CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The best solution in a PvP shooter is cosmetic only. It's the most pro consumer option and it is currently the method that is drawing the most profits.

There are literally no examples of a PvP shooter franchise adding gameplay altering microtransactions and becoming more successful. Literally 0.

Meanwhile cs go went from being mildly successful to setting the world on fire almost entirely due to cosmetic only microtransactions.

I would argue that it caught fire because of skin gambling, not because of the cosmetics themselves. But MSFT isn't going to add a gambling service to their cosmetic system, they'd have to redo the whole thing. They'd have to create an economy with varying rarity AND quality of skins first, plus add skins that can be gotten only from purchaseable boxes. It would be a complete overhaul, and even then it might not work. Plus they'd get a lot of backlash for it

This should be interesting, judging by the first 30 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I would argue that it caught fire because of skin gambling, not because of the cosmetics themselves. But MSFT isn't going to add a gambling service to their cosmetic system, they'd have to redo the whole thing. They'd have to create an economy with varying rarity AND quality of skins first, plus add skins that can be gotten only from purchaseable boxes. It would be a complete overhaul, and even then it might not work. Plus they'd get a lot of backlash for it

Why would there be backlash?

Adequate execution being necessary goes without saying... without that, non of the monetization scenes work... besides that i detailed explicitly how it would need to be executed.

Halo should be the easiest to pull off because in the core game, progression has no bearing on the sandbox. Simply banish the rng system to Warzone - and allow the rest of the game functions as it always has.

The problems come from trying to heavy-handedly divert people to the RNG. In halo5, that materialized by dissolving the progression system and tying customization to RNG. There's simply no need to do that - its bad exection. Not only do Warzone fans dislike getting fucking visors in req packs when they are hunting weapons but core halo fans dislike not having any real agency over their spartan or their progression.

I don't think enough people would play warzone to warrant its existance if it wasn't tied to cosmetics and didn't give out a disproportionately high amount of exp.

Especially in a game with actual btb and social.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How do you guys feel about Hologram? Useful tool of deception or pointless gimmick?

I don't think enough people would play warzone to warrant its existance if it wasn't tied to cosmetics and didn't give out a disproportionately high amount of exp.

Especially in a game with actual btb and social.

It might not seem like it here, but warzone is the most played component of halo 5, by far. That's despite it being the most structurally broken mode in the game.

If you think this is purely because of cosmetics and disproportional xp payouts, you are playing yourself. SWAT and Warzone Assualt actually give the higher payouts per min yet have much lower populations than Warzone, for example.

Face it, people actually like warzone.

With a proper btb and social, obviously, the population wouldn't be so skewed towards warzone - but it also wouldn't be unjustifiably small either. Not to mention the game in general would be more more popular, which would benefit all playlists. I also, imagine there would be attempts at generally improving warzone as well.

If MLG playlists were sustainable back in the day, there's no way Warzone wouldn't be.

How do you guys feel about Hologram? Useful tool of deception or pointless gimmick?

Bullshit in competitive. Social and Warzone? Have at it, i say.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It might not seem like it here, but warzone is the most played component of halo 5, by far. That's despite it being the most structurally broken mode in the game.

If you think this is purely because of cosmetics and disproportional xp payouts, you are playing yourself. SWAT and Warzone Assualt actually give the higher payouts per min yet have much lower populations than Warzone, for example.

Face it, people actually like warzone.

With a proper btb and social, obviously, the population wouldn't be so skewed towards warzone - but it also wouldn't be unjustifiably small either. also i imagine there would be attempts at generally improving warzone as well. If MLG playlists were sustainable back in the day, there's no way Warzone wouldn't be.

No playlist in h3 took up anywhere near the dev time and resources warzone did.

Social always draws the overwhelming lion's share of the population. Warzone was the only social offering in h5. Add increased exp, rp and the entire player inventive system being geared towards it and you're going too see population flow there.

The big question is did rerouting the population through warzone drive the overall population down. I believe it did.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bullshit in competitive. Social and Warzone? Have at it, i say.

Why is it bullshit in competitive? Isn't it kinda like the opposite of Camo? Camo removes your player model. Hologram doubles your player model.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This should be interesting, judging by the first 30 seconds.

Interesting video. Watched like 15 mins of it and while hes not completely wrong and I'm impressed to see a more casual person say those things his general attitude is so annoying I can't watch the rest. Sincerely doubt anyone from 343 is going to sit there and ever listen to that video so its a waste of space

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is it bullshit in competitive? Isn't it kinda like the opposite of Camo? Camo removes your player model. Hologram doubles your player model.

Hologram is another one of those "whats the point?" abilities.  Its not efficacious enough to warrant going out of your way to pick it up as a power up, and its total bullshit to have it as a base trait.  Its a gimmick that at best is mildly effective until anybody with a brain gets used to it being a thing and at worst is moderately annoying.

Its another "addition that doesn't actually add anything".

• Upvote (+1) 5

Hologram is another one of those "whats the point?" abilities.  Its not efficacious enough to warrant going out of your way to pick it up as a power up, and its total bullshit to have it as a base trait.  Its a gimmick that at best is mildly effective until anybody with a brain gets used to it being a thing and at worst is moderately annoying.

Its another "addition that doesn't actually add anything".

Why is Hologram not effacious?

Why is Hologram not efficacious?

Because even at it's best it'll distract your enemy for maybe 0.2 seconds. In reality what it does is give away your position.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Interesting video. Watched like 15 mins of it and while hes not completely wrong and I'm impressed to see a more casual person say those things his general attitude is so annoying I can't watch the rest. Sincerely doubt anyone from 343 is going to sit there and ever listen to that video so its a waste of space

Yeah I sat through the whole thing and while he does have some good points, the video is just stretched beyond belief and he repeats himself too often. As you said it's cool that someone outside Teambeyond thinks that Sprint and the other AAs are cancer and need to go and he has some great points overall. But some of his ideas are just flat out ******** (ranking system should only care about individual performance, H5's TTK is too fast, the radar is too small and that's why H5 is so chaotic, we should push for classic playlists etc.)

Pretty sure that video was not meant as feedback for 343 but just to make fun of them. He individually mocks multiple 343 higher-ups, which I enjoyed of course, but it kind of makes it impossible for the video to be taken seriously. I think he just wants rile people up tbh.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because even at it's best it'll distract your enemy for maybe 0.2 seconds. In reality what it does is give away your position.

Is 0.2 seconds not enough time to gain the upper hand on your opponent?

Hologram would only be useful in a game with instant kill times because that one second your enemy is distracted by it could result in his death. It would actually be an effective tool.

With Halo having longer kill times, it wouldn't really work. Hologram was useless in Reach unless you were playing noobs.

Is 0.2 seconds not enough time to gain the upper hand on your opponent?

With hologram? no.  In Reach hologram stopped having any kind of effectiveness very quickly.  Its shimmer, its straight line moderate movement speed.  It became easy to tell at a glance that it was nothing but as soon as you saw it you knew EXACTLY where the opponent was.

Say you see a hologram and shoot 1 bullet at it then go "oh duh", odds are you are looking towards or near where the hologram came from meaning the person that threw it really wont get a jump on you. 0.2 seconds makes a difference if you start shooting first when you are outside of that opponents LoS, which wouldnt be the case a lot of the time.

Oh fuck no. My new phone case makes it damn near impossible to press the neg button.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Every h4 supply drop aside from camo and promethean vision, should be in warzone. The hardlight shield was actually fun to use

Every h4 supply drop aside from camo and promethean vision, should be in warzone. The hardlight shield was actually fun to use

We're out of buttons though. You'd have to replace thrust and all the movement tech that comes with it to allow armor abilities again.

We're out of buttons though. You'd have to replace thrust and all the movement tech that comes with it to allow armor abilities again.

Not if we all adopt the controller I posted a picture of above ^^.

Next gen adapting.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Use your fucking chin

• Upvote (+1) 3

No

Stop