CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

How many of you guys were aware that Warzone Assault broke a couple monthsafter release for the Oceanic region making it impossible to find a game for a few months.

Tests were done by the playerbase one night and a few Spartan companies organised one night for all their members to play WZA. They all searched and found a game, but Dedicated servers wouldn't start, and if they ever did make it into the game it would crash soon anyway.

It was broken for months until 343 finally fixed it, by then it was too late anyway and everyone had abandoned the playlist after months of it being broken.

Fuck yeah guys Halo 5's launch was sweet, the game didn't have any major bugs at all bungie fanboys.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How many of you guys were aware that Warzone Assault broke a couple monthsafter release for the Oceanic region making it impossible to find a game for a few months.

Tests were done by the playerbase one night and a few Spartan companies organised one night for all their members to play WZA. They all searched and found a game, but Dedicated servers wouldn't start, and if they ever did make it into the game it would crash soon anyway.

It was broken for months until 343 finally fixed it, by then it was too late anyway and everyone had abandoned the playlist after months of it being broken.

Fuck yeah guys Halo 5's launch was sweet, the game didn't have any major bugs at all bungie fanboys.

Maybe don't try to play games in the middle of the Ocean. :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe don't try to play games in the middle of the Ocean. :kappa:

Dad? Is that you?

I thought you were going to get milk.

No there is a huge difference. Especially when Cod requires like 8 hours of playtime to unlock everything. I don't know if you followed cod at all these last years but microtransactions like that stopped many people from playing. But I don't know how many games without them people don't play because "there's no micro transactions".

Like I said, MT's in COD impacted the game at its core. People PREFERED grinding for their advantages- and having agency over the advantages they obtained overtime. The way MTs were implimented took that away.

That was the source of the displeasure.

The game was never "balanced", and no more "imbalanced" by the inclusion of MTs

I think WII is going to reverse CODs sales trend and have lengthy retention because the gameplay will be widely seen as fun - which was COD's biggest problem over last few years.

Warzone MTs don't impact Halo at its core. As the gameplay effects are isolated to one mode. Beyond that, [b}fans[/b} of Warzone have no affinity towards a different progression model because it's only ever been one way.

They made over $1.5 million from reqs back in 2016.From a business standpoint i doubt they're going anywhere.

Edit:I'm also pretty sure the $1.5 figure does not include req money sent to the hcs prize pool which inflates even more how much they made.

That's a drop in the bucket compared to what CSGO, overwatch and destiny are doing with microtransactions.

So you've come to the conclusion that cod has declined BECAUSE of MTs. And not because of the games being shit at their cores thanks to actual gameplay changes...

Ok

If your game offers the gameplay people expect from it, they'll play it even if MTs exist... especially if the gameplay altering MTs effect an isolated mode.

I dont disagree that cosmetics only can work. Destiny simply has a different business model- Activision simply trying different things. But if destiny ADDED a single mode that isn't cosmetics only, they would make more money without alienating previous fans- who would just stick to the modes they like.

Warzone doesn't play like people expect halo to play and it is not isolated. No matter what you say the inclusion of a mode like warzone that takes a huge developmental effort does effect the rest of the game.

Plus once the game launches with a player incentive system that is geared towards only one mode people will feel forced to play it. Due to it having heavy handed, game play altering microtransactions it will play like shit. Causing the entire game to lose population and potential revenue.

Warzone isn't going anywhere, its a cashcow. Double posting to shift the topic a bit

The req system needs to be revamped. Cosmetics should be completely separated from RNG. there are few things less fun than getting a bunch of cosmetic items you don't want, and rarely getting the few you do. 

There should be 3 ways to obtain cosmetic items

1. Unlock them via specific commendations
  2. Unlock them by spending RP on exactly what you want
  3. Unlock them by spending cash on exactly what you want

Some special items would be commendation only. some would be cash only. most would be obtainable via RP or cash

• Weapons skins that appear without them having to be a spawn weapon. You pick up the gun, your skin is applied to that gun, even for people that pick it up after you die.
  • Vehicle skins, same principle.
  • Armor pieces.
  • Armor colors.
  • Armor wear and tear.
  • Visors & Visors wear and tear.
  • Emblems
  • Armor effects (subtle)
  • Firefight characters/voice lines maybe.
  • Different weapon models possibly. (think H2 BR model but acts exactly the same as H6 BR)
  • Proper aiming system
  • Weapon stickers
  • Etc etc etc.

^^^ These are all facts

Warzone's biggest problem isn't the MTs. If MTs were removed, it would still be a snow bally, mess where the majority of fighting is funneled through rehashed garages and armories- compounded by an balance between infantry and vehicles that permeates the entire sandbox. 

The scoring, the spawn system, and the req UX/UI all need total rehaul. 

Scoring

• I'd remove spartan kills, and armory captures as a scoring conditions. Instead, scoring would be exclusively tied to completing objectives.  
  • I'd have AI continuously appearing around the battlefield. No more bullet sponge bosses. instead, high ranking officers flanked by low level enemies- just like in the campaign. AI Enemies would be trying to neutralize objectives. 
  • Killing AI would be worth a small amount of points in relation to completing objectives. 

Bases

• Rather than bases scoring points, holding them would provide a spawn point and unlock certain perks. for example, one base could give a team access to certain  Air Vehicles,the second ground vehicles, and the third, allow ranged weaponry. when holding these bases, players could utilize these perks w/o using their req inventory. 
  • the perks would vary per map, and 343 could change the perks associated with bases every few months to switch up the flow of certain maps. 

Objectives

• There need to WAY more objectives, and at least 2 objectives running concurrently at all times. 
  • CTF, Neutral Flag, and Bomb should be incorporated

UX

• req stations and the req menu are trash.
  • attachment choosing and loadout queuing should be available at anytime , ala battlefield 
  • then, i should be able to "drop" my loadout onto the field when i have the req energy for it the items i queued rather than waiting to die or get to a req station
  • if i'm in the field of play, vehicles should be brought to my location via pelican or dropship

Spawning

• should be able to spawn on teammates so long as their aren't enemies around

i could get more indepth. i wanted to talk about how weapons would be unlocked, how weapon variants should function, and how what req packs would actually bring to the table.  but my son just woke up. but in short, people who havent spent a million dollars or played a million hours shouldnt feel hopeless. so long as they are playing the objective, they should have access to the tools they need to succeed. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1) Warzone doesn't play like people expect halo to play and it is not isolated. No matter what you say the inclusion of a mode like warzone that takes a huge developmental effort does effect the rest of the game.

2) Plus once the game launches with a player incentive system that is geared towards only one mode people will feel forced to play it. Due to it having heavy handed, game play altering microtransactions it will play like shit. Causing the entire game to lose population and potential revenue.

1) No. warzone doesn't play like YOU expect it to play. A lot of people like it. Some that don't like the execution, see untapped potential.  You are never going to make a game mode that pleases everyone. that's why having traditional modes in tact is paramount. i don't care what the development effort is. if you are going to include a new mode, especially one that's going to bring in additional revenue, than you invest in the talent and resources to make it happen without sacrificing what came before. 

2) The incentive this issue is separate from the existence of warzone. people who don't like Warzone feel forced to play warzone because cosmetics were arbitrarily assigned to the RNG grind that warzone accelerates, rather than having a rewarding progression system. No one who prefers traditional halo would ever feel "forced to play warzone" if the only things req packs unlocked were warzone items. 

1) No. warzone doesn't play like YOU expect it to play. A lot of people like it. Some that don't like the execution, see untapped potential. You are never going to make a game mode that pleases everyone. that's why having traditional modes in tact is paramount. i don't care what the development effort is. if you are going to include a new mode, especially one that's going to bring in additional revenue, than you invest in the talent and resources to make it happen without sacrificing what came before.

2) The incentive this issue is separate from the existence of warzone. people who don't like Warzone feel forced to play warzone because cosmetics were arbitrarily assigned to the RNG grind that warzone accelerates, rather than having a rewarding progression system. No one who prefers traditional halo would ever feel "forced to play warzone" if the only things req packs unlocked were warzone items.

1. Well we have no real way to argue how many people liked or disliked warzone. We don't have access to adequate data. All we really know is that most of h5's population went to warzone and h5's population was abysmal. So at best it failed to redeem the game and at worst it was a leading cause of h5's population issues.

2. If you seperated it that way people who like warzone would feel pressured to have to play arena to unlock cosmetics. It's a lose lose situation.

The fact of the matter is cosmetic only microtransactions have proven to be very effective at making money and they don't negatively effect your game in any way. Like with most things 343 needs to apply the KISS method.

Or microtransactions could die in a fire and fee2play business practices using RNG lootboxes which are basically gambling lite could be regulated like actual gambling by people who understand it AS IT SHOULD BE.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1. Well we have no real way to argue how many people liked or disliked warzone. We don't have access to adequate data. All we really know is that most of h5's population went to warzone and h5's population was abysmal. So at best it failed to redeem the game and at worst it was a leading cause of h5's population issues.

2. If you seperated it that way people who like warzone would feel pressured to have to play arena to unlock cosmetics. It's a lose lose situation.

The fact of the matter is cosmetic only microtransactions have proven to be very effective at making money and they don't negatively effect your game in any way. Like with most things 343 needs to apply the KISS method.

1) no, you've cant free yourself from your biases. Halo's population was abysmal because 1) the campaign was trash 2) the "traditional" multiplayer was trash and lacked most of the content people came to expect. 3) Warzone was positioned as a replacement instead of an additive new feature. Warzone was never "redeem" the missing features, nor was it ever going to alleviate population issues.

2) no. cosmetics would be unlocked by commendations that span the entire game, just like previous systems. you'd be able to get them through warzone or traditional modes,

there will be no KISS method, because Warzone made a ton of money. so its not even worth talking about.

There efforts,realistically, will go towards 1) improving warzone and making warzone more attractive to those who didnt like it 2) making the overall game more attractive, even to those who will never like warzone (proper campaign, arena, mm,btb , gametypes, aiming, progression, etc)

1) no, you've cant free yourself from your biases. Halo's population was abysmal because 1) the campaign was trash 2) the "traditional" multiplayer was trash and lacked most of the content people came to expect. 3) Warzone was positioned as a replacement instead of an additive new feature. Warzone was never "redeem" the missing features, nor was it ever going to alleviate population issues.

2) no. cosmetics would be unlocked by commendations that span the entire game, just like previous systems. you'd be able to get them through warzone or traditional modes,

there will be no KISS method, because Warzone made a ton of money. so its not even worth talking about.

1- These are just assumptions.

2- Warzone made less money then cosmetics in cs go, OW and destiny.

1- These are just assumptions.

2- Warzone made less money then cosmetics in cs go, OW and destiny.

Can't have this convo without speculation.

Those games are better games than halo, and are on more popular platforms. Theyd make more money than ANY system halo utilizes.

For the record, i think cosmetics should be handled in a completely different manner (as I've mentioned above)

But removing warzone MTs isnt a requirement for improving cosmetics, monetizing cosmetics, improving the progression system, or improving all of the various gameplay and quality issues that impacted the games population.

Also warzone isn't going anywhere so... warzones population has always been healthy. The other playlists struggle to retain players because they are trash. If you don't like warzone or prefer traditional halo, there is little recource. The solution is to make those modes good.

Can't have this convo without speculation.

Those games are better games than halo, and are on more popular platforms. Theyd make more money than ANY system halo utilizes.

I'd be willing to bet destiny made more money through eververse last year on xbox alone then h5 did through req packs in the same time period.

You're seemingly forgetting a key point here. Cosmetics are permanent. Most people I know hold permanent cosmetics in higher esteem then fire and forget gameplay microtransactions.

I'd be willing to bet destiny made more money through eververse last year on xbox alone then h5 did through req packs in the same time period.

You're seemingly forgetting a key point here. Cosmetics are permanent. Most people I know hold permanent cosmetics in higher esteem then fire and forget gameplay microtransactions.

Are we completely forgetting REQ packs have cosmetics in them?

And this would still be true of h5 had cosmetic mts and no warzone- because Destiny was much more popular than halo on xbox.. In fact the revenue gap would likely be wider.

Like i said. I'm all for that cosmetic overhaul...

cosmetics should not be tied to reqpacks or rng

Correcting that would have no bearing on warzone whatsoever. There is litterally no reason to look at it as an either or proposition.

So what are we all expecting from Halo 6? Return to form, at the very least in its art and music, or just more of the same old shit we've had in H4 and H5?

Holy shit Rainbow 6 Siege is so refreshing.

A UNIQUE FPS In 2016/2017!

ITS INCREDIBLE

haha and i think Its boring AF.  It's "hurry up and wait". Like buying a fucking house.  If i'm not actively engaged with enemies the majority of the time, i'm not having fun.  I know its a quality game, but i can't play it.  

You keep comparing games to Halo that had much larger active populations.

Trying to argue that having MORE avenues to charge microtransactions will make LESS money doesn't make sense.  The mere existence isn't the problem, the execution is.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Or microtransactions could die in a fire

lol keep dreaming.Microtransactions were Pandora's box and now that it's been opened everyone wants a piece of that sweet $$.

Are we completely forgetting REQ packs have cosmetics in them?

No...

You were pretty much forced to play warzone to earn req points in order to get the cosmetic stuff.

So what are we all expecting from Halo 6? Return to form, at the very least in its art and music, or just more of the same old shit we've had in H4 and H5?

Said it before but people would be crazy to expect a return to form, especially after how Halo 5 can be perceived that way by the developers yet still flopped.

I hope you've already planned on what Hero you've chosen to main.  Locke's "Armor Locke" ultimate seems like the best one, I'll probably be playing him the most out of the entire cast.  Though Kelly's SuperSpeed ultimate seems enticing as well...

• Upvote (+1) 3

Either a continuation of H5 or they go full 343 and make it a hero shooter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Said it before but people would be crazy to expect a return to form, especially after how Halo 5 can be perceived that way by the developers yet still flopped.

I hope you've already planned on what Hero you've chosen to main.  Locke's "Armor Locke" ultimate seems like the best one, I'll probably be playing him the most out of the entire cast.  Though Kelly's SuperSpeed ultimate seems enticing as well...

If there is a resurrect hero I'm done with Halo forever.