CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Thanks for that valuable feedback. I don't know what I would do without your knowledge and wisdom.

Thanks for that valuable feedback. I don't know what I would do without your knowledge and wisdom.

What's your credit score kid?

That's awesome. I'm glad that mechanic works for other games. I think it would be shit in Halo. I don't want to feel like a airplane accelerating down a runway, gradually gaining speed. In Halo, I think players should quickly accelerate to top speed regardless of what direction they move in.

For Halo? Yes I do think that is poor design.

That's great that the mechanics are clearly communicated as to when they can be used but that doesn't make the implementation of the mechanics themselves inherently good.

What do you see as the positive and negatives of sprint in Halo? Could what you see as positives be retained in some way without sprint?

It's not really what I see as positives l. It's what "they" see as positives.

Risk/reward and "tactical decisions"- Not worth keeping in any way.

Immersion- Worth looking at finding an alternative.

Feeling of speed- Worth looking at finding an alternative.

Traversing huge areas- Worth looking at finding an alternative.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dodge of the century

Excuse you, he activated his conduit and formed a wall between you and him. You must find a new route.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If you run over a trip mine, you blow up and die. If you run over a Gravity Well, you fall in and die.

The idea is to introduce attacks from above, like a lightning strike gun, and attacks from below, like this pit creator turret. All other projectiles originate from your weapon. I am trying to find a way to deal damage without it coming straight forward out of your weapon.

Any thoughts on how this could be accomplished? My first take was to attack from above and below, from the sky and from the ground.

So it's functionally identical to a big fat trip mine that persists after use? And the ground just disappears where it's fired? That sounds like hell to animate and not have it look awkward as shit. What does a hole in the ground look like as it's flying through the air? Can there only be one out a time or are we coating every approach to our base in Sarlac pits? It's either not worth seeking out and being vulnerable while you fire it, or its cheesy as fuck and makes the map play like ass. And that still doesn't answer the question of why it needs to be fired from a turret instead of put on the ground like H3?

Strikes from below that don't involve shooting...this seems like something that should be map specific and a theme of the map. What about various buttons in your base that open trap doors on the approaches?

Last week, 343’s handsome herald of community concerns – ske7ch, obviously – paid our humble pages a visit to talk about the opening salvo of upcoming sandbox adjustments being planned for Halo 5 in the near future. We know we could just dump all these obviously-completely-done-and-just-sitting-there tuning details all at one time, but we wouldn't want to deprive the world of any politely-postulated forum posts, would we? If you're excited to read up on the next set of weapons getting some friendly tune-ups, our man ske7ch has got you covered... take it away, Brian!

Grim owning Team Beyond once again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So it's functionally identical to a big fat trip mine that persists after use?

Pretty much but the radius of the hole is variable (based on the charge time before firing, longer charge = bigger hole) so it would be more similar to a trip mine that has a variable blast radius that is determined by the user who deploys it.

And the ground just disappears where it's fired?

Pretty much. It's like you are creating a pond and Spartans can't swim so they die if they fall in.

That sounds like hell to animate and not have it look awkward as shit. What does a hole in the ground look like as it's flying through the air?

Since there is a mandatory charge time before firing, I would just make the weapon hitscan. You would just bloop these pits into existence when you released the trigger.

Can there only be one out a time or are we coating every approach to our base in Sarlac pits?

Yeah only one at a time and there is a cooldown after firing (longer charge time before firing = bigger pit = longer cooldown after firing, shorter charge time before firing = smaller pit = shorter cooldown after firing).

The pits would naturally disappear after a certain time or would disappear if you fired a second pit while the first was still active.

It's either not worth seeking out and being vulnerable while you fire it, or its cheesy as fuck and makes the map play like ass. And that still doesn't answer the question of why it needs to be fired from a turret instead of put on the ground like H3?

I don't want to dedicate an entire button on the controller to deploying equipment. I also don't want an entire class of equipment-like items that can be instantly deployed by infantry. Using a turret to deploy an equipment-like object seems like the best solution.

Strikes from below that don't involve shooting...this seems like something that should be map specific and a theme of the map. What about various buttons in your base that open trap doors on the approaches?

I think that trap doors connected to switches isn't a bad idea either. I just think it would be funny to have some enemy driving a warthog, go off a hill, catch some air, only to realize he is headed straight for a well placed death pit that he has no chance of avoiding since he is airborne.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't see reiku's orginal comment. What did it say?

"Because the HCS pros cry about every little thing."

Crosstoast

How to fix Halo and appeal to both new fans and old fans without breaking the game:

1. 4 shot kill projectile pistol starting weapon. This is the best starting weapon for 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8. It lets you as an individual contest multiple players but prevents it from being overpowered when you increase the player count. It also lets you have both open maps and close quarters maps. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only starting weapon that will ever work for Halo.

2. No strafe acceleration. In games like Doom and Overwatch, you can move left and right instantly. In games like Halo and Destiny, it takes some time for you to hit your top movement speed when suddenly changing directions. Removing this will emphasize the "dance" of strafing. Changing this lets the Pistol be powerful again.

3. No "Spartan Abilities", but keep movement mechanics. Changing strafe lets us have strafe jumping, which would allow the player to gain momentum by jumping in any direction. This replaces both Sprint and Thrust by giving players a movement increasing ability that doesn't require you to put your fucking gun down. Ground Pound would also then be repurposed into a "Fast Fall" mechanic that lets you drop out of the air right where you are. I guess it could kill a player if you land directly above them, but its primary use would be movement. Combining Strafe Jumping and Fast Falling will lead to skillbased movement without giving you a win button. Speaking of buttons, this just freed two of them up on the controller. Imagine that!

Slide becomes an extension of strafe jumping; simply crouch while strafe jumping forward to slide into cover or towards an enemy with your gun up. And since it actually improves level design, we should add a Double Jump. It replaces clamber and auto stabilize, killing two birds with one stone and yet again freeing up inputs on the controller. It also serves as a way to cancel your forward momentum; you either keep holding forward to double jump forward, or tilt the stick in any other direction to cancel your momentum and jump straight upwards. I think it could be a good addition to Halo by letting maps be more vertical and platformy without requiring lifts, jump ups or clamber. 

SImply changing how strafe works leads to a more skillful, more intuitive and more aggressive Halo game where your gun is always up for you to shoot.

4. Every vehicle should have both a shield and non recharging heatlh. The shield can simply be tied to the player. In Halo 3, if your team pulled out their ARs to wittle down the Banshee shields, they could easily kill the player out of the vehicle with sustained fire while barely damaging the Banshee. However, I think it's been tied more to vehicle health ever since then, so you just get shot to shit in a vehicle and go hide until it blows up. Making this more consistent will let vehicles be viable and balanced again.

With these changes, Halo is fast, it's skillful, it's tactical, it's easy to pick up and understand but hard to master, and there's nothing else like it on the market. And best of all, this game will be 10x more fun to Forge maps for.

• Upvote (+1) 4

What's your credit score kid?

810 - Whats your gamertag?

810 - Whats your gamertag?

I bet you're too afraid to give me your social security number.

It's impossible to scale everything to BMS in a game that uses vechiles as frequently as halo.

There's always going to be times where you're stranded on foot in a huge area where you're probably meant to be in a vechile.

Like when you flip in a warthog and your asshole friend gets back in and drives off without you.

If a map developer wants an area to be effectively traversed on foot, then they need to install cover, or raise and dip terrain accordingly.

Also don't give everyone fucking hitscan BRs with ridiculous range.

Sprint doesnt suddenly make areas meant for vehicles good for infantry. It's not like you can sprint as fast as a warthog.

All sprint does is make is impossible to balance weapons because when you account for sprint speed, base speed becomes underpowered. Throwing that mechanic in so that a player can wave his arms as he traverses areas that are too big isnt worth the downsides.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If a map developer wants an area to be effectively traversed on foot, then they need to install cover, or raise and dip terrain accordingly.

I would point to Halo 2's Containment. It has the perimeter cave routes and the sunken paths through the middle of the map the provide cover for infantry. I think the takeaway is that, if you don't want "no man's land" don't design a map with no routes specifically designed for infantry.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I would point to Halo 2's Containment. It has the perimeter cave routes and the sunken paths through the middle of the map the provide cover for infantry. I think the takeaway is that, if you don't want "no man's land" don't design a map with no routes specifically designed for infantry.

Even beyond that its possible and desirable to have that work for vehicles AND infantry.

hills, trees and static structures can be properly placed such that infantry and vehicles can traverse the same areas, but differently

Even beyond that its possible and desirable to have that work for vehicles AND infantry.

hills, trees and static structures can be properly placed such that infantry and vehicles can traverse the same areas, but differently

You could even consider the Camo power up as something that helps infantry traverse larger maps. It doesn't make vehicles invisible so it only benefits infantry. Are there any other hypothetical power ups that could help infantry combat vehicles?