CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Why would you use this? You're hardly ever run out of ammo for your utility weapon.

So a weapon whose top quality is unlimited ammo at the cost of a slow ttk seems really pointless.

hmm...

Unlimited ammo wouldn't really be the perk, it would be potentially not having to reload.

But I see your point. I'm just tryna get my Boyo on. Let me live.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What about a needler grenade that once it settles sends out a full clip of needless towards the closest person. The lore is off the charts with this one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What if instead of needles it's some sort of tracking turtle shell, and what if instead of finding the nearest person, it finds the player with the most kills in the game and kills them?

Jesus Christ Ahahaha

• Upvote (+1) 8

What if instead of needles it's some sort of tracking turtle shell, and what if instead of finding the nearest person, it finds the player with the most kills in the game and kills them?

you had me at tracking. i mean turtle. i mean shell. fuck.

After playing H5, I can safely say that I like longer recharge delays. More fights end in a death, which is good for the pace of the game and reduces frustration. If you truly deserve to get your shield back, you will. I feel like in H5 it comes back too quick and you essentially have to die twice far too often.

What if we bound the recharge delay to your movement? Like you got it back at max speed if you stood still, and walking made it take longer but would still come back? Sounds like decent risk/reward to me.

After playing H5, I can safely say that I like longer recharge delays. More fights end in a death, which is good for the pace of the game and reduces frustration. If you truly deserve to get your shield back, you will. I feel like in H5 it comes back too quick and you essentially have to die twice far too often.

What if we bound the recharge delay to your movement? Like you got it back at max speed if you stood still, and walking made it take longer but would still come back? Sounds like decent risk/reward to me.

KISS

• Upvote (+1) 3

GpcSuwZ.gif

2 or 3 times yesterday that happened to me.  I put the controller down and got a beer.

Who should win, the person purposefully going for the 3 shot beatdown or the person sprinting and spamming the beatdown button?  The sprinter obviously duh

FUCK

Like the current implementation of sprint delay or a more dynamic delay?  

Not sure how i feel about that.  If its a binary thing like we have now with sprint,  that is just awkward.

If its more of an extended delay for BMS, what happens when you stand still for some of the delay then start moving and how is that communicated to the player?  Do you think people would "Feel" like it was awkward if sometimes it took 4 seconds and sometimes it took 6 or anywhere in between?

I think the shield mechanic is too easy to use. 343 should require a credit card subscription to subsidize the cost of maintaining energy shielding technology. It has to be really expensive and Spartans just use it whenever they please. You should be charged 5$ whenever you want to gain your shield back. I think this will increase the tactical gameplay by forcing players to think smarter about engagements and decide whether they want to fight and potentailly die, or save their energy for when they really need it. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Spartan Charge pisses me off to no end. There's a lot of stuff I don't like about Halo 5 but Spartan Charge is the one feature I can't stand the most.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seems arbitrary and would only slow down the game IMO.

If I win my 1v1 my reward should be my shields recharging. I shouldn't have to stand still In order to prepare for next fight.

• Upvote (+1) 2

2 or 3 times yesterday that happened to me. I put the controller down and got a beer.

Who should win, the person purposefully going for the 3 shot beatdown or the person sprinting and spamming the beatdown button? The sprinter obviously duh

FUCK

Like the current implementation of sprint delay or a more dynamic delay?

Not sure how i feel about that. If its a binary thing like we have now with sprint, that is just awkward.

If its more of an extended delay for BMS, what happens when you stand still for some of the delay then start moving and how is that communicated to the player? Do you think people would "Feel" like it was awkward if sometimes it took 4 seconds and sometimes it took 6 or anywhere in between?

H5 has the right idea with the yellow bar for recharge delay. Keep that, and have it deplete faster when you're not moving and slower when you are.

Seems arbitrary and would only slow down the game IMO.

If I win my 1v1 my reward should be my shields recharging. I shouldn't have to stand still In order to prepare for next fight.

The problem is that as it stands now, you can get your shield while still engaged if you just break LoS for an it, even if your shooter is actively trying to re engage. How many times have you flew in on a guy to finish and he already has his shield somehow? That's why I want a longer delay. However, as you said, if you DO win your fight you deserve to get them back. That's why I chose standing still as the means to get them back faster, bc it's not as feasible while you're still engaged. I like that it forces you to make a decision about your safety vs your position.

I guess I just think that the recharge delay and recharge rate are actually in a good place.  Its not so fast, but its not so slow that it slows the game down.

Maybe if sprint is removed the recharge delay could be extended, but even then the maps would get smaller so it may not be necessary.  It seems to me like recharge delay, as simple of a mechanic as it is, is one of the harder things to see the effect of until all the other mechanics are in place.

A good example of Simple =/= Easy

• Upvote (+1) 2

H5's base shield delay and charge time are actually in a really good place IMO. How about instead of further complicating the shield mechanics, we just remove all of the damn Escape Gimmicks and buff the utility weapon?

Magnetism aside, it didn't seem to be much of an issue in Evolved. Keep It Simple Stupid.

GpcSuwZ.gif

You should've waited for him to charge you and then melee him for the lunge to still kill him. Such a fool.

An example of H5 forcing you to counter noobish mechanics with other noobish mechanics. Disgusting.

I'm really starting to hate the term risk/reward. That's never been the concept for arena shooters which are normally about no compromises. Anything that incentives any player should stand still is not okay in my book.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm really starting to hate the term risk/reward. That's never been the concept for arena shooters which are normally about no compromises. Anything that incentives any player should stand still is not okay in my book.

This

Holy fuck this!

Save your risk/reward concepts for arma.

Halo shouldnt be about tactical decisions and compromises. It should be about doing a bunch of shit at the same time.

Rsik/reward logic is what led us to sprint.

Could you guys describe what it is you don't like about risk/reward because pretty much everything is some level of risk/reward.

Risk traveling to an exposed location for the reward of a power weapon.

Risk moving with no weapon for the reward of capturing an objective.

Risk revealing your location by firing at an enemy for the reward of killing an enemy.

What specifically don't you like about risk/reward?

Could you guys describe what it is you don't like about risk/reward because pretty much everything is some level of risk/reward.

Risk traveling to an exposed location for the reward of a power weapon.

Risk moving with no weapon for the reward of capturing an objective.

Risk revealing your location by firing at an enemy for the reward of killing an enemy.

What specifically don't you like about risk/reward?

I think the complaints are about trying to arbitrarily inject extra risk/reward into a mechanic beyond what is just "inherent".  The risk of being exposed while going to a power weapon is inherent.  You dont need to add extra risk by making the floor hot lava lol

• Upvote (+1) 5

The problem is that as it stands now, you can get your shield while still engaged if you just break LoS for an it, even if your shooter is actively trying to re engage. How many times have you flew in on a guy to finish and he already has his shield somehow? That's why I want a longer delay. However, as you said, if you DO win your fight you deserve to get them back. That's why I chose standing still as the means to get them back faster, bc it's not as feasible while you're still engaged. I like that it forces you to make a decision about your safety vs your position.

I think this problem goes away with sprint and thrust

With two different move speeds, a player who is trying to disengage, can create too much separation from a player who is trying to shoot him.

With everyone at the same speed, a true do or die engagement will actually end with someone dying, more than likely.

I think a player who wins an engagement should get their shields back AND be free to push towards the next engagement, or even start one if they get the jump on someone.

• Upvote (+1) 3