CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

@@Snipe Three

Even if only one or two players per team capped the objective in a match, it would allow for some form of class based warfare to occur, while still fitting within the confines of arena gameplay. One player gets faster movement which makes him the scout. Another player gets explosive resistance which makes him the tank. That sort of thing could be interesting, even if only one player at a time is given the benefit.

I tried giving Halo 5's campaign another chance after marathoning the original trilogy. Just ended up making myself real sad :(

Story, gameplay, level design? 

All of the above?

Story, gameplay, level design?

All of the above?

Yeah. Just experiencing the sharp decrease in quality from the OG trilogy to 5 is so jarring. Really puts into perspective how far we've fallen. There's still a lot to love about the series though, and the prospect of Halo 3 becoming backwards compatible makes me really excited.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

For me the worst part about Halo 5's campaign is fighting the Prometheans so damn much. They are so boring to fight against and just feel cheap most of the time. Playing through solo legendary felt like such a grind because of them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No. Grenade physics were more realistic in H2, H3 and Reach; Grass, sand and snow made frags slow down or altogether stop when they made contact. 4 and 5 made Frags bouncy regardless of terrain.

Along with Warthogs

I've seen better vehicle handling in mariokart.

EDIT- I think we should add koopa shells to Halo 

Quick question, how much do you agree with this statement: "Everyone has it, therefore the game is balanced."

I honestly think the statement is a load of horseshit, and leads to shitty broken gameplay experiences under the pretense of lazy as fuck "balance".

• Upvote (+1) 3

That shit is fucking ********. "How to waste approx. 1mo of time, the Army way"

Thankfully they've got this one down to 22 days, but we have zero days off. It's completely mind numbing so far.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Thankfully they've got this one down to 22 days, but we have zero days off. It's completely mind numbing so far.

The one here is a full month with weekends off. It doesn't get any better. Though the field shit is fun because you come back in that night so you can do whatever the fuck you want during the day. One guy who just got back was lowcrawling around for the hell of it just and giving random advice to the females who were lost in the sauce. The instructors thought it was hilarious. The misled... not so much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't lurked these forums in a while, so sorry if this is a retread...

What are people's thoughts on Halo changing up their release format? For example, in my personal opinion, I think Halo should release on both Xbox and PC, with PC being the home for esports. I also think multiplayer should adopt a standalone, actively updated/sustained platform like CS:GO, LoL, etc. while the episodic campaign releases on a cycle as is (think ODST).

This is incredibly far-fetched, but I wanted to know other people's take on it. There's only a few esports left in the iterative release market, and the only relatively successful one is the MLG supported COD scene.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I haven't lurked these forums in a while, so sorry if this is a retread...

What are people's thoughts on Halo changing up their release format? For example, in my personal opinion, I think Halo should release on both Xbox and PC, with PC being the home for esports. I also think multiplayer should adopt a standalone, actively updated/sustained platform like CS:GO, LoL, etc. while the episodic campaign releases on a cycle as is (think ODST).

This is incredibly far-fetched, but I wanted to know other people's take on it. There's only a few esports left in the iterative release market, and the only relatively successful one is the MLG supported COD scene.

Sounds nice but do you think this would make more money than pumping out Halo titles every few years? 

You can bring in microtransactions but will they be able to make up that loss, especially if they remain cosmetic? 

Disagree with the PC becoming the home for esports - no need for Halo to try and compete against CSGO. It's a console shooter and should remain as such. By all means make a PC version but don't try to make it something it isn't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Random thought I had about the H5 BR during a slow work day:

What if:
- Damage was buffed slightly to allow for 9 bullets (3 bursts) to break shields.

- Headshot instakill capability removed.

- Bodyshot damage adjusted (I think; I can't recall off the top of my head the current BR bodyshot damage) against unshielded targets to take a further 9 bullets to kill.

- 3x headshot multiplier applied to headshots against unshielded targets.

Result:

4sk if you land all three bullets of the last burst in the target's skull. Potentially a 6sk if you don't.

I can think of a few reasons against it, but it also doesn't seem too unreasonable given the very accurate and tightly timed bursts the H5 BR spits out.

Mostly I was just daydreaming ways of possibly reducing sandbox overlap since we're getting that update soonTM.

• Upvote (+1) 4

What if:

- Damage was buffed slightly to allow for 9 bullets (3 bursts) to break shields.

- Bodyshot damage adjusted (I think; I can't recall off the top of my head the current BR bodyshot damage) against unshielded targets to take a further 9 bullets to kill.

Result:

4sk if you land all three bullets of the last burst in the target's skull. Potentially a 6sk if you don't.

I can think of a few reasons against it, but it also doesn't seem too unreasonable given the very accurate and tightly timed bursts the H5 BR spits out.

Mostly I was just daydreaming ways of possibly reducing sandbox overlap since we're getting that update soonTM.

Yeah this idea is kinda dumb no offense. 3 shots to the body is already enough to break shields and allowing for the last bullet to kill the head(6 body shots breaks shields) the br just needs less aim assist and range for goodness sake.

Yeah this idea is kinda dumb no offense. 3 shots to the body is already enough to break shields and allowing for the last bullet to kill the head(6 body shots breaks shields) the br just needs less aim assist and range for goodness sake.

I'm pretty sure it's currently 10 bullets to break shields then one to kill.

There's no damage bleedthrough in H5 and the BR is definitely an 11 bullet kill as it currently stands; which in H3 with the random spread potentially ruining your day was a good buff MLG made in the damage settings to mitigate randomness. In H5 with its perfectly accurate hitscan rifle it feels a little unnecessary to be as generous.

What if:

Result:

There is well defined difference between most semis and autos: headshot capability. It seems like you want to blur this line where you reward headshots like a semi but also require time on target like an auto. If you really want to remove sandbox overlap, why not just have less weapons that exist in the same niche, that fulfill the same role?

Why do you hate players who sweep their BR burst across a shieldless enemy's head in hopes of one bullet landing?

What if:

Result:

I feel like this would make the BR even more redundant. The reason why I think that is because you would be removing the one niche thing the BR has going for it:

The burst-fire clean-up utility.

While no, it is not fit for a starting utility weapon because of the burst-fire, it is perfect as a unique trait to separate itself from other weapons. No other weapon typically is able to have three chances to land that headshot, or potentially even kill up to three targets as a result, which can be fun for rare SWAT style moments in MP, or especially on Grunts in Campaign/Firefight. This also means that it synergizes the best with the Noob Combo.

I would prefer that they slowed down the speed of the actual burst to have each of the three bullets be much more distinguished like in previous Halo games, to further emphasis the burst-fire utility. This generous clean-up niche bonus would likely work best with the BR having a clearly slower TTK than the utility weapon, as a trade-off for the easier usability. Hell, to go even further, I would prefer to give it some perfectly vertical recoil to spread the bullets in a perfectly straight line upwards, similar to H4 (minus the random part of spread). This would limit the range in a more consistent manner and further emphasize using the burst to your advantage.

I would like if there were additional niche utility benefits but can't think of any ATM. Although yes, H5 needs a huge magnetism nerf accross the board for the sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There is well defined difference between most semis and autos: headshot capability. It seems like you want to blur this line where you reward headshots like a semi but also require time on target like an auto. If you really want to remove sandbox overlap, why not just have less weapons that exist in the same niche, that fulfill the same role?

Why do you hate players who sweep their BR burst across a shieldless enemy's head in hopes of one bullet landing?

I don't hate the players, but sweeping for a headshot is so insanely easy next to having to actually land a single shot - I'd be incredibly surprised if anyone playing H2BR Slayer this past weekend didn't perform significantly better over a period of 10 games or so there than they would in regular Team Slayer (even accounting for the social/ranked difference). Primarily though, you simply see more comebacks and chokes with single shot; it's more exciting to play and watch imo.

I agree pretty much 100% with SMARTAN's post (and your point about redundancy; the sandbox could be trimmed a bit) in reality and just figured it would be interesting to think about the headshot bonuses in H5 and whether or not they could be used in a way that feels less random than they do with current bullet based automatics. 

The more accuracy required the better. I'm all for having to land a full burst of headshots to get the perfect. Especially with how easy the BR has notoriously been.