CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Clamber is right next to sprint as far as awful mechanics go

Exactly! I've been saying this for the longest time, but it seems like everyone is in love with Clamber. It's nothing more than a hand-holding, skill-gap reducing mechanic that adds nothing of value to the game.

Any argument in favour of it can be made for sprint as well:

"Yeah but it makes me feel like a Spartan!"

"It really adds to that Halo power fantasy!"

"It's a cool defensive movement option that helps you escape if you use it properly!"

"It's still got a skill-gap because it's possible to mess it up, so it will set apart the good players from the bad players!"

"It's an extra skill you have to get good at!"

I hope people are just in their honeymoon phases with this mechanic.

• Upvote (+1) 4

IMO, the ranks flaws can be easily fixed with a system similar to the MMR system in Dota 2, you have two separate rankings....one for searching solo and another for searching with a party. That way your  overall ranking wont get screwed if you get matched with random BK's. Can also be added that if you do well and your team gets destroyed...you wont get penalized as much while the others that did horribly do get effin penalized for being bad.

In the whole Holmes tweet etc etc, I don't know what to say, a year before the game is released and the guy is defending sprint as much as he can, even against LOGICAL arguments. The remaining two weeks of beta are going to be decisive in what the future is going to be of the franchise we love, for me...well, if things don't turn out well, I will still have MCC(assuming it will work awesome someday) to go and play and enjoy. For the first time in a while, yesterday I played CE with some decent folks and I truly forgot how much I enjoyed playing a good Halo game. I want this to happen with Halo 5 and up to some point, I enjoyed it but many things have to be fixed/adjusted/removed/added and IMO, there wont be enough time for 343i(if they choose to listen/do them) to actually implement them. I hope Holmes/Quinn and the rest of 343i prove me wrong and come out banging with Halo 5( wife plans to pre-order as a gift to me) that is appealing to both the core and the casual community.

@@Moa

I forgot when the Beta gets the new maps. Can you tell me again? :)

Nevermind. Got it.

I think everyone should stop being sad cunts and repopulate H3 and MLG reach until MCC is fixed in 2016. Just pretend like Xbox One halo has never happened. I'm enjoying the ignorance :)

But who's "so many people?" A majority of Beyond? A majority of rHalo? A majority of the Waypoint forums?

Yes. In the end it doesn't matter if the majority of people who buy the game, play the campaign and then matchmaking for a week or two likes sprint or not. They're going to buy the game regardless because it has "Halo" on the cover. The entire point is that the die hard Halo fans hate sprint and the real casuals don't care so 343 won't sell a single copy more if sprint is in the game. It's just in because of the stupid thinking that all popular FPS nowadays have sprint and so you will sell more copies of the game, but 343 forgets that Halo itself was/is a very strong franchise that was loved by both competitive and casual fans.

Also people only ask for sprint if the default speed lets you feel like a crippled snail, no one thinks about it if you're already pretty fast.

Nope. Don't like sprint at all.

Nice straw man.

Lol that's not a straw man argument. A straw man would be if I was to counter an argument you hadn't made. I happen to know a thing or two about logical fallacies.

You described the action of campaigning against sprint as immature. Typically, this would lead one to believe you were biased in favour of sprint, due to the fact that most people do not default to considering feedback as immature when it happens to be feedback they agree with. This is why I guessed you were a sprint fan, but I framed it as a question to acknowledge the possibility that I was wrong, and to give you the opportuity to correct me.

What this leaves me in is an even more confused situation, because now I'm wondering what would drive you to refer to the action of giving feedback as "immature" when there isn't that obvious bias involved. Perhaps you could enlighten me - what's immature about the action of leaving feedback against sprint, or any feature for that matter?

What if when you get "Perfect" Multikills the (double kill, triple kill, etc.) medal color would change to gold? I feel this would change how people view multikills as more or less skillful ones.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Exactly! I've been saying this for the longest time, but it seems like everyone is in love with Clamber. It's nothing more than a hand-holding, skill-gap reducing mechanic that adds nothing of value to the game.

"It's a cool defensive movement option that helps you escape if you use it properly!"

"It's still got a skill-gap because it's possible to mess it up, so it will set apart the good players from the bad players!"

It annoys me when people say it adds verticality to the game when all the jumps/clambers in the game could be achieved by just skill jumping with a few changes to the maps.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Neg me all you want but I think Vanilla Reach is better than H5.

Ima upvote instead cuz you made me laugh

I don't understand how ******* defend any of this. The community voting feedback page is embarressing.

Ima upvote instead cuz you made me laugh

I'd rather play a kid with a jetpack or armour lock with barely any movement speed than a kid with unlimited sprint, spartan charge and an OP thruster pack..
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I am on total agreement. I would gladly accept all the other mechanics if Sprint and Clamber were removed.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I'm actually mad that you can't yy out of scope and that it is faster cycling through variable zoom to get out of scope manually.

Based on the responses I'm seeing on Twitter from 343 about sprint it's here to stay. They will defend it till the end of time. My guess is they'd have to delay the game a year to remove it at this point.

#WeDoomed

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lol what no he couldn't. No one's escaping cross the entire map in any of the previous Halo games.

@Sal1ent

Let's discuss this, shall we?

In your tweet, you claim people were able to escape without sprint in earlier Halo games, therefore sprint isn't a problem? Well you've got it all wrong, and here's why:

The fact that people can escape encounters is not the problem. Escaping bad situations is an important part of Halo and it is an ability in itself.

The problem people have with sprint is that it allows players to escape bad situations more easily than before, but with even less effort. The reason it is easier to get away with bad decisions is because sprint forces the chasing player to lower his weapon in order to chase at an equal speed, which means the fleeing player has the advantage.

You'll be tempted to say: "Yes but shields are attached to sprint, which means when you sprint away, your chaser doesn't have to stop and shoot until you do anyway, at which point your shields will still be down, so essentially you haven't gotten away with anything".

The problem is that the fleeing player still has the ability to run without being shot and pursued at an equal speed, and due to unlimited sprint, they can sprint until they reach the safety of their teammates. Sure, they could run to the safety of their team in Halo games that didn't have sprint, but they'd have to put up with being chased at an equal speed, and shot sultaneously.

A secondary problem is that it still leads to frustrating cat and mouse situations and does nothing more than put a pause button on encounters. As long as weapon lowering is forced, then sprint will serve to unnecessarily delay encounters.

Judging by what you said, you obviously think my logic has gone wrong somewhere, and I can tell you that a lot of people who dislike sprint believe every word of what I just said. So if I am indeed wrong - and I'm open to hearing why - then you'll be doing us all a big favour by explaining why. Because until we understand why we're wrong about that aspect of sprint, then no amount of short tweets will change our minds.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I don't understand how ******s defend any of this. The community voting feedback page is embarressing.

Was temped to neg you but didn't.

Still I don't get how you can prefer Reach or even H3 with embarrassingly slow killtimes and inaccurate and random gunplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Who would honestly want to watch it though? I remember thinking, when they showed the demo with the 2 pro teams playing for the first time, after the H2A tournament, wow, this is really boring!

Are you familiar with the bulk of the twitch demographic?  There are no standards in that world.

It annoys me when people say it adds verticality to the game when all the jumps/clambers in the game could be achieved by just skill jumping with a few changes to the maps.

Tell me about it. I don't know how many times I've seen people say: "It allows you to get to new places that wouldn't have been possible in previous Halo games!"

But it really doesn't. Any place you can get with Clamber could have been made possible with normal jumps in previous Halo games. Yet people act like Clamber opens a portal into an undiscovered dimension.

• Upvote (+1) 1