CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

A downward facing laser wouldn't work well on an aerial vehicle with unlimited altitutde. You would have no idea what you were firing on below you. I could see a downward strike weapon working on a vehicle like the prophet's gravity throne, from the campaign boss battle.

It could hover at a set height, just high enough to allow ground vehicles to pass underneath. This would allow the operator to still see what's below him.

I'm not sure what weapons it should have besides this downward facing spartan laser weapon. What frontal weapons would suit this small floating vehicle?

That depends entirely on how the camera follows the aerial vehicle. 

Either for this vehicle or another entirely. I think it would be cool if a vehicle let out a gas behind it that would stay on the map for a little bit. It would drive fast, and use the gas to block of paths, surround enemies etc. 

Also, in regards to the Midship/Heretic/Truth discussion:

Yes, the classics play better and have better art direction, but all three suck at helping players orient themselves IMO. It is hard to remember where I am and what to call out when everything is frickin purple with almost the same geometry.

Or maybe I just suck at Halo.

Nah, I'm with you on that, more so for Truth. I never know where the shit I am on the map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That depends entirely on how the camera follows the aerial vehicle. 

Either for this vehicle or another entirely. I think it would be cool if a vehicle let out a gas behind it that would stay on the map for a little bit. It would drive fast, and use the gas to block of paths, surround enemies etc.

Not really. You are either looking forward and can't see below you or you are looking downward and can't see in front of you. Or the camera is 300 feet behind you so you can see both. None of those are viable options.

Your poison exhaust idea is unique, I'll give you that. Almost like alien caltrops. I'm just not sure I see it being really useful. The time it would take to drive a circle around an enemy would get you shot to shit and even if it didn't you would be better off just attacking them directly with frontal weapons instead of encircling them with a death barrier. Also, do you control when this poison exhaust is released or is it always released? Seems like you would be a detriment to your own team more than the enemy.

Nah, I'm with you on that, more so for Truth. I never know where the shit I am on the map.

I do like that Truth tried to differentiate the base colours via the big holograms, but the overall lighting/colouration is still a bit too subtle at times.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not really. You are either looking forward and can't see below you or you are looking downward and can't see in front of you. Or the camera is 300 feet behind you so you can see both. None of those are viable options.

Your poison exhaust idea is unique, I'll give you that. Almost like alien caltrops. I'm just not sure I see it being really useful. The time it would take to drive a circle around an enemy would get you shot to shit and even if it didn't you would be better off just attacking them directly with frontal weapons instead of encircling them with a death barrier. Also, do you control when this poison exhaust is released or is it always released? Seems like you would be a detriment to your own team more than the enemy.

I am sure there is a way to make it work. It could have different camera/controller modes as well. One mode that is focusing more on the ground and you controlling the weapon, and the other is focusing more on where you move and controlling the vehicle itself. 

You control when it is released of course. I don't see the gas a weapon that would be very effective in killing people, but I see it as a weapon that would assist others in doing so. It's biggest uses are probably: 

* Blocking off paths for other vehicles and spartans.

* Limiting field of view

I imagine it would look kind of like a really fast small prowler from Halo 3 with 2 seats. It could efficiently the take the gun-gooses role. 

@@xboxdigger 94

Even if I don't agree with your idea, I really do appreciate you sharing it with me. People like to hide behind sarcasm, always ready to criticize but never sharing anything of their own. It takes guts to put yourself out there and I commend you for that. Feel free to toss more ideas at me and I will give you my honest feedback.

As for feedback on this specific idea, maps should generally be designed to allow the sighlines they want to allow and block the sightlines they want to block. I don't think a poison wall would be conducive to fast paced, aggressive gameplay. What would stop you from riding back and forth across the middle of the map, creating what is essentially a permanent barrier?

Limiting field of view seems like it could work in certain scenarios. The waterfalls on Sanctuary in H2A did something similar. If the vehicle's exhaust was only a line of sight blocker, I would have an easier time accepting it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, the classics play better and have better art direction, but all three suck at helping players orient themselves IMO. It is hard to remember where I am and what to call out when everything is frickin purple with almost the same geometry.

I agree with this. Midship could've just used a couple color coded fixtures and the problem would have been solved. The increase in purple Over the years didn't help at all, IMO

What if pink tower was actually a pink tower?

I had trouble with Truth but never Midship or Heretic.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I had trouble with Truth but never Midship or Heretic.

Same, I even have trouble distinguishing Pink from Car now lol. Everything is the same washed up purple with blinding lights and huge parts of no-mans land, I always need around 5s after spawning to realize where I am on that map. Same goes for Regret.

Same, I even have trouble distinguishing Pink from Car now lol. Everything is the same washed up purple with blinding lights and huge parts of no-mans land, I always need around 5s after spawning to realize where I am on that map. Same goes for Regret.

Not even purple, just blue

Regret is literally one of the ugliest maps in H5. Every time I play it I want to quit out with how unoriginal it is and how the colors look. The beta version looked much better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In my experiance Gungoose is way better than the ghost

I'd rather a ghost any day. That's just me.

Regret is literally one of the ugliest maps in H5. Every time I play it I want to quit out with how unoriginal it is and how the colors look. The beta version looked much better.

Yeah i really enjoyed how bright it was in the beta. Like it was really an alien place.

I alsk enjoyed dark eden, but blue had such an advantage

I still have trouble knowing Blue base from Red base without looking, or having a visual indicator on-screen...

If you're really having trouble knowing the bases on the maps just memorize where the towers are in relation to each base. Like which team has P tower to their right and which has car. Or just memorize the map like most people lol I can really only see Warlock as a confusing map for most people.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If I'm not mistaken didn't they swap the bases for CTF from Halo 2 to Halo 3? I forget about that but some other maps they changed for no reason. I played CE before 2 but I only got into competitive Halo CE when Halo 3 came out. I constantly screw up the red base/blue base call outs on Creek because some genius thought they could change the colors around.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you're really having trouble knowing the bases on the maps just memorize where the towers are in relation to each base. Like which team has P tower to their right and which has car. Or just memorize the map like most people lol I can really only see Warlock as a confusing map for most people.

This is what I did. I still prefer Midship cause it's still easier than Truth but that's up to the player mostly.

I still can't call out on H2 warlock

• Upvote (+1) 3

TL;DR:  Stayed tuned.

Don't bother even reading.

Still a good read for the matchmaking explanations.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If I'm not mistaken didn't they swap the bases for CTF from Halo 2 to Halo 3? I forget about that but some other maps they changed for no reason. I played CE before 2 but I only got into competitive Halo CE when Halo 3 came out. I constantly screw up the red base/blue base call outs on Creek because some genius thought they could change the colors around.

Yeah Red and Blue are switched from H2 to H3.  I used to always mess up the callouts when flip flopping H2 -> H3 in MCC lol.

--------

I've never understood the complaint about not knowing where you are on Midship. It takes like a second to orient yourself; and that's regardless of whatever map you're playing. P tower is on your right/Carb is on your left, you're in Red. Vice versa for blue. 

"It's just pink/purple everywhere" is kind of irrelevant when all the geometry is different.

Yeah Red and Blue are switched from H2 to H3.  I used to always mess up the callouts when flip flopping H2 -> H3 in MCC lol.

--------

I've never understood the complaint about not knowing where you are on Midship. It takes like a second to orient yourself; and that's regardless of whatever map you're playing. P tower is on your right/Carb is on your left, you're in Red. Vice versa for blue. 

"It's just pink/purple everywhere" is kind of irrelevant when all the geometry is different.

Okay but Warlock "Uhh, he's in the other dark ramp thing"

Warlock/Wizard is like the only disorienting map in the franchise imo. (Chiron doesn't count lmao)

Warlock/Warlock is like the only disorienting map in the franchise imo.

Wizard though

Edit: Warlock/Warlock :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol yeah I was typing and playing a game at the same time; clearly didn't mean Warlock/Warlock lol.