CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Why not incorporate button combos as a game mechanic with unique animations and downsides/cooldowna for each one.?Have a doubleshot equivalent, quadshot equivalent, quick reload,bxr equivalent with a counter like crouching was in halo 2(wouldn't have been as annoying in halo 2 if the magnetism was more on halo CE levels and the melee system wasn't piss easy),and a bxb equivalentfor several different weapons.Taada a skillgap has been added, it's not bad change,and all the people that complained that button combos were cheating in halo 2 wouldn't be able to do the same here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Announcements of Announcements!

​For fucks sake its been almost 2 years since the game launched and we've been asking for balance changes. Just tell us instead of dragging us along with a carrot.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Or just make the utility weapon and melee take skill in the first place and make the perfect kill time fast enough without needing any button combos.

(Why not both??????)

1000x easier to do from a development standpoint, and much more likely to be accepted by the community as a whole. Halo doesn't need to be like Street Fighter any more than it needs to be like League of Legends (not at all, if anyone was wondering).

Halo 2 doesn't play like street fighter at all,this would just be halo emulating one of it's past iterations in a official manner.

Halo 2 doesn't play like street fighter at all,this would just be halo emulating one of it's past iterations in a official manner.

I'd rather that they emulate Halo Combat Evolved in an official manner

[insert pic of CEA and MCC]

Dun dun... kssshhhh

• Upvote (+1) 8

I feel like we're gonna get a 6 shot kill magnum and more magnetism on the BR with this update.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Button combos are badass fuck you

Yea but not when they're practically the most skillful thing in the game like Halo 2.

We're never going to get them again so don't get your hopes hope.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's gon be hot

Seriously man i feel really comfortable with you being on sandbox. I know a lot of People are already being dismissive of potential changes, but I'm anxious to see what y'all came up with.

got my fingers crossed

• Upvote (+1) 5

Could the Reach Grenade Launcher work as a grenade type (instead of a standalone weapon) in CE? Like a power weapon for your left hand while you keep your Magnum out.

@@Hard Way

I love how it's implemented in Chaos Theory and its used throughout the Army of Two series as well as some other 360 arcade shooter I'm blanking out on. Splinter Cells maps were so good for this with all kinds of air ducts and stuff you could climb into. For Halo, would this be something similar where both players are required to press something to use this ability or more just designing maps around the concept, and having players line it up themselves and jump. I like the damnation elbow example, as that is a rather exposed area that would allow you to get to high ground quickly and get an advantage but that high ground is also exposed. I almost feel like the spawn system for CE allows this to happen indirectly. Rather than them being alive and jumping, they are dead and you are spawning them up.

I love utilizing this though and was trying to get through H2 campaign but was having a ton of issues, and the amount of times you can use this to skip parts or take a different route is pretty cool. Couldn't really do that in Halo CE but the bottom player also can't jump. Someone already mentioned the sanctuary jump up which is a great example. The way the map works I'd say there is much less risk attempting that but even with the low risk to high reward I am fine with that one specifically since you are able to do it on both sides.

Another great example is Beaver/Battle Creek. Look at how much that map evolved simply because of the various jumps you could do. Whether its the portal jump onto base or right out the top. The map would technically work without these elements but in my opinion play much better with them. I'm trying to think of any negative implications of this, and all I can really come up with is Relic in Halo 2. You can take the warthog, rush over to the front and park on the side opposite of beam. You can get three people to jump off each others head, grab the flag and hop back in the hog and win. It was pretty cheesy, but a lot of fun and was something the majority of people knew in ranked BTB so it didn't work that often.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Could the Reach Grenade Launcher work as a grenade type (instead of a standalone weapon) in CE? Like a power weapon for your left hand while you keep your Magnum out.

Sounds familiar.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That sounds pretty cool.

Great read

Then what do you think about having vehicles spawn on the Scarab itself? Have a Banshee spawn in a bay near the top (open but protected by a shield door) and have two Ghosts in the bottom interior lobby. Entering a Ghost actives some trap door or ramp or something that lets you drive it down onto the ground below.

This new invasion-type idea is a good one.  Implemented well i could see it being pretty fun.  This vehicle idea is a good one too as long as the vehicles are treated like Tier-2 weapons where the next one will only spawn once the first one has been dead for a minute AND they FIX THE FUCKING BANSHEE.

It's gon be hot

Im with @@Mhunterjr here.  I feel much better about the sandbox adjustments knowing you have a big hand in it.

Give us a teaser?

We talking weapon overhauls or damage adjustments?

If they say true to the two main points in the update, it should be both:

1) Revitalize and re-balance the Halo 5 sandbox to a more desirable state

2) Establish/strengthen unique roles for each weapon and remove role redundancy

emphasis my own

This new invasion-type idea is a good one. Implemented well i could see it being pretty fun. This vehicle idea is a good one too as long as the vehicles are treated like Tier-2 weapons where the next one will only spawn once the first one has been dead for a minute AND they FIX THE FUCKING BANSHEE.

The way I looked at it was that the Scarab is the Elites' mobile base, so it should have many of their smaller vehicles on board. It's like in Independance Day when the humans fire a missile at the giant alien ship so it releases a whole bunch of smaller alien ships to defend it. Same concept here.

The Spartans would have their vehicles scattered around the map. This lets them mount attacks from various points along the Scarab's pre determined path.

Yea but not when they're practically the most skillful thing in the game like Halo 2.

We're never going to get them again so don't get your hopes hope.

I wasn't suggesting it as the most/only skillful thing in the game.In this hypothetical it would be in combination with a difficult melee system (along the lines of CE), difficult/powerful utility weapon,and a hard weapon sandbox.

It's still more likely than getting any emulation of what halo CE did because most of the casual halo fanbase hates it.Most people regard halo 2 as the peak of competitive halo in regards to skill and popularity (that isn't correct but that's what tb has to keep in mind,that most halo fans believe).Asking for a game based off of halo CE's spawn system is even more laughably unrealistic than what I proposed.People have been posting their dreams,not realistic ideas so I don't see what's wrong with me doing the same.

The way I looked at it was that the Scarab is the Elites' mobile base, so it should have many of their smaller vehicles on board. It's like in Independance Day when the humans fire a missile at the giant alien ship so it releases a whole bunch of smaller alien ships to defend it. Same concept here.

The Spartans would have their vehicles scattered around the map. This lets them mount attacks from various points along the Scarab's pre determined path.

Makes sense but i wouldn't want to get TOO vehicle-heavy. I think that no game mode in Halo should making using a vehicle a requirement for everybody.  so i think 3 per side is plenty.  granted, in my head this is an 8v8 mode, but scale it up to 12 v 12,16 v 16, etc etc and obviously more vehicles could be added.

Makes sense but i wouldn't want to get TOO vehicle-heavy. I think that no game mode in Halo should making using a vehicle a requirement for everybody.  so i think 3 per side is plenty.  granted, in my head this is an 8v8 mode, but scale it up to 12 v 12,16 v 16, etc etc and obviously more vehicles could be added.

If there was ever a time for a match to be vehicle heavy, it's during a Scarab battle.

Personally, I would go with 12v12 Invasion. It's still grander than BTB but no so player heavy as to not feel like Halo anymore.

Sketch talks about mind blowing experience at the studio involving the new game. RUL freaks out, forgets every community manager says this exact same thing about every game ever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sketch talks about mind blowing experience at the studio involving the new game. RUL freaks out, forgets every community manager says this exact same thing about every game ever.

That dude is still doing videos?

What content does he even have to go off of?