CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Slowing moving projectiles, like grenades or rockets, that travel too close to a "Gravity Pylon" are reflected away by a gravitational pulse. Bullets pass by unaffected.

Map designers could place these to protect certain areas from nade spam or to provide a sort of "invisible cover" from the Rocket Launcher.

Slowing moving projectiles, like grenades or rockets, that travel too close to a "Gravity Pylon" are reflected away by a gravitational pulse. Bullets pass by unaffected.

Map designers could place these to protect certain areas from nade spam or to provide a sort of "invisible cover" from the Rocket Launcher.

Or, not do that.

And instead have the devs spend that time to make the utility weapon projectile again instead of hitscan. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Or, not do that.

And instead have the devs spend that time to make the utility weapon projectile again instead of hitscan.

Is what you said related in any way to what I said? What am I missing?

You have to be careful with any mechanics that feel like they can "cheat" a in a scenario. I put that in quotes because for lack of a better term, I mean things that are out of a players control that can feel like the scenario was stacked against them. Having a rocket miss due to an area of the map having some sort of gravitational field seems like it could be aggravating since nothing else is seemingly effected by it. Even if other stuff was effected, it sounds like a safe zone in the map that rewards the team who didn't get the rockets. There shouldn't be any real safety zones for the losing team in my opinion and instead their ability to come back should come from a skillful shot/utility weapon. The same could be said for the moving paths. Even if it's something on a set timer, I can see paths providing advantages for people solely due to the time it is in game as well as their spawn.

If it's not in a players control than it can be frustrating. Even Random Spawns in Halo CE, as the name applies, creates a level of randomness but it's controlled in the sense that the randomness comes from direct consistent involvement from the player. I wouldn't consider this level of randomness to be good in a competitive sense, but at the very least it might be "fun". I'm in the camp though that feels the simplicity of Halo at it's core was a big part of it being fun and accessible. While new and or complicated ideas could work well within Halo, I'm not sure if casuals will have interest in picking up the game let alone getting used to some of these modes/ideas.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Just suggesting to replace your creative idea for something new to be added to Halo with going back to something that already has been in Halo and was better.   

A smoke monster. That if you get too close. Will kill you. Bullets don't affect. The smoke monster. Only Spartan Locke can control. Said smoke monster. 

Only serious thoughts and discussion please. And only if you like my idea.

My cube mate just actually asked what's so funny because I lol'ed hard reading that!!!!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Your recent suggestions have been about adding strange objects to part of maps to "fix" problems. Really you're just adding another problem.  The designer should be fixing said problem by fixing the geometry of the play space, not adding weird shit.

He is saying, stick to the fundamentals and get those right and some of the other problems will disappear. Do it right before you do it different.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What does spamming all these random ideas even accomplish? I don't see a point at all except to tell people "hey look at my ideas guys look how creative I am!"

• Upvote (+1) 3

What does spamming all these random ideas even accomplish? I don't see a point at all except to tell people "hey look at my ideas guys look how creative I am!"

Dude I said I only wanted positive feedback on my smoke monster idea! Go back to waypoint! 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Your recent suggestions have been about adding strange objects to part of maps to "fix" problems. Really you're just adding another problem.  The designer should be fixing said problem by fixing the geometry of the play space, not adding weird shit.

Would you say the same thing about teleporters in CE or Grav lifts in H2? Stop adding gimmicks and just design the map better?

He is saying, stick to the fundamentals and get those right and some of the other problems will disappear. Do it right before you do if different.

Ok. The utility weapon should kill fast and require skill to achieve the minimum kill time, the strafe should be crisp and quick, players should be able to fluidly crouch and jump during their strafe, weapons should spawn on static timers, maps should be good, all classic gametypes should be included.

Can we talk about other things now?

• Upvote (+1) 2

What do all the responses that say nothing besides snark and sarcasm even accomplish?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can we talk about other things now?

I demand the floor until we get change. Let the great 2017 Classic Halo Settings filibuster begin.  

What do all the responses that say nothing besides snark and sarcasm even accomplish?

Chancho. When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You have to be careful with any mechanics that feel like they can "cheat" a in a scenario. I put that in quotes because for lack of a better term, I mean things that are out of a players control that can feel like the scenario was stacked against them. Having a rocket miss due to an area of the map having some sort of gravitational field seems like it could be aggravating since nothing else is seemingly effected by it. Even if other stuff was effected, it sounds like a safe zone in the map that rewards the team who didn't get the rockets. There shouldn't be any real safety zones for the losing team in my opinion and instead their ability to come back should come from a skillful shot/utility weapon. The same could be said for the moving paths. Even if it's something on a set timer, I can see paths providing advantages for people solely due to the time it is in game as well as their spawn.

If it's not in a players control than it can be frustrating. Even Random Spawns in Halo CE, as the name applies, creates a level of randomness but it's controlled in the sense that the randomness comes from direct consistent involvement from the player. I wouldn't consider this level of randomness to be good in a competitive sense, but at the very least it might be "fun". I'm in the camp though that feels the simplicity of Halo at it's core was a big part of it being fun and accessible. While new and or complicated ideas could work well within Halo, I'm not sure if casuals will have interest in picking up the game let alone getting used to some of these modes/ideas.

Yes this.  Even if additions to the game are perfectly balanced, if they feel frustrating or unfair it doesn't matter. They're not fun and shouldn't exist.

The simplicity of Halo is what is supposed to make it so accessible AND what can make it so competitively viable.  Anybody can pick it up and understand what is going on at a glance.  But that simplicity means that you can't hide from your mistakes and must take advantage of every nuance of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Would you say the same thing about teleporters in CE or Grav lifts in H2? Stop adding gimmicks and just design the map better?

No.  Both are ways to get people from point A to point B quickly without totally fucking with the play space or necessitating the use of things like sprint or clamber.

Unlike the aforementioned gimmicks, they are ways to encourage map movement while also giving the designer tools to provide the experience to the player they want while preserving the utility of the players themselves.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unlike the aforementioned gimmicks, they are ways to encourage map movement while also giving the designer tools to provide the experience to the player they want while preserving the utility of the players themselves.

So if the map designer of Midship didn't want players to be able to throw grenades from base to base or from tower to tower, but didn't want to block these sight lines with a physical wall, so he put a Gravity Pylon top mid, that would just be terrible map design?

So if the map designer of Midship didn't want players to be able to throw grenades from base to base or from tower to tower, but didn't want to block these sight lines with a physical wall, so he put a Gravity Pylon top mid, that would just be terrible map design?

What would be the importance of not being able to throw a grenade but being able to shoot? Either it blocks everything or nothing, like shield doors in Halo 3. It prevents a player from hitting another cross map with a nade but don't see the reason why you would want to limit that but allow players to shoot weak weapons cross map at each other.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What would be the importance of not being able to throw a grenade but being able to shoot?

Map designer: "Hmmmm. My map seems to play better when this area isn't inundated with grenade spam. I don't want to take grenades off the map but I also don't want to block it off with physical geometry. I wish there was something that could just block grenades only."

Either it blocks everything or nothing, like shield doors in Halo 3.

Why does it have to be all or nothing?

It prevents a player from hitting another cross map with a nade but don't see the reason why you would want to limit that but allow players to shoot weak weapons cross map at each other.

Maybe during play testing the designer saw that a very shallow strategy of constantly nading a base was turning out to be the best strategy. He wants to block nades from a certain point to another but still allow bullets. The reason doesn't really matter. There are countless reasons as to why a map designer would want to do things. It isn't my place to limit his ability to create the experience he wants. If he wants to block nades, now he can.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Map designer: "Hmmmm. My map seems to play better when this area isn't inundated with grenade spam. I don't want to take grenades off the map but I also don't want to block it off with physical geometry. I wish there was something that could just block grenades only."

Why does it have to be all or nothing?

Maybe during play testing the designer saw that a very shallow strategy of constantly nading a base was turning out to be the best strategy. He wants to block nades from a certain point to another but still allow bullets. The reason doesn't really matter. There are countless reasons as to why a map designer would want to do things. It isn't my place to limit his ability to create the experience he wants. If he wants to block nades, now he can.

Sounds like the map is pretty shitty then.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Or, not do that.

Personal preference, but projectile weapons where I can't see the projectile unless it hits a wall or something are super unsatisfying to shoot.

Quake-style Rocket Launcher  >>>>>>>>> CE Pistol on that regard alone.

and I'm not imagining that they will make everything look like the battlefield sniper either.

For reference to what I'm talking about,

rVBB6YhiXd2vK.gif

Is this even possible for a Halo weapon or will it be too obnoxious all of the time, O' great salty one?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Really OT, but for those of you who play on a monitor, is the difference between. 1ms input lag and 2ms input lag serious? I'm not really sure if it would be a noticeable difference to justify prices. Thanks.

Personal preference, but projectile weapons where I can't see the projectile unless it hits a wall or something are super unsatisfying to shoot.

Quake-style Rocket Launcher  >>>>>>>>> CE Pistol on that regard alone.

and I'm not imagining that they will make everything look like the battlefield sniper either.

For reference to what I'm talking about,

rVBB6YhiXd2vK.gif

Is this even possible for a Halo weapon or will it be too obnoxious all of the time O' great salty one?

CE pistol doesn't really need that because if the shots hit, the enemies shields should light up. Or at lest that's how Halo should be. Should be enough visual feedback of where your shots are going. The whole point of projectiles is that they require you to lead your shots which is where the skill comes in to play.  A chem trail on a CE pistol would be pretty obnoxious given how often it is fired.  Unless it was just really, really, really subtle....   Even then, that might make O' great salty one contain very high levels of neutralized hydrochloric acid.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Really OT, but for those of you who play on a monitor, is the difference between. 1ms input lag and 2ms input lag serious? I'm not really sure if it would be a noticeable difference to justify prices. Thanks.

No it's not serious at all. Pretty much completely irrelevant.
  • Upvote (+1) 1