CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Deleted the r/Halo thread. It is obvious that the Halo 4 kids are out in full force on that piece of crap, and 343 have shown to us that they just don't get it.

Halo is DEAD. It really is time to move on.

I tried to explain our arguments to some of them, but this is just sad. I'm definitely off this subreddit.

What i'm most scared of after sprint is how the CTF will play, we know nothing except slayer, breakout and kotH.

If it was like that, then you might as well take sprint out altogether.

Go play guardians. Sprint as much as you can until you get hit once. You'll be sprinting enough for it to be worth keeping. It will literally be offensive only. And I remember Josh Holmes saying he wants escaping to be possible. Well, my respond is to keep thrusters!

Sprint cannot be balanced in Halo.

True, but the negative effects of sprint can be mitigated to some extent by only being able to sprint with full shields.  Removing sprint is by far the best option, it is hard to reduce the side effects of sprint without removing it, such as large maps.  But if 343 is completely unwilling to remove it, I say that sprinting only when shields are full is the best option we've got.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I tried to explain our arguments to some of them, but this is just sad. I'm definitely off this subreddit.

What i'm most scared of after sprint is how the CTF will play, we know nothing except slayer, breakout and kotH.

objective is going to be absolutely terrible with unlimited sprint.

Instead of pistol and no flag drop, it will be rockets....

You gotta change your sig man, cos 343...

And my prediction is that this game's objective modes are going to be a complete joke 

It's extremely telling that arguments against sprint are vast and extremely well known and vocalized by the vast majority of fans who actually provide their feedback in tangible form, yet there is absolutely ZERO subsequent valid arguments for including sprint from the developers.

Instead, all they can do is is provide weak, unfounded, arbitrary & defensive rebuttals to the myriad of objections against it.

When the only arguments for keeping a largely disliked mechanic are defensive rebuttals rather than solid, positively contributing gameplay points, it's obvious said mechanic should not be in the game.

343 should not only be able to provide a well-reasoned, provable counter-points to every reason sprint handicaps & hinders gameplay, but should also be capable of providing several reasons of how it IMPROVES gameplay. Simply put: they can't.

This is why it is so frustrating to see them work so hard against our wishes. It's as if they're implying that we're just too stupid to understand how sprint makes Halo better; we're obviously not. And if out collective unison isn't proof enough of that, the abysmal online population of Reach, Halo 4, and the already widely-negative feedback from the Halo 5 Beta should be.

Sprint should never even have been a discussion post-Halo 4. The fact that it was only proves that they (343) not only do not know what made Halo great, but that they are also too short-sighted and/or cowardly to go against the common (and let's face it, lackluster) practice of the watered-down, mindlessly accepted "standard" of the cookie-cutter modern FPS formula.

You don't excell to greatness by following others, but by blazing the trail for others to follow. Halo used to blaze that very trail, but has long since been doused by conformity and resigned itself to falling in line behind the similarly hosed-down leaders of the pack.

It is a sad state of things indeed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know we have been saying no sprint since Halo Reach, but guys, we have a beta right now. The last beta was what, Halo: Reach? We have a chance RIGHT NOW. These next few weeks are CRITICAL to how this game is shaped. We simply cannot waste this opportunity by slinging insults at the developers.

If sprint is in the final version of the game, fair enough. They didnt listen and people will be upset. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I know we have been saying no sprint since Halo Reach, but guys, we have a beta right now. The last beta was what, Halo 3? We have a chance RIGHT NOW. These next few weeks are CRITICAL to how this game is shaped. We simply cannot waste this opportunity by slinging insults at the developers.

If sprint is in the final version of the game, fair enough. They didnt listen and people will be upset. 

What can we do though? I feel like everything we say just falls on deaf ears.

I know we have been saying no sprint since Halo Reach, but guys, we have a beta right now. The last beta was what, Halo 3? We have a chance RIGHT NOW. These next few weeks are CRITICAL to how this game is shaped. We simply cannot waste this opportunity by slinging insults at the developers.

It was Reach, but that was more of a demo.

The fact that they even have the nuts to implement Sprint though after 4 YEARS of constant criticism on the mechanic just blows my mind however. 343 have no excuse.

I know we have been saying no sprint since Halo Reach, but guys, we have a beta right now. The last beta was what, Halo: Reach? We have a chance RIGHT NOW. These next few weeks are CRITICAL to how this game is shaped. We simply cannot waste this opportunity by slinging insults at the developers.

Come on Sauce, 343 won't take it out. Pretty safe to say they have not and will continue to not listen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is still time to remove sprint and scale down the maps.  Halo 5 would be amazing if they did this, that is what is so frustrating about this whole ordeal.  Please, listen to us 343.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you don't feel comfortable answering, that's perfectly fine but just wondering if you'll stick with pushing this website as I presume it takes a lot of your time if sprint is still in the game? Because I think we all know, this beta is not for changing anything of significance, it's simply to slight nerf things and make sure matching making runs smoothly.

To me, there's only one argument that has any realistic chance of happening and that is to vastly speed up TTK for perfect shots with the  BR and DMR. So essentially cT's argument. This pleases the cod crowd because sprint is still in the game but we then have real potential for a game. I would love to see sprint removed but there is absolutely no chance that is happening. 343i has never alluded to any major changes like that happening as a function of the beta. We should all be pushing as hard as possible right now for BR and DMR TTK for perfect shots to go down. 

What can we do though? I feel like everything we say just falls on deaf ears.

343 reads these forums all the time, twitter interactions that dont result in insulting them, Polls, etc. Thats all you can do, and then wait and see if they apply what we are looking for.

It isnt impossible, the fact that they are having a beta for feedback is proof.

Keep a level head, have real discussions with them and get your point across. 

I agree with Saucey that we should at least be attacking the ideas/gameplay elements here and not the people. Josh, Quinn, along with the Pro team are humans... and they have their own opinions on things. They also seem like really cool people in real life.

I also don't get the whole "343i pro team betrayed us" mentality. The people here who say that if they were in their seats (Ghost, Neighbor, Bravo, Strongside, etc.) that they'd leave 343i and be fired over Sprint are fucking nuts. Give me a break. It is so god damn easy to say that over the forums, but no one here is immune to being indoctrinated/starstruck, and working with the opportunity you've been given. You are all crazy if you think you'd drop your dream job because you couldn't get your way on one mechanic. Every time I see this, it's pure naiveness to how it is working in the real world.

I once quit a 50k/year job because they refused to implement something that would, without any negative consequence or significant cost to them, improve their production and therefore stimulate business (in addition to making dozens of employee's lives easier).

Granted, it helped that I had another job lined up; I have principles, but I'm not an idiot. Point being that working for 343 as a game tester is not my "dream job", despite my deep love of the Halo franchise; not if said job contributed to the blatant and completely unnecessary degradation of that very same beloved franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Reach had a beta, I just don't remember how much good it did. Pretty sure the DMR was harder to use in the beta though.

I understand your point about swinging insults at the devs, but we've countered sprint with solid arguments and facts many many times, and what good has it done? None. We just keep getting the same responses from 343 which might as well be slaps to the face. It's entirely understandable for most of us to be pissed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really enjoying what you guys have to say about sprint, completely agree with most posts... Why can't it be this simple to 343, I'm not a game developer but I can see how it completely destroys the core fundamentals of what made Halo a great multiplayer game. SIMPLICITY.

343 reads these forums all the time, twitter interactions that dont result in insulting them, Polls, etc. Thats all you can do, and then wait and see if they apply what we are looking for.

It isnt impossible, the fact that they are having a beta for feedback is proof.

Keep a level head, have real discussions with them and get your point across. 

It's absolutely not proof man, not in the least.

Reach had a beta, I just don't remember how much good it did. Pretty sure the DMR was harder to use in the beta though.

I understand your point about swinging insults at the devs, but we've countered sprint with solid arguments and facts many many times, and what good has it done? None. We just keep getting the same responses from 343 which might as well be slaps to the face. It's entirely understandable for most of us to be pissed.

Bungie and 343 were different companies, I feel like Bungie had terrible community interaction when they were working on Halo. 343 on the other hand has had pretty solid community interaction, especially during Halo 5 (in my opinion). I would rather be tweeted something from a dev that I didnt want to hear, than to be left guessing in the dark.

It is really just all up to 343 on how they take the feedback, and if they decide to apply it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1