CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

guaranteed great game in 2019

Surely you mean game of the century.

I think I get it.

They're using a variable ratio reward protocol to keep us around. Yeah it's shit a lot, but sometimes, randomly, you get a good server, your shots go where your aimer is, and it's solo queuers vs solo queuers, no one quits out. It's the most effective way to keep people doing otherwise illogical things (like playing this game, despite it being terrible 75% of the time). Like gambling is an example of this. I wonder if I'm overestimating 343's competence here, though. 

Either that, or Microsoft has given up on console gaming. I mean come on, I don't know much about programming, but other games work. This leads me to believe that the employees designing the game at 343 are awful.  Halo is Xbox's baby, and I wonder if Microsoft has just decided to cut their losses on the Xbox division entirely. If that's the case, those that are saying they're buying the Xbox One Silver Scorpio (whatever) just for Halo may need to rethink that decision. I'm sure there's some article about this, but I'm trying to make any sense of this to myself right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

great Halo game in 2019 > rushed Halo game in 2018

I think what you meant to say was:

Classic style Halo game in 2019 > CoDified Halo game in 2018

• Upvote (+1) 4

After CoD:MW2 blew up in popularity it became the standard for console shooters. People expects being able to kill targets pretty easily, and the you have Halo in a 3 years development cycle that releases H:Reach with a 5 shot DMR with bloom , extremely slow kill times . You can go a survey the average FPS player and they will tell you the most annoying thing of Halo is that "people take forever to die" . The average player isn't interested in mastering a 5 shot perfect weapon or mastering glitches.

This is just defeatist bullshit. Mw2 being popular doesn't mean halo needed to be unpopular. Hell, Reach and H4 both sold 10million copies. The interest has been there, the quality to sustain interest has not.

Nowadays the average player just knows Halo games aren't very good. No one would complain about long kill times if they actually had fun getting the kills.

I don't disagree, but now that we've gone so long without a good Halo game, Halo is no longer the standard. People expect ADS, low kill times, and low effort kills now. So now that's an obstacle that Halo has to overcome that it didn't before, because easy kills weren't the standard in 2007. Prying people away from their instant gratification, zero effort dopamine fix is going to be a new challenge even with a perfect game. When you introduce an absurdly unnecessary skill floor like H5 has...fuckin good luck. I can point to SEVERAL real life friends that I've tried and failed to bring into H5 because kills are too hard and the movement is too complicated.

Yup. That's why I said this.

If gamers today are used to easy shooters, it's due in part because Halo stopped being a good example of a more nuanced shooter, and they had nothing else to play.

It's been 10 years since a good halo game has been released. A decade worth of new gamers who don't know any better. MCC was the chance to show them the light, and 343 blew that too.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

maybe if u had actual points besides "they're not that bad guys:" i would have said something with more substance lol

ok,then I'll make a couple points.

1.It's the only thing that prevents anarki and nix from being fragged off spawn by a rail or rocket and balances them against heavier characters that can take 3 or 4 before they're in trouble.Nix can take one rail and then she's in deep shit and needs to replenish her stack, tankier characters don't have that problem.It's similar to anarki who's also a low HP character.Literally how broken anarki's and nyx's abilities are is the only thing that balances them against heavier characters.

2.None of the pros have a problem with champions.I can find clips of pros getting tilted by zoom damage,the lowering of the skillgap,and the deemphasis on control due some of the changes I've listed but they consider champions balanced.

Oh and the thing you mentioned with the gauntlet was a glitch where it did way more damage then intended.Bethesda really should've kept this in closed beta for a couple more months.

1.It's the only thing that prevents anarki and nix from being fragged off spawn by a rail or rocket and balances them against heavier characters that can take 3 or 4 before they're in trouble.Nix can take one rail and then she's in deep shit and needs to replenish her stack, tankier characters don't have that problem.It's similar to anarki who's also a low HP character.Literally how broken anarki's and nyx's abilities are is the only thing that balances them against heavier characters.

2.None of the pros have a problem with champions. I can find clips of pros getting tilted by zoom damage,the lowering of the skillgap,and the deemphasis on control due some of the changes I've listed but they consider champions balanced.

Oh and the thing you mentioned with the gauntlet was a glitch where it did way more damage then intended.Bethesda really should've kept this in closed beta for a couple more months.

Neither of those justify the existence of Champions to begin with, nor the fact the game is by definition a hero shooter, regardless of how minimal a presence the Hero's have. There are going to be engagements that inherently favour being one archetype over another, or having the right ability at the right time and as result, no longer come down entirely to player ability.

Your arguments reek of the same desperation found In those attempting to downplay sprints effect on Halo.

Having said that, I agree with whoever said that we should still support Quake Champions because a failure of both it and Doom tells some CEO who hasn't played a game in his life OG gameplay doesn't sell. Make it clear champions are an unneccesary and undesired addition, but support it based on its core gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The fact that you had to explain your points of characters having different max health and degrees of cheap/non-cheap abilities tells enough of what's wrong with the "Arena" Shooter you're defending.

Doesn't matter if the movement is close to what it was before. Doesn't matter if there's still weapons to control and Power-Ups to grab. Everyone has a crutch in their pocket.

We didn't like it in Reach, we most certainly didn't like it in THE 4, so it being in another game series that use to be cool is bullshit. 

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Neither of those justify the existence of Champions to begin with, nor the fact the game is by definition a hero shooter, regardless of how minimal a presence the Hero's have. There are going to be engagements that inherently favour being one archetype over another, or having the right ability at the right time and as result, no longer come down entirely to player ability.

Your arguments reek of the same desperation found In those attempting to downplay sprints effect on Halo.

Having said that, I agree with whoever said that we should still support Quake Champions because a failure of both it and Doom tells some CEO who hasn't played a game in his life OG gameplay doesn't sell. Make it clear champions are an unneccesary and undesired addition, but support it based on its core gameplay.

The doom side of id might as well be a completely different studio. They have two studio heads and two teams. One working on doom and one on quake.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Your maps make me sad because I'll never get to see them in MM while having to deal with 343's maps.

Edit because people suck

Cod 4 is shit

I came here to say that

fucking jugg, fucking martydom, fucking spawns, fucking claymorex2, fucking nadesx3

Fuck cod 4

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Cod 4 is shit

I came here to say that

fucking jugg, fucking martydom, fucking spawns, fucking claymorex2, fucking nadesx3

Fuck cod 4

I agree. I also think the advanced movement makes cod play way better. Less campy.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I wouldn't even buy me Cod

Is the job at Treyarch kind of like a stepping stone to you, or do you believe that you can do wonders for CoD's level design? (not even being facetious here)

I don't know, I just don't like CoD as much as other shooters because there's not a whole lot of truly dynamic elements to it when it comes to the gameplay. Titanfall 2 has the titans versus pilots angle, Battlefield has vehicles versus class balance and usage versus the spawning system, and Halo is (was) a simple shooter where the weapons and their placement, map design, and skill of the individual players and as a team made much more of a difference.

The flip side is that CoD is casual, easy to play, and doesn't require much of anything to do well in. While I can understand the sentiment for that, judging from my limited experience with your perspective as a map designer it doesn't seem like it's your cup of tea. You could produce mediocre maps and get away with it because CoD isn't the best place to flesh out map design when its gameplay doesn't support the things you can push for like in a Halo game.

r/codcompetitve caught wind of this post, safe to say you've rustled some people's jimmies haha

• Upvote (+1) 1

Welp since my xbone kicked the bucket sold my halo 5 copy, I recommend everybody do it if they still dislike the game here lol

It literally will not get any better so you have nothing to lose! :D

So no, I don't really give a shit about the game honestly.  

Curious - what would happen if they saw this post? Like surely it's easy to figure out who you are.