CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Well, I guess Halo will continue to have poor turnouts and interest in it's e-sports than.

If the game plays well on PC and is way more skillful than Halo 5 and not CoDified like H5 you bet your ass the competition will be on PC over Xbox. HUGE if. 

I wouldn't expect the radical redirection from H5's design that would make H6 worth having a PC scene. It would be nice if it happened, but I'm not really planning on it.

Here's something I always wondered for the Halo crowd that wants the series to be moved from console to pc... I understand the positives of having it move to PC, but I was always curious and under the assumption that why would any competitive PC player decide to pick it up now that it was off the xbox? Wouldn't the majority stick with current competitive FPS titles rather than pick up one that is notoriously watered down from a PC players point of view?

Like how much would we benefit as a community? I could see various orgs and sponsors getting involved but how many console players actually make the transition just for one game? How many current PC players would give up their games to play Halo?

I'm not sure of what benefits it will provide the competitive community either, its definitely hard to tell the future of something that's so implementation dependent like that. That being said though, I think the competitive PC communities you and I are imagining are divergent. Casual shooters on PC are enormous, and competitive shooter juggernauts (like CSGO and Overwatch) are focusing harder on accessibility than ever before. Believe me, nobody playing any popular competitive shooter nowadays is exactly looking down from an ivory tower at Halo.

Hopefully H6 PC port has a dedicated team of experienced PC devs, not just a forge team with an afterthought...  I honestly think the H6 PC port will be much higher quality than H5F and even if it is CoDified, I think PC will have a more competitive scene due to the nature of mouse and keyboard.  That is unless the aiming is still shizah like H5F.  In then end, I will probably just end up playing the campaign and the multiplayer for a small duration because the core mechanics are going to be H5 based witch kills any form of enthusiasm.  

I fully expect a decent H6 port to be moderately more popular as H5F, especially if it still requires high min specs, and is still Windows 10 only, Windows Store only. That is to say, small, unless one of those stated conditions changes.

You'd have to design it differently.A huge aspect of halo is that the power weapons are more difficult to use ex:sniper rifle has less aim assist and bullet magnetism than the the utility weapon.You'd have to replicate that on PC.

Not really. Bullet mag is still 100% functional/adjustable with KB/M, and with a decent utility weapon and descope, snipers should work fine in their current implementation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That you don't like their games doesn't change the fact that ps4 and switch have way better games tho, and this just makes my statement way stronger, why buy an xbox when you can play their games on pc?

Miss me with that Crap. Your last of Us clones won't save you and your jappy weab games are niche at best

I wouldn't call any game with cooldowns a comeback to arena shooters.

How many hours do you have in the Quake Champions BETA? 

That game is an arena shooter and to say otherwise is just wrong. The abilities are not at all game breaking and actually make it more fun IMO. The cooldowns are on such a huge timer as well so it's not like you experience them that often. I've gone on a 20 kill killstreak without even using an ability. They have work to do and balancing to do but that is expected. 

Some of you people think Quake could come out with the same gameplay as Quake Live but with updated graphics and do well. That is just not the case and never will be. I've talked to RocketJumpNinja who has been playing Quake for 18 or so years and he loves Quake Champions. The game is still insanely skill based.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Miss me with that Crap. Your last of Us clones won't save you and your jappy weab games are niche at best

what are u talking about

• Upvote (+1) 1

That game is an arena shooter and to say otherwise is just wrong. The abilities are not at all game breaking and actually make it more fun IMO. The cooldowns are on such a huge timer as well so it's not like you experience them that often. I've gone on a 20 kill killstreak without even using an ability. They have work to do and balancing to do but that is expected. 

Some of you people think Quake could come out with the same gameplay as Quake Live but with updated graphics and do well. That is just not the case and never will be. I've talked to RocketJumpNinja who has been playing Quake for 18 or so years and he loves Quake Champions. The game is still insanely skill based.  

I don't think a Quake 3 clone will ever do well in today's market. AFPS is a dead genre and we should just let sleeping dogs lie.

Now I have to question your time spent in the Beta.

If you find Nyx instantly disappearing in front of you while being completely invulnerable and B.J. essentially having a pocket double damage LG or MG on a short CD to not be problematic, then there's nothing to discuss. 

Let's not talk about Duel either nor the fact that the 1v1 competitive legacy of Quake is now being forcibly reshaped into 4v4 Hero Objective gameplay.

RocketJumpNinja realizes the potential that a new Quake game has to the community. He's pushing it and not being overly critical because he actually wants to grow a community for a genre/franchise that is extremely dead. I don't think it will work, but I think his content is fantastic.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think a Quake 3 clone will ever do well in today's market. AFPS is a dead genre and we should just let sleeping dogs lie.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how Quake and Lawbreakers turn out.

Most Arena FPS I've seen pop up (toxikk, reflex) die within a few months of release if they even really get that far.

I've heard incredibly good things about Lawbreakers surprisingly, and some good things about Quake.

Nyx can literally disappear and not be harmed or seen for 10 second, come out with a gauntlet, and two shot people to death

Duel is bastardized

TDM is still fun as always though, Freeze tag also needs to make a return

Oh wait this is the Halo 5 thread. Halo 5 sucks. Thats my contribution for the day

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

As I stated before, no, it has to have a bunch of changes for that to be the case. 

If the game was competitive? Then yes, it could do very well. 

As I said, even with these changes, it would still compete with PC games that are doing good already (+ new ones still to come)

343 failed by trying to chase the CoD crowd, I don't see chasing the PC crowd coming to a different result.

Yea because Halo is doing SOOOOOO well on its exclusive console right? We are behind like 4 different CoDs and practically every other FPS on the Xbox.

I never said Halo is doing good, but where do you think will it end up when being on PC if it can't even compete on it's "own turf"?

Maybe I just know the wrong people but I've never seen someone say "Do you still remember this subpar console shooter? yeah I'd totally drop any successful PC game just to play that."

If Halo wants to lose it's shitty reputation it needs to fix it's "foundation" first.

As I said, even with these changes, it would still compete with PC games that are doing good already (+ new ones still to come)

343 failed by trying to chase the CoD crowd, I don't see chasing the PC crowd coming to a different result.

I never said Halo is doing good, but where do you think will it end up when being on PC if it can't even compete on it's "own turf"?

Maybe I just know the wrong people but I've never seen someone say "Do you still remember this subpar console shooter? yeah I'd totally drop any successful PC game just to play that."

If Halo wants to lose it's shitty reputation it needs to fix it's "foundation" first.

Put Halo on PC. Watch Summit single handedly make the game relevant again (if it's not dogshit).
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Who said the only tournaments would be MS funded?

Yes, Halo could be a CoD situation where the comp scene remains on console but don't expect it to get much bigger than it is now if that's the case.

Edit: You don't think MS wants to get some of that PC audience?

csgomaj.jpg

Lol

Come back to reality my friend.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Put Halo on PC. Watch Summit single handedly make the game relevant again (if it's not dogshit).

I mean, I don't know the PC community tbh, if they will really follow some youtuber then yes, I guess Halo does have a chance to make it big.

I don't see 343 pulling of a proper Halo MP (be it Xbox or PC) anyway so we will never find out i guess...

343 hasn't even shown they can make a successful game in the sense that its actually popular and people play it for months/years. All they've shown is that they suck at releasing finished products and that they cannot be expected to patch anything on a reasonable time table. You can give them one of the most popular console franchises of all time and they fail to generate greater interest inside of their own tiny bubble than games that are on multiple platforms and more successful/popular on each platform individually. In fact its a little unreasonable to even expect a working patch from their company. Moving to PC and having huge esports events would be great but they can hardly crawl when people want them to run. People need to come back to earth with the expectations for H6.

• Upvote (+1) 4

LIRIK would play too. That's 50K people instantly watching Halo with zero effort.

Not to mention if LIRIK plays, his bros Shorty and whoever else he plays with regularly will be on there. Viewership would skyrocket on PC. Significantly.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It'll definitely be interesting to see how Quake and Lawbreakers turn out.

Most Arena FPS I've seen pop up (toxikk, reflex) die within a few months of release if they even really get that far.

I've heard incredibly good things about Lawbreakers surprisingly, and some good things about Quake.

The new quake and lawbreakers suffer from the same issue that halo has. It's too compromised and afraid to take a stand and be unique. Neither game will succeed because of this.

Citing games like reflex is like saying "oh blacklight wasn't succesful. Clearly nobody likes modern military shooters!".

A AAA game needs to come oout that is an unapologetic arena shooter before we can really gauge the state of the genre.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Inb4 cool people come to flame the shit out of you for digging quake champions.  It's a hero shooter, don't you know, and aiming doesn't even matter anymore because of it.  Basically the jist of said incoming flameage. 

edit: too late

• Upvote (+1) 1

LIRIK would play too. That's 50K people instantly watching Halo with zero effort.

Not to mention if LIRIK plays, his bros Shorty and whoever else he plays with regularly will be on there. Viewership would skyrocket on PC. Significantly.

Yea true I forgot about Lirik. Honestly, it's crazy that Summit has basically begged 343 to make a good PC game and he will advertise to thousands of people FOR FREE and yet here we are. There is so much potential just from those few people. Come on 343.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Nyx can literally disappear and not be harmed or seen for 10 second, come out with a gauntlet, and two shot people to death

Duel is bastardized

TDM is still fun as always though, Freeze tag also needs to make a return

Oh wait this is the Halo 5 thread. Halo 5 sucks. Thats my contribution for the day

+1 for the H5 hate. 

Now I have to question your time spent in the Beta.

If you find Nyx instantly disappearing in front of you while being completely invulnerable and B.J. essentially having a pocket double damage LG or MG on a short CD to not be problematic, then there's nothing to discuss. 

Let's not talk about Duel either nor the fact that the 1v1 competitive legacy of Quake is now being forcibly reshaped into 4v4 Hero Objective gameplay.

RocketJumpNinja realizes the potential that a new Quake game has to the community. He's pushing it and not being overly critical because he actually wants to grow a community for a genre/franchise that is extremely dead. I don't think it will work, but I think his content is fantastic.

Those abilities just allow for mind games bro. cmon. 

The thing about Lirik and Summit is that they would stream a good Halo 6 on PC. The problem is getting a good Halo 6. They're not going to continue playing or advertising a shit game. What they do will naturally occur without any interaction from 343 assuming they create a good experience that people want to play. Its not really anything to worry/think about. Make a good game and popular streamers along with everyone else will want to play.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You guys realize that the main reason that Halo isn't popular is because for the average shooter player is too difficult. The average gamer is used to kill in a few bullets with every gun, for the average CoD player having to hit 5 shots in a row with a single shot weapon is impossible.

It doesn't matter how good H6 is , the average player will come and say "where is my M16 and how come I can't kill in 1 burst to the chest" and then leave.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

You guys realize that the main reason that Halo isn't popular is because for the average shooter player is too difficult. The average gamer is used to kill in a few bullets with every gun, for the average CoD player having to hit 5 shots in a row with a single shot weapon is impossible.

It doesn't matter how good H6 is , the average player will come and say "where is my M16 and how come I can't kill in 1 burst to the chest" and then leave.

Is that why counter strike is so poplular?

All I heard was Halo is hard.   CS is hard but it's still popular.  

Or maybe you were referring strictly to long kill times.   I'd love for faster movement and faster kill times in Halo again.  It'll never happen though.  343 is all about team shot Halo.    

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That logic doesn't even make sense. Some of the most popular games in the world are 10x more difficult to play and have a much higher learning curve. Halo is actually on the easier end of the spectrum to play than most games.

Halo isn't popular because the Halo is ass cheeks these days. I know you favor Halo 5 a little bit, but come on man lol... Let's be honest here.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Inb4 cool people come to flame the shit out of you for digging quake champions.  It's a hero shooter, don't you know, and aiming doesn't even matter anymore because of it.  Basically the jist of said incoming flameage. 

edit: too late

In my best Rage Against the Machine voice,

Some of those that want Quake Live, are the same that play Halo 5. 

• Upvote (+1) 1