CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yea, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. 

There isn't one PS4 exclusive that I'm remotely interested in, I hate the idea of exclusives with a passion, and I applaud MS for for doing the right thing and making games for the Xbox and PC. The gamers win and they win. They sell way more games which is where they make their money. Sony on the other hand, makes a ton of 3rd person action movies games and holds them hostage in the hopes that you'll buy their system. No thanks. Oh and I can't stand the PS controller. 

Horizon Zero Dawn, TLOU Remaster, Bloodborne, Kingdom Hearts, The Last Guardian, its got some decent exclusives if its your type of game. The switch only has one AAA game so far and while its a superb game I wouldn't recommend getting a switch right now.

However I agree with this second part a lot. I saw so many people bashing MS after E3 because of the lack of exclusives, the only thing that came to my mind is "how is anyone viewing this as a bad thing". MS is more than open to having shared servers between consoles/PC (Minecraft, Rocket League) and separating them when it would become a problem. They even have crossbuy on a lot of first party titles so that you can play it on whatever you're feeling like (Windows Store sucks though). Seems like a win/win for gamers.

You mean steam family sharing?

Ya. But I don't know a single person in real life who games on PC.

You see laziness, I see preference. I am straight up not interested in PC gaming at all. I know what it entails and I don't want that. I feel like you're getting more aggressive and heavy handed with your PC preference and it's offputting. It's not for everyone.

I guess you want me to sugar coat it, then? What else do you call it exactly? You want to be able to upgrade without opening the box, because talking off a side panel, popping the graphics card out of the PCIe slot, unplugging the power and then doing the reverse for the new card is too much? Or a hard drive? Open the side panel, remove the handful of screws holding the drive in place, unplug it, plug in the new one, secure it with screws, put the side panel back on. I turned my PC from 2011, which I have used regularly since then, into a machine that absolutely shits on the Xbone and PS4 in terms of performance by swapping in a 300 dollar graphics card with the process described above. Took maybe a half hour, counting the driver installation process. All of my other hardware and peripherals? Still work just fine. Still have actual precision aim in shooters without needing aim assist to function.

Unification? So, you don't want actual choices to make or meaningful competition between marketplaces? I guess buying entire systems for a handful of games is better. Fuck, dude. Steam is the standard on PC and does everything XBL does and plenty more on top of the vastly better sale prices on a regular basis. Oh, and you don't have to pay a subscription fee for multiplayer that fucks up constantly. You don't like friends lists and voice chat that are actually functionally and high quality? Hell, you can just install the Xbox app. It works about as well as the Xboner features do (not that well). I guess that's too inconvenient?

Level playing field? See, that might be a useful point if that "level" wasn't low as fuck as a result of the shitty standards that are par for the course in console game. And this is EXACTLY my problem with the XbOX. This is supposed to be a "competitive" forum, right? So, why the hell would anyone give a shit about 4K over high framerates, exactly? Is there any coherent reason this system couldn't have competitive multiplayer games running at 1080p/144Hz? Hell, even 720p if necessary? A relatively inexpensive, closed system, with in-built anti-cheat that guarantees a locked, high framerate for your game? You could just make it an optional "high performance" mode if options menus are to scary. That might actually have some appeal to me. Instead, everything needs to be 4K, even SUPER-SAMPLED if you're outputting 1080p (absolutely idiotic), and you'll maybe get 60fps in some games? What a useless crock of shit.

I guess realism is off-putting to you, but I don't know what else to call that mentality. You aren't interested in an option that is quantifiably better in basically every respect, because of some minor at best inconveniences that you don't want to deal with? This isn't MS-DOS we're talking about here, man. This is modern Windows. The shit literally installs itself and, amusingly, the UX is fairly similar to the Xbone anyway. I guess I'm just tired of low standards in general, and I've gotten plenty of that from the Halo community.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I used to pc game and holy fuck it was a hassle.

My gaming habit didn't really take off until I bought an xbox and popped in halo.

PC gaming is definitely not for everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Look at that! Someone feels differently than I do? Let me just talk down to them!

Well boys, I got me about $1,200 - $1,500 set aside that I can invest in a PC. Can someone put together a build for me that will play Halo CE better than it plays on console?

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The best PC games have the lowest requirements.

LoL, Dota, Starct, CSGO, and whatever version of H1Z1 the kids are playing today.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The best PC games have the lowest requirements.

LoL, Dota, Starct, CSGO, and whatever version of H1Z1 the kids are playing today.

Probably one of the things I compliment Blizzard most on (besides cutscenes) is that all of their games don't require a lot of power to run.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Look at that! Someone feels differently than I do? Let me just talk down to them!

Well boys, I got me about $1,200 - $1,500 set aside that I can invest in a PC. Can someone put together a build for me that will play Halo CE better than it plays on console?

Maybe if someone were to present a coherent rebuttal, instead of making excuses and pretending we're still in the MS-DOS era of PC gaming, that wouldn't be necessary. Consoles and PCs are on opposite trajectories in terms of usability and stability, but I guess knowing that would require actually turning on a PC. If you are going for consoles like Xbone/PS4 over PC at this point, especially for multiplayer shooters, you don't care that much about the quality of the experience or the competition. Just be honest.

Don't you have some Quake to play with a controller or something?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Maybe if someone were to present a coherent rebuttal, instead of making excuses and pretending we're still in the MS-DOS era of PC gaming, that wouldn't be necessary. Consoles and PCs are on opposite trajectories in terms of usability and stability, but I guess knowing that would require actually turning on a PC. If you are going for consoles like Xbone/PS4 over PC at this point, especially for multiplayer shooters, you don't care that much about the quality of the experience or the competition. Just be honest.

The best PC shooters can be played on a potato computer
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The really good conversation is going to be when Halo 6 is released on PC as well as Xbox. Where will the tournaments be run if any at all? 

You're just going to ignore all the cheating that takes place on PC?

This is why I'm getting an Xbox one X over a PC.

Shits to confusing and I can't be arsed to learn.

I just want to chill and play some games. But got a 4k TV so fuck it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're just going to ignore all the cheating that takes place on PC?

Cheating is honestly so rare in the grand scheme of things you could go years without running into an actual cheater in most games. Cheating on console is a thing too btw, look at the recent DDoS attacks in OW on console that aren't possible on PC because only on console do people get access to your IP if you join a party chat with them. 

What is confusing to you? Once you watch like one 10 minute video on how to put all the PC parts together you know all you need to know to get up and running. Want to know what to buy within a budget? Ask any number of forums or the buildapc subreddit and there will always be tons of people willing to help. It isn't hard and it's actually a lot of fun building it and you get a sense of pride when you boot it up for the first time.

It's like being content with a steak from Walmart that someone else cooks well-done for you vs buying a nice New York strip and cooking it yourself a perfect medium-rare. Damn now I'm hungry

WAIT are you actually getting a pc 

Xbox one is probably my last console. The One X is what the One should have been. I don't deny that PC's are better than consoles in an abundance of ways. Maybe someone doesn't care about anything that you just said though? Why does it matter so much if they don't?

You're on a forum thats primarily about competitive Halo, a franchise that's entire competitive history has been on console. Don't even care for the weak bait at the end. Just goes to show how much of a joke it is to discuss anything with you sometimes.

WAIT are you actually getting a pc 

Not anytime soon but maybe next year.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Damnit dude I was hoping you'd actually bite and be able to experience Quake on a mouse and keyboard

Cheating is honestly so rare in the grand scheme of things you could go years without running into an actual cheater in most games. Cheating on console is a thing too btw, look at the recent DDoS attacks in OW on console that aren't possible on PC because only on console do people get access to your IP if you join a party chat with them.

What is confusing to you? Once you watch like one 10 minute video on how to put all the PC parts together you know all you need to know to get up and running. Want to know what to buy within a budget? Ask any number of forums or the buildapc subreddit and there will always be tons of people willing to help. It isn't hard and it's actually a lot of fun building it and you get a sense of pride when you boot it up for the first time.

It's like being content with a steak from Walmart that someone else cooks well-done for you vs buying a nice New York strip and cooking it yourself a perfect medium-rare. Damn now I'm hungry

But I have no interest in learning how to.

I have no idea what a CPU is and what the difference is to a GPU. What cores do, what iteams are compatable, what a bios is and everything else.

I also can't really cook either. Normally stick to ready meals, frozen pizza and food you can just put in the oven.

My Brother actually made a PC. He spends more time fucking around with it then actually playing games. I bet half the PC has been replaced over the last couple of years.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have no idea what a CPU is and what the difference is to a GPU. What cores do, what iteams are compatable, what a bios is and everything else.

Computer hardware is pretty simple actually.  Been meaning to make this image anyways.

No idea what's up with your brother.  A PC should not require constant fiddling with the internal parts in standard use, unless he's just dusting it out?  Parts themselves shouldn't need to be replaced more than every few years anyways.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Computer hardware is pretty simple actually. Been meaning to make this image anyways.

No idea what's up with your brother. A PC should not require constant fiddling with the internal parts in standard use, unless he's just dusting it out? Parts themselves shouldn't need to be replaced more than every few years anyways.

But it's still more effort then just buying a console and is easier to maintain.

I guess you want me to sugar coat it, then? What else do you call it exactly? You want to be able to upgrade without opening the box, because talking off a side panel, popping the graphics card out of the PCIe slot, unplugging the power and then doing the reverse for the new card is too much? Or a hard drive? Open the side panel, remove the handful of screws holding the drive in place, unplug it, plug in the new one, secure it with screws, put the side panel back on. I turned my PC from 2011, which I have used regularly since then, into a machine that absolutely shits on the Xbone and PS4 in terms of performance by swapping in a 300 dollar graphics card with the process described above. Took maybe a half hour, counting the driver installation process. All of my other hardware and peripherals? Still work just fine. Still have actual precision aim in shooters without needing aim assist to function.

Unification? So, you don't want actual choices to make or meaningful competition between marketplaces? I guess buying entire systems for a handful of games is better. Fuck, dude. Steam is the standard on PC and does everything XBL does and plenty more on top of the vastly better sale prices on a regular basis. Oh, and you don't have to pay a subscription fee for multiplayer that fucks up constantly. You don't like friends lists and voice chat that are actually functionally and high quality? Hell, you can just install the Xbox app. It works about as well as the Xboner features do (not that well). I guess that's too inconvenient?

Level playing field? See, that might be a useful point if that "level" wasn't low as fuck as a result of the shitty standards that are par for the course in console game. And this is EXACTLY my problem with the XbOX. This is supposed to be a "competitive" forum, right? So, why the hell would anyone give a shit about 4K over high framerates, exactly? Is there any coherent reason this system couldn't have competitive multiplayer games running at 1080p/144Hz? Hell, even 720p if necessary? A relatively inexpensive, closed system, with in-built anti-cheat that guarantees a locked, high framerate for your game? You could just make it an optional "high performance" mode if options menus are to scary. That might actually have some appeal to me. Instead, everything needs to be 4K, even SUPER-SAMPLED if you're outputting 1080p (absolutely idiotic), and you'll maybe get 60fps in some games? What a useless crock of shit.

I guess realism is off-putting to you, but I don't know what else to call that mentality. You aren't interested in an option that is quantifiably better in basically every respect, because of some minor at best inconveniences that you don't want to deal with? This isn't MS-DOS we're talking about here, man. This is modern Windows. The shit literally installs itself and, amusingly, the UX is fairly similar to the Xbone anyway. I guess I'm just tired of low standards in general, and I've gotten plenty of that from the Halo community.

Neat. I don't care.

It's like being content with a steak from Walmart that someone else cooks well-done for you vs buying a nice New York strip and cooking it yourself a perfect medium-rare. Damn now I'm hungry

Ya right lol. Cheating is prevalent on PC.

Most pc games are designed to play on potato pcs that are less powerful then consoles anyways.

What's the point? To play maxed out games that are also on console?

Plus there are tons of console games that either never come to PC or end up being terrible ports.

What was the last awe inspiring AAA pc exclusive? Crysis? 10 years ago?

The really good conversation is going to be when Halo 6 is released on PC as well as Xbox. Where will the tournaments be run if any at all? 

well if 343 does another shitty port to the PC then the tournaments will be on console.  

• Upvote (+1) 1