CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Controllers are literally plug and play on PC. The difference is that you DON'T have the option of keyboard and mouse, without something like a XIM, on console. The real difference here is that a PC is fully capable of functioning almost exactly like a console, while the reverse is not true. Stop getting so turnt up about this, dude. Relax.

You still have to use a mouse and keyboard to get a game running. It's a complete pain in the ass. Have you seriously used a PC in a livingroom environment before for prolonged period of time arg? I have and it's not practical at all. It's not designed for that type of use.

Consoles are. Their OS can be navigated by controller alone. It doesn't make since to compare PCs to consoles. At all. They are used differently on different display panel technology. 

They don't make high refresh TVs. The One X is designed for TVs. Not desktops. Just because you CAN use it in a desktop environment, doesn't mean that it should be compared to a desktop environment. Get your mind outside of trying to use a One X like a PC for one little second and realize its designed purpose and measure its performance with an unbiased position.

Are you going to compare an easy bake oven to a Ilve Majestic Collection UM150SDMP?   They are both capable of baking brownies. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The fact of the matter is, after all this arguing, every single legit study done on this subject shows that PC gaming IS cheaper by a wide margin in the long run. There might be a bigger up front cost because you want to get the best you can afford right away because it's more economical that way. Not even to mention that the PC can do infinitely more than a console can. Multiple screens, >60fps, ultrawide, 4k+, dual boot, etc etc etc. 

Consoles exist because some people just want to buy a box, plug it into their tv, and play a game. Even though with every new console that is becoming more and more rare, they all require a setup phase, tons of updates to download, etc. 

I agree with all that, but I don't think PCs and consoles are designed for similar use or audience and comparing them performance wise is dumb. Compare PCs to PCs and consoles to consoles.  They serve different purposes. I dont go around comparing Hand held consoles to consoles.  "They both play games"  But they are used differently on different hardware.  It's not semantics. It's literally difference in how the hardware is used.  It's not trivial and it completely determines the audience.  There will  mostly likely be a living room gaming audience for quite sometime and until things like Steam's big picture mode and things like that get better, a console will be more convenient in a living room environment and still serve a different purpose than a PC. Unitll then, I don't think it makes sensee to compare their performance. I will continue to compare my xbox to PS4 and Wii U and compare my PC rig to Arg's shitty PC rig he loves so dearly.    

• Upvote (+1) 3

The fact of the matter is, after all this arguing, every single legit study done on this subject shows that PC gaming IS cheaper by a wide margin in the long run. There might be a bigger up front cost because you want to get the best you can afford right away because it's more economical that way. Not even to mention that the PC can do infinitely more than a console can. Multiple screens, >60fps, ultrawide, 4k+, dual boot, etc etc etc. 

Consoles exist because some people just want to buy a box, plug it into their tv, and play a game. Even though with every new console that is becoming more and more rare, they all require a setup phase, tons of updates to download, etc. 

this I can agree with, consoles used to be very different to pc's, you got home, you got a game, and you play it, now you gotta wait to install it, consoles nowadays are just dumber pcs, which are just shit.

PCs even tried to eliminate installations if you had a disc with halo 2, with a feature called tray and play, but it was vaporware, didn't actually work.

I agree with all that, but I don't think PCs and cosoles are designed for similar use or audience and comparing them performance wise is dumb. Compare PCs to PCs and consoles to consoles.  The serve different purposes. 

I don't think consoles directly compete with PCs but I'm fine comparing the experiences. 

Crackdown 3 on the Xbox v. Crackdown 3 on the PC for example. One of them will 100% be the better version and the better experience. I can't think of a single game I'd rather have on the Xbox v. the PC given the option of both. 

If you wanted to play a PC game on the big TV it's only as complicated as you make it. I get annoyed all the time with my Xbox because the controllers batteries are running low, or it just loses connection with the Xbox, or having the download an update to my Netflix app, etc.

If I wanted a living room PC I'd build a HTPC, boot into Steam Big Picture (which means all you'd need is a controller), and launch a game. If I then wanted to do other stuff on the PC on get a wireless keyboard with trackpad. EZPZ

• Upvote (+1) 1

halo is dead btw and xbox has no games so even if you prefer consoles why tf would you buy an xbox instead of a superior ps4 or a switch :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 5

lol halo 5 got like 3 call of dutys ahead of it in the population

Yea right like you can trust the numbers given to us from Microsoft. FAKE NEWS 

halo is dead btw and xbox has no games so even if you prefer consoles why tf would you buy an xbox instead of a superior ps4 or a switch :thinking:

Yea, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. 

There isn't one PS4 exclusive that I'm remotely interested in, I hate the idea of exclusives with a passion, and I applaud MS for for doing the right thing and making games for the Xbox and PC. The gamers win and they win. They sell way more games which is where they make their money. Sony on the other hand, makes a ton of 3rd person action movies games and holds them hostage in the hopes that you'll buy their system. No thanks. Oh and I can't stand the PS controller. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

I don't think consoles directly compete with PCs but I'm fine comparing the experiences. 

Crackdown 3 on the Xbox v. Crackdown 3 on the PC for example. One of them will 100% be the better version and the better experience. I can't think of a single game I'd rather have on the Xbox v. the PC given the option of both. 

If you wanted to play a PC game on the big TV it's only as complicated as you make it. I get annoyed all the time with my Xbox because the controllers batteries are running low, or it just loses connection with the Xbox, or having the download an update to my Netflix app, etc.

If I wanted a living room PC I'd build a HTPC, boot into Steam Big Picture (which means all you'd need is a controller), and launch a game. If I then wanted to do other stuff on the PC on get a wireless keyboard with trackpad. EZPZ

Of course Crackdown will play better on PC.  Basically any Xbox play anywhere game will play better on PC.  That's not what I'm arguing with arg about. It's about the convenience of a console in a livingroom environment and it's intended use. One X for $500 is so much more hassle free than a custom build HTPC running steam big picture mode.  Not to mention all the media befits that comes with a One X that an HTPC will not provide.

I am in no way saying a One X experience will ever out do a PC experience, whereever a PC might be used.  I will argue that are designed for completely differnt use and don't make sense to compare performance. A one X will be better compared to it's peers; PS4, PS4 pro, Wii U, Switch Kinda, wierd mobile hybrit thingy, yada yada, Performance wise.  Of course the One X is paper weight compared to a PC, but it's still more convenient in its designed environment and it make more sense to compare it to likewise designed hardware.     

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. 

There isn't one PS4 exclusive that I'm remotely interested in, I hate the idea of exclusives with a passion, and I applaud MS for for doing the right thing and making games for the Xbox and PC. The gamers win and they win. They sell way more games which is where they make their money. Sony on the other hand, makes a ton of 3rd person action movies games and holds them hostage in the hopes that you'll buy their system. No thanks. Oh and I can't stand the PS controller. 

That you don't like their games doesn't change the fact that ps4 and switch have way better games tho, and this just makes my statement way stronger, why buy an xbox when you can play their games on pc?

• Downvote (-1) 1

Unitll then, I don't think it make since to compare their performance.    

Exhibit A.

I am in no way saying a One X experience will ever out do a PC experience, whereever a PC might be used.  I will argue that are designed for completely differnt use and don't make since to compare performance.

Exhibit B.

Seems to me you don't understand typing well.

Good thing I have a 120k+ lines of code program that will solve this problem.

PM me for details.

:kappa:

• Downvote (-1) 4

Sony was losing money with the PS3. They sold the console for $600 when it cost them $800 to produce them.

Which is believable as both the 360 and PS3 rivaled the specs of a high end PC at the time of release. Equivalent GPU's cost ~$500 at the time.

Exhibit A.

Exhibit B.

PM me for details.

Lol someone's jimmies are rustled. 

Exhibit A.

Exhibit B.

PM me for details.

Oh quick someone call the grammar sheriff.  

Exhibit C.

42bfcaf6770afe9073a31e041a9fe623a1170c54

• Upvote (+1) 5

Game sharing.

Xbox game sharing saves me hundreds a year.

Game sharing.

Xbox game sharing saves me hundreds a year.

You mean steam family sharing?

• Upvote (+1) 7

And console dudes get happy with backwards compatibility..... when games on pc, are and will always be games on pc, there is no backwards/forwards regime going on here

EDIT: It does, looking forward to metroid, I want to know more about the franchise

Well, yeah, it is. Because the XbonerenobX's performance is going to be locked at 60fps so all of the console kiddies can bask in the glory of all of their post-processing, bloom, motion blur, particle effects, 4K TEXTURES and whatever other visual noise developers can cram in there with some crisp VSync input lag, which means that playing at high frame rates will continue to be, effectively, a PC exclusive. So, as far as I'm concerned, the optimization point is completely irrelevant, because the performance targets have been and will continue to be dog shit, catered to shallow console gamers who think their epeen is meaningfully larger when a game is running at 1080p on their console versus 900p on another console, both at sub 30 fps. A console that can finally maintain the bare minimum 60fps? Oh boy! I will care about console optimization when they actually put it to good use.

"Super optimized." I hate to break it to you, man, but running newer games at sub-720p ~24fps isn't exactly representative of crazy optimization. You can run newer games poorly on older PCs too, especially when games and engines are being held back so they can get that bare minimum performance on old hardware (which absolutely happened with PS3 and 360).

Man, it literally takes all of 10 minutes at most to install a new graphics card with minimal knowledge required. The only part of a PC that is maybe a bit tricky is the Motherboard/CPU. Everything else is pretty much completely straightforward. I don't understand how people cling to the convenience narrative for consoles when consoles have never been LESS convenient or reliable than they are now, while the opposite is true of PCs. It's just laziness and fear of change at this point. My Xbox fucks up far more often than my PC and I have to PAY a monthly fee for the privilege.

You see laziness, I see preference. I am straight up not interested in PC gaming at all. I know what it entails and I don't want that. I feel like you're getting more aggressive and heavy handed with your PC preference and it's offputting. It's not for everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 3

And console dudes get happy with backwards compatibility..... when games on pc, are and will always be games on pc, there is no backwards/forwards regime going on here

EDIT: It does, looking forward to metroid, I want to know more about the franchise

DOSBox is ass.

Only Prime 2 and Hunters had multiplayer. Prime 2's MP was nothing worth writing home about.

You see laziness, I see preference. I am straight up not interested in PC gaming at all. I know what it entails and I don't want that. I feel like you're getting more aggressive and heavy handed with your PC preference and it's offputting. It's not for everyone.

It's offputting to me and I own 2 high end PCs. I also own a couple of consoles for occasional Halo and casual games with my boo and nephews and such.

You may not be interested in it, but I could guarantee you'd enjoy it more than console gaming. I used to be the same way as you so I'd know. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

*************PLACE YOUR BETS*************

When will console gaming end?

A: in 5 years

B: in 10 years

C: Never

D: Less than 5 years

Not sure, but I'll be waddling my old ass to Beach LAN 50 with a cane if I have to.

• Upvote (+1) 4