CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yeah, Headshot prioritization is if your reticle is within a certain distance to the head the bullet prioritizes thr head ,even though the body might be closer.That's how you get headshots when your reticle is on the stomach in some games.

I thought you were talking about the incentive players have to shoot the head, not bullet magnetism. my b

It varies from game to game.  I think it's more like 13 for the more recent games if I remember right.

16 in CE, 3, and 4. 18 in Reach.

Is this Halo 4 at launch or post-Turbo?

4 at launch I believe was 16, buffed to 13 after the balance patch.

For all there is to hate in H4, they made a damn good AR.

• Upvote (+1) 9

They should take my idea of splitting the franchise. Follow star wars, with a title set in the past with normal halo gameplay, and keep.going in the future with the advanced stuff.

It doesn't matter how long it takes 343i to make Halo 6, all its doing is delaying the immense disappointment we will all feel for the 4th time. I'm done, they've fucked up 3 times, why the fuck should they get any more chances. Why the fuck should they get anymore of my money when time after time they've failed to deliver, and MCC still doesn't fucking work. But it doesn't fucking matter what we say, because 343 have fucked this community so hard that they've created a god damn echo chamber of 343 apologists because everyone else has already left, tired of their shit, so Halo 6 is going to be Halo 5 v2. We're all here waiting for a patch to fix major issues in MCC/Halo 5 and THEY ADD MORE FUCKING MICROTRANSACTIONS. Don't even get me started on the bullshit bait and switch Halo Wars 2 Fiasco.

"You know our motto, DOUBLE THE BULLSHIT, HALF AS MANY FUCKS." - 343i

• Upvote (+1) 9

I'm late for e3 commentary, but i REALLY hope that no e3 announcement is because the game isn't due out in 2018.

Halo needs a break, a 343 needs as epiphany.

Halo 5 was a massive drop off in sales from Halo 4. It also had the franchises worst critical reception. The narrative was universally panned - few have any faith in the direction of the universe. The multiplayer was anemic and bug ridden.

Beyond all that, the engine is a dog. It somehow manages to be uglier AND perform worse than 3rd party engines like frostbite. Its a shame that an engine rework is responsible for all the lost game modes, considering how poorly it ended up performing. Risk w/ no reward.

I'd really like to see them take some extra time to fix the narrative, Fix the engine (or aquire one), and outfit the game with the amount of content we expect.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Aiming on this game feels fine on everything but HCS for me.

I'm windmilling and slapping all over the place.

Feels like my aim is 10 times more sensitive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought you were talking about the incentive players have to shoot the head, not bullet magnetism. my b

LOL hilarious conversation.  We all thought you were crazy. Now it makes sense

I'm late for e3 commentary, but i REALLY hope that no e3 announcement is because the game isn't due out in 2018.

Halo needs a break, a 343 needs as epiphany.

Halo 5 was a massive drop off in sales from Halo 4. It also had the franchises worst critical reception. The narrative was universally panned - few have any faith in the direction of the universe. The multiplayer was anemic and bug ridden.

Beyond all that, the engine is a dog. It somehow manages to be uglier AND perform worse than 3rd party engines like frostbite. Its a shame that an engine rework is responsible for all the lost game modes, considering how poorly it ended up performing. Risk w/ no reward.

I'd really like to see them take some extra time to fix the narrative, Fix the engine (or aquire one), and outfit the game with the amount of content we expect.

Yes. The engine is shit.  Why not just license UE instead?  Gears uses it and they can handle split screen with graphics that look better than H5.  As much as we are all focused on the balance and competitive aspect of the multiplayer around here, if halo wants to get its population back it needs to make a killer campaign and include staples like Ball, Bomb, KotH gametypes, BTB (with dev maps, forge maps should be extra not the main course), ACCURATE theater and Forge from day one.  To the vast majority of players, balance is secondary.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H5's engine is capable of looking good, as shown by the cutscenes. However, its performance issues/poor optimization clearly negatively impact gameplay. I'd go as far to say that 343 have not utilized some techniques that would make the game look better, weather it be due to hardware limitations/headroom, or pure ineptitude. 

For example, texture filtering is extremely efficient in modern GPU's, and yet it is almost completely absent in H5. Anti aliasing seems to be poorly implemented as well; a decent FXAA could solve this issue while being light on performance. The blurring caused by it would not be substantial as H5 is already a blurry mess.

Textures are terribad by modern standards and need way more fidelity. The XBone allows developers to use 5GB of its unified DDR3 (lower bandwidth) RAM for games, including the texture buffers/caches. This is clearly a major limitation, but other developers have been able to utilize the available resources in much better ways.

lol it's fine.I thought I was on waypoint for second.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I'm already expecting H6 to be a disappointment. They'll most likely get rid of spartan charge which people will like, but then replace it with some other crap that's just as bad or worse. What they really need to focus on for H6 is improving their shit servers.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. Fixed an issue where players could crouch into a wall and not take damage from a Plasma Grenade
2. Fixed an issue where players could fire multiple shots in rapid succession and bypass the intended weapon fire rate

This download is approx. 1.3GB in size and is rolling out now to both platforms.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Aiming on this game feels fine on everything but HCS for me.

I'm windmilling and slapping all over the place.

Feels like my aim is 10 times more sensitive.

For me this is one of the reason I didn't enjoy Halo 5. As well as none of my friends playing it.

My theory: the next xbox will launch in two years. Halo 6 will be a launch title. They are going to take an extra year to polish that turd a little longer I imagine.

The next COD doesn't have any ideas they can take. They'l have to wait another year before they can even start development now.

Unless

Spartan Hitler!

• Upvote (+1) 2

The next COD doesn't have any ideas they can take. They'l have to wait another year before they can even start development now.

Unless

Spartan Hitler!

big-boss-of-the-day-wolfenstein-3-ds-mec

• Upvote (+1) 1

HOW IS THAT 1.3 GB

I'm genuinely curious as well. They're either straight up shipping whole new executables/files/SECRET CONTENT every update, or they have the worst method of delta patching in existence.

Just for some perspective, Halo: Combat Evolved for PC takes up 1.4 GB in totality. Maps, weapons, AI, engines, textures, everything.

HOW IS THAT 1.3 GB

OF ALL THE PEOPLE HERE YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW THIS WORKS! :simms:

If the 1.3 gb update actually makes the game 1.3 gb larger in total install size, i'll eat my hat.

Just want to go record and say that even if the fixes they make are small, the fixes themselves aren't the reasoning behind the size of the patch. It has to deal with what libraries/files those fixes touched on. 

Let's say there are two files:

Library1.dll 1.0GB - Plasma grenade stuff

Library2.dll ~300 MB - Weapon stuff

Library1 could have all the fixes necessary the plasma grenade glitch, yet only took 1 line of code to fix.

Library2 could have all the changes necessary to fix the double shot glitch but may have taken 300 lines of code to fix.

The size has nothing to do with the fixes themselves it's just the size of the files that need to be updated. This is probably the one instance you'll see me taking up for 343 lol. 

Still doesn't change the fact that this game is humongous, but that's a separate conversation topic lol.

• Upvote (+1) 5

HOW IS THAT 1.3 GB

I've heard their aiming code module is 3,430 lines of code long.  That particular DLL compiles to about 27 meg.  So there's that contributing to the overall patch size....

Seriously though, I would think their build size on patches would be getting smaller at this point as they further optimize the code base.  If they aren't adding assets and just rebuilding DLL's with a few code tweaks, there should be barely any size change from build to build.  

I think what's happening is they have new assets in the build for upcoming updates that aren't "unlocked yet."  They are present in the build though mostly likely because it is the current working build in their agile development cycle.  (Agile being used very loosely here.... They got some big ole sprints at 343i)  Just my theory as a fellow software dood.