CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

And I agree with that but his post came off as complaining about having to actually git gud as much as it was about how aim assist should be high and bullet magnetism/headshot prioritization non-existent.Most of the problems with the magnum are thanks to heavy aim and halo 5's interesting aiming anyway.

No, there is clearly a limit to what can reasonably be done with additional aim assist. Also, I quite happen to enjoy Halo's headshot prioritization mechanics.

My general thinking is that if aim assist is going to be low (the Magnum's aim assist is not high by any means), than as long as this series remains primarily console based, a simple strafe should be the main way to throw off an opponent's aim, as small aiming adjustments are well within the ability to console players to comfortably do. The thruster pack on the other hand, significantly moves the Spartan, and (importantly) it moves the character way off the opponent's reticle.

It's important to keep in mind that this isn't a negative from a purely competitive point of view, it's just uncomfortable to play against.

The hardest part of aiming a utility weapon in Halo isn't the headshot prioritization (at least for me anyways), it's getting my reticle on them in the first place. Making this just that much harder with the thruster pack I'd argue is just plain bad design. After all, the Magnum has a very low RRR on H5's elongated maps.

Low aim assist can easily work with Spartans that don't jerk around much (see the H3 sniper), but combining low aim assist with evasive mechanics (see the H5 Magnum) does nothing except make for frustrating game play.

Maybe I'm wrong and it really is just H5's shitty aiming shining through. But frankly, I think it has more to do with 343 putting in mechanics that just don't work for console.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Did you play halo CE? Almost no one gets perfect kills in that game.Having a utility weapon that's actually difficult to use adds more strategy,and empowers the individual player.2,3,reach,and 4 can fuck off with their utility weapons.

H3 had lower aim assist than any other Halo besides CE. Yes the hitboxes were a little forgiving and the spread made the outcome of battles a dice roll past mid-range, but the gun itself was pretty hard to use.

No, there is clearly a limit to what can reasonably be done with additional aim assist. Also, I quite happen to enjoy Halo's headshot prioritization mechanics.

My general thinking is that if aim assist is going to be low (the Magnum's aim assist is not high by any means), than as long as this series remains primarily console based, a simple strafe should be the main way to throw off an opponent's aim, as small aiming adjustments are well within the ability to console players to comfortably do. The thruster pack on the other hand, significantly moves the Spartan, and (importantly) it moves the character way off the opponent's reticle.

It's important to keep in mind that this isn't a negative from a purely competitive point of view, it's just uncomfortable to play against.

The hardest part of aiming a utility weapon in Halo isn't the headshot prioritization (at least for me anyways), it's getting my reticle on them in the first place. Making this just that much harder with the thruster pack I'd argue is just plain bad design. After all, the Magnum has a very low RRR on H5's elongated maps.

Low aim assist can easily work with Spartans that don't jerk around much (see the H3 sniper), but combining low aim assist with evasive mechanics (see the H5 Magnum) does nothing except make for frustrating game play.

Maybe I'm wrong and it really is just H5's shitty aiming shining through. But frankly, I think it has more to do with 343 putting in mechanics that just don't work for console.

Like all weapons, the H5 magnum is too easy at close range (besides the cancerous aiming making it artificially harder to kill people), but the RRR is too short, so the gun is almost useless past 40m.

They probably wanted to differentiate the Magnum from the rifles after the beta when they removed the CoD aiming and flich after community requests, so they nerfed the magnum's RRR. Then they realized thruster and sprint make it too hard to kill people up close, so they increased the bullet magnetism to insane levels, but then they realized they over-nerfed the range and changed the aiming to be less "squirelly" at long range and that was how H5 was created.

• Upvote (+1) 4

This has been what I've felt for the longest time. To me, arbitrarily lowering aim assistance to induce a skill gap in a console shooter just hurts the skill floor of said shooter. Ask yourself this: If I take 2 equally skilled players, both with the the same level of aim assistance, will anything improve about the skill ceiling of the game if I just lowered said AA? In my honest opinion as far as console shooters with slow TtK's go, no.

Bullet magnetism can die in a hole, though. That is literally the game aiming for you, and the antithesis of skill based shooting. At least moderate aim assist with no bullet mag forces the player to manipulate said assist, and requires proper aiming skill on top of it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

They probably wanted to differentiate the Magnum from the rifles after the beta when they removed the CoD aiming and flich after community requests, so they nerfed the magnum's RRR. Then they realized thruster and sprint make it too hard to kill people up close, so they increased the bullet magnetism to insane levels, but then they realized they over-nerfed the range and changed the aiming to be less "squirelly" at long range and that was how H5 was created.

I'm almost certain that this is what actually happened. Oh well... better luck next time.

Because it's enjoyable to hit a perfect kill in any Halo game.

But you didn't deserve it...... That's literally the game rewarding people for not being able to aim.It makes, first shot more important depending on how severe it is.

H3 had lower aim assist than any other Halo besides CE. Yes the hitboxes were a little forgiving and the spread made the outcome of battles a dice roll past mid-range, but the gun itself was pretty hard to use.

Like all weapons, the H5 magnum is too easy at close range (besides the cancerous aiming making it artificially harder to kill people), but the RRR is too short, so the gun is almost useless past 40m.

When you say low aim assist do you mean bullet magnetism or sticky reticle?Also the reason I don't like 3 is the random bullet spread.

This has been what I've felt for the longest time. To me, arbitrarily lowering aim assistance to induce a skill gap in a console shooter just hurts the skill floor of said shooter. Ask yourself this: If I take 2 equally skilled players, both with the the same level of aim assistance, will anything improve about the skill ceiling of the game if I just lowered said AA? In my honest opinion as far as console shooters with slow TtK's go, no.

Bullet magnetism can die in a hole, though. That is literally the game aiming for you, and the antithesis of skill based shooting. At least moderate aim assist with no bullet mag forces the player to manipulate said assist, and requires proper aiming skill on top of it.

This is my personal opinion but the beauty of console shooters is the ability to create an aiming experience more difficult than PC shooters are capable of but still feeling good, very few games do it though.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

But you didn't deserve it...... That's literally the game rewarding people for not being able to aim.It makes, first shot more important depending on how severe it is.

Perfect kills in previous Halo games are seldom cases of the game just handing you kills, so I don't see your point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Perfect kills in previous Halo games are seldom cases of the game just handing you kills, so I don't see your point.

Stop strawmanning,and address my point.Headshot prioritization reduces the skillgap.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

When you say low aim assist do you mean bullet magnetism or sticky reticle?Also the reason I don't like 3 is the random bullet spread.

sticky reticle. Bullet mag was definitely there, but not quite to the extent of H2/4/5.

sticky reticle. Bullet mag was definitely there, but not quite to the extent of H2/4/5.

How is the pistol not hard?Even the best(contra) get 4 perfect kills a game,max.Maybe the bullet magnetism is over the top but it doesn't​ really have an effect except when you've just used your thrust.Edit:nvm I just realized how that negatively effects combat.Though I still don't see how the h5 pistol is any worse than the reach dmr or h3 br.

This is my personal opinion but the beauty of console shooters is the ability to create an aiming experience more difficult than PC shooters are capable of but still feeling good, very few games do it though.

That difficulty shouldn't even exist and is exactly why aim assistance was developed for consoles in the first place. The difficulty you're describing is based entirely on the nature of console stick aiming being shitty, which doesn't showcase a players skill to me at all when the very tool they are using to aim is flawed.

When the focus of a player shifts to frustrating controls instead of the game in front of them, that's when a line needs to be drawn.

• Upvote (+1) 6

That difficulty shouldn't even exist and is exactly why aim assistance was developed for consoles in the first place. The difficulty you're describing is based entirely on the nature of console stick aiming being shitty, which doesn't showcase a players skill to me at all when the very tool they are using to aim is flawed.

When the focus of a player shifts to frustrating controls instead of the game in front of them, that's when a line needs to be drawn.

I said if it feels good I don't have a problem with it.If the player is struggling against the controls it obviously doesn't feel decent let alone good.

I think dick prioritization would be better in halo, aim outside the body, you shoot them in the dick, because that's what magnetism is.

a dick

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think dick prioritization would be better in halo, aim outside the body, you shoot them in the dick, because that's what magnetism is.

a dick

Ironically, this actually happens in Halo 2 Vista (or MCC), only in reverse lol. You can BXR someone in the nuts and it will count as a headshot sometimes.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Stop strawmanning,and address my point.Headshot prioritization reduces the skillgap.

Wait what? Requiring people to hit headshots lowers the skill gap? Am I missing something?

Wait what? Requiring people to hit headshots lowers the skill gap? Am I missing something?

Yeah, Headshot prioritization is if your reticle is within a certain distance to the head the bullet prioritizes thr head ,even though the body might be closer.That's how you get headshots when your reticle is on the stomach in some games.

As ripharambe said headshot prioritization means the auto aim will pull body shots towards the head via bullet mag.

Anyone on this site should have read read these two posts on how aim assist works:

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-4304?do=findComment&comment=698707

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/9545-aimus-maximus/

• Upvote (+1) 1

but ur sig is that you'll ar the shit out of me ;_;

With precision the likes of which you've never seen.

That dank 15-bullet perfect kill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

With precision the likes of which you've never seen.

That dank 15-bullet perfect kill.

I never actually knew how many bullets it took for an AR to kill, is it actually 15? That's far too little by the looks of it

Yeah I was confused too, the magnetism pulling it towards the head sounds like it's the issue, not the fact that an actual incentive exists for hitting a player in that region.

CE functions like this, but there's little aim mechanics overall that actually will help you land shots you should have missed. Yes, if you aim slightly higher than normal the bullet will bend down, but if you aren't leading properly either than that bullet will just wiz past them.

I think Shadowrun acheives this to an even greater extent, but there are more factors in regards to controlling the aim.(kick bloom flinch) but you could see it all the time on good streams where players were dead center on a target's body mass, red reticle, with the games auto aim actually helping to maintain that perfect aim over their movement. The problem is you need to lead for movement. I personally enjoy the fact that red reticle does not mean a guaranteed hit. Anyway, Shadowrun is all health, no shields and every weapon has headshot damage, body shot damage, and limb damage. It's incredibly hard to hit headshots and it takes a lot of skill.

I really think these two games did a fantastic job for a console fps that created a game where it's aiming has a skill gap and it's not as much pointing and clicking as it is trying to put your cross hair in the proper place based on these factors. To get back a bit closer to the topic, if you could aim like you could CE style (way above the head) in a game like halo 2 then I can see the issue harambre is talking about

I never actually knew how many bullets it took for an AR to kill, is it actually 15? That's far too little by the looks of it

It varies from game to game.  I think it's more like 13 for the more recent games if I remember right.