CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

really? Id argue it fits right in. It shares that "based on modern weapons but given a kind of retro futuristic twist" thing most of the weapons have.

Assuming you mean CE, then the Covenant weapons do, but the human weapons not so much. I'm probably seeing it from more of a Campaign-centric view than most people on TB, so that story context may matter more for me. For the human weapons, the sniper is the closest thing to the AR visually, but it's still based on the modern green night vision thing and is otherwise as simple and utilitarian-looking as the rest of the weapons. I've always thought the AR looked like a limb that had a knife cut through it to reveal the ammo counter as the "meat". Kind of organic but not explicitly. Also I think the AR earns its ability to be unique by being the main weapon - it can't be a glaring hole in the consistent aesthetic if it's at the heart and core.

But I guess the rest of the game looks somewhat retro-futuristic, like the green Marine visors. Then Halo 2 looked like pure military utilitarianism, then Halo 3 looked more like CE with the Splaser, then Reach looked utilitarian again with the skeletal-looking weapons, then 4 looked futuristic again and now 5 tries to look modern with the rocket redesign. If the pattern continues, then 6 will go for the futuristic weapon look.

• Downvote (-1) 1

But I guess the rest of the game looks somewhat retro-futuristic, like the green Marine visors. Then Halo 2 looked like pure military utilitarianism, then Halo 3 looked more like CE with the Splaser, then Reach looked utilitarian again with the skeletal-looking weapons, then 4 looked futuristic again and now 5 tries to look modern with the rocket redesign. If the pattern continues, then 6 will go for the futuristic weapon look.

How do you take one of the most iconic rocket launchers ever designed and turn it into the most generic looking piece of shit imaginable? I'm still legitimately angry that the decision was even considered.

A redesign with elements like the dual barrels and tube magazine was all they needed to do, but NOOOoOo, scrap it entirely for an average green tube of pure bland was the fucking APPROVED decision. This fucking company, man.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Assuming you mean CE, then the Covenant weapons do, but the human weapons not so much. I'm probably seeing it from more of a Campaign-centric view than most people on TB, so that story context may matter more for me. For the human weapons, the sniper is the closest thing to the AR visually, but it's still based on the modern green night vision thing and is otherwise as simple and utilitarian-looking as the rest of the weapons. I've always thought the AR looked like a limb that had a knife cut through it to reveal the ammo counter as the "meat". Kind of organic but not explicitly. Also I think the AR earns its ability to be unique by being the main weapon - it can't be a glaring hole in the consistent aesthetic if it's at the heart and core.

well if you look at every weapon, they're all outdated in someway, but they combine this with modern colors and materials. The AR has a giant computerized gadget on the top of it rather than an optic. The shotgun is a pump action tube magazine fed type weapon. It also has permanent glowing iron sights. The sniper has a huge computerized scope that looks like it came off of the scope you see on Kyle Reese's laser gun in the first terminator movie. It also looks like it's bolted on to the gun rather than mounted. Must of these guns are pretty smooth as well, they don't even look complex. They don't really suffer from "lines up the ass syndrome."

Thing is though, every human gun except the pistol and is black and grey with colorful lights of some kind. So they look more futuristic than they really are, which is what makes it all retro IMO. The marines share this kind of look. They wear big ass helmets with large metal plates of armor. It looks like bungie took a Vietnam era marine and gave him a bit of a make over. Hell the odsts in halo 2 look like they're wearing flak jackets.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As a New Yorker, pizza should not be giving me cancer. 343 have discovered a way however...

• Upvote (+1) 3

Do not EVER use the Reach AR as an example of good to bad 

The Reach AR is probably the best looking version. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Do not EVER use the Reach AR as an example of good to bad 

While I don't love the look of the Reach AR and was just making a pizza skin joke, going back and watching videos of Reach AR gameplay, the sound alone made it far far better than the Halo 5 one. I do like the look of the classic in-game model of the Halo 5 AR better though. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

While I don't love the look of the Reach AR and was just making a pizza skin joke, going back and watching videos of Reach AR gameplay, the sound alone made it far far better than the Halo 5 one. I do like the look of the classic in-game model of the Halo 5 AR better though.

I like the reach one better, although the h5 ar looks good. It's one of the better looking guns in any of the 343 games.

Apart from the weird scope face on the Halo 5 Sniper, it doesn't look too bad tbh.

But the scope is the majority of what you see, and the part that's going to draw your eye the most.

The whole thing looks dumb to me though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The color of the metal is probably what I despise most about 343i's UNSC weapons so even without the scope change that'd still be a massive improvement for me.  The completely sterile, shiny surfaces that are way too bright to look like typical Halo weapons but still not quite bright enough to fall into nickel finish territory.

Then there's how the gun models themselves look like someone took a hunk of metal and chiseled a bunch of jagged edges into it in an effort to imitate the Forerunner architecture around them.

• Upvote (+1) 6

That fucking toaster attachment on the sniper triggers me every time. Why on earth would you cut the iconic green nigjt vision scope for that cancer.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The color of the metal is probably what I despise most about 343i's UNSC weapons so even without the scope change that'd still be a massive improvement for me.  The completely sterile, shiny surfaces that are way too bright to look like typical Halo weapons but still not quite bright enough to fall into nickel finish territory.

Then there's how the gun models themselves look like someone took a hunk of metal and chiseled a bunch of jagged edges into it in an effort to imitate the Forerunner architecture around them.

we kinda need more blackness on rifles in my opinion

Can't disagree with you here friendo

• Upvote (+1) 1

The H5 Magnum is by far the most frustrating utility weapon Halo has ever had.

The RRR is stupidly short, and tbh it seems that 343 forgot that they were developing a console shooter when making this decision. While it doesn't negatively affect tournament play (if anything, it increases the skill gap), for everyone else, it just makes the game way harder to play.

I've never had difficultly with using utility weapons in their intended range in older Halo games; but combined with the larger maps due to sprint, and the evasive mechanics given to every player, and it quickly becomes stupidly difficult to consistently hit shots. Older Halo games focused less on aiming proficiency (though still important), and made more of focus on coordination, tactical play, and weapon/map control. Giving everyone a utility like the H5 Magnum feels like an experiment in seeing who can best overcome the striking deficiencies of console aiming.

The point of aim assist is to make players forget that they're using an inferior platform for shooter aiming, instead, 343 choose to make those deficiencies the center piece of competitive play, sapping any enjoyment I might have otherwise had playing the competitive settings. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The H5 Magnum is by far the most frustrating utility weapon Halo has ever had.

The RRR is stupidly short, and tbh it seems that 343 forgot that they were developing a console shooter when making this decision. While it doesn't negatively affect tournament play (if anything, it increases the skill gap), for everyone else, it just makes the game way harder to play.

I've never had difficultly with using utility weapons in their intended range in older Halo games; but combined with the larger maps due to sprint, and the evasive mechanics given to every player, and it quickly becomes stupidly difficult to consistently hit shots. Older Halo games focused less on aiming proficiency (though still important), and made more of focus on coordination, tactical play, and weapon/map control. Giving everyone a utility like the H5 Magnum feels like an experiment in seeing who can best overcome the striking deficiencies of console aiming.

The point of aim assist is to make players forget that they're using an inferior platform for shooter aiming, instead, 343 choose to make those deficiencies the center piece of competitive play, sapping any enjoyment I might have otherwise had playing the competitive settings.

Did you play halo CE? Almost no one gets perfect kills in that game.Having a utility weapon that's actually difficult to use adds more strategy,and empowers the individual player.2,3,reach,and 4 can fuck off with their utility weapons.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Did you play halo CE? Almost no one gets perfect kills in that game.Having a utility weapon that's actually difficult to use adds more strategy,and empowers the individual player.2,3,reach,and 4 can fuck off with their utility weapons.

Leading your shots is much more skillful than fighting a controller though.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Leading your shots is much more skillful than fighting a controller though.

And I agree with that but his post came off as complaining about having to actually git gud as much as it was about how aim assist should be high and bullet magnetism/headshot prioritization non-existent.Most of the problems with the magnum are thanks to heavy aim and halo 5's interesting aiming anyway.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Gonna keep posting this.

I literally just realized the H5 sniper scope is put off to the side. The left side is parallel with the body's left side.

I guess in the design process 343 had a version that looked like the DMR and couldn't decide whether to use that or the scope with a screen, so they used both. LOL.

YKCqwXc.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1