CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Wow, so they will either rush out a product in fall 2018 that did not exist in any shape or form as of June 2017. (e.g. Halo 6: Champions)

... or we are stuck with H5 until 2019. Without any sort of expansion that would make use of the otherwise pointless Guardians attached to H5 (because that would have been announced at E3). Four years of a game that has used the exact same three game types and mediocre pool of maps on the circuit up until now.

That's 343 Halo for you.

At least the 28 people still playing Halo Wars 2 will enjoy the Campaign DLC.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Is the damn TV show happening or not

Presumably they're waiting until they put out a respectable Halo game. They're not as self-unaware as most of this forum believes.

Oh okay so you have a better way to judge population? No? Then don't complain.

Here's what we know about the most played list. It updates VERY frequently, and is region based. There we go. We can compare Halos exact population to other games above it with their population counters.

Actually, we did at one point before the guy running this stuff stopped doing it each season.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/44bdmq/halo_5_how_good_are_you_really_end_of_jan_2016/

This was a significantly more reliable, qualitative AND simultaneously quantitative approach to discussing population. He did several of these btw, not just the January 2016 season.

Updating very frequently and factoring in region are two VERY small pieces of the puzzle if you're using "data" (and I'm using that word VERY loosely) that you don't even understand to determine Halo population. If you don't know how it works or can't explain it thoroughly, then don't use it. If you tried this same argument in a meeting with Microsoft Execs, you'd get laughed out of the room, even though your argument isn't wrong in any way.

There's having an argument that makes sense and backing it up with actual quantitative evidence that is bulletproof and then there's whatever the fuck people are grasping at to fit their narrative because they're too lazy to give a shit.

If you care about the future of Halo, then you make an effort to provide thorough and in-depth justifications to your argument. Not whatever the fuck the "Most Played" list is.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

yeah, this TV is totally still going to happen, I guess it will air the same week as the live-action Star Wars TV series...

Anyway, I guess we'll have to wait for 2019, if not 2020 to get the next shot at a decent Halo game...I just don't understand why MS doesn't hire some 3rd party studio to come up with some spin-off...

Look man. No matter how you try to spin this you look ridiculous. I don't care about the exact number next to each playlist, what I care about is Halos place in the industry. And no matter how broken you think the Most Played list is (which you have no reason to believe by the way) you're suggesting that somehow the list is broken to skew against Halo. Do you think if we had raw population count that Halo 5 wouldn't be at #34 but instead number #2 or #3? No of course not, because it's not popular.

Totally anecdotal here but does anyone here know any real life friends that actually play Halo 5 for fun because I know of like 1

I'm not "spinning" anything. I never said your argument was wrong. I dislike the fact that there is NO ONE in this community airing this argument that actually uses good data to back that argument up.

I stated that the Most Played list is unreliable because we have no idea how it functions. If you're making a statement on Halos population, and using that as a main reference, then you're just grasping at straws. Just because it agrees with your narrative, doesn't mean it's a good bolster for your point. 

I have good reason to be skeptical of Most Played because, again, no one knows how it works, what it measures, and what populations these games actually have. The last semi-decent system we had to base off of was Star Wars Battlefront, which had a site tracking it's population (based on what I don't recall, concurrent?). Using that value, we could then logically infer that if Star Wars BF was above Halo on Most Played, then Halo could have a lower online population than Star Wars BF at that point in time. Turns out the creator of the site came out and said it wasn't accurate. 

People take my posts as me defending Halo 5, but I don't really do that. I'm not at war with classic Halo, I'm at war with the lazy and scrubby hardcore community that this franchise has taken on over the years. Take it as you will at that point.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 7

I'm not at war with classic Halo, I'm at war with the lazy and scrubby hardcore community that this franchise has taken on over the years.

Wow...
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not "spinning" anything. I never said your argument was wrong. I dislike the fact that there is NO ONE in this community airing this argument that actually uses good data to back that argument up.

I stated that the Most Played list is unreliable because we have no idea how it functions. If you're making a statement on Halos population, and using that as a main reference, then you're just grasping at straws. Just because it agrees with your narrative, doesn't mean it's a good bolster for your point. 

A most played list means the game that is either 1) Most heavily populated or 2) Most launched (I doubt it's most launched because MCC would've been at the top for a long time), or 3) Most time played.

I have good reason to be skeptical of Most Played because, again, no one knows how it works, what it measures, and what populations these games actually have. The last semi-decent system we had to base off of was Star Wars Battlefront, which had a site tracking it's population (based on what I don't recall, concurrent?). Using that value, we could then logically infer that if Star Wars BF was above Halo on Most Played, then Halo could have a lower online population than Star Wars BF at that point in time. Turns out the creator of the sight came out and said it wasn't accurate. 

People take my posts as me defending Halo 5, but I don't really do that. I'm not at war with classic Halo, I'm at war with the lazy and scrubby hardcore community that this franchise has taken on over the years. Take it as you will at that point.

You mean you're at war with the players that, despite the generally low levels of enjoyment, have continued to keep the game afloat while the player retention is at an all time low?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not at war with classic Halo, I'm at war with the lazy and scrubby hardcore community that this franchise has taken on over the years. Take it as you will at that point.

This made me laugh a little too uncomfortably hard.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This made me laugh a little too uncomfortably hard.

It was funny. I think Dev let his 8th grade little brother come up with a way to finish the post

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm curious as to what he means by that. If I had to assume what the lazy scrubby hardcore community consists of, it would be the ones who don't do anything, literally, outside of play the most recent game and post constantly about how much it sucks. To each their own, but thats what I think of.

That exists in plenty of other games but regardless of the game I consider these people to be the least important part of any gaming community.

I'm curious as to what he means by that. If I had to assume what the lazy scrubby hardcore community consists of, it would be the ones who don't do anything, literally, outside of play the most recent game and post constantly about how much it sucks. To each their own, but thats what I think of.

That exists in plenty of other games but regardless of the game I consider these people to be the least important part of any gaming community.

Given that he has more or less defended H5 as a competitive game I would throw him in with the "play the most recent game" crowd.

• Upvote (+1) 2

... or we are stuck with H5 until 2019. Without any sort of expansion that would make use of the otherwise pointless ":Guardians" subtitle attached to H5 (because that would have been announced at E3). Four years of a game that has used the exact same three game types and mediocre pool of maps on the circuit up until now.

The game already feels like it's been out for four years. I couldn't take another two and half years of bare minimum updates if it is 2019. BF2 will most likely get my attention if that happens.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's pretty much it actually.

Given that he has more or less defended H5 as a competitive game I would throw him in with the "play the most recent game" crowd.

That doesn't seem like a logical step. By the way, my "defending" of H5 as a competitive game boils down to me pointing out the absurd scrub complaints that people come up with for not being as good at a game as they think they should be.

I tried to get into CE with the help of Teapot, but the only training platform around was MCC and we know how that is. Lost interest after I realized how much of a colossal waste of time it would be to learn CE through MCC. XLan is the next possibility, but I'm not really interested in getting knee-deep in a new comp game at the moment.

• Downvote (-1) 1

That's pretty much it actually.

That doesn't seem like a logical step. By the way, my "defending" of H5 as a competitive game boils down to me pointing out the absurd scrub complaints that people come up with for not being as good at a game as they think they should be.

I tried to get into CE with the help of Teapot, but the only training platform around was MCC and we know how that is. Lost interest after I realized how much of a colossal waste of time it would be to learn CE through MCC. XLan is the next possibility, but I'm not really interested in getting knee-deep in a new comp game at the moment.

You did just get into arguments over people saying that Halos population was abysmal but hey, that's just people getting mad over nothing.

The most significant complaints I see are the aiming, the bad connection to the servers, no party restrictions. Those three things are arguably outside of a players skill. The aiming, which was literally confirmed to be broken was defended by people. The game has god awful connection leading to a lot of eaten shots, but I should stop being a scrub and land more shots? If I solo queue I match teams, or I get people who seemingly don't understand how to play the game at all. But I should carry harder in a team shot based shooter. The 'git gud' part of this game isn't the thing people are complaining about the majority of the time I read this thread.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Beyond good and evil 2, hyped as fuck and a developer that comes out crying at the reaction, amazing.

Totally anecdotal here but does anyone here know any real life friends that actually play Halo 5 for fun because I know of like 1

Thanks for the mention buddy

There's a bit more to it than that so I should have clarified. It mostly has to do with the whole scrub mentality article which I do feel like I can relate to certain topics. Like the claim that movement options creates complete randomness in map movement.

In regards to "play the most recent game" crowd, I could probably put someone like Cookies4you into that group but I would hardly consider him as part of the "lazy scrubby hardcore community". The same goes for Dev in my opinion. Basically anyone that makes an attempt to learn about game mechanics in depth or get frame data and stuff could be considered an asset regardless if the techniques they're studying would be considered deep or not. It's like CT's old ass videos that detailed the bullet magnetism between CE and 2. Stuff like that I can always appreciate so I always hated seeing Cookies4you get shit on here for what he was doing when in reality I wish we had more members in the community who want to do shit like that.

I think overall, I would consider the Halo community as a whole "lazy". There's plenty of factors that do prevent us from really being able to expand at a grass roots level, but the effort I see from various parties seem like the bare minimum. Sure, not everyone can afford to throw a LAN or a tournament or start expanding various scenes, but I see such little effort. Even the H2 guys as dedicated as they were could not grow or get anything together. It was nice to have Howies gaming Shack and the EsportsArena event. Hopefully some of the older games can get a bit more activity with this whole backwards compatible emulator.  Even though the CE guys are incredibly dedicated, that's mostly in terms of physically playing the game. I'd say they are incredibly lazy in terms of bettering their own scene.

Like I said though there is pretty much a group like this in any game I play. I'm currently playing OW with a bunch of real life friends that all embody the scrub mentality.

Just as anecdotal and totally not representative but I haven't even met anyone still intersted in Halo in real life since Reach...

Usual conversation when I ask someone about Halo ends with something like "yeah, I've played the older ones, they were fun but new newer ones kinda sucked"...

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was funny. I think Dev let his 8th grade little brother come up with a way to finish the post

It's not even that, it's like, I can get being passionate about something, but pseudo declaring war (even if figuratively) on a group of forum posters seems like a fucking big step.

You did just get into arguments over people saying that Halos population was abysmal but hey, that's just people getting mad over nothing.

The most significant complaints I see are the aiming, the bad connection to the servers, no party restrictions. Those three things are arguably outside of a players skill. The aiming, which was literally confirmed to be broken was defended by people. The game has god awful connection leading to a lot of eaten shots, but I should stop being a scrub and land more shots? If I solo queue I match teams, or I get people who seemingly don't understand how to play the game at all. But I should carry harder in a team shot based shooter. The 'git gud' part of this game isn't the thing people are complaining about the majority of the time I read this thread.

But agree here. A lot of the complaints I see now are things that are generally outside of player control. The aiming being the legitimate worst of them all. Still can't believe they somehow broke the most basic part of the game, and didn't "fix it" for nearly two years.

• Upvote (+1) 1