CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

HELL fucking no. Halo 1 and 2's aiming is absolute aged crap compared to 3, Reach, and 4

What the hell version of Halo 3 did you play? CE and 2's aiming system are light years better than Halo 3 and Reach. You could make a case for Halo 4, but compared to the first two, I'm going to have to go with those.

Reach's was better than 3, but wasn't better than the first two.

Edit: And just for clarification, I liked Halo 3. There were things about it that I hated, but overall I can thoroughly say I enjoyed the game. But let's be objective here dude.. Lol.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@MATCLAN

Kingnick brought up an interesting point about the shooting and aiming in h1 to me that makes it feel so...weird up close. Could be related to the 180 glitch. As you're snapping your reticle around shit just doesnt line up with your view so theres drag on the shots

Its so differerent than PC and MCC its not even funny, more pronounced on higher ping xlan as well

I remember a thread or a long post about this from a couple years ago, by Cujjer or maybe Sitri. It included a video test where the player spun around while shooting, and the bullet marks on the walls didn't line up. I wonder if this is caused by player rotation (what helps determine bullet direction) being a synced to the host box while onscreen look is on the client independently. There may also be some bumping that occurs when an enemy player is present in the aiming cone to correct for this disparity.

I think the thread was talking about why Halo CE on MCC would not be as skillful as OG because the 180 glitch was fixed on the PC port, and the user was arguing that the 180 glitch was the cause of H1's unique momentum leading (which we know is not the case, at least not in full).

In no way is the h1 sniper harder than h3. I really don't see where people have difficulty with the h1 snipe. The leading wasnt that hard

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

In no way is the h1 sniper harder than h3. I really don't see where people have difficulty with the h1 snipe. The leading was that hard

you have to lead more in h1 though. wtf are u smoking.

You don't even have to lead on the h3 mlg maps as they're that small, even narrows, you only had to lead on maps like sandtrap. And in comparison, for maps like sidewinder and blood gulch, you had to lead by spartan lengths. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

you have to lead more in h1 though. wtf are u smoking.

You don't even have to lead on the h3 mlg maps as they're that small, even narrows, you only had to lead on maps like sandtrap. And in comparison, for maps like sidewinder and blood gulch, you had to lead by spartan lengths.

I meant wasn't that hard. I don't think the leading was that hard. It was still easier to swipe snipe in h1 than h3.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Can you enlightened folks refresh my aging memory on somethings. I was catching up on this threads and some things popped up in my head.

Halo Aiming: i maybe be wrong, but i feel like ever since h2 I often find myself fighting the reticle because the aim-assist felt I should prioritize someone other than what I'm trying to shoot. I don't remember having that problem in CE. That said, I remember CE feeling pretty easy to stay on target. Why did it feel so smooth even though i Was new to dual analog? Was the lack of aim-assist replaced with higher magnetism?

Spawn system: also since halo 2, I found it pretty easy to know exactly where the enemy will most likely spawn. I didn't play nearly as much 4v4 in CE, so i never got to familiar with how spawns. Specifically, what were the differences?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

In no way is the h1 sniper harder than h3. I really don't see where people have difficulty with the h1 snipe. The leading wasnt that hard

I think in a vacuum the H3 sniper is harder to use not necessarily because it's harder to hit shots but because of the recoil and low fire rate which punishes you for missing the headshot and makes it harder to just double tap the body. Within the sandbox of their respective games the CE sniper is harder because you have to use it while being contested by the magnum instead of the airsoft gun that is the H3 BR.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can you enlightened folks refresh my aging memory on somethings. I was catching up on this threads and some things popped up in my head.

Halo Aiming: i maybe be wrong, but i feel like ever since h2 I often find myself fighting the reticle because the aim-assist felt I should prioritize someone other than what I'm trying to shoot. I don't remember having that problem in CE. That said, I remember CE feeling pretty easy to stay on target. Why did it feel so smooth even though i Was new to dual analog? Was the lack of aim-assist replaced with higher magnetism?

Spawn system: also since halo 2, I found it pretty easy to know exactly where the enemy will most likely spawn. I didn't play nearly as much 4v4 in CE, so i never got to familiar with how spawns. Specifically, what were the differences?

The CE 4v4 spawn system works just like its 2v2 system which means it doesn't really work at all. It completely falls apart in 4v4 which is why CE is only played 2v2 competitively.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So how did the CE spawn system differ from subsequent titles?

http://halospawns.com

The site above can explain it better than I ever could. That being said the spawn system in 2v2 CE is what makes it so fun at a high level. Manipulating the spawn system is a large part of the meta in CE.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It was still easier to swipe snipe in h1 than h3.

Swipe snipe? Lol 

So how did the CE spawn system differ from subsequent titles?

To get a better understanding of how Halo 1's spawn system functions I highly recommend reading this informative Halo 1 thread and using this informative Halo 1 website.

As for how Halo 1's aim assist system functions I highly recommend reading this informative Halo 1 post.

• Upvote (+1) 3

http://halospawns.com

The site above can explain it better than I ever could. That being said the spawn system in 2v2 CE is what makes it so fun at a high level. Manipulating the spawn system is a large part of the meta in CE.

Ah ok that's pretty badass.

• Upvote (+1) 1

it's just as bad in halo1 for aim tracking, it's just theres barely any situations where u want to push touching butts since rockets and nades will fuck you unlike in h3/2 (i mean rockets will stuck fuck you on those games but they're slightly weaker/slower and don't appear on most maps or spawn every 3 minutes except creek h2), you will push through the same corridor at the same time. If you play 4v4 wizard, it will happen a lot when you spawn kill the enemy as theres plenty of spawns behind the other. 

For spawn system... That's because halo1 is truly random unless your teammate is up and the other halos try to give you a safe spawn. So if you get 4 dead on guardian killing them at green and ur teammates are at gold+snipe, they have to spawn at blue (sometimes will spawn under gold 1 and if u chuck nades at gold 1 it feels like they will 100% spawn blue. Where as if you stick the halo 1 spawn system in on guardian, they could spawn back at green, snipe, gold, anywhere. The equation is literally (available spawns in 1 general location)/(#total spawns)*99% for them to spawn in a general location. However, the flip side to this is if you leave 1 person alive in ce, their teammates have like a 99.5% chance to spawn next to them unless there are no available spawns next to him. Playing 2 sided objective in any of the halo games play relatively the same as the spawns are tied to a base. The only difference is lets say you're playing pit flag, you kill 3 out of the 4 halo3 spartans in shotgun then pull the flag, the 3 will spawn at sniper. However if you stick halo ce spartans, they would spawn back in shotgun. 

and then 1 relatively random fact: If a team blocks every single spawn point in halo ce, you will not be able to spawn where as in halo3+ they will give you a random spawn. This can be achieved by using vehicles and your own body to block spawns. There was a demonstration video of people doing this on Blood gulch but i can't find it.

Saw another comment. I don't think the spawn system for 4v4 in ce is necessarily bad. It works well for some maps with a specific gametype. Wizard slayer 4v4 is bad, I also don't like 4v4 ctf on wizard. It's just complete spawn fucking until the other team runs out of ammo or misses a lot of shots. But 4v4 chilly oddball, 4v4 priz slayer, 4v4 creek ctf. I don't think 4v4 ctf dere works well, but it is fun to play. The ce spawn system wouldn't work well in other halos since the kill times are so slow. If a player spawns in front of you in ce, you can kill him before he can shoot you. so if you were playing pit, you'd have to kill all 4 really fast so you could even go into the flag room and pull the flag.

4v4s in ce just feel more braindead. because of the design of the maps, teamshooting is always possible and you die so fast. It's literally spawn and die over and over for 5mins (if playing to 50). It doesn't really feel like you're out playing your opponent, it feels like you're just out teamshooting them which is less rewarding. it also takes 8 people to play instead of 4. that's why 4v4 isn't really played that often. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Swipe snipe? Lol 

he did say the h3 sniper, but still its easier than ce's. You'd almost never be able to snipe someone out of a mancannon with the ce sniper on narrows because yanking it doesnt work. You can quick scope with it like h3's, but you can't just turn 90+ degrees and whip it across someone's face in ce. And this is assuming scope. You also basically can't no scope with the sniper in ce

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There was a guy who made a post on here that I can't currently find so I'll summarize it.Halo CE actually had the most aim assist in the series but it had janky,low bullet magnetism especially around the head ,and it didn't have headshot prioritization.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There was a guy who made a post on here that I can't currently find so I'll summarize it.Halo CE actually had the most aim assist in the series but it had janky,low bullet magnetism especially around the head ,and it didn't have headshot prioritization.

It had the most aim assist, except for the sniper/rockets. 

It also has a ton of bullet mag on the pistol, more than 2-3 depending on the situation. Though, janky is a decent way to describe it. on the rockets and snipe and pr, way less than 2. Relatively the same as h3. I don't remember if rockets in h3 curved like they do in h2, but they dont curve at all in h1.  

No headshot prioritization (that's halo2+4+5 i believe?) either.

The aim assist was needed because the ce spartans strafe faster. It's near impossible to glue your reticule to someone close range, especially since you need to lead so you are constantly going from his left to right side (offhost)

The high bullet magnetism is needed on the pistol since you can move 1-3 spartan lengths before the bullet can even reach them. So essentially 0-6 head lengths. As opposed to the h3 br which is like 1 head length lead on lan, and i *believe* the h3 br bullets land based on calculated hit (so if hes walking right and you lead right as you fire, you hit him, but if he goes left as soon as the bullet leaves your gun, you'll still hit him, but in ce this would be a miss.)

it's just as bad in halo1 for aim tracking, it's just theres barely any situations where u want to push touching butts since rockets and nades will fuck you unlike in h3/2 (i mean rockets will stuck fuck you on those games but they're slightly weaker/slower and don't appear on most maps or spawn every 3 minutes except creek h2), you will push through the same corridor at the same time. If you play 4v4 wizard, it will happen a lot when you spawn kill the enemy as theres plenty of spawns behind the other.

For spawn system... That's because halo1 is truly random unless your teammate is up and the other halos try to give you a safe spawn. So if you get 4 dead on guardian killing them at green and ur teammates are at gold+snipe, they have to spawn at blue (sometimes will spawn under gold 1 and if u chuck nades at gold 1 it feels like they will 100% spawn blue. Where as if you stick the halo 1 spawn system in on guardian, they could spawn back at green, snipe, gold, anywhere. The equation is literally (available spawns in 1 general location)/(#total spawns)*99% for them to spawn in a general location. However, the flip side to this is if you leave 1 person alive in ce, their teammates have like a 99.5% chance to spawn next to them unless there are no available spawns next to him. Playing 2 sided objective in any of the halo games play relatively the same as the spawns are tied to a base. The only difference is lets say you're playing pit flag, you kill 3 out of the 4 halo3 spartans in shotgun then pull the flag, the 3 will spawn at sniper. However if you stick halo ce spartans, they would spawn back in shotgun.

and then 1 relatively random fact: If a team blocks every single spawn point in halo ce, you will not be able to spawn where as in halo3+ they will give you a random spawn. This can be achieved by using vehicles and your own body to block spawns. There was a demonstration video of people doing this on Blood gulch but i can't find it.

Saw another comment. I don't think the spawn system for 4v4 in ce is necessarily bad. It works well for some maps with a specific gametype. Wizard slayer 4v4 is bad, I also don't like 4v4 ctf on wizard. It's just complete spawn fucking until the other team runs out of ammo or misses a lot of shots. But 4v4 chilly oddball, 4v4 priz slayer, 4v4 creek ctf. I don't think 4v4 ctf dere works well, but it is fun to play. The ce spawn system wouldn't work well in other halos since the kill times are so slow. If a player spawns in front of you in ce, you can kill him before he can shoot you. so if you were playing pit, you'd have to kill all 4 really fast so you could even go into the flag room and pull the flag.

4v4s in ce just feel more braindead. because of the design of the maps, teamshooting is always possible and you die so fast. It's literally spawn and die over and over for 5mins (if playing to 50). It doesn't really feel like you're out playing your opponent, it feels like you're just out teamshooting them which is less rewarding. it also takes 8 people to play instead of 4. that's why 4v4 isn't really played that often.

4's in CE is underrated. I have more 4's experience on LAN than I do 2's. Yes, the spawn system will always try to spawn you with your teammates, which can lead to some brutal traps at rocket wall on Chilly or Red Shotgun on Hang Em. But once your team understands that they need to spread out and random on last man standing, it's not that bad. If your team KNOWS that spreading out is important, a spawn trap feels earned at that point.

I think a 4v4 spawn system that always tries to spawn you equidistant from all of your teammates has merit, especially if you can get a random if one of your teammates is on a clearly defined (and vulnerable) random spawn.

• Upvote (+1) 2

HELL fucking no. Halo 1 and 2's aiming is absolute aged crap compared to 3, Reach, and 4

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is objectively wrong. Sorry.

Halo 3 is actually one of the WORST games of the Halo series in terms of input latency (which is a major factor in aiming).

Input latency

• Halo 1: Master Chief Collection 84ms
  • Halo 2: Master Chief Collection 84ms
  • Halo 3: Master Chief Collection 106ms
  • Halo 4: Master Chief Collection 93ms

Source:

https://displaylag.com/console-latency-exploring-video-game-input-lag/

NOTE: While these were taken from the Master Chief Collection, Halo 3 on the original Xbox also had high input latency. Feel free to test it yourself.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Except the part where you've got people able to kill you in less than a second with the Halo 1 pistol as opposed to the garbage Halo 3 BR which could barely shoot further than 20 metres and took an eternity to kill you coupled with the slow as fuck movement speed which made strafing useless...

The leading wasn't the hard part, the hard part was lining up a target in a split second without dying to a TSK.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If 343 hadn't managed to completely butcher their excellent H4/H2A aiming system in time for H5, H3 would have the worst aiming in the series by a decent margin. I have no idea how some people are under the impression that it's good. It's god-awful, to the point that I play H3 MCC on 2 sens while playing every other game in the collection at 4.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Except the part where you've got people able to kill you in less than a second with the Halo 1 pistol as opposed to the garbage Halo 3 BR which could barely shoot further than 20 metres and took an eternity to kill you coupled with the slow as fuck movement speed which made strafing useless...

The leading wasn't the hard part, the hard part was lining up a target in a split second without dying to a TSK.

That has nothing to do with the difficulty of the weapon. You might as well say the h1 shotty takes more skill.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That has nothing to do with the difficulty of the weapon. You might as well say the h1 shotty takes more skill.

LOL a weapon relative to its sandbox doesn't matter? Okay.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You might as well say the h1 shotty takes more skill.

It does? Lol. Looking at weapons in a vacuum doesn't tell you how hard to use they are.

Trying to shoot a fusion coil beside someone and the mind numbing combination of the reticle being glued to the enemy along with any shots you get on the fusion coil being warped towards that enemy...

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1