CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I personally prefer the novelty of it being a powerful handcannon to being a generic rifle.  The way it's explained away (big, explosive rounds) is also fairly unique and interesting.  I mean I find that far more immersive but no one's immersion except for that of Halo 4 kids matters so whatever I guess.

But it's so low on my list of priorities, just go with whatever will stop the stupid realism arguments so long as I get my strong weapon back.  On that note you might as well reskin the AR to be a dinky auto-pistol as well so I don't have to listen to "but my Assault RIFLE doe" arguments either.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No one has ever complained that the hand cannons in Destiny kill too fast for what they are because there's actual proper feedback on them. They bounce and make loud menacing noises and sound beefy and look beefy. Maybe 343 shouldn't have made the pistol look and sound like a gigantic fucking pussy gun.

They tend to make almost every gun sound like a "gigantic fucking pussy gun" really just listen to the H2 BR next to like anything. I feel like they don't get how the bass makes people feel sometimes. I'm not even sure if bass is the best way to describe it.

A good video to compare to though and listening to the H2 BR they made for H5 makes me feel like they understand the difference they just choose to ignore it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They tend to make almost every gun sound like a "gigantic fucking pussy gun" really just listen to the H2 BR next to like anything. I feel like they don't get how the bass makes people feel sometimes. I'm not even sure if bass is the best way to describe it.

A good video to compare to though and listening to the H2 BR they made for H5 makes me feel like they understand the difference they just choose to ignore it.

Why is the H2BR and H5 H2BR literally bursting my ear drums in this video?

I personally prefer the novelty of it being a powerful handcannon to being a generic rifle. The way it's explained away (big, explosive rounds) is also fairly unique and interesting. I mean I find that far more immersive but no one's immersion except for that of Halo 4 kids matters so whatever I guess.

But it's so low on my list of priorities, just go with whatever will stop the stupid realism arguments so long as I get my strong weapon back. On that note you might as well reskin the AR to be a dinky auto-pistol as well so I don't have to listen to "but my Assault RIFLE doe" arguments either.

I always used a hand cannon in Destiny and my favorite character in OW is McCree. I have a thing for revolvers but I know not everybody feels the same way. Personally I can care less what it looks like but if making the utility weapon a rifle is what keeps the waypoint kids happy then so be it. I just want a utility weapon that is actually hard to use but can kill quickly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Idk whatever the guy used to record with wasn't really that great but it does a good job of showing the differences lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FDvNrpMcQw

Is it just me or does 343s melee animations look really weird?

I always used a hand cannon in Destiny and my favorite character in OW is McCree. I have a thing for revolvers but I know not everybody feels the same way. Personally I can care less what it looks like but if making the utility weapon a rifle is what keeps the waypoint kids happy then so be it. I just want a utility weapon that is actually hard to use but can kill quickly.

I believe revolvers wouldn't really feel coherent with the UNSC art style though but I've been thinking about using a Mauser-style pistol design.

Designers could "use" a longer, bulkier round that the player can actaully see beeing loaded rather then just a magazine that needs to be small enough to fit into pistol grip, add a beefy sound and people should stop playing the "It's just a tiny sidearm"- card...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FDvNrpMcQw

All of Bungies utility weapons sounded amazing, and more importantly recognizable and unique. You could hear them a million times (and you did) and never get sick of them. Perfect amount of low middle and high end.

Halo 5s pistol sounds like someone breaking a beer bottle on my head.

• Upvote (+1) 5

All of Bungies utility weapons sounded amazing, and more importantly recognizable and unique. You could hear them a million times (and you did) and never get sick of them. Perfect amount of low middle and high end.

Halo 5s pistol sounds like someone breaking a beer bottle on my head.

At least it sounds better than the Halo 4 Magnum, whatever the fuck that was trying to sound like. (Al thought that's not saying much, but a bottle over the head sound better)

Listen to the H2A Magnum. That Sounds nice. Why didn't they use something like that instead of the current H5 Magnum.

>Lowkey hates and will always hate H2/3's BR audio.

I think the CE Magnum sounded godly. Always did. As did the DMR for Reach. But holy fuck. The H2/H3 BRs take the cake for sounding like giant pussy guns. It reminds me of distant H5 Magnum shots. The sound tics at my brain and irrationally aggravates me with how annoyingly weak it sounds. Won't lie. I always get sick of them. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

>Lowkey hates and will always hate H2/3's BR audio.

I think the CE Magnum sounded godly. Always did. As did the DMR for Reach. But holy fuck. The H2/H3 BRs take the cake for sounding like giant pussy guns. It reminds me of distant H5 Magnum shots. The sound tics at my brain and irrationally aggravates me with how annoyingly weak it sounds. Won't lie. I always get sick of them.

You're joking right. The H2 BR is like the meatiest sounding gun in the Halo franchise, probably one of the most menacing rifle sounds I've ever heard in a video game. I LUV IT

Halo 3 loses some of the low end in favor of more mid range and some detail but it's well rounded enough that it sounds soothing but sharp. Love them both.

• Upvote (+1) 5

H2a had great sounds. The Magnum there is my favorite. Although I don't really like how thumping the sniper was.

Anyone know how to have a custom game show up on the browser? I tried having it open to all players but it didn't list it

He was probably clipping his capture card audio input while recording those clips. Doesn't help that 343's games are fucking loud. I have to turn down my monitors drastically whenever a H5 DVR clip is posted in this thread lol.

On another note, I agree with the above statements. H2 BR is just godly, I could listen to that for hours. H3's BR is still decent, but a clear step in the wrong direction. H5's and especially H4's BR are laughably bad though.

They should just let Certain Affinity handle the weapon sounds, they nailed CEA and H2A's (campaign that is) audio IMO.

https://youtu.be/OxPmPLouRT4?t=117

https://youtu.be/Ni9D7lxyG3Q?t=23

I know a lot of people were upset with CEA's weapon sounds, but to me they hit the sweet spot of "modern" a.k.a. loud, bassy and beefy tones while still being faithful to the original.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're joking right. The H2 BR is like the meatiest sounding gun in the Halo franchise, probably one of the most menacing rifle sounds I've ever heard in a video game. I LUV IT

Halo 3 loses some of the low end in favor of more mid range and some detail but it's well rounded enough that it sounds soothing but sharp. Love them both.

MENACING? ROFL. I actually laughed at that. It's like calling a Saltopus menacing. The thing sounds I'm blowing bubbles and editing the sound clip through audacity. I could get liking it, but meatiest? How. The thing lacks any impact.

You're right with soothing for Halo 3. As in, it soothes me right to sleep with how un-intimidating it is. Or, well, it would be soothing me to sleep had I not been triggered (Ha, get it. It's a gun pun.) by how it sounded at a base.

• Upvote (+1) 1

MENACING? ROFL. I actually laughed at that. It's like calling a Saltopus menacing. The thing sounds I'm blowing bubbles and editing the sound clip through audacity. I could get liking it, but meatiest? How. The thing lacks any impact.

You're right with soothing for Halo 3. As in, it soothes me right to sleep with how un-intimidating it is. Or, well, it would be soothing me to sleep had I not been triggered (Ha, get it. It's a gun pun.) by how it sounded at a base.

You must be listening to these things through some ipod headphones because the H2 br has a ton of bass and enough sharp detail in there. Its always sounded meaty to me, it's one of the things I always appreciate in H2, the br just sounds powerful to shoot.

H3 br is in line with the rest of the audio in H3, which yes I would describe as soothing and well mixed. I consider H3 to have the best audio mix of any Halo.

You must be listening to these things through some ipod headphones because the H2 br has a ton of bass and enough sharp detail in there. Its always sounded meaty to me, it's one of the things I always appreciate in H2, the br just sounds powerful to shoot.

H3 br is in line with the rest of the audio in H3, which yes I would describe as soothing and well mixed. I consider H3 to have the best audio mix of any Halo.

No, I've listened to these things in almost any environment. TV speakers, headphones, different types of both. It's one of the weakest weapons I've ever heard. It again, just sounds like metallic bubble blowing. It sounds weaker than MW2's FAMAS, and that weapon sounds like it fires legitimate toothpicks.

Halo 3's sound design is fine with anything bar the AR or BR. But the Magnum sounds more powerful than the BR does in both games. And it legitimately chugs asshole in Halo 2, power wise. IMO, it's a weird irony. Utility sounds like ass and one of the weakest weapons sounds beastly.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The Halo 3 sound design is not the most satisfying to listen to, but if I'm right, it is the most intelligent. Compare the sound of the H2 pistol and the H3 Magnum for an idea of what I mean - the latter almost sounds like cheering, partially because of the sound itself and partially because of the context of the game overall. The Magnum and other H3 guns sound softer, but it's coherent with the very slightly cartoonish character of the game, which lends the game a vibrancy and soul and archetypal quality that the Hollywood grimdark games like Reach, 4 and 5 never got right. That character is a representation of the (especially casual) community's character in H3, and when people register that, they start mimicking it. It magnified Halo 3's psychological position as the "relaxation game", which then kept it alive for years.

The consistency of direction between everyone who worked on H3 is astonishing. It's a clear aesthetic, but it's intuited rather than stated directly, which I think allows for a deeper effect on the emotions. Or I might just be schizo.

• Upvote (+1) 7

As long as the sound design isn't the depressingly bad Halo 4 sound... I'm at the very least satisfied. 

>double down on Master Chief focus

That's cool and all, but Blue Team and Osiris should've been likable characters to those who haven't read the books with interesting stories in the first place. If Halo's only interesting character is the Chief, then this franchise will not make it to 30 years like Microsoft has desired.

Sorry, negged by accident cuz the ad loaded and shifted the entire page

Halo CEA sniper sounded the best

Fake news. H2A sniper was king.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry, negged by accident cuz the ad loaded and shifted the entire page

*cough* use ad-block *cough*

I didn't say anything, sorry accidental reply

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fake news. H2A sniper was king.

Nah man. H2/H3 snipe. You ever seen those H4 montages where they overlay classic snipe audio? Butter.

It might be blasphemous but I wish the magnum in CE had just been skinned as a rifle to begin with. Less people would think it was just some sort of super OP pistol and more people would respect it for the difficult to use, highly rewarding utility weapon that it was. There would've been no need to introduce the easy mode BR, Halo would still have an actual utility weapon that didn't get shit on by map pickups, and both the people that care about game balance and the people that care about immersion would be satisfied.

I've thought this for years. I think the look of the Recon DMR would have been a perfect utility weapon from the start.

• Upvote (+1) 2