CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Videogames are art. Videogames are sports. Apparently my point is difficult to grasp. I'm not just talking about having non-competitive game modes for casual players. I am talking about overarching design principles that cater primarily to people with short attention spans seeking only instant gratification for minimal effort. This is the mentality that results in sprint, Spartan charge, and ground pound. This is the kind of mentality that leads to the god-awful weapon balance that Halo's casual community thought was flawless. This is the mentality that leads maps to be filled with idiotic upgrades that shit all over the spawn weapons (still the case for HCS even after the improvements). The developer is partially to blame for this and in particular the changes that moved the series away from its original gameplay/art aesthetics, but a lot of it is EXACTLY the kind of absolute garbage the larger community wants. I simply don't agree that "casual" needs to mean "utter shit" like it does in this game and has in Halo games previously, but just hop into that community slayer playlist and check out those awful maps with awful weapon layouts, all courtesy of the Halo community. Is that good for series? Is that necessary? It's not even goofy custom modes like what you have in action sack, or grifball, or infection, or fiesta. It's CORE Halo, and it's just terrible.

Nah man, video games can be artistic. Video games can be sports. But at the core, video games are games.

this is NOT, the mentality that lead to all the shitty decisions you named. The mentality that lead to that was an idea that Halo's core priciples were dated and needed to be shifted towards priciples that align with other shooter franchises. It was an idea that halo needed to be different from in order to attract people who weren't interested in Halo- the idea that the birds in the bush were worth more than the bird in hand.

The idea that larger or more valuable community WANTS these shifts isn't something that is supported by the data- the declining sales. The larger community wants a game that can cater to both audiences- the average player spends time on both sides of the fence.

Casual doesn't need to mean "utter shit". The community didn't ask for 343 to make shitty 4v4 maps, or leave BTB totally up to "the community". Also, "The community" is responsible for tons of FANTASTIC maps that 343 chooses not to put into matchmaking.

you just have to accept that what you want out of a video game is different from what others want. That's actually ok. The problem is the developer chooses to not consider what you (and I) want at all. that's in no way the communities fault. This is the developers fault, and it explains why the casual and competitive community are both smaller than ever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I see.

Well word things better you little shit.

My incompetence can be seen outside and inside Halo, God dang it.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I think we were all just crazy from the wealth of free Doritos and cherry flavored Dr. Peppers, because H3 is a shit game. I was just young and shallow. Looking back on it, it is not a great game at all IMO.  But at least the sniping was harder than it is now. That made the competitions exciting.  And the free junk food. 

It was a sum of its parts game. Lots of annoyances but as a package it still hasn't been overtaken by any of the games after it.

I've had my best times playing Halo while in splitscreen or LAN, and H3 is so fucking good at facilitating that it's not even funny. The features that game shipped with, and EVERYTHING works in splitscreen/LAN, your group (online or sitting next to you) can jump between all the multiplayer modes seamlessly, the artstyle pops so you can tell what's going on even with a fraction of the screen, I could go on and on, it's the best couch co-op shooter in history by a mile.

Halo 3 needed better netcode, better sandbox balance, a utility weapon that could shoot straight, and some crispier movement. But it played well enough, and everything WORKED, and it was still Halo. People who had never played video games were trying out Halo 3, it provided the simple joys of casual Halo better than any other game in the series, and everything else grew out of that foundation.

You want a new Halo game to sell, hit AT LEAST feature parity with Halo 3, market it as the best casual FPS experience and local multiplayer shooter out there, and give the competitive community the incredibly simple things they've been asking for for the last decade.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Anybody here use an elite or scuf controller for Halo? Thinking about getting one so I can thrust without taking my thumbs off the stick

Anybody here use an elite or scuf controller for Halo? Thinking about getting one so I can thrust without taking my thumbs off the stick

I've used both but I only use the Elite now. Thrust is mapped to the lower right paddle.

I've used both but I only use the Elite now. Thrust is mapped to the lower right paddle.

Is there a reason you only use an Elite now? Just curious. Trying to justify spending 100+ dollars on a controller for one console. At least with a headset I have multiple uses.

Is there a reason you only use an Elite now? Just curious. Trying to justify spending 100+ dollars on a controller for one console. At least with a headset I have multiple uses.

Scuf paddles are trash - way too hard to press down compared to the Elite. 

Plus I hate how annoying it is to remap buttons with the Scuf.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Scuf paddles are horrible once you switch from an Elite but the Elite sticks are worse, there heavy and ping about, scoping in is better on a scuf.

Scuf paddles are horrible once you switch from an Elite but the Elite sticks are worse, there heavy and ping about, scoping in is better on a scuf.

I prefer the scuf paddles. You have to press them thoroughly, where as the slightest touch on the elite would trigger the paddles

I prefer the scuf paddles. You have to press them thoroughly, where as the slightest touch on the elite would trigger the paddles

You do get used to the elite light touch.

ALSO,

Is the game intermittently unplayable the last week or so? For me I keep getting really bad heavy aim, I'm getting shot behind walls, and will get 5'd before I can get 3 shots off.

On top of the fact that Alien Covenant was awesome; way better than Prometheus (which I still enjoyed for what it was), paced out and felt more like a classic Alien film.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I watched Covenant and Guardians V.2 over the last three days and I honestly think I enjoyed Covenant more so far. 

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I watched Covenant and Guardians V.2 over the last three days and I honestly think I enjoyed Covenant more so far.

First time I see an unpopular opinion that is actually unpopular
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I'm probably going to get downvotes for this but I actually like classic Halo gameplay over the new Halo gameplay.

Holy edgelord

I actually really like playing this game, but the bullshit matchmaking system is going to make me stop again.

and how the fuck are we being forced to get warzone req's nonstop when I am playing in arena/hcs. I have 0 minutes in warzone, I should be able to just target arena related req's.

Tapping buttons is owning

Wrong thread, pls delete

Please don't delete