CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I dont think you can just delete sprint from the game. Its now a key component in how they developed the game. The maps will all be designed bigger to incorporate sprint and if you turn it off then expect long cross country walks.

Similar to clamber. They have designed the maps and heights of wall's to incorporate clamber. If you get rid of it then everything is just a little to high.

I dont think they will go back either. But, if the halo community is persistent and the numbers keep dropping then.. maybe, one day.

Maps could be redesigned, we are 10 months away.

I dont think you can just delete sprint from the game. Its now a key component in how they developed the game. The maps will all be designed bigger to incorporate sprint and if you turn it off then expect long cross country walks.

Similar to clamber. They have designed the maps and heights of wall's to incorporate clamber. If you get rid of it then everything is just a little to high.

I dont think they will go back either. But, if the halo community is persistent and the numbers keep dropping then.. maybe, one day.

Boosting default walking speed will make the trek across maps easier.

Boosting jump will get rid of a few of the problems with clamber.

In all, I would rather they just delay the game and do without sprint and clamber.

They say there are about 300 343 employees, right? Well at this point I'd sign a petition to have 343 replaced by 300 bananas... So you can probably imagine how happy I'd be to sign yours.

If only there were at least 998 or so more community members to do the same, and if a petition would actually DO anything to help, I'd gladly throw one up on my site and throw it around.

Unfortunately, things don't work that way. Which is frustrating because while I may not have gone to a ton of events/competitions like they have, I know for damned sure that I have just as much gameplay experience & a lot more practical application experience than the pros that they hired.

Plus, I also specialize in UI/UX design these days, which they obviously still need a lot of help with judging by MCC and Halo 5 (not to mention Halo 4).

The ranking system is quite good, but it doesn't seem to influence player searching, at least not enough.

I'm not expecting to play only with Pros/semi-Pros, maybe there's not enough, but I don't want to be matched with 0-18 guy and Mr. easy quit every single game.

How is it possible that a full team of Pros and Semi-Pros gets matched with players who didn't yet recieve a division or with Silver/Gold? This whole morning playing with a full team we managed to get about 8 points winning 15 games in a row against complete noobs, and if for any reason you are forced to quit (connection/xbox/current problems) you will lose about 40 to 50 points...

We had to split up to have any chance to rank up.

False.

From a design perspective, increasing base player speed whilst slightly scaling down the overall size of the maps would accommodate the removal of sprint adequately. Also, increasing jump height back to CE/H2 proportions, combined with moving ground-pound to holding left-trigger + right-trigger (to allow for unencumbered crouch-jumping) would easily replace clamber, which like sprint, is a pointless replacement that serves no real benefit over crouch/spring-jumping.

From a programmatic standpoint, with a team the size of 343's studio, it's probably a week worth of work tops.

Since we are all talking about Sprint, lets jump back to 2013 with this.

H5 was already in-development and i'll assume an early build of H5 were already playable at that time  so why even tease the idea? Now in 2015, hopefully 343 will actually listen to the whole halo community. We shall see. 

Lol, sad part is: I'm both a developer and a designer, and I've made games before (small, 2d-based ones though, a long time ago).

But 343 would never hire me. I've submitted my resume a couple of times, as well as directly messaged several 343 employees about the topic. I'd even be willing to start, despite my skill set, as a QA/tester and work my way up, if only to know that I, as a die-hard Halo fan, am doing as much as I can to help steer the franchise in what I know is the best possible direction.

Maybe I should start a petition to get me hired. Would you be interested in singing? Lmao.

Do you have a personal website/portfolio we can look at? I spent the last summer hiring designers and software engineers at a start up this past summer, and I can tell you that there are bunch of dumb things people do (not purposefully) that make it so they have zero chance of being even given an interview. I'm talking about people from Harvard/MIT who had spelling errors, cookie-cutter cover letters with the wrong company mentioned, etc. 

Question: does spectator mode tell you hen someone is spectating your game?

If not, that would be an interesting thing to add in. Maybe in the start menu somewhere, or after you bring up the scoreboard, press "Y" to view spectators. Also, have it notify you via a small message somewhere (eg. in the kill feed or something) when a new spectator joins.

It's the little things, sometimes...

I wanna see how 2v2 works in this game, it seems like the only thing that would work well. 

Or BTB which would be a disaster 

There is no need for sprint if base player movement is increased...

Exactly. They're less interested in "reviving" Halo and modernizing it so much as they are just interested in using the Halo name & lore to throw together a generic modern FPS game and cash in on the low hanging fruit of games like CoD and Destiny.

I understand the need to appeal to as wide of an audience as you can, from a business perspective. But since doing that already failed fantastically twice, why not try what the fans of the franchise actually want this time? What they've been telling you for YEARS now?

And if that fails to provide a better response, then hey... at least you can say, "We tried it your way, and it didn't work" instead of rebutting with hypotheticals and platitudes about how "Halo needs to adapt". Because let's face it: even if they made the Halo game we are all clamoring for, and it fails to live up to expectations (doubtful), it will undoubtably still have great initial sales anyway, just like Halo 4 did.

Unfortunately, people will buy whatever the hell IGN tells them to buy. It's like Oprah's book club for 19 year olds.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do you have a personal website/portfolio we can look at? I spent the last summer hiring designers and software engineers at a start up this past summer, and I can tell you that there are bunch of dumb things people do (not purposefully) that make it so they have zero chance of being even given an interview. I'm talking about people from Harvard/MIT who had spelling errors, cookie-cutter cover letters with the wrong company mentioned, etc.

Not currently, no. And I don't have any modern video game-specific portfolio items to put up anyway. I'm a general designer; most recently, I worked for a company designing e-mail campaigns & data-capture landing pages for client leads. Nothing exciting, but it does involve extensive knowledge of things like usability, data flow, UI design and efficiency, et cetera.

I also developed a proprietary CMS-like system for their recurring monthly clients of several of their marketing products (eg. their online reputation marketing product, dealership sales and service blasts/campaigns, and so on) so as to limit the amount of time spent manually creating said recurring campaigns, free up resources to take on new clients, and grow the company exponentially.

That's where my strengths really lie, in ANY setting: problem solving & maximizing efficiency.

But the aforementioned caveat of not having a computer science degree and/or any modern video game development/design work experience is why I'd never be hired, despite the fact that I'm sure Ghost, Dersky, and Neighbor also lack those credentials and have even less experience in any sort of design or development environment, video game related or otherwise.

THAT'S the frustrating part...

I just pulled this off, figured you all would enjoy.

Nope. That was just skillful out maneuvering by fully utilizing the base traits of next generation Halo -343i

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's fine for you if you like every bullshit 343 forces into the game, but please don't try to argue that it's not bad when so many people have proven infinite times why things like sprint are just so wrong in Halo.

But who's "so many people?" A majority of Beyond? A majority of rHalo? A majority of the Waypoint forums? The average every day Halo player who is going to buy their game and be a paying/playing customer doesn't visit any of these online forums. We make up a minority, if anything. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, though, they say, just like when Microsoft reversed their decision on the Xbox One. But sometimes that squeeky wheel is just a vocal minority. Not saying it's good or bad, just putting it out there.

But who's "so many people?" A majority of Beyond? A majority of rHalo? A majority of the Waypoint forums? The average every day Halo player who is going to buy their game and be a paying/playing customer doesn't visit any of these online forums. We make up a minority, if anything. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, though, they say, just like when Microsoft reversed their decision on the Xbox One. But sometimes that squeeky wheel is just a vocal minority. Not saying it's good or bad, just putting it out there.

All of those forums you mentioned (yes,even waypoint) are against Sprint. That is MAJORITY of the HARDCORE AUDIENCE, which is who 343 and any developer should care about, as they will still be the people who financially support the game through microtransactions/DLC's.