CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Regenerators literally dictated games on Isolation lol.

As a concept I don't necessarily hate the idea of equipment, but most of its implementation in h3 was pretty awful. Heck, there's even a pre-release video floating around in which Jaime Griesemer states that they designed the Bubble Shield's radius to be exactly in Shotgun range. And somehow that passes as a good idea!?

The Grav Lift and Deployable Cover (I don't think we ever saw this one outside of Forged custom map variants, actually) were probably the two least objectionable, especially since they could both be destroyed by a couple of shots.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Like I keep saying with all of this frivolous nonsense, if you kept it in BTB (or something like Warzone) then I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

You guys remember that you had to pick up equipment off the map, right? And it was a one time use. It's just a non traditional power weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Regen was Armor Lock before there was Armor Lock. 

Regen is the child that you feel sorry for.

Armor lock is the person you want to assassinate. 

That's how I see it

• Upvote (+1) 1

You guys remember that you had to pick up equipment off the map, right? And it was a one time use. It's just a non traditional power weapon.

The way to balance it more, could be that you had to pull the equipment out, like holding out an AR (you gotta like chamber the gun or sum shit) and then you can use it. People couldn't identify if enemies had power drain, so has a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhht random effect

• Upvote (+1) 1

They respawn every minute and they were all in easily accessible locations lol. It's not like they were completely out of the way.

Halo Reach abilities were pick-ups at one point as well, including armor lock. Didn't really justify them being broken though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The idea of equipment is not terrible and I wouldn't be upset if they returned in Halo 6. I would just hope they are powerful enough for teams to care about fighting over (otherwise it would feel random when someone uses it) but not capable of completely saving yourself from certain death. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Like I keep saying with all of this frivolous nonsense, if you kept it in BTB (or something like Warzone) then I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. 

That should be 343's philosophy whenever someone has a ridiculous idea. If it's hard or impossible to balance, put it in the Warzone idea pile first before thinking about putting it in Arena.

A different topic, but I noticed they put the top 5 HCS players on the message of the day menu which is pretty much the same idea that I suggested back in February about reward ideas for champion players in Menke's feedback thread. Should I demand REQ pack compensation? :kappa: Whether it was based on my idea or not, I thought it was pretty cool either way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm glad they were map pick ups and not something you could spawn with, but regardless it doesn't change my opinion on the engagements they created. Thankfully people in charge of competitive settings understood that while equipment could be fun and add some sort of variety, it was never in such a skill based way. I honestly think the most skill induced aspect of the equipment were the jumps you were able to do with them, which seemed unintentional but was cool.

Hate to always bring up Shadowrun, but think of the engagements around a tree of life and the variety of outcomes that can happen and options you have. Now, think of the type of engagements a regeneration field gives you. For the most part they are all AR rush with a double melee, or bait someone in if you have a shotgun/sword/snipe. Same with bubble shields.

It was fun for casual play but that's basically it, at least for me competitively.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The way to balance it more, could be that you had to pull the equipment out, like holding out an AR (you gotta like chamber the gun or sum shit) and then you can use it. People couldn't identify if enemies had power drain, so has a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhht random effect

It's no more random than someone pulling out and killing you with rockets in H1 and H2.

They respawn every minute and they were all in easily accessible locations lol. It's not like they were completely out of the way.

Halo Reach abilities were pick-ups at one point as well, including armor lock. Didn't really justify them being broken though.

Okay so then treat them like a power weapon lol just increase the respawn and put them in better locations. I'm not saying they were perfect, regen can fuck off. But they're no different than power weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's no more random than someone pulling out and killing you with rockets in H1 and H2.

Okay so then treat them like a power weapon lol just increase the respawn and put them in better locations. I'm not saying they were perfect, regen can fuck off. But they're no different than power weapons.

They're worse for the game than power weapons. They're an instant brake button to slow any engagement you want down to a crawl.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Are people really arguing in favor of Equipments ?? H3 equipments didn't belong on a 4v4 competitive settings

Are people really arguing in favor of Equipments ?? H3 equipments didn't belong on a 4v4 competitive settings

I think we're just discussing about them just being in the game for fun lol. Nothing serious. I just personally thought they were dumb overall haha. Damn things pissed me off constantly lol.. I don't think anyone disagrees that they're not good for competitive though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You know, when people here shit on the very concept of equipment, you don't do the stigma of "you team beyond guys just want H:CE/H2 over and over again" any favours.

Equipment had the most potential of anything added to the formula since CE, without changing the overall formula. It should have been refined and built apon. Instead it got one less than stellar experiment in H3 and was forgotten about.

Equipment was a fantastic idea, executed poorly in a few areas. Alternative power weapons/power ups that are more dynamic than a blatant health boost (Overshield) or making it so you're opponents can't see you (Camo) is great idea.

• Upvote (+1) 8

You know, when people here shit on the very concept of equipment, you don't do the stigma of "you team beyond guys just want H:CE/H2 over and over again" any favours.

Well, that's definitely an overreaction. A lot of people didn't like them because they were overpowered/annoying. And quite a few of us that don't like them, such as myself, have stated that there are equipment that we liked/didn't mind such as the Grav Lift and Trip Mine. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unless you can find more equipment that isn't just straight up annoying OR devalues power weapons then I don't care if it never comes back.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Reading some of these comments, I suppose the idea of equipment isn't terrible, but the execution definately was.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, that's definitely an overreaction. A lot of people didn't like them because they were overpowered/annoying. And quite a few of us that don't like them, such as myself, have stated that there are equipment that we liked/didn't mind such as the Grav Lift and Trip Mine.

I wasn't referring to everyone

• Upvote (+1) 2

Reading some of these comments, I suppose the idea of equipment isn't terrible, but the execution definately was.

Which is what everyone who's defended it thus far has said.

I'll repeat myself for the 4th time.

The idea of equipment is awesome. The execution was great in some areas and awful in others.

We could probably come up with better equipment ideas in like 5 minutes if we wanted. Stop being close minded. ACTUALLY close minded.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Unless you can find more equipment that isn't just straight up annoying OR devalues power weapons then I don't care if it never comes back.

How did the H3 equipment devalue power weapons anymore than a power up would?

All the concept of equipment does is create another type of pick up for players to contest, it's not taking away from any pre-existing pick ups to the formula. It can even bring more value to power weapons if the equipment has a weakness to any particular power weapons.

What makes coming round a corner and getting Power Drained any different to taking a rocket to the face if that power drain is contested and earned, or one team ignored it. How is someone popping a bubble any different to coming round a corner and coming against the guy with OS? Both have an advantage, but the potential to outplay them exists. Only change I'd make to bubble shield is that sustained fire destroys it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

How did the H3 equipment devalue power weapons anymore than a power up would?

All the concept of equipment does is create another type of pick up for players to contest, it's not taking away from any pre-existing pick ups to the formula. It can even bring more value to power weapons if the equipment has a weakness to any particular power weapons.

What makes coming round a corner and getting Power Drained any different to taking a rocket to the face if that power drain is contested and earned, or one team ignored it. How is someone popping a bubble any different to coming round a corner and coming against the guy with OS? Both have an advantage, but the potential to outplay them exists. Only change I'd make to bubble shield is that sustained fire destroys it.

• Upvote (+1) 9