CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Was in Diamond 4/5 in TA.

Plays new season, wins all ten games.

Gold 1 new rank....

Why was I matching gold and silver players? I almost hit 8k damage in a CTF!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Was in Diamond 4/5 in TA.

Plays new season, wins all ten games.

Gold 1 new rank....

Why was I matching gold and silver players? I almost hit 8k damage in a CTF!

Dude equipment was dope, just leave it in BTB. Bubble shield and trip mine, so many fun scenarios come out of those two alone lol just leave it out of 4v4.

leave it out of 4v4 but keep it in 5v5 and above modes.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

343 came in hot, refuses MLG any participation, and runs their entire self sponsored competitive scene. And then ignores the entire community while doing it.

That hot viewership, though.

That hot viewership, though.

Giving away a gold pack every 10 minutes definitely didn't inflate the numbers

• Upvote (+1) 5

Remember when we thought the bubble shield was ruining Halo? Haha!

Equipment itself isn't really a terrible idea, imo. Just stupid bullshit like Bubble Shield and Regen.

I unironically loved the portable grav lift. Being able to create new routes for your teammates was a great idea. Shame for the rest of the equipment, though.

The thing is, equipment only needed small changes to be perfectly fine. Yes, the bubble shield and regen were very get-out-of-jail-for-free cards but they were manageable and in no way broke the game. As for all the others like gravity lift and trip mine, they were just glorified powerups. The main issue was that you couldn't tell if someone was holding them. If they had the equipment strapped on their hip or something so the opponent could prepare properly, then equipment would have been regarded more positively. That's all they had to fucking do but instead Bungie scrapped equipment for armor abilities (equipment that you spawn with and it recharges after 5 seconds). Fucking hell. And then in Halo 5, armor abilities are finally gone only to have extra abilities given to everyone that are primarily used to evade engagements.

Equipment was such an easy fix but instead they scrapped it for something far worst and it spiraled downhill from there.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I don't pay much attention to h5 other than forge has there really never been an MLG run event?

They were involved during HWC 2016 and that's it.

Yeah but valve doesn't claim to create a competitive experience, it just happens with their games. Nor do they run the events or do so with an iron fist.

Eh, I still think there's some unfairness with how iBP got treated. What they did was wrong yes, but equal offenses have been forgiven elsewhere.

But at least Valve works with MLG

The thing is, equipment only needed small changes to be perfectly fine. Yes, the bubble shield and regen were very get-out-of-jail-for-free cards but they were manageable and in no way broke the game. As for all the others like gravity lift and trip mine, they were just glorified powerups. The main issue was that you couldn't tell if someone was holding them. If they had the equipment strapped on their hip or something so the opponent could prepare properly, then equipment would have been regarded more positively. That's all they had to fucking do but instead Bungie scrapped equipment for armor abilities (equipment that you spawn with and it recharges after 5 seconds). Fucking hell. And then in Halo 5, armor abilities are finally gone only to have extra abilities given to everyone that are primarily used to evade engagements.

Equipment was such an easy fix but instead they scrapped it for something far worst and it spiraled downhill from there.

I don't think making them visible is necessary. If they were to return, limit them to 1 or 2 per map on a long respawn so that you can play mindgames if your team has it and theirs doesn't.

• Upvote (+1) 2

honestly AAs could've had this as well, along with some sort of appropriate limiter, like for jetpack it would've been fuel, for armor lock it could drain shields permanently or something, etc.

It wouldn't have fixed ALL the issues but it would've made them better balanced.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think making them visible is necessary. If they were to return, limit them to 1 or 2 per map on a long respawn so that you can play mindgames if your team has it and theirs doesn't.

Making them visible isn't vital but all it does is benefit the skill gap so they might as well.

honestly AAs could've had this as well, along with some sort of appropriate limiter, like for jetpack it would've been fuel, for armor lock it could drain shields permanently or something, etc.

It wouldn't have fixed ALL the issues but it would've made them better balanced.

There were visible ways to tell who had what AA in Reach. It was a little circle on their back that was completely unnoticeable unless you were about to assassinate them. It was stupid.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Making them visible isn't vital but all it does is benefit the skill gap so they might as well.

There were visible ways to tell who had what AA in Reach. It was a little circle on their back that was completely unnoticeable unless you were about to assassinate them. It was stupid.

yeah it was. I would've been happy with like a colored outline when you got close to someone.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

They were involved during HWC 2016 and that's it.

And X-games, I think.

Is the population larger now for HCS playlist?

Am I trash on the new settings?

Is the magnum trash, and I just overcompensated with the AR?

Why the hell am I playing plats and golds that seem like they were onyxes in team arena?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why the hell am I playing plats and golds that seem like they were onyxes in team arena?

Because most of them were, unless your mmr was huge you place in gold/plat.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Menke at work. Onyx is significantly more exclusive now than it was ever before in H5.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Never realized there were so many fans of the equipment pick ups for Halo 3. The only thing I thought was interesting was the gravity lift. Whatever dynamic that bubble shields and regeneration fields added had no depth to them and created what I consider to be very noob based engagements. I can see how bubble shield battles might be fun, or regen field battles but it was just weapon spam into double melees.

From a casual standpoint they were interesting. I don't think they deserve to be in any competitive mode though at least in their current form.

@@MultiLockOn regarding Valve, it's not nearly the same situation as 343's but theres a bunch of TF2 guys that might disagree with your statement.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Never realized there were so many fans of the equipment pick ups for Halo 3. The only thing I thought was interesting was the gravity lift. Whatever dynamic that bubble shields and regeneration fields added had no depth to them and created what I consider to be very noob based engagements. I can see how bubble shield battles might be fun, or regen field battles but it was just weapon spam into double melees.

From a casual standpoint they were interesting. I don't think they deserve to be in any competitive mode though at least in their current form.

@@MultiLockOn regarding Valve, it's not nearly the same situation as 343's but theres a bunch of TF2 guys that might disagree with your statement.

I'm sure they would. If you go on the Gears forums they think the coalition is both the worst developer ever and Satan. They don't know how lucky they are lol every game community thinks they have it there worst.

But Halo....we REALLY know

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm sure they would. If you go on the Gears forums they think the coalition is both the worst developer ever and Satan. They don't know how lucky they are lol every game community thinks they have it there worst.

But Halo....we REALLY know

You can't please everyone, sure, but it sounds like at least some of competitive gears fans recognize that the Coalition is doing something right. I don't think anyone in the TF2 community acknowledges that because Valve finally warmed up to competitive TF2 but by their demands. Competitive TF2 has adopted rules and modes way different from Valves vision so Valve chooses not to support them.

This is what was explained to me at the EsportsArena TF2 event.

It's pretty crazy honestly. TF2 is a great game in my opinion, is fun to watch and can take a lot of skill to play. Seeing the entire downstairs of the venue packed with players was great to see. They had 3 international teams there on top of all the american talent and Valve still doesn't care. They call themselves a "dead esport" but I believe they no longer consider themselves dead after sharing the event with Halo CE and Shadowrun.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Menke at work. Onyx is significantly more exclusive now than it was ever before in H5.

And it's not just that. The HCS playlist is naturally going to appeal to the higher end of the skill pool especially now that the settings allow for a higher skill gap. So ranking up is going to be harder.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was just thinking the same thing; I had zero clue so many people found the equipment fun lol. I think I'm the vocal minority then because I thought the equipment was quite possibly the most annoying thing about Halo 3. I found absolutely nothing interesting about people timing and abusing Regens on The Pit and Bubble Shields.

Get out of jail free card was an understatement.

Oh? Did you take half my shields off? Ha-HA!... I'm full shields again.

I'm about to die, but luckily I have my handy-dandy bubble shield to save me so I can escape.

Lol they were the most ridiculous thing. The only two pieces of equipment I didn't have a problem with were Trip Mines and the Gravity Lift. Trip mines were only present on BTB maps and useful against vehicles. Dope. Gravity lifts can change the pace of the game, had no problems with people doing that.

Power drain? LOL.. Dude I absolutely loved being up two shots on someone and then a blue ball comes flying at my face to take my shields down in .4 seconds.

I would play with my little brother on our 50s in doubles almost every single day and we literally had to TIME these things just to keep the other teams from abusing them. So we would grab them and just not use them the entire game. It's probably fun when you're playing with idiots, but when you're playing sweaties/pros every day that abuse the crap out of them, that is not fun in the slightest.

Think I'm lying? Ask @@Stoppabl3 about one of our H2 teammates that does this exact shit when we play H3 lmao. Times the hell out of those equipment because if we don't they'll just do it to us.

But different strokes for different folks I guess haha.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't have a vendetta against them, I just thought they were broken lol. Literally every map played better without Regens and Bubble Shield in particular.

• Upvote (+1) 2