CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The most frustrating thing is that Halo 5 has the groundwork and foundation to be a GREAT Halo game. And both the community and 343 know exactly how to shape it into one. It's 343's relentless aversion to pull the trigger on it that is road blocking things.

• Remove sprint

• Increase base movement speed

• Scale maps down slightly (doesn't even have to be much, so long as base movement speed increase is significant)

Speed up ADS animations

• Reduce magnetism & power of AR & SMG

• Remove aiming reticule from ground pound until you've been charging for at least a second (so as to make it less distracting when performing quick crouch-jumps)

• Change ground-pound button from holding crouch to "hold Left & Right Trigger", especially for Bumper Jumper (makes more sense: jump + melee buttons), alleviating mistakenly charging when attempting crouch jump, for example

• Remove flinch animations when being shot, as they provide no benefit and only serve to needlessly distract

• Remove or at least provide toggle option for in-game chatter

• Remove "enemy team has [power weapon name here]" AI callouts, but keep other power weapon audio notifications (or perhaps just text-based ones in activity feed)

• Remove "death music" and speed up ability to toggle through teammates views while waiting to respawn

• Remove cheesy, pointless "high five photo ops" at beginning and end of game, replace with longer map overview at beginning and more interesting winning-team stats at end of game

These changes alone, along with the obvious "option to remove impulse trigger vibration" (which are obviously oversights and will be in the final release anyway) would make Halo 5 not only fun to play, but also an incredibly competitive and entertaining game, both to watch and to play.

Throw in a custom game browser, in-game clans/team builder with a "team-only" based playlist requiring you to be part of a team and have at least 4 of those players online and in your party in order to search in the team-ranked playlist, as well as both a team-based and individual-based in-game leaderboard (with ability to challenge a higher ranked team to rank up faster, as well as the ability to watch the higher ranked teams play & learn from them), and Halo would not only be back to being a top 3 FPS game (both competitively and casually), but I believe would actually topple CoD for the #1 spot. Easily.

THAT'S a game I would gladly pay full price for any day, as I'm sure MANY people easily would as well. So why the hell not do it?! It's a god damned no-brainer!

You just read my mind in that first paragraph. I see people saying this game is shit after playing half a match, or saying 343i killed Halo just because of what they've seen, but in all honesty, all I see is a lot of potential in this game.

And I like the bro-fives at the end.

Eden is just a "remix" of Truth. It's the same map with a different look and some modified routes/structural changes. Don't expect an entirely new map.

Eden is the remix of Empire while Regret is Truth's remix.

The most frustrating thing is that Halo 5 has the groundwork and foundation to be a GREAT Halo game.

That also applies to Reach and Halo 4. Reach in particular could have been a masterpiece if it was done right.

*Edited for redundancy.

Please don't be like TuElite, no one thinks it's funny or even "cool".

83ab3e2a890e81dce1b5fb23a350235c.png

In one foul swoop, Charles sums up the community's frustrations in just a couple of words.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Eden is just a "remix" of Truth. It's the same map with a different look and some modified routes/structural changes. Don't expect an entirely new map.

I know that. But a change of power weapons and modification of structures/sightlines is very much necessary.

Eden is the remix of Empire while Regret is Truth's remix.

Oh shit. You're right. My apologies.

The most frustrating thing is that Halo 5 has the groundwork and foundation to be a GREAT Halo game. And both the community and 343 know exactly how to shape it into one. It's 343's relentless aversion to pull the trigger on it that is road blocking things.

This is the worst part of it all and why I get depressed whenever I see anything related to H5 or 343. 343 is like the biggest cockblocking company of all time, it's almost like they do it on purpose. They announce a remake of the most popular xbox title of all time, and it's so fucked up the diehards that have been waiting a fuckin decade won't even touch it. Then H5... you're right, it has a decent base. Halo is somewhere in there, but 343 just refuses to let it out. It's like they just made it Halo enough so that you get angry about it. At this point, they have to know what makes Halo a great game and they just refuse to acknowledge it.

It really is crazy how a company can do so many things right and still fuck up Halo so badly.

Honestly, they're already a huge over abundance of medals currently. The last thing H5 needs is even more.

At this point I would take a compromise in inability to sprint when shields are down.

• Upvote (+1) 1

• Remove sprint

• Increase base movement speed

• Scale maps down slightly (doesn't even have to be much, so long as base movement speed increase is significant)

• Make ground-pound something to be earned (like personal ordinance was, sort of)

• Speed up ADS animations

• Reduce magnetism & power of AR & SMG

• Remove aiming reticule from ground pound until you've been charging for at least a second (so as to make it less distracting when performing quick crouch-jumps), or (more preferably)...

• ...Change ground-pound button from holding crouch to "hold Left & Right Trigger", especially for Bumper Jumper (makes more sense: jump + melee buttons), alleviating mistakenly charging when attempting crouch jump, for example

• Remove flinch animations when being shot, as they provide no benefit and only serve to needlessly distract

• Remove or at least provide toggle option for in-game chatter

• Remove "enemy team has [power weapon name here]" AI callouts, but keep other power weapon audio notifications (or perhaps just text-based ones in activity feed)

• Remove "death music" and speed up ability to toggle through teammates views while waiting to respawn

• Remove cheesy, pointless "high five photo ops" at beginning and end of game, replace with longer map overview at beginning and more interesting winning-team stats at end of game

These changes alone, along with the obvious "option to remove impulse trigger vibration" (which are obviously oversights and will be in the final release anyway) would make Halo 5 not only fun to play, but also an incredibly competitive and entertaining game, both to watch and to play.

Throw in a custom game browser, in-game clans/team builder with a "team-only" based playlist requiring you to be part of a team and have at least 4 of those players online and in your party in order to search in the team-ranked playlist, as well as both a team-based and individual-based in-game leaderboard (with ability to challenge a higher ranked team to rank up faster, as well as the ability to watch the higher ranked teams play & learn from them)

If this was realized at least eight of my IRL pre-Reach friends would return to the franchise and buy the game. Right now I don’t think I know anyone who would buy Halo 5. Get a job at 343, please.

This is the worst part of it all and why I get depressed whenever I see anything related to H5 or 343. 343 is like the biggest cockblocking company of all time, it's almost like they do it on purpose. They announce a remake of the most popular xbox title of all time, and it's so fucked up the diehards that have been waiting a fuckin decade won't even touch it. Then H5... you're right, it has a decent base. Halo is somewhere in there, but 343 just refuses to let it out. It's like they just made it Halo enough so that you get angry about it. At this point, they have to know what makes Halo a great game and they just refuse to acknowledge it.

It really is crazy how a company can do so many things right and still fuck up Halo so badly.

They're trying to capture all the different audiences out there, but forgetting that Halo fans aren't going to like a hybrid game that's not classic Halo, and other audiences such as CoD are simply gonna play the real CoD.

The question is, how many games are they gonna make before they realise it's a mistake.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is the worst part of it all and why I get depressed whenever I see anything related to H5 or 343. 343 is like the biggest cockblocking company of all time, it's almost like they do it on purpose. They announce a remake of the most popular xbox title of all time, and it's so fucked up the diehards that have been waiting a fuckin decade won't even touch it. Then H5... you're right, it has a decent base. Halo is somewhere in there, but 343 just refuses to let it out. It's like they just made it Halo enough so that you get angry about it. At this point, they have to know what makes Halo a great game and they just refuse to acknowledge it.

Exactly. They're less interested in "reviving" Halo and modernizing it so much as they are just interested in using the Halo name & lore to throw together a generic modern FPS game and cash in on the low hanging fruit of games like CoD and Destiny.

I understand the need to appeal to as wide of an audience as you can, from a business perspective. But since doing that already failed fantastically twice, why not try what the fans of the franchise actually want this time? What they've been telling you for YEARS now?

And if that fails to provide a better response, then hey... at least you can say, "We tried it your way, and it didn't work" instead of rebutting with hypotheticals and platitudes about how "Halo needs to adapt". Because let's face it: even if they made the Halo game we are all clamoring for, and it fails to live up to expectations (doubtful), it will undoubtably still have great initial sales anyway, just like Halo 4 did.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Too late in H5's development cycle to remove a core mechanic like sprint. So much would have to be re worked and re made to work without it. Not as simple as just removing it. 

I'm pretty sure they made h1 multiplayer in like a month and you see how great that was. It is not too late in development.

Reach in particular could have been a masterpiece if it was done right.

If Reach had launched with NSZB, a few more good on disc maps and a working ranking system it would have been the best Halo right behind CE.

As it launched it was one of the worst. Potential doesn't mean much if it's not used.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I linked the first 2 paragraphs to him, will let you know if he responds

If he's so sure of his arguments in favour of sprint, then he'll have absolutely no problem with pointing out all the specific flaws in my argument. And when he does, I'll gladly concede.

He'll most likely do one of three things, though:

1. Ignore the arguments.

2. Claim that sprint requires skill because you have to think about when it will be beneficial to sprint, and when it will be beneficial to have your weapon ready. He'll claim this will set apart the good players from the bad.

3. He'll move the goalposts and talk about an entirely different point, such as: "We're super soldiers, and we somehow can't sprint?". As if this is somehow a direct counter to the argument about skill-gap.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They're trying to capture all the different audiences out there, but forgetting that Halo fans aren't going to like a hybrid game that's not classic Halo, and other audiences such as CoD are simply gonna play the real CoD.

The question is, how many games are they gonna make before they realise it's a mistake.

The definition of insanity

If this was realized at least eight of my IRL pre-Reach friends would return to the franchise and buy the game. Right now I don’t think I know anyone who would buy Halo 5. Get a job at 343, please.

Lol, sad part is: I'm both a developer and a designer, and I've made games before (small, 2d-based ones though, a long time ago).

But 343 would never hire me. I've submitted my resume a couple of times, as well as directly messaged several 343 employees about the topic. I'd even be willing to start, despite my skill set, as a QA/tester and work my way up, if only to know that I, as a die-hard Halo fan, am doing as much as I can to help steer the franchise in what I know is the best possible direction.

Maybe I should start a petition to get me hired. Would you be interested in singing? Lmao.

Not sure if we want negative medals but,

Announcer: "Carried!"

Description: Win a game with a negative K/D

• Upvote (+1) 7

Not sure if we want negative medals but,

Announcer: "Carried!"

Description: Win a game with a negative K/D

The medal would be a backpack 

• Upvote (+1) 3

First day of the beta: 26 friends online in the H5 beta

Third day: 5 friends online in the H5 beta

Today: 2 friends online in the H5 beta

Your move 343.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If he's so sure of his arguments in favour of sprint, then he'll have absolutely no problem with pointing out all the specific flaws in my argument. And when he does, I'll gladly concede.

He'll most likely do one of three things, though:

1. Ignore the arguments.

2. Claim that sprint requires skill because you have to think about when it will be beneficial to sprint, and when it will be beneficial to have your weapon ready. He'll claim this will set apart the good players from the bad.

3. He'll move the goalposts and talk about an entirely different point, such as: "We're super soldiers, and we somehow can't sprint?". As if this is somehow a direct counter to the argument about skill-gap.

So far, he is currently doing number 1. He usually does this when I beat him into submission. "Victory!" as Jeff would say.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol, sad part is: I'm both a developer and a designer, and I've made games before (small, 2d-based ones though, a long time ago).

But 343 would never hire me. I've submitted my resume a couple of times, as well as directly messaged several 343 employees about the topic. I'd even be willing to start, despite my skill set, as a QA/tester and work my way up, if only to know that I, as a die-hard Halo fan, am doing as much as I can to help steer the franchise in what I know is the best possible direction.

Maybe I should start a petition to get me hired. Would you be interested in singing? Lmao.

They say there are about 300 343 employees, right? Well at this point I'd sign a petition to have 343 replaced by 300 bananas... So you can probably imagine how happy I'd be to sign yours.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Or we can just keep asking for no sprint. I would prefer faster movement and no sprint, but after 3 games now...idk its a small chance they're even considering it anymore and we need good out of the box settings so, trying to find a compromise. 

I dont think you can just delete sprint from the game. Its now a key component in how they developed the game. The maps will all be designed bigger to incorporate sprint and if you turn it off then expect long cross country walks.

Similar to clamber. They have designed the maps and heights of wall's to incorporate clamber. If you get rid of it then everything is just a little to high.

I dont think they will go back either. But, if the halo community is persistent and the numbers keep dropping then.. maybe, one day.

This is my feedback:

-Spartan abilities:
     Thruster Pack: I find this ability out of place I think that it should be replaced with "evade" from halo reach

Sprint: Besides some issues like it being unlimited I think it works fine. 

Tackle: This, I really dont like this, its almost impossible to assassinate someone that is 5 meters away from you.

Slide: I love this, it makes me feel bad ass and it could be very useful with a shotgun or a sword.

Ground pound: Uhm... I think I have never killed someone with this and I think that it doesn't fit with the halo lore.

Clamber: this fits almost perfectly with halo, its like an evolution of crouch jump.

Smart scope: Its just an evolution of the "zoom" but i think that it should work like the zoom, instead of using "LT" for smart scope you   should use "Joystick".

-Weapons:

Assault Rifle: Maybe its a little too powerful, but i can live with that.

BR: I absolutely love it, maybe the sound can be improved, otherwise its great.

DMR: I never was a fan of the DMR but its okay as long as you dont include DMR starts.

Magnum: I like the way its now, its not too powerful (Halo CE) but it isnt useless (Halo 3).

SMG: without "dual-welding" I think that 343 did a good job improving his damage, otherwise it would be useless even as a second hand.

Sniper Rifle: I dislike the halo 4s design but I suppose that its only a place holder.

Prophets Bane: Its just an energy sword with a bigger radius. Maybe too bright

Grenades: They are way too powerful 

And last but not least... REMOVE BULLET MAGNETISM.

-Armor:

I like the new ones, I love the arbiter armor and the ODST one.

Finally the fem spartans look like a woman and not like a skinny man.

We need elite warriors, maybe not for the competitive but for the customs and social playlist like BTB.

-Kill cams: I absolutely HATE these, I hate them in COD, i hate them in Battlefield, i hate them everywhere, i just want to see my team mates or my enemy tea-bagging my body. Most of the times you dont need to tell me how i was killed.

-TTK: It should be elongated, every time you face an enemy in halo it becomes a duel between two or more players.

-Ranking system: I dont like it but I suppose it isnt perfect, not yet.

-Medals: They are way too many I dont have a sense of reward.

-Announcer: Hes way too happy for a military war games simulator announcer.

-Maps:

Truth: I think that it doesn't work really good, its more like a racetrack with everyone sprinting around with the sword.

Empire: Its like a jungle, everyone jumping and thrustering and sliding and clambering... I love it, the thing are the sniper rifles, the map is close quarters so... yeah.

-Chat: I think that it gives more personality to the spartans but it doesn't quite fit in a competitive manner.

-PW callouts: I dont really like this, its way too "noob friendly"  

Thanks for reading. I will post a full opinion when the beta ends, until now, this is all i got.