CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

@@Killmachine, I finally wrote the script for Must Know Tricks for Hang em High Part 1. It's all just Random Spawns, as I felt that was the most important thing to know and had the biggest impact on the game, kind of like knowing how to nade camo down on Dammy. I'll do a Part 2 that is all the best grenade tricks next.  I'll be recording audio and writing up the shots I need for B Roll soon, and hopefully recording footage this coming week. Would you be interested in helping me record? I'll need a teammate to demonstrate randoms but I want the video to be full screen.

• Upvote (+1) 6

So I re-downloaded H5 after these recent announcements got me hyped. Why is PG matchmaking so aids ?

Since the recent development of 343 removing problematic weapons from our competitive settings (about damn time) we need to sit down and SERIOUSLY discuss how we want our weapons in Halo 5 to function.

343 has stated that they are planning on retooling the AR, sword, splinters and BPR. It implies we will see these weapons make a return, so it's within our best interest to make sure we can be happy about that for once.

When I look at trying to improve an existing weapons sandbox, I keep a few rules in mind:

1. Proper variety with little to no redundancy.

Quick, which weapon can be used mid to long range and is headshot capable? Too many weapons in Halo 5 fit this description when it really shouldn't be that broad.

2. Removing a weapon is just a bandaid solution.

Every weapon can be retooled, and like my first rule, having lots of proper variety can be great. Stripping a weapon completely from the game should only be considered if a weapon has absolutely no redeemable traits or cannot be retooled to fit a sandbox need or niche.

3. Except for Power Weapons/Ups, no Rock-Paper-Scissors style "check mate" scenario weaponry.

I'm sure you're all aware of how Halo 5 handles its weapons sandbox so this comes as no surprise. Weapons that lack counterplay are uninteresting to use and are not fun to be shot at with. It places skill based gameplay in the backseat and promotes luck of the draw situations.

4. No upgrade based weaponry (again excluding PW/U's)

Our starting weaponry need to set the pace of the game at all times, and cannot be undermined in a so called even starts environment. If the weaponry on the map are just statistically superior versions of our starting weapons, then even starts is just a pointless facade.

5. Have a good Ease of use/Damage output ratio, and avoid making weapons harder to use for the sake of making them harder to use.

Obviously having an EoU/Dmg ratio is important for any weapon sandbox (something Halo 5 blatantly disregards), but there is a realm of "going too far" that is suggested all to often and disregards the environment a player is in. For example, removing all aim assistance is one of these suggestions. Not only are we playing on console with sticks incapable of such accuracy, we have a PC counterpart now where a nerf of like that would do nothing at all. At no point should players be fighting their controllers. We have to remember that we want weapons to be fun to use for all skill levels, not just the high end, so find ways go make a weapon harder to use without hurting how players handle the weapon from a controller standpoint.

All post some more later, but for now some feedback on the AR, BPR, Splinters and Sword would really be great for 343.

• Upvote (+1) 5

@@Killmachine, I finally wrote the script for Must Know Tricks for Hang em High Part 1. It's all just Random Spawns, as I felt that was the most important thing to know and had the biggest impact on the game, kind of like knowing how to nade camo down on Dammy. I'll do a Part 2 that is all the best grenade tricks next. I'll be recording audio and writing up the shots I need for B Roll soon, and hopefully recording footage this coming week. Would you be interested in helping me record? I'll need a teammate to demonstrate randoms but I want the video to be full screen.

Yo dude for sure. When you wanna do this? May be busy some days so if you could get a day in advance that'd be sick

Proving grounds is testing my sanity. I've gone from Diamond 6 to Diamond 1 then back up multiple times.

It doesn't help that I keep having encounters like this  https://streamable.com/q5ubf. I either should have totally missed the last shot or it should have been a headshot, but I guess I hit the guy's back or something. This happens all the time and it completely tilts me. I've also started getting kills after I'm already dead and shooting people through walls. The magnetism and aim assist are so odd. 

I would love it if they added a connection indicator like the earlier games, because I can't tell if my connection is bad or if the game is just going bonkers.

does anyone know if you can use an dvi-to-hdmi adapter for a monitor with no hdmi slot? me and my cousin went to buy one and the bestbuy employee said it could cook his monitor.. is this true? i didnt really believe it but didnt wanna risk it.

Since the recent development of 343 removing problematic weapons from our competitive settings (about damn time) we need to sit down and SERIOUSLY discuss how we want our weapons in Halo 5 to function.

343 has stated that they are planning on retooling the AR, sword, splinters and BPR. It implies we will see these weapons make a return, so it's within our best interest to make sure we can be happy about that for once.

When I look at trying to improve an existing weapons sandbox, I keep a few rules in mind:

1. Proper variety with little to no redundancy.

Quick, which weapon can be used mid to long range and is headshot capable? Too many weapons in Halo 5 fit this description when it really shouldn't be that broad.

2. Removing a weapon is just a bandaid solution.

Every weapon can be retooled, and like my first rule, having lots of proper variety can be great. Stripping a weapon completely from the game should only be considered if a weapon has absolutely no redeemable traits or cannot be retooled to fit a sandbox need or niche.

3. Except for Power Weapons/Ups, no Rock-Paper-Scissors style "check mate" scenario weaponry.

I'm sure you're all aware of how Halo 5 handles its weapons sandbox so this comes as no surprise. Weapons that lack counterplay are uninteresting to use and are not fun to be shot at with. It places skill based gameplay in the backseat and promotes luck of the draw situations.

4. No upgrade based weaponry (again excluding PW/U's)

Our starting weaponry need to set the pace of the game at all times, and cannot be undermined in a so called even starts environment. If the weaponry on the map are just statistically superior versions of our starting weapons, then even starts is just a pointless facade.

5. Have a good Ease of use/Damage output ratio, and avoid making weapons harder to use for the sake of making them harder to use.

Obviously having an EoU/Dmg ratio is important for any weapon sandbox (something Halo 5 blatantly disregards), but there is a realm of "going too far" that is suggested all to often and disregards the environment a player is in. For example, removing all aim assistance is one of these suggestions. Not only are we playing on console with sticks incapable of such accuracy, we have a PC counterpart now where a nerf of like that would do nothing at all. At no point should players be fighting their controllers. We have to remember that we want weapons to be fun to use for all skill levels, not just the high end, so find ways go make a weapon harder to use without hurting how players handle the weapon from a controller standpoint.

All post some more later, but for now some feedback on the AR, BPR, Splinters and Sword would really be great for 343.

I agree that at no point should players be fighting their controller but we've never come even close to having that problem even in CE.The reason most people suggest it is because it's an incredibly easy way to make a really simple part of the game(aiming)have a huge skillgap.

does anyone know if you can use an dvi-to-hdmi adapter for a monitor with no hdmi slot? me and my cousin went to buy one and the bestbuy employee said it could cook his monitor.. is this true? i didnt really believe it but didnt wanna risk it.

I used to use the Amazon Basics HDMI to DVI because I was playing on a DELL with only a DVI input. Worked fine for years with no issues. You just won't get sound.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree that at no point should players be fighting their controller but we've never come even close to having that problem even in CE.The reason most people suggest it is because it's an incredibly easy way to make a really simple part of the game(aiming)have a huge skillgap.

Well, depending on who you ask it's a problem in H5. I can't tell, personally -- I might just be bad, but I feel like I'm not that bad since I don't have issues aiming in other games (but they also likely have more aim assist).

Still, in order for the lack of aim assist to work, they cranked up the bullet magnetism, which has its own host of negatives. Sometimes you just have to look in the general direction of an enemy and pull the trigger and you get kills, which is just as silly as heavy aim assist.

The thing is, Halo CE had decent amount of aim assistance as well. Bullet magnetism was also a thing. Despite this, Halo CE still retains the crown of highest shooting skill gap in the series.

Having at least moderate, noticeable aim assist isn't an issue as far as a console shooter is concerned. It's when developers throw in copious amounts of auto-aim on top of it is where it becomes a problem.

In a high aim assist, no auto-aim based game, players can "feel" the aim assistance but still have to manipulate their aim in order to fully utilize it correctly. It always requires a players input to function and acts as a supplement to the players ability to aim without doing the work for them or forcing them to pay attention to their controller.

Auto-aim on the other hand, just straight up removes any error on the players part. The player can't mess up when the game is literally aiming for them. We might as well revert back to the Perfect Dark/Goldeneye age of console aiming and disregard everything Bungie did to pioneer console aiming.

If I had to choose, I'd take moderate aim assist and no auto aim over Halo 5's approach any day of the week. At least everyone of all skill levels can have fun shooting in that environment.

Well, depending on who you ask it's a problem in H5. I can't tell, personally -- I might just be bad, but I feel like I'm not that bad since I don't have issues aiming in other games (but they also likely have more aim assist).

Still, in order for the lack of aim assist to work, they cranked up the bullet magnetism, which has its own host of negatives. Sometimes you just have to look in the general direction of an enemy and pull the trigger and you get kills, which is just as silly as heavy aim assist.

Just for future reference

There are four types of aim assist in Halo titles: Snapping, Friction, Acceleration, and Magnetism.

Magnetism defines and outlines how far a bullet will "bend" in order to hit an enemy. Bullets and projectiles do not necessarily travel in a straight path; they will curve very slightly in order to hit a target. Different projectiles will experience different curvatures.

Snapping reorients the gun barrels toward enemies whenever a player's reticle are in proximity to their target.

Acceleration makes it so that when the player pegs their aiming stick in one direction the player's reticle will start moving slowly in that direction then pick up speed.

Friction slows the player's turn rate as soon as their reticule passes over an enemy. What it does is that it slows the player's top speed, and then dramatically decrease the rate at which the crosshair will slow down when the player release the stick.

Copied and pasted from halopedia.

Fun fact @@MultiLockOn , my first game of H5 after I installed was a custom game with me and @@Batchford on Regret. The first thing i noticed was how heavy and off the aiming was, the second was how much I got sucked into RRR. The autoaim is still fucking insane in H5 and the lowest in the series bit is a scam

• Upvote (+1) 3

I have mostly played Firefights the last months because every other gameplay is so frustrating.

I have noticed that I JIP far more often the last weeks. I understand the reason behind it but when I join a game in the final battle and 90 second left on the clock I am not that interested to go all in. It is only frustrating.

I find games so fast that I usually back out if I want to mess with my REQs or other stuff and that seems to trigger JIP because I always get it when I start to search for a new game. Because a win or loss in firefight is not a huge deal I think they should set it to the first two rounds. I don´t know if it is possible but tuning the enemies power after number of players would be the best solution.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Warning, wall of text incoming.

Alright, here are my proposed changes for the entire Arena sandbox. I'm going to be making some sweeping changes that are very possible to do in Halo 5. I want to hear Beyonds suggestions. Keep in mind that some of these changes are not my original idea, but I thought they were worth suggesting anyway.

The Magnum:

• 1 sec TtK with 4 shot kill
  • Reduced Auto-aim value
  • Increased RRR
  • Nerf to body shot damage

There's not much that can be said that hasn't already been said in regards towards the Magnum. This new Magnum will set the baseline for the rest of my sandbox changes and recommendations. I realize that there is a subset of people who would rather have a RoF increase, so I'll point out that a damage increase also effects the Gunfighter variant, which would be a 5 shot kill in this setting. In the event we somehow find the 4 Shot Magnum unsuitable for our needs, we can always test the Gunfighter's capabilities instead. For now, these changes are all that is necessary.

The Assault Rifle:

There are currently 2 approaches that I find suitable. One is what this community expects, but I have issues with. And the other being my approach in regards towards Halo 5's overall sandbox balance. Let's take a look at the community approach first.

• Remove ADS accuracy bonus
  • Remove headshot multipliers
  • Perfect TtK should sit around 1.2 seconds

My problem with this change is the SMG already fills the close range bullet hose role, and removing the accuracy from the AR will make the weapon irredeemably redundant, or force a drastic change for the SMG. Another problem I have with this approach is the size of Halo 5's maps need to taken into account, which this does not do. With this change, I doubt the weapon will be utilized for high level play without some form of faster TtK incentive. But if that happens, it'll lean too far on the R/P/S scale than I'd like. If a bullet hose is what we want, then lets considering using the SMG instead, with my retooling suggestions of course. What I'm about to propose for the AR is drastically different from what we expect from automatics in Halo, but hasn't really been attempted before. I implore this community to at least humor the idea and consider its possibilities with all previous biases aside.

• Retain current ADS accuracy and apply it towards hipfire as well
  • Remove headshot multipliers
  • Remove RRR bonus when using ADS
  • Increase weapon magazine size to 40 rounds
  • Perfect TtK should sit at around 1.3 or 1.4 seconds

My approach with the AR is a general jack of all trades, master of none approach. A deadly accurate, but slower killing tool. This new AR can perform reasonably well at most engagement ranges with high accuracy, would be an excellent descope and suppression tool, and retains it's overall ease of use, while no longer being overwhelming. On the high end of play, the overall accuracy of the weapon would make it a valuable, useful tool, while its ease of use can still be enjoyed as a beginners weapon. This approach accounts for the engagement distances and the redundancy issue.

The SMG

• Remove Headshot multipliers
  • Remove ADS accuracy bonus
  • Reduce TtK to around 1 to 1.2 seconds
  • Can now slowdown sprinting players similar to how Halo 4 slowed players and knock players out of clamboring

Our new SMG gets toned down a notch, but is now the defacto close range hose weapon, with a new added utility of slightly counteracting mobility. I felt the TtK adjustment would make the weapon unappealing to pick up, but the ability to nullify a players escape routes would give this weapon a necessary boost. Of course, if we are considering it as a new starting weapon, the slowdown effect could be removed. 

Energy Sword

• Remove speed boost benefit
  • Severely reduce Auto Aim values
  • Retain lunge distances
  • Normal melee's are 2 hits
  • Heavy lunge attack kills in 1 hit
  • Fast swap to time

This new sword removes the problematic speed boost, and gives it a new role as a supplementary melee back up weapon. The changes to auto aim allow room for counterplay by strafing or thrusting out of the way, while the lunge distance and faster swap to time makes the weapon stay very deadly in the right hands in the right situations.

Brute Plasma Rifle

• Reduced projectile speed

Expecting a long winded response? The only issue with this weapon is it just too effective at mid range. Toning down the projectile speed will allow the BPR to retain it's shield stripping quality, while also giving a little more wiggle room for error as the engagement distances increase.

Sniper Rifle

• Remove auto aim across the board
  • Retain aim assist values

Yet again, a simple change that makes all the difference in the world. Sniping will require more effort and will no longer be overbearing to deal with.

Splinter Grenades

• Increased arm time to 2 seconds

The main issue with splinters has been players throwing them at point blank range for very easy and outright cheap kills. Increasing the arm time will stop this from happening, while still retaining all the splinters gameplay effects as an area denial tool.

Storm Rifle

• Return of Reach's continuous fire mechanic
  • Shots get progressively stronger as the fire rate slows down and accuracy goes up
  • Longer shot window til it reaches an overheated state
  • Drastically altered damage profiles for alternate fire rates
  • TtK should sit around 1.1 to 1.2 seconds

or

• Now disables Thruster, Ground Pound and Stabilizer use
  • TtK around 1.2 seconds
  • Increased shot window before overheating

I have 2 suggestions for this much hated weapon. The BPR already fills our general shield stripping needs, and the SMG fills the bullet hose role, so this weapon needs a major overhaul if we want to see it in competitive play without having an aneurism. Either one would be great, but personally I lean towards the former. But being able to nullify some mobility mechanics and acting as a counterpart for the newly retooled pick up SMG would definitely be interesting.

The Carbine

• Now provides a very small damage over time effect that stops shields and health from recharging for 2 more additional seconds (only 1 point of damage per second is necessary to achieve this)
  • Retain headshot modifier
  • Reduced perfect TtK to around 1.4 seconds
  • Provides an onscreen effect indication
  • 2 clip limit

This newly minted Carbine now fills an interesting suppression role that has never been attempted in Halo before (well MAYBE the Needler with delayed explosions). This will definitely separate it from the rest of the rifles and make it an interesting setup and team oriented weapon. It will especially be interesting in Halo 5's fast reset engagement rate environment.

The Shotgun

This weapon is going to be a little trickier, because I feel Halo 5 has brought some problems to the table for this weapon. On one hand, the increase of our map sizes has forced the shotgun to have a far reaching one hit range that would be considered inappropriate for its place in the sandbox. This has cost it its ammunition reserves and has made it flat out broken on close quarters maps. But on the other hand, the weapon needs some much needed viability and consistency. Some might say the shotgun performs decent enough for Halo 5, but I think I have a solution to making the weapon viable for the larger maps while toning down it's one hit kill range:

https://youtu.be/qCzzw0Y16uo?t=1s

For the too long, didn't watch, Black Ops 3 uses an interesting shotgun damage system that completely solves the consistency issues of shotguns. Instead of every pellet providing a static damage ( for example with a target with 100 health, 15+15+15+15+15+15+15 ect... with each number representing a pellet and it's respective damage value) their new system gives a baseline damage for the first pellet to land with each additional pellet providing a significantly smaller damage bonus ( example with a target with 100 health, 70+5+5+5+5+5+5+5). Because of this baseline damage, shotguns gained a newfound consistency by giving them guaranteed kills after a certain number of shots. 

• Apply new damage system with respect towards our current pellet count
  • The Shotgun now has a 1 hit- 2 hit- and 3 hit range
  • 1 hit kill ranged significantly reduced to at least half it's current value
  • 2 hit kill range fills that half
  • Extend the maximum range of the Shotgun and make that it's 3 hit range
  • Buff magazine size to 6 from 5
  • 2 hit TtK should be around 1.2 seconds

With this new shotgun in place, we've improved it's long range viability while toning down its "checkmate" nature. I think this is a win-win setup.

There are a few more weapons to address, but I'll add them a little later.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You guys have a ton of really over the top definitions. Let's just stick to bullet magnetism being bullet magnetism, and auto aim being anything to actually helps you keep your reticle over the enemy. I've always used aim assistance as a broader overarching term for both of these but I get there's no official definition or anything.

The next person I see say Halo 5 has low aa is getting disemboweled. It probably has more than any shooter I've played in my life.

I'd rather have miniscule bullet magnetism and lean more heavily on auto aim helping move my reticle because at least I know where my shots are going and not bending. If you miss by an inch, so be it. I know it's not that black and white but it's like impossible to have those near miss sniper shots go by your head anymore. If it's a trains width you're dead, that's annoying.

Just move the reticle and keep the magnetism as low as it can reasonably be I say. I think that's more in line with how CE handled it until you got into the really long ranges.

Halo 5 was the second fps I ever played,halo CE on PC being the first.First group of games I played afterwards was MCC.The difference was very obvious.The pistol is actually good though they need to reduce the bullet magnetism alot,and auto aim a bit.The br........ I've never seen another gun in a fps with so much auto aim.The bullet magnetism is pretty bad too.The dmr has copious amounts overall but it's not br bad.I don't remember the carbine.

I want to know what h5 would play like if there was no bullet magnetism whatsoever.  Just remove it entirely and see what happens.

Halo 5 was the second fps I ever played,halo CE on PC being the first.First group of games I played afterwards was MCC.The difference was very obvious.The pistol is actually good though they need to reduce the bullet magnetism alot,and auto aim a bit.The br........ I've never seen another gun in a fps with so much auto aim.The bullet magnetism is pretty bad too.The dmr has copious amounts overall but it's not br bad.I don't remember the carbine.

Are you arguing that the magnum needs less aim assist (as in, reticle slowing down when red, or what you're defining as "friction")? I totally agree it needs less magnetism, but I feel like the aim assist doesn't need to be lowered -- it needs to be improved. Every so often I get games where my reticle tracks people a little too much, but there are more cases where I feel like the aim assist either gets in the way (like when two enemies overlap) or actively inhibits me by a) slowing down too much compared to my sensitivity, or b) getting stuck behind/in front of/above enemies. There are also a lot of circumstances where I feel like I don't get any aa at all when I should. It's a very uneven experience.

When I play CE I don't get that feeling. The aa actually feels stickier in CE than H5 for me, and it is consistent.

This is all regarding the magnum specifically, and not the rifles.

To be completely honest though, the Brute Plasma does not only strip shields, it fucking melts them instantly.

Like all things in this game, it does what its supposed to, but it does it too fucking well.

Wrong

It's fine

The pistol is just too weak.

Does anyone have a link to that big post Josh Holmes made here defending sprint and immersion?

Does anyone have a link to that big post Josh Holmes made here defending sprint and immersion?

OMG @@Oriiii is Cooper. It all makes sense now. #FreeOriiii  ??   #Cooperhasbeenfreedunderoriiiialias