CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Anybody sitting on any cool ideas for niche weapons?

Well I have got a few but but most are reworks of old weapons.

I have not yet posted this new Needler idea though:

I would basically make the Needler perform similar to how the grunts used it in the HCE campaign.

It would fire very slowly (similar to the H5 Light Rifle), with the same slow moving tracking projectiles, but I would buff it so that it does a little more damage and most of all, give it the ability to still track targets after ricocheting shots around corners, similar to the H5 Scattershot but with much more range.

The shots would behave more like HCE and H2 where the needle shot hits you doing a small amount of damage, and then explodes a moment after for more reasonable damage.

This new Needler would be particularly effective at flushing people out of cover and maintaining pressure and suppression without necessarily killing them.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Gun that doesn't even do damage. Just pushes things around. Could be used for jumping high, pushing yourself off walls to strafe, "nading" weapons, pushing enemies away, redirecting or blowing back things like brute shot or rocket projectiles, blah blah

A Lucio booper in Halo?  Could be interesting. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Gun that doesn't even do damage. Just pushes things around. Could be used for jumping high, pushing yourself off walls to strafe, "nading" weapons, pushing enemies away, redirecting or blowing back things like brute shot or rocket projectiles, blah blah

I had a REALLY similar idea, except it was capable of killing at close range if you charged it up. But yeah it was mostly just a "Force Push" gun. Kinda like the Impact Hammer from UT3, except with a little more utility because it can hit without physically touching the object, and you don't HAVE to have it charged up to get some use out of it (but it would help). Like you could aim at your feet and fire and it'd be like a rocket jump but without the damage. Or you could deflect nades and rockets with a well timed shot. It'd need a slow rate of fire though.

What about guns where you lose the ability to throw grenades in exchange for an alt fire?

Well I have got a few but but most are reworks of old weapons.

I have not yet posted this new Needler idea though:

I would basically make the Needler perform similar to how the grunts used it in the HCE campaign.

It would fire very slowly (similar to the H5 Light Rifle), with the same slow moving tracking projectiles, but I would buff it so that it does a little more damage and most of all, give it the ability to still track targets after ricocheting shots around corners, similar to the H5 Scattershot but with much more range.

The shots would behave more like HCE and H2 where the needle shot hits you doing a small amount of damage, and then explodes a moment after for more reasonable damage.

This new Needler would be particularly effective at flushing people out of cover and maintaining pressure and suppression without necessarily killing them.

That'd be pretty cool. I asked @@Devilman if there is any way he could remove the firing sound from the H1 Needler entirely so that it was totally silent. I feel like that alone would at least make the weapon plausible with a perfect flank or by prefiring a corner/doorway.

I feel like a stealthy spam weapon would be pretty unique. I just really want the H1 Needler to have some use because that supercombine animation is BY FAR the coolest in the series.

why not dupstep gun?        (\/) (°,,,°) (\/) 

Halo's version could just make near by enemies thrust bump out of control. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Seriously though, what about a automatic projectile gun that ricochets off walls.  Even at extremely acute angles. Lower damage output than regular autos of course, would be niche for putting fire on people camping or hiding without pushing in. Or even punishing people trying to evade combat around corners. 

Or maybe a hard to use slow firing projectile gun that stuns victims for a brief moment(similar to CE fall damage) and does about half life damage.

• Upvote (+1) 1

[Youtube]

IT  JUST   DOESN'T   FEEL   LIKE   HALO.  

Well said Favyn

Comment from youtube:

"If every game released since halo3 had the same mechanics then it would have become extremely stale."

I'm Triggered

• Upvote (+1) 3

If Halo 3 was on PC, the world would be in a better place. There would be no terrorism, cable would be cheaper, and Suicide Squad would have been good. But alas, here we are...

• Upvote (+1) 6

If Halo 3 was on PC, the world would be in a better place. There would be no terrorism, cable would be cheaper, and Suicide Squad would have been good. But alas, here we are...

H3A XBOX PLAY ANYWHERE

M$ CURES WORLD CANCER PEACE WITH EGREGEOUS BR SPREADING BUBBLE SHIELDS AND HEALTH REGEN

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3A XBOX PLAY ANYWHERE

M$ CURES WORLD CANCER PEACE WITH EGREGEOUS BR SPREADING BUBBLE SHIELDS AND HEALTH REGEN

343 is developing it. Must play Halo 6 to access H3 file share. Only 10 maps for Forge and that doesn't include Foundry or Sandbox.

6 months later. 343: "I guess no one is playing Halo 3 on PC because they don't want to play classic Halo anymore."

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think I've been pretty clear in the past that I don't think Halo 5 is good. I despise it. I find its map design, sandbox utterly boring. Gameplay completely unappealing to me personally. And most of the other features such as warzone, campaign, theater either complete garbage or totally broken. 

I just cant possibly reiterate these things in every video. 

I just acknowledged that some might enjoy it, clearly some do.

Few being the the opertive word

What, you didn't say "few"?

Oh, well go fuck yourself.

Good vid, we need to have a Lobby again sometime, the banter was wonderful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think I've been pretty clear in the past that I don't think Halo 5 is good. I despise it. I find its map design, sandbox utterly boring. Gameplay completely unappealing to me personally. And most of the other features such as warzone, campaign, theater either complete garbage or totally broken. 

I just cant possibly reiterate these things in every video. 

I just acknowledged that some might enjoy it, clearly some do. 

I'm generally responding to the broader neutral-to-positive sentiment towards the way the game plays on a core level. I agree with what you said in your video, for the most part (you made it pretty clear you hate the game anyway, lol). People were so focused on all of the other blatantly obvious failings of the game at launch, that fundamental elements of their game design have effectively gotten a pass outside of, generally, the usual sectors of the remaining (dwindling) fanbase that 343 likes to ignore (the 11%, if you will). I would attribute some of that to the reluctance of some people who really don't like the current direction to really call it out for what it is (trash), instead trying to soften the blow with the suggestion that distance from the series formula would make things better. It's not that 343 is making shitty games. We just "prefer the old formula."

Honestly, I would suggest the opposite: even fewer people would care to find the positives of 343's derivative game design if it wasn't associated with an established, beloved franchise like Halo. Even here, in a community dedicated to a sector of Halo 343 has consistently underserved, you have people so effectively worn down by the apparent perception from 343 that their core gameplay was a huge success (requiring only trivial at best balance changes in well over a year) that now "modified radar testing 16 months after launch for maybe competitive play sometime if 343 feels like it" is exciting progress. Making the best out of a game very few people care about, because it's still Halo and some small hope still remains that 343 will stop going out of their way to distance themselves from the formula that gave them this fanbase to shrink to begin with.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'm really tired of the "Halo 5 may not be a good Halo game, but it's a great FPS" argument. It's not. Its problems don't exist solely in comparison to the original formula. They don't deserve credit for a hacked together, self-contradicting Frankenstein monster simultaneously worse than classic Halo and modern, sci-fi gimmick shooters.

An FPS where you can't even aim without getting motion sickness is now a "great FPS". LUL. Good one. Drones gonna drone I guess. Must be the same people that say "MCC works for me guise" at every given opportunity.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm really tired of the "Halo 5 may not be a good Halo game, but it's a great FPS" argument. It's not. Its problems don't exist solely in comparison to the original formula. They don't deserve credit for a hacked together, self-contradicting Frankenstein monster simultaneously worse than classic Halo and modern, sci-fi gimmick shooters.

Games that can't accomplish what their franchises were originally designed for are just second-rate versions of other games.

Yeah I had 4 games of proving grounds , I was all excited to test it but then proceeded to get my shit pushed in voilently. Checked waypoint after and was playing full teams of guys who previously ranked champ in Arena and slayer. Ive been hesitant to go back in and finish my placements.

Everyone is low right now. I needed a team of four just to get into onyx. Usually I can just grind it out but not in that playlist as it is.

What ever happened to the shotgun's 12 shell capacity?

When they decided to make it OP relative to the rest of the sandbox, instead of NOT doing that, they just decided to let it murder 6 less people.

• Upvote (+1) 4

When they decided to make it OP relative to the rest of the sandbox, instead of NOT doing that, they just decided to let it murder 6 less people.

I love that you recognise that less ammo isn't a nerf. I've seen so many comments say things like "oh if they just reduced the ammo of the railgun/rocket/whatever it'll be better" as if that makes the gun less bullshit.

It just means you can kill less people.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's just matchmaking, period.

Well now that radar gives less information communication is even more important, so i can see how a to4 has more advantages now than in regular Arena.

That'd be pretty cool. I asked @@Devilman if there is any way he could remove the firing sound from the H1 Needler entirely so that it was totally silent. I feel like that alone would at least make the weapon plausible with a perfect flank or by prefiring a corner/doorway.

I feel like a stealthy spam weapon would be pretty unique. I just really want the H1 Needler to have some use because that supercombine animation is BY FAR the coolest in the series.

I agree that the H1 Needler should definitely actually be useful, but I am not sure that it fits the definition of stealth with all the explosions.

It does have a nice spot as an ambush weapon in later Halo games though.

I like the idea of taking that in combination with the ability to pressure people around corners to make it more versatile at the cost of some lethality.

However, if you want a stealth weapon, how about the Silenced SMG?

Like literally. Take the HCE AR and reskin it as a Silenced SMG and make it super quiet. Also give it perfect semi-auto Tap-firing accuracy to make clean-ups and such more reliable and versatile but it would still be just as laughably inaccurate as the HCE AR when sprayed full auto.

This Silenced SMG would then be a map pickup and the actual AR would be overhauled as a spawn weapon.

Seriously though, what about a automatic projectile gun that ricochets off walls. Even at extremely acute angles. Lower damage output than regular autos of course, would be niche for putting fire on people camping or hiding without pushing in. Or even punishing people trying to evade combat around corners.

Or maybe a hard to use slow firing projectile gun that stuns victims for a brief moment(similar to CE fall damage) and does about half life damage.

How about the Needler? I think that it could be easily reworked to behave like this since that is almost how the grunts used it in the HCE campaign.

I posted my suggestion a handful of posts back.