CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm sure I'm the 100th person to complain about ranks this week, but ten surprisingly fun games of Proving Grounds later, I don't think I'll be playing it again. It's just not worth the time it would take to grind up for a chance at decent games. :( Sorry if this isn't the right thread.

0XLTJ76.jpg

I'm sure I'm the 100th person to complain about ranks this week, but ten surprisingly fun games of Proving Grounds later, I don't think I'll be playing it again. It's just not worth the time it would take to grind up for a chance at decent games. :( Sorry if this isn't the right thread.

0XLTJ76.jpg

I mean that's how Halo 5 ranks work. It's a grind to get from the lower ranks after placements to the rank you think you deserve. It's not different than the first 49 ranks of Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I mean, crouch really isn't skillful, and is mostly only useful for crouch-strafing and the occasional crouch jump anymore.

I didn't mean that I didn't like the change, I fully understand the purpose and it'll definitely be better for competitive. But for me, its going to be a major change for me to adapt to players moving so fast while staying off radar, because I relied on it too much

I see what you mean. I've grown use to the radar over the years as well. It'll take some getting used to. but it really is liberating.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@-DeucEy-, I agree with everything you said, except maybe H2's ranking system. I think our current ranking system has the potential to be much better than a 1-50 system with a few tweaks (PARTY RESTRICTIONS).

Beyond what you said, I want the pace and game feel of H1 to come back.

I want a skillful, deadly utility weapon that can compete against power weapons.

I want fast perfect killtimes and long average killtimes.

With that in place, we can up the pace of the game by having powerups and power weapons on 1 and 2 minute static timers.

And on that same vein, I want both camo and OS on every map again, or any two different powerups.

I want a varied sandbox where every weapon feels unique and viable, and actually take some talent to use optimally. Picking which weapons to carry should be an interesting and difficult choice.

I want a fast base movement speed on smaller maps.

I want cool quirks like sharing powerups and nading weapons and powerups back.

I dont want any animations that prevent shooting, like the powerup pickup animation. Powerups should be instant.

I want total control of teammate spawns again. 2v2 should always use the H1 system with clearer UI to teach players how to spawn. When your teammate is dead it should show you where you're going to spawn him with a little green circle on the ground. The only change I would make is to make randoms deliberately placed small points on the map instead of arbitrary zones where no spawns are within range. That way map designers can ensure proper risk/reward when giving randoms. They'd look like the normal green spawn icon except they'd be pink and you could see them from any range as long as your teammate was dead and you had LoS on the point.

Any higher player counts should try to spawn you centrally between all your teammates regardless of distance, context or danger. This would drastically shape the meta of how teams position themselves, and it would be intuitive with the right UI showing you where incoming spawners will spawn as you're currently positioned. You would just need to design exceptions built into the map like randoms. Only put a few randoms on the map and put them in deliberate, vulnerable spots, but if any teammate is standing in one when another teammate spawns, the spawner can spawn anywhere. This would of course all be contingent on clear UI instructing the player where to stand when teammates are spawning, and what happens when you stand there. A good example of a good spot to put a random would be SMG spawn in yard on Plaza. If you have a dead teammate and you stand on the random, you get a line of text at the bottom of your screen that says "*gamertag* will respawn in a random location in X seconds". Randoms would be crucial for breaking spawn traps and properly spreading out your team. None of this would apply in CTF or Assault though. (Edit: @@Teapot @@Cujjer, Im curious about your thoughts on this idea to adapt H1's spawn system to higher player counts. This is the first post of two I'd like you to see.)

Anyways, my computer is running super slow and i need to go to bed. I could go on for a while...

• Upvote (+1) 7

I mean that's how Halo 5 ranks work. It's a grind to get from the lower ranks after placements to the rank you think you deserve. It's not different than the first 49 ranks of Halo 3.

Every month though ? Ive been quite content at low diamond the last 2 seasons. But after getting ranked low gold again im really not feeling any incentive to play anymore.

Every month though ? Ive been quite content at low diamond the last 2 seasons. But after getting ranked low gold again im really not feeling any incentive to play anymore.

Looks like it's two months now, but yeah.

@@-DeucEy-, I agree with everything you said, except maybe H2's ranking system. I think our current ranking system has the potential to be much better than a 1-50 system with a few tweaks (PARTY RESTRICTIONS).

Most definitely agree with a lot of the list here.

I actually don't mind the ranking system in Halo 5 that much, my main issue with the ranking system when it released was the fact that it felt like almost anyone can get carried to Onyx and I ended up getting stuck with these horrible players on my team game after game, because they couldn't get knocked out of that division. I'm not sure if I was dreaming or not (for reference, I haven't touched Halo 5 in almost half a year at this point) but wasn't there an update that allows people to get knocked out now? If so, then I wouldn't mind either or.

I will say if there's any aspect of Halo I would have a preference over, simply because of nostalgia, it would be the ranking system. Wasn't broke, didn't see a reason to fix it. A lot of people will argue "Yeah but people boost!" Um.. Okay? Players will attempt to do that regardless of the ranking system lol. Furthermore, with the 1-50 system players that get to that skill rating by boosting with stronger players, will simply get their asses kicked back down to where they were if they attempt to play. Halo 5 I feel is a bit too generous with wins and losses.

Edit: A couple things on that list, I will say as an avid CE player myself, the sharing power ups thing is kind of cheap haha. It's one thing to deal with someone with an OS, but having to deal with multiple people with power-ups is a pain in the ass lol. I do like the spawning idea though. I feel like a lot of casuals would have an extremely tough time trying to transition to that if they started in anything Halo 2 and forward though.

I actually don't mind the ranking system in Halo 5 that much, my main issue with the ranking system when it released was the fact that it felt like almost anyone can get carried to Onyx and I ended up getting stuck with these horrible players on my team game after game, because they couldn't get knocked out of that division. I'm not sure if I was dreaming or not (for reference, I haven't touched Halo 5 in almost half a year at this point) but wasn't there an update that allows people to get knocked out now? If so, then I wouldn't mind either or.

I will say if there's any aspect of Halo I would have a preference over, simply because of nostalgia, it would be the ranking system. Wasn't broke, didn't see a reason to fix it. A lot of people will argue "Yeah but people boost!" Um.. Okay? Players will attempt to do that regardless of the ranking system lol. Furthermore, with the 1-50 system players that get to that skill rating by boosting with stronger players, will simply get their asses kicked back down to where they were if they attempt to play. Halo 5 I feel is a bit too generous with wins and losses.

You can drop between divisions now, yeah.

re: 1-50. I think there's a reason that other games never really did anything like it, instead most adapted a form of what we see in Halo 5. What those reasons are, I dunno but it must have had many flaws if it wasn't a simple copy & paste and add when needed.

You can drop between divisions now, yeah.

re: 1-50. I think there's a reason that other games never really did anything like it, instead most adapted a form of what we see in Halo 5. What those reasons are, I dunno but it must have had many flaws if it wasn't a simple copy & paste and add when needed.

Ah okay. I'm not really deterred either way about the ranking system as long as the matchmaking system works properly (party restrictions -- my second bullet point) and people can get knocked out of the rank if they're not performing. The 1-50 was at least unique as far as rankings go, but nevertheless, it's one of the low-hanging fruit if the matchmaking is where it needs to be.

Edit: A couple things on that list, I will say as an avid CE player myself, the sharing power ups thing is kind of cheap haha. It's one thing to deal with someone with an OS, but having to deal with multiple people with power-ups is a pain in the ass lol. I do like the spawning idea though. I feel like a lot of casuals would have an extremely tough time trying to transition to that if they started in anything Halo 2 and forward though.

It's a monumental effort to snip quotes on mobile, so sorry everyone. Sharing powerups has SO much risk/reward though the if both teams are timing. Stuffing two people onto the most contested part of the map is begging to get naded, as well as forfeiting every other item (one of my favorite parts of static timers is having to make choices on what to go for). But when you capitalize on the opportunity on the fly it feels so rewarding!

And yeah the spawning idea would absolutely be predicated on an outstanding and intuitive UI to teach players how to manage it. It'd be horrible otherwise. In fact, there should probably be a tutorial for it that is mandatory to complete before playing ranked.

I always liked the "contain and punish" meta of 4v4 TS in H1. I like how both teams try to surround one another and trap them in a bad spawn. But it's let down by the fact that you spawn on a single living teammate chosen at random instead of an average of your entire team's position. It's also unfortunate that all living players need to be in a random for the spawner to get a random spawn. If only a single player needed to be in a random that would solve the issue. Then all we need are deliberately placed randoms with high risk/reward.

And a higher score limit. This spawn system needs to be played to 100 in 4v4. You will invariably need to sacrifice a death to random out of a trap that could cost you 5-10 deaths, and the score limit needs to allow room for that like 2v2 CE does. The deaths will come fast and frequent when you pair this system with a strong utility weapon and good sandbox. 50 kills in 4v4 H1 goes way too quick to fully develop and adjust before it's over.

(Edit: @@Teapot @@Cujjer, here's the second post with a little more elaboration.)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Whenever someone brings up the "Halo needed to evolve" argument all you need to is cite the massive decrease in population for every Halo game post H3 and we also have the COD IW as a prime example of that being factually wrong since it got over one million dislikes and was basically universally hated and has forced the developers to bring back classic COD.

There's a reason why the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" exists.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Whenever someone brings up the "Halo needed to evolve" argument all you need to is cite the massive decrease in population for every Halo game post H3 and we also have the COD IW as a prime example of that being factually wrong since it got over one million dislikes and was basically universally hated and has forced the developers to bring back classic COD.

Psh

Everyone knows halo's population decline was caused by solar flares. H5 is perfect git Gud and maybe one day you can match me in gold division and il show you how good it is.

• Upvote (+1) 6

This really means nothing. I'm sure many people who didn't give care disliked just to make it #2 on Youtube. The real importance is the anger from the COD community.

Soo imagine this. What if they remade this trailer 

just to announce halo 3 anniversary with halo 6 beta

This really means nothing. I'm sure many people who didn't give care disliked just to make it #2 on Youtube. The real importance is the anger from the COD community.

Exactly. It's kinda nice to see other communities dealing with what we are dealing with. Maybe, just maybe, if COD goes back to traditional gameplay, and is successful, it'll say something to 343. But i'm sure that's a little too optimistic of me to say.

Exactly. It's kinda nice to see other communities dealing with what we are dealing with. Maybe, just maybe, if COD goes back to traditional gameplay, and is successful, it'll say something to 343. But i'm sure that's a little too optimistic of me to say.

I'm pretty sure COD 2017 will be boots on the ground. 

I don't know if I'd say other communities really are going through what halo is going through. Sure CoD is having a fallout but even then their still producing top ten games that generally stay there, I mean they had 3 of them in the top ten list a while back. CoD isn't going through drastic changes like halo has, it's really been more of a slow progression where it's minimal harm. They're not losing MILLIONS like halo has been and really I don't think they produce disfunctional games like 343. I don't play to much CoD, but I don't hear people comment on bugs and glitches, removal of features, or one game being drastically different than the other. CoD has more stability to it. Correct me if I'm wrong on CoDs status, but a declining CoD is still doing 10x better than halo right now.

Battlefield is also the same way although I'm not so sure their dropping like CoD is.

Overwatch has the benefit of being a brand new ip not having to live up to previous iterations (will be interesting to see how they progress it if they do launch sequels). It also showed older mechanics can work in today's age.

Doom while not multiplayer popular did bring back that doom feeling to a lot of players campaign wise. It too showed "outdated mechanics" as some like to think can still very well work in today's age.

Gears of war is also being brought back to its classic roots compared to what judgement did. I see their issues as minor when you compare their issues to ours in halo.

343 has had 2 games so far fallout out more than the previous iterations (as well as fuck up remasters), based on how they've treated halo 5 I won't be suprised to see it continue, especially when you have them saying they're wanting to go off halo 5s setup and refine it. I can't be optimistic as I can't stand the continuation of abilities being forced into the game, and the continuation of features being removed or outright downgraded. There's also the big issue of me trusting them to make a first person shooter if they can't even get aiming down of all things. What the hell was wrong with how CE-4 did it that they saw the need to change it?

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'm pretty sure COD 2017 will be boots on the ground. 

It is.

No poll was ever taken with top seeded pros. It has not been a split decision whatsoever either.

God DAMN this gave me such a justice boner man  :salt:  :salt:

• Upvote (+1) 5

snip

Cod being cross platform definitely helps maintain a high position, as well as it simply being more "accessible" than halo for new players. 

I wouldn't say the changes are causing minimal harm. Compare Blops 2 to Infinite Warfare and you have 2 drastically different games. Such as weapon variants that are only accessible from supply drops, loadout characters that have a "rewind" feature and active camo. Just visit Infinite Warfare on reddit and you can see people talking about the problems.

As for what was wrong with CE-4, nothing, as far as we're concerned. And this might not have anything to do with it, but Halo 4 launched during the "height" of COD, if you will. Maybe they saw the success of COD, and tried to cash in on their success.