CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Personally i think ffa SHOULD have it too, because that mode is also a feature of halo esports. I think it would be a fairly easy pill to swallow if there was a rumble pit playlist in social to coincide with the change.

Slayer I'm torn on. The gametype definitely needs it (badly) - but Slayer with radar has always been the most popular ranked playlist among casual-core users. I think changing the radar here would cause more negative blowback than anywhere else. I think simply putting the competitively viable slayer maps in the Champion's Arena playlist (while keeping Team slayer as is) would be the compromise that keeps most of the playerbase satisfied.

mlg ffa had radar

• Upvote (+1) 2

So this new radar definitely needs to stay- but it probably needs to be in the competitive playlist only

Ive seen a number of casuals who actually went in with an open mind, And came out enjoying the new freedom.

But most either felt like it "made crouch useless", empowered cheap kills (oh the irony) , or simply stayed too far away from the halo experience they've come to enjoy. And you know what they say, the e customer is always right (even if they are wrong)

I even saw one guy say he understands why this change is good as its more rewarding for skill and awareness, and he's happy that more competitive players might get this option, but he doesn't feel like bothering with that. He just wants to play like he's been playing. Fair enough.

For the sake of not alienating the few core players we have left, i think after world's, team arena should keep the existing radar and get all of the other objective gametypes back (essentially making it a ranked team skirmish).

And they should make another playlist called Champion's Arena or something. It should only have hcs gametypes and the new radar. It should also have much higher payouts so that core users can be rewarded for stepping out of their comfort zones- keeping the playlists population high.

One other thing ive noticed is their are a number of casuals who agree that autos are OP and they are using this playtest as further evidence. They mention that with the mag, they can't outplay a person who spotted them first so everyone ends up running with ARs. Its long past time to nerf autos. Hell just remove all magnetism from them.

I can agree, the radar isn't all that bad. But it definitely needs to stay out of BTB and WZ. If it came to these modes, vehicles would become even more irrelevant than they are now.

Autos definitely need a nerf if we are keeping this radar though. Hardly any magnum/precision usage in the lower ranks because autos are so much easier to use, especially with this new radar allowing you to move so fast unnoticed

It definitely bothers me that crouch is less of a useful mechanic now, but I think that the new sensor is definitely better for competitive than the distraction it was before.

I wouldn't support keeping the no radar playlist separate from team arena. Team arena is supposed to be the most competitive gametypes halo 5 can offer. Because 343 decided to ignore that until now is not our problem and team arena should reflect what it was advertised to be. Plus I don't want a population split in the premier playlist.

If team arena is going to have this new radar and nothing else is than this stupid "universal settings" garbage is finally dead.

No reason to keep the AR as a spawn weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If team arena is going to have this new radar and nothing else is than this stupid "universal settings" garbage is finally dead.

No reason to keep the AR as a spawn weapon.

"For next seasons update, we are proud to announce Storm Rifle and Magnum starts!"

If Halo truly wants to grow, they need to stop releasing new multiplayer components every 2 or 3 years, that is not the model for success anymore. They need to stick to one MP and build upon it for years, like every relevant shooter does nowadays except for CoD. Look at CSGO, LoL, Dota, OW, etc... these games are not going anywhere, they are constantly being built on. Obviously it would be nice if they don't have a bunch of shit like sprint and garbage maps and a broken aiming system, but I think that is how halo needs to do it.

just played a halo 5 arena game for the first time in 7 months and when i look around i randomly get stuck into "slow turn" wtf. i know it's not my controller.

If Halo truly wants to grow, they need to stop releasing new multiplayer components every 2 or 3 years, that is not the model for success anymore. They need to stick to one MP and build upon it for years, like every relevant shooter does nowadays except for CoD. Look at CSGO, LoL, Dota, OW, etc... these games are not going anywhere, they are constantly being built on. Obviously it would be nice if they don't have a bunch of shit like sprint and garbage maps and a broken aiming system, but I think that is how halo needs to do it.

Frank O Connor confirmed that the halo 5 mp will be the base for future halo games

Asked the art director, Jeremy Cook, why HW2 uses the new Forerunner art direction for the Ark.

(@@MultiLockOn since you're a level designer, do any of these terms look familiar to you?)

Also asked him if we would ever see the return of the classic Forerunner style along with the new stuff in future games, though there's no answer for that one yet.

Edit: Got an answer.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Asked the art director, Jeremy Cook, why HW2 uses the new Forerunner art direction for the Ark.

https://twitter.com/JeremyCook3D/status/841036803822014464?s=09

(@@MultiLockOn since you're a level designer, do any of these terms look familiar to you?)

Also asked him if we would ever see the return of the classic Forerunner style along with the new stuff in future games, though there's no answer for that one yet.

Edit: Got an answer.

https://twitter.com/JeremyCook3D/status/841059478510415872?s=09

Honestly sounds like a bunch on nonsense to me.

"Closer connection to recent games" okay sure fine it's consistent with their other games.

"More options with map layout" I can't even imagine when this would be true. What part of any map wouldn't make sense with the old forerunner theme, basically saying the art team isn't creative enough to apply the classic theme in all situations

"Visual interest" nah lol

"Path language" basically how your art tells people what is playable. You could show a path by putting lights over it, or making the floors a different color than the walls, by simplifying details to make it catch your eye (Bungie called this white space, kinda like how you know where to go on silent cartographer because they made dirt paths among the grass). The irony here is that the new forerunner art is way more complicated and busy and difficult to interpret.

Looks like he just spouted random nonsense to me.

• Upvote (+1) 8

"Closer connection to recent games" okay sure fine it's consistent with their other games.

"More options with map layout" I can't even imagine when this would be true. What part of any map wouldn't make sense with the old forerunner theme, basically saying the art team isn't creative enough to apply the classic theme in all situations

"Path language" basically how your art tells people what is playable. You could show a path by putting lights over it, or making the floors a different color than the walls, by simplifying details to make it catch your eye (Bungie called this white space, kinda like how you know where to go on silent cartographer because they made dirt paths among the grass). The irony here is that the new forerunner art is way more complicated and busy and difficult to interpret.

I concur

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reminded me of this

• Upvote (+1) 5

Im watching the lcq right now. Loads of ar..but what's even worse..fucking silenced ar...

I can agree, the radar isn't all that bad. But it definitely needs to stay out of BTB and WZ. If it came to these modes, vehicles would become even more irrelevant than they are now.

Autos definitely need a nerf if we are keeping this radar though. Hardly any magnum/precision usage in the lower ranks because autos are so much easier to use, especially with this new radar allowing you to move so fast unnoticed

It definitely bothers me that crouch is less of a useful mechanic now, but I think that the new sensor is definitely better for competitive than the distraction it was before.

I don't feel like crouch was ever really a inherently useful mechanic, strategically

It was artificially given utility by making it the only way to stay off radar. And there's absolutely nothing skillful about it

Crouch really should be about dodging shots and getting behind cover. It also adds some stability to some guns.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Crouching still provides options to strafing, jumping and adjusting your visible profile. I fail to see this so called "uselessness" I've been hearing about.

• Upvote (+1) 2

quote from nerd3 latest news video.

"fans that are critical of a thing, and know where it succeeds and fails, they make good shit"

I reckon we could make an excellent Halo game if we new how to code etc.

We already have MultilockOn for maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have to ask, what can I do with my settings to best mitigate H5's horrible aiming? I can never find a setting to settle on. It never feels right

Your not alone, I too struggle with this. 

Plays Halo for 1-2 hours, switch to Destiny = Aims like god crushes in PvP

Plays Halo for 1-2 hours, switch to COD = Aims like god, still gets wrecked because of connection

Plays any game thats not Halo 5 for 1-2 minutes, switches to Halo = Aims like trash

Why are so many people's responses to liking old Halo games "It's just nostalgia"? It's such a cop out answer and just makes me think the person on the other end is either really dumb and can't formulate an argument or that they're under 12 years old. Anyway, doesn't nostalgia mean looking back fondly on something? How does that make our opinions invalid? Or does the word now simply mean "You're opinion on the game is based from when you were younger and is wrong because your young self can't understand objectively bad things about it."?

likewut

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why are so many people's responses to liking old Halo games "It's just nostalgia"? It's such a cop out answer and just makes me think the person on the other end is either really dumb and can't formulate an argument or that they're under 12 years old. Anyway, doesn't nostalgia mean looking back fondly on something? How does that make our opinions invalid? Or does the word now simply mean "You're opinion on the game is based from when you were younger and is wrong because your young self can't understand objectively bad things about it."?

likewut

I think it's a valid argument when used properly. Obviously there is no denying the older Halos had advantages over the current ones but when people look back at Halo 3 and say it was perfect, that's pure nostalgia talking.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is it just me or are the aim assist ,and bullet magnetism in halo 5 ridiculous?I know certain previous games in the series *cough* halo 2 were bad but in halo 5 I'm really noticing it.I dislike how they gave us ways to change up our strafe (toggle crouch,thrust),and then made them pointless.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think it's a valid argument when used properly. Obviously there is no denying the older Halos had advantages over the current ones but when people look back at Halo 3 and say it was perfect, that's pure nostalgia talking.

This. As someone who currently hates Halo 5 and much prefers Halo CE-3, a lot of people tend to forget a lot of the negatives about these games. Specifically with Halo 3. I've been to plenty of events for H3 and I'm sure pretty much everyone who ever has will tell you that H3 Lan and H3 Xbox Live are practically two different games. 

Each game has their pros, even Halo 5. 

The proper argument when it comes to the "nostalgia" debate is what pros outweigh what cons. I can assure you I can name a hell of a lot more cons in H5 than I can about any of the classic Halos.

Of course. It can be a valid argument, but I feel people throw it around in a dismissive way a bit too much... if you know what I mean. Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant it's used in such context a lot of the time where it just looks like a cop out answer. 

• Upvote (+1) 6