CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Potentially. Matchmaking systems are complex, especially Halo 5's and how it utilizes servers/files.

I've never seen a developer have trouble putting out a playlist to be honest.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Competition is largely relative though.

If Halo would have kept improving as well these games still wouldn't seem like much competition in comparison

I think people would be able to notice that non-halo shooters are improving whether halo got better, stayed the same, or regressed.

I think people would be able to notice that non-halo shooters are improving whether halo got better, stayed the same, or regressed.

You're missing my point. They can improve but if halo maintains the same quality gap that used to exist, then there is no increase in competition.

You're missing my point. They can improve but if halo maintains the same quality gap that used to exist, then there is no increase in competition.

Maintaining a quality gap for 10 years is

Impracticable and also besides the point.

If halo has to more to maintain the quality gap, than that also means there is more competition.

He said there is less competition now than there was then, and i just don't think thats true.

How so

He said there is less competition now than there was then, and i just don't think thats true.

There's yet to be a game that offered as much as Halo 3/Reach did or as well as they offered it. So no it's not really impractical.

There's yet to be a game that offered as much as Halo 3/Reach did or as well as they offered it. So no it's not really impractical.

Its not the amount of content, its the quality and the attractiveness of the offering.

If Halo 4 came out and was just halo 3/ reach, but in a new setting, the competition would still be closing the gap.

A closing gap is a sign of increasing competition. As is the leader having to do more to maintain the gap.

Emphasis on offered.

In the early days of console gaming Halo had several unique advantages over its competition. Ranking System, Variety of Game Experiences, etc.

Now other games have caught up or improved significantly in those areas.

The only way for Halo to remain at the exact same gap in quality from its competitors would be for it to start coming up with unique radical advantages again.  Mod support, map editors, etc.  Halo is not getting any better, but the competition is quickly approaching the same level.

I still disagree that Halo "had less competition" back then.  It was simply better than the competition.  The amount of competition is basically the same, it's just more evenly matched now.

Its not the amount of content, its the quality and the attractiveness of the offering.

If Halo 4 came out and was just halo 3/ reach, but in a new setting, the competition would still be closing the gap.

A closing gap is a sign of increasing competition. As is the leader having to do more to maintain the gap.

I don't understand how it's closing the gap if no game to this date offers all of the following

1: a 4 player online coop campaign with scoring

2: a bitchin ranked + social matchmaking lineup with huge variety and ranking system

3: in game editor

4: a bitchin theatre mode that takes screenshots, clips, and uploads them online

5: awesome UI that SUPPORTS all these features like file shares

6: EXTREMELY customizable Custom game settings

7: EXTREMELY customizable horde mode

And do all this with the quality that Bungie did it. Meaning no shitty UI glitches, awesome soundtrack, awesome art style, all that jazz.

No game at the time had anything close, does anything now? Because I can't think of anything that even comes close. Doesn't look like the gap has been narrowed to me

I don't understand how it's closing the gap if no game to this date offers all of the following

It's still closing the gap if games have gone from offering 20% of that list to 60% of that list.

Don't know why "all" is necessary.

1: a 4 player online coop campaign with scoring

2: a bitchin ranked + social matchmaking lineup with huge variety and ranking system

3: in game editor

4: a bitchin theatre mode that takes screenshots, clips, and uploads them online

5: awesome UI that SUPPORTS all these features like file shares

6: EXTREMELY customizable Custom game settings

7: EXTREMELY customizable horde mode

And do all this with the quality that Bungie did it. Meaning no shitty UI glitches, awesome soundtrack, awesome art style, all that jazz.

No game at the time had anything close, does anything now? Because I can't think of anything that even comes close. Doesn't look like the gap has been narrowed to me

Because all of those things you listed are merely features added on top of a good game. Icing on the cake if you will.

But it's the "cake" itself that stood above all else. And that's where other games have been catching up.

When it comes to gameplay, Battlefield, COD (for awhile), and Rainbow6, Titan Fall etc have been upping the ante. Newcomers like Destiny and OW have nailed that out of the gate. Same goes for non FPS like Minecraft, Rocket League and GTA.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because all of those things you listed are merely features added on top of a good game. Icing on the cake if you will.

But it's the "cake" itself that stood above all else. And that's where other games have been catching up.

When it comes to gameplay, Battlefield, COD (for awhile), and Rainbow6, Titan Fall etc have been upping the ante. Newcomers like Destiny and OW have nailed that out of the gate. Same goes for non FPS like Minecraft, Rocket League and GTA.

See I don't even agree on that. I think Bad Company 2 and BF3 are much better than any Battlefield game since. I think tf2 is way worse than tf1. Rainbow six Vegas 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, I can't stand Siege. Cod is undeniably worse now than it was then. Gears 1 and 2 were way better than 4.

I genuinely enjoyed the games surrounding H3s launch and believe they were way better than anything now.

And of course I agree the core of the game needs to be solid, which is why OW is kicking so much ass despite having dick for content. But people like to pretend like Halo is only failing because competition is better and if Halo 3came out today it would fail. I think that's bullshit. Halo is failing because Halo sucks

• Upvote (+1) 5

Ya. 07 was the most stacked year of gaming I've ever witnessed. The quality. The variety.

Games are generic as fuck now. Everyone is too afraid to take chances due to skyrocketing development costs.

This is why people go apeshit over stuff like mine craft and rocket league. Omffffggg something that isn't a sprint/ads fps!!

• Upvote (+1) 5

it still seems pretty ez to no scope

Bullet mag is still insane but the aim assist is no existent which is a good start.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bullet mag is still insane but the aim assist is no existent which is a good start.

yeah that's exactly how it feels

why the sniper had hip fire aim assist in the first place i'll never know

• Upvote (+1) 2

My JIP boosts are back to not working. RIP the dream.

BTB maps still have frame drops. It was most noticeable so far on Eagle Square when staring out into the middle of the map from the side.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't noticed a difference, if anything I'm landing more no scopes

See I don't even agree on that. I think Bad Company 2 and BF3 are much better than any Battlefield game since. I think tf2 is way worse than tf1. Rainbow six Vegas 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, I can't stand Siege. Cod is undeniably worse now than it was then. Gears 1 and 2 were way better than 4.

I genuinely enjoyed the games surrounding H3s launch and believe they were way better than anything now.

And of course I agree the core of the game needs to be solid, which is why OW is kicking so much ass despite having dick for content. But people like to pretend like Halo is only failing because competition is better and if Halo 3came out today it would fail. I think that's bullshit. Halo is failing because Halo sucks

No I'm not saying competition is the only reason that halo is failing. Competition has been getting better while halo has been getting worse.

As far as the aforementioned franchises... Its subjective. I used to love rb6, but i thought vegas 1+2 were trash. The way Seige's popularity has grown since launch is simply staggering -a testament to how solid its gameplay is. Ive liked every bf game except hardline, but BF1 reinvigorated excitement are around the the franchise like none other. In terms of market penetration, its hard to argue that the fps audience doesn't see these new installments as special.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How so

i think the biggest reason is that the market wont sustain it. other games will come along that people like and tastes will change too. there will always be the core who likes the old games, but a new trend will emerge that captures your audience.

I think this new radar should be put into the HCS settings ASAP. After playing a bit I sprint a lot less, sometimes to my detriment, but I also feel free to make a smart flank, push, or to just double back a lot more. Feels good to do what I want to do again. Knowing when you should sprint is a lot more of a skill with these settings now too.

• Upvote (+1) 6

i think the biggest reason is that the market wont sustain it. other games will come along that people like and tastes will change too. there will always be the core who likes the old games, but a new trend will emerge that captures your audience.

Ya I see you point. All these brand new games are taking up all the population. CS go, GTA, bf, COD.

So nice to see, fresh, new faces.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ya I see you point. All these brand new games are taking up all the population. CS go, GTA, bf, COD.

So nice to see, fresh, new faces.

Titanfall, overwatch, ftp mobas oh wait...