CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Okay, so let's say your're %100 correct. Do you honestly believe H5 would be at the H3 player count even if it was the "perfect" halo from our viewpoint?

I would imagine, no. I think the franchise would of steadily lost players until it stabilized at a respectable level.

Opinions are always biased. But at least most of us don't neg someone for a necessarily bad opinion (which is kind of common in the HCS thread).

It hardly happens in the HCS thread. Only when someone just goes to complain for no reason. It happens more here tbh.

I think it's worth adding that back in 07 PC wasn't quite as large as it is now. Games like LoL, H1Z1, CSGO are huge and I know a ton of people that switched from halo to PC gaming. Also most of those people still own an Xbox one, they just don't use it like they did the360.

Now to add to MultiLocks point; If halo 6 launched perfectly(all features like h3) and is playable completely on PC and Xbone I could see it closing in on H3 numbers. The boost from summit alone would be huge.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Not likely.

H3 showed unique users per 24hrs. So what you saw was 10k different accounts logging into the MLG playlist per day.

H5's population isn't all that impressive. But at worst it's peaking at like 10k online at once. The total unique users per day is well over that.

This is false. H3 used an in game concurrent counter. Bnet used a 24 hour counter.

Just use simple logic. If it used a 24 hour counter the number would only rise throughout a day and then reset. If you played h3 you would see the numbers fluctuating. Ex at 7am eastern the MLG list would be at 2k. By 6pm it would be at 10k. 10pm 6k. 11pm 3k.

A 24 hour counter doesn't rise and fall. A concurrent counter does.

Okay, so let's say your're %100 correct. Do you honestly believe H5 would be at the H3 player count even if it was the "perfect" halo from our viewpoint?

I think itd be comparable yeah.

OW is literally NOTHING but a really fun multiplayer, and that's it. Nothing else to the game, look how it took the industry by storm.

Theres certainly more games taking up a chunk of the online population.

Competition, gamers attitudes, the market trends. Tbh I think if H6 launched and it was a masterpiece I stil dont think it would hit anywhere near H3 numbers in terms of population.

Maybe if it had a full PC launch that wasnt broken then maybe

This is false. H3 used an in game concurrent counter. Bnet used a 24 hour counter.

Just use simple logic. If it used a 24 hour counter the number would only rise throughout a day and then reset. If you played h3 you would see the numbers fluctuating. Ex at 7am eastern the MLG list would be at 2k. By 6pm it would be at 10k. 10pm 6k. 11pm 3k.

A 24 hour counter doesn't rise and fall. A concurrent counter does.

My brother, you're a bit late. I've long since conceded that I misremembered h3's playlist counters

Logic wasn't a factor here.

If a halo launches how it's supposed too. The population will be top 5 in popularity on xbox for sure. 

There is definitely more competition now, but there are also more total gamers now. You have to include PC games in the equation like Overwatch and CS because a lot of people play both. I wouldn't include PS4 stuff as much just because a lot of people are "Platform Loyal" so the crossover for people playing both PS4 and Xbox One games is probably much smaller than Xbox/PC. Someone should do the math but i would be willing to bet that the total number of people playing AAA games now compared to 2007 has increased enough to accommodate the extra competition from Hero shooters. And lets be honest, Hero shooters are really the only "New" thing. CoD and CS were both a thing back then too, so that's another wash.

I am not sure why you are including things like Mass Effect, Oblivion and GTA since none of those are primarily MP shooters. Those all have long tails of activity but so does Fallout 4, Skyrim (tons of people still play this, esp. with the remaster), ESO, GTA 5, so im calling that another wash.

Because people can't play 2 games at once, doesn't matter if it's not an fps and it's silly to pretend like there's no cross over. When skyrim came out I dissappeared from Reach for nearly a year.

That's kinda what I was getting at. I don't think we'll see another H3.

H5s population is bad by Halo standards, but average or above average compared to the rest of the market

No dog in this fight, but would you mind reposting this list?

It would seem to me that the FPS market is more crowded now than it was then, which would lead to the FPS population being spread out amongst multiple titles (which would explain BF1 at "only" 100k.

Just a quick glimpse at most popular we see Battlefront 1, Blops3, R6:S, Overwatch,COD:IW Destiny, COD:MWR,H5,SWBF, TF2, representing for FPS in the top 20.

Two of these franchises didn't exist back then, R6 is better than ever thanks to a refocusing, and COD is hogging up a massive portion of FPS fans. Competition is fierce. But like I said I don't remember what it was like for H3s life cycle.

I'm on mobile but Google "Most played Xbox live game of 200X"

I mean... this post is probably an overreaction. There is an abundance of what I would deem degenerate gameplay in H5 though. Crouching in random corners, a lot of easy automatics, awkward map geometry leading to some really awkward encounters, poor weapon placements, and finally extremely powerful and easy power weapons. Depending on who you match and how much they really want to win you'll probably be subjected to a lot of bullshit. It happens a lot to players who are used to playing competitive settings over the years. You'll push out and try to get good positioning and angles but in the end you're putting yourself in a position to need to out skill someone should they catch you coming. The "adapted" players though? A lot of crouching memes, autos, and stagnant gameplay. The objective is to never put yourself in a position that requires you to actually out skill someone but rather to out play them before they even turn the corner. Its smart but its not the peak of competitive gameplay and there's a reason we traditionally remove as many of those crutches and opportunities as we can in competitive settings. It was always this way though even in H3 when you played some of that default Guardian with a radar, hammer, etc. I think the gameplay is shit tier but its always been this way. We just don't have a playlist to retreat to anymore to avoid all of that crap.

I agree with all of that. It was just a particularly frustrating night of doubles lmao

definitely this.

there really wasnt as much competition in terms of quality competitive shooters as there is now (strictly my opinion). also look at the number of 360s out vs the number of xb1s. halo 3 had a much larger base of people to draw on at that point (76 million 360s vs about 30 million xb1s in terms of console sales). add that to the large number of good shooters recently (bf1, titanfall 2, overwatch, etc) and the mcc fiasco which definitely turned people away, and you can see that halo 5 population is going suffer even before factoring the gameplay and server issues

Why are you counting the total number of 360 sold?

Xb1 is out selling 360 at the same point in the 360'd life cycle

Throw in RROD hysteria

Oh and the fact that waaaaayyyy more people have xbl gold these days.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why are you counting the total number of 360 sold?

Xb1 is out selling 360 at the same point in the 360'd life cycle

Throw in RROD hysteria

Oh and the fact that waaaaayyyy more people have xbl gold these days.

already posted but 2 years 9 months into its life, the 360 sold 25 million in the us  and  14million elsewhere. best guess on xb1 +xb1 s sales at the end of 2016 was 26 million most likely worldwide. but its hard to tell since ms doesnt release numbers.

total number of consoles sold is relevant to high numbers in the game in its lifetime.  bigger player pool certainly helps with achieving high player numbers of a great game through its lifetime

h5 has been hurt by plenty of factors such as the terrible launch (thanks don mattrick) and the fiasco of mcc. rrod didnt stop people from playing halo or buying 360s, at least not on a large scale, since the 360 was insanely popular and sold well

already posted but 2 years 9 months into its life, the 360 sold 25 million in the us and 14million elsewhere. best guess on xb1 +xb1 s sales at the end of 2016 was 26 million most likely worldwide. but its hard to tell since ms doesnt release numbers.

total number of consoles sold is relevant to high numbers in the game in its lifetime. bigger player pool certainly helps with achieving high player numbers of a great game through its lifetime

h5 has been hurt by plenty of factors such as the terrible launch (thanks don mattrick) and the fiasco of mcc. rrod didnt stop people from playing halo or buying 360s, at least not on a large scale, since the 360 was insanely popular and sold well

RROD caused millions to re buy consoles which inflated 360 sales figures.

H5 is hurt by having a shit campaign, generic gameplay, taking up 100 gigs of hard drive space, and not matching perceptions of what halo is/plays like

• Upvote (+1) 3

RROD caused millions to re buy consoles which inflated 360 sales figures.

H5 is hurt by having a shit campaign, generic gameplay, taking up 100 gigs of hard drive space, and not matching perceptions of what halo is/plays like

i wont argue with you about those issues which are huge. my point is there are enough other mitigating factors that if h3 were out today , with everything else the same, it wouldnt be as popular as it was a  year and a half during the 360 days. outside of the xbox game landscape, shit has just moved to pc. free to play titles like league, dota, and hearthstone along with cheap shooters like csgo have become the dominant games. on the xbox, there are much better competitive fps games. in 2009 halo competed with cod and gears. now we have rainbow 6, overwatch, battlefield, titanfall, cod, and gears which are all good games (outside of IW)

i wont argue with you about those issues which are huge. my point is there are enough other mitigating factors that if h3 were out today , with everything else the same, it wouldnt be as popular as it was a year and a half during the 360 days. outside of the xbox game landscape, shit has just moved to pc. free to play titles like league, dota, and hearthstone along with cheap shooters like csgo have become the dominant games. on the xbox, there are much better competitive fps games. in 2009 halo competed with cod and gears. now we have rainbow 6, overwatch, battlefield, titanfall, cod, and gears which are all good games (outside of IW)

I don't think it would be as popular as it was. It wouldnt be out of the top 10 on xbox though.

Also r6 and bf existed during the days of h3.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think it would be as popular as it was. It wouldnt be out of the top 10 on xbox though.

Also r6 and bf existed during the days of h3.

The r6 and BF entries today are stronger same more popular than their h3 era counterparts.

That's part of what people mean when they say the there is more competition. Its not just the number of franchises, but the quality.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because people can't play 2 games at once, doesn't matter if it's not an fps and it's silly to pretend like there's no cross over. When skyrim came out I dissappeared from Reach for nearly a year.

I was only neglecting cross over from Xbox and PS.  the VAST majority of people either have one console or the other, not both.

and like i said, as far as competition is concerned non-fps games then and now are pretty much a wash.

Its all a wash other than hero shooters and MOBAs, which i didnt even think of before.  So yeah, there is definitely more competition now but also more people playing so i dont think its as drastic as some try to argue.  I agree with your premise and 80% of the logic behind it, i just disagree that there was more or equal competition "back in the day".

I was only neglecting cross over from Xbox and PS. the VAST majority of people either have one console or the other, not both.

and like i said, as far as competition is concerned non-fps games then and now are pretty much a wash.

Its all a wash other than hero shooters and MOBAs, which i didnt even think of before. So yeah, there is definitely more competition now but also more people playing so i dont think its as drastic as some try to argue. I agree with your premise and 80% of the logic behind it, i just disagree that there was more or equal competition "back in the day".

Okay. I can concede that as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The r6 and BF entries today are stronger same more popular than their h3 era counterparts.

That's part of what people mean when they say the there is more competition. Its not just the number of franchises, but the quality.

Competition is largely relative though.

If Halo would have kept improving as well these games still wouldn't seem like much competition in comparison

Is it that difficult to release a playlist that changes one small thing?

Potentially. Matchmaking systems are complex, especially Halo 5's and how it utilizes servers/files.

Is it me or are 3 matches I played yestarday on ffa not appearing?

Edit: went on waypoint96d3821e6bdb0732390588f70692b103.png

im done.