CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think it was Bungie.net that only showed 24 hours.

Yup.

Main menu in H3 showed the 24 hour peak. Each playlist however had live counts

H3 playlist showed current players.

Ah ok thats right. So yeah, If this mlg 10k players thing is true, then H5s current daily peak population is similar to H3 MLGs highest peak population. H5 edges it out by a few thousand (considering battlefront is peaking under h5 at 12k).

I dunno if that speaks more to how insanely popular h3 was or how unpopular h5 is.

Edit

Does Reach show concurrent or 24 hrs in-game? Because Reach was at 30k shortly after BC became available (last year) which would mean Reach was more popular than H5 at the same time which is pretty crazy.

Does Reach show concurrent or 24 hrs in-game? Because Reach was at 30k shortly after BC became available (last year) which would mean Reach was more popular than H5 at the same time which is pretty crazy.

Reach updates every 15 mins or so and included all players in active games (and maybe lobbies) including customs, theater, forge, etc.

But it's also known to freeze for weeks and even months at a time, so not 100% reliable.

• Upvote (+1) 2

BF1 which rode a wave of hype and critical success is only topping out at around 100k, I think the days of H3 levels of population are long gone.

I dunno if that speaks more to how insanely popular h3 was or how unpopular h5 is.

giphy.gif

+1 probably best gif response I've ever seen

• Upvote (+1) 6

BF1 which rode a wave of hype and critical success is only topping out at around 100k, I think the days of H3 levels of population are long gone.

definitely this.

there really wasnt as much competition in terms of quality competitive shooters as there is now (strictly my opinion). also look at the number of 360s out vs the number of xb1s. halo 3 had a much larger base of people to draw on at that point (76 million 360s vs about 30 million xb1s in terms of console sales). add that to the large number of good shooters recently (bf1, titanfall 2, overwatch, etc) and the mcc fiasco which definitely turned people away, and you can see that halo 5 population is going suffer even before factoring the gameplay and server issues

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember the first time I was ever annoyed with radar. It was a 16-man CTF game on Blood Gulch, I was one of the people set to "Offense", and going up to the base just knowing they had guys camped inside the base knowing exactly where I was coming from and when.

I was a casual then, and even I knew radar was bad.

You passed the basic intelligence test that an ASTONISHING number of people fail.

You passed the basic intelligence test that an ASTONISHING number of people fail.

Doesn't feel astonishing to me. These people are vastly underestimated in terms of their actual population compared to the more self-aware population.

definitely this.

there really wasnt as much competition in terms of quality competitive shooters as there is now (strictly my opinion). also look at the number of 360s out vs the number of xb1s. halo 3 had a much larger base of people to draw on at that point (76 million 360s vs about 30 million xb1s in terms of console sales). add that to the large number of good shooters recently (bf1, titanfall 2, overwatch, etc) and the mcc fiasco which definitely turned people away, and you can see that halo 5 population is going suffer even before factoring the gameplay and server issues

You're robbing me of chromosomes right now.

Look at that top 10 list I posted for 3 years and tell me there wasn't MORE competition during Halo 3s reign. And you literally just admit that RIGHT NOW the biggest game is struggling to pull 100k. THAT MEANS THERE'S LESS COMPETITION.

Also Xbox One has sold more than the 360 did at pretty much every point in its life cycle so I'd love to see where you got those numbers

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can I just ask why there is such a victim complex in this community? I always see confirmation biases and victim complex shit on places like r/halo for example. Say one bad thing about 343? "FUCKING EVERYONE HATES 343, WAAAHHHH I'M SO OPPRESSED WAAAHHHH". See one "negative" opinion about Halo 5's Multiplayer? "DURR ITZ SUCHHH A CIRCLEJERKK AGAINST 344333" Yeah, it's not like your confirmation bias or anything. It's like these people look for a reason to be the victim. It's like they want to be the victim. It's weird.

On the contrary, I'm not saying myself or TB are perfect either. Circlejerks and biased opinions are everywhere (including me), but for fucks sake can we drop this "I'm so oppressed and I'm a victim!" crap?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can I just ask why there is such a victim complex in this community? I always see confirmation biases and victim complex shit on places like r/halo for example. Say one bad thing about 343? "FUCKING EVERYONE HATES 343, WAAAHHHH I'M SO OPPRESSED WAAAHHHH". See one "negative" opinion about Halo 5's Multiplayer? "DURR ITZ SUCHHH A CIRCLEJERKK AGAINST 344333" Yeah, it's not like your confirmation bias or anything. It's like these people look for a reason to be the victim. It's like they want to be the victim. It's weird.

On the contrary, I'm not saying myself or TB are perfect either. Circlejerks and biased opinions are everywhere (including me), but for fucks sake can we drop this "I'm so oppressed and I'm a victim!" crap?

Opinions are always biased. But at least most of us don't neg someone for a necessarily bad opinion (which is kind of common in the HCS thread).

That's kinda what I was getting at. I don't think we'll see another H3.

H5s population is bad by Halo standards, but average or above average compared to the rest of the market

Look at that top 10 list I posted for 3 years and tell me there wasn't MORE competition during Halo 3s reign. And you literally just admit that RIGHT NOW the biggest game is struggling to pull 100k. THAT MEANS THERE'S LESS COMPETITION.

Also Xbox One has sold more than the 360 did at pretty much every point in its life cycle so I'd love to see where you got those numbers

No dog in this fight, but would you mind reposting this list?

It would seem to me that the FPS market is more crowded now than it was then, which would lead to the FPS population being spread out amongst multiple titles (which would explain BF1 at "only" 100k.

Just a quick glimpse at most popular we see Battlefront 1, Blops3, R6:S, Overwatch,COD:IW Destiny, COD:MWR,H5,SWBF, TF2, representing for FPS in the top 20.

Two of these franchises didn't exist back then, R6 is better than ever thanks to a refocusing, and COD is hogging up a massive portion of FPS fans. Competition is fierce. But like I said I don't remember what it was like for H3s life cycle.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If we had a mechanically solid AND accessible Halo, that launched with a kick ass campaign, multiplayer playlists up the ass, working ranking, working theatre mode that can take clips and screenshots with a UI to share them, map editor, great art style, incredible soundtrack, community interaction and EVERYTHING WORKED at launch you can bet your ass we would see H3 population numbers.

Basically H3 was the perfect package.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Less competition? With games like R6 Siege, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, COD, Battlefield, the FPS genre has a crazy amount of competition with some really great games.

Less competition? With games like R6 Siege, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, COD, Battlefield, the FPS genre has a crazy amount of competition with some really great games.

Okay, here's the first fact - xbox one is outselling the 360 at the same points in their life cycle by pretty large numbers. So don't use install base.

Now WITH that large install base and BF1 capping at 100k daily players, that alone tells you that the largest game doesn't put up numbers nearly as big as what the 360 games were at the time.

For the games you just mentioned

Tf2 pop is lower than H5 on Xbox One, COD now is DRASTICALLY lower and I just showed you that H3 beat out Cod4, waw, and mw2. Those were the biggest CODs so you can go ahead and scratch that off your list.

Battlefield existed then too with Bad company and BF3.

And OW xbl numbers are also low.

Halo 3 also went up against gears 1 and 2 when they were huge, rainbow six Vegas 2, mass effect, medal of honor, left 4 dead, and a bunch of other huge non FPS ips like oblivion, gta4, all the guitar hero games, blah blah

There were way more HUGE IPs during H3s reign

• Upvote (+1) 3

Okay, here's the first fact - xbox one is outselling the 360 at the same points in their life cycle by pretty large numbers. So don't use install base.

Now WITH that large install base and BF1 capping at 100k daily players, that alone tells you that the largest game doesn't put up numbers nearly as big as what the 360 games were at the time.

Tf2 pop is lower than H5 on Xbox One, COD now is DRASTICALLY lower and I just showed you that H3 beat out Cod4, waw, and mw2. Those were the biggest CODs so you can go ahead and scratch that off your list.

Halo 3 also went up against gears 1 and 2 when they were huge, rainbow six Vegas 2, mass effect, medal of honor, left 4 dead, and a bunch of other huge non FPS ips like oblivion, gta4, all the guitar hero games, blah blah

Okay, so let's say your're %100 correct. Do you honestly believe H5 would be at the H3 player count even if it was the "perfect" halo from our viewpoint?

i always wonder why im not more active here...

microsoft doesnt release  xbox 1 figures but the 360 sold 25 million in the us in under 3 years. in just over 3 years the xbox 1 has sold 26 million and this is with the help of the one s. these are most likely world wide figures. doing the math, the 260 was almost 40 million world wide.

as to the games, i mentioned competitive shooters and that it was only my opinion. if you want to look strictly at games as a whole, then thats fine, but now we factor in free to play mobas that are currently dominating the market.

i dont care that you disagree and if you want to try and set me straight, then cool. but chill on the tone. its unnecessary

• Upvote (+1) 2

i always wonder why im not more active here...

microsoft doesnt release  xbox 1 figures but the 360 sold 25 million in the us in under 3 years. in just over 3 years the xbox 1 has sold 26 million and this is with the help of the one s. these are most likely world wide figures. doing the math, the 260 was almost 40 million world wide.

as to the games, i mentioned competitive shooters and that it was only my opinion. if you want to look strictly at games as a whole, then thats fine, but now we factor in free to play mobas that are currently dominating the market.

i dont care that you disagree and if you want to try and set me straight, then cool. but chill on the tone. its unnecessary

Wait, why are you playing the victim? What tone did you infer from MultiLockOn's post? 

There is definitely more competition now, but there are also more total gamers now.  You have to include PC games in the equation like Overwatch and CS because a lot of people play both.  I wouldn't include PS4 stuff as much just because a lot of people are "Platform Loyal" so the crossover for people playing both PS4 and Xbox One games is probably much smaller than Xbox/PC.  Someone should do the math but i would be willing to bet that the total number of people playing AAA games now compared to 2007 has increased enough to accommodate the extra competition from Hero shooters.  And lets be honest, Hero shooters are really the only "New" thing. CoD and CS were both a thing back then too, so that's another wash.

I am not sure why you are including things like Mass Effect, Oblivion and GTA since none of those are primarily MP shooters.  Those all have long tails of activity but so does Fallout 4, Skyrim (tons of people still play this, esp. with the remaster), ESO, GTA 5, so im calling that another wash.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wait, why are you playing the victim? What tone did you infer from MultiLockOn's post? 

meant to multiquote

I think you are really downplaying the competition of the current landscape. Destiny has been massive and Overwatch, another new franchise is currently pulling more than COD:IW is on Xbox.

If you want to look outside of FPS, GTAV is a monster, as is Minecraft, as is Rocket League. Fallout 4, Elders Scrolls etc.

Sure H3 had stiff competition. But it was a fantastic package. Since then, this big FPS franchises H3 was up against have gotten bigger while Halo's quality decreased.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Its basically the opposite of this forum, where everyone just hates on the game constantly for everything, as if there's absolutely nothing good about it. At least on reddit you get a bit of both.

Check the accuracy stats for most pro's and you'll see that every season they're within 1-3% accuracy of the previous one since August or longer.

http://halo5arena.com/player/nV-TheSnip3down

http://halo5arena.com/player/iTz-So-Frosty

http://halo5arena.com/player/LethuL/season1605

I'm not saying heavy aiming isn't a thing, just that its not creating hugely inconsistent stats. These guys play hundreds of games each season, and their accuracy stays within 1%.

Yes. The aiming is consistently terrible

What exactly are you trying to prove here.

Halo was not bigger at its peak. I don't know what the hell you're talking about