CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

btw it made using an image editor that does it all for you, hence why the radar, Ammo counter and shield bar all appear even though its supposed to be a "scenic art piece"

Are you absolutely sure?

I thought so at first, too, but the HUD looks different than in the Anniversary Edition...

1415324863908_halo%20combat%20evolved%20

C3A7uy4UUAA0Cq_.jpg

The rows of AR ammo on the left are too far apart and the shield meter on the right doesn't have this "wiggle" that they added for CEA.

It might still have been a distorted screenshot or a "regular" drawing enhanced with a filther, tho. I wouldn't know.

Anyone else done giving 343 second chances?

Assumig H3A doesn't happen, and Halo 6 is more 343 Halo crap, is anyone just going to chuck in the towel and say "fuck it, I'm done"

I remember reading something like this for Halo 5 and then on launch day the same person said they were buying the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone else done giving 343 second chances?

Assumig H3A doesn't happen, and Halo 6 is more 343 Halo crap, is anyone just going to chuck in the towel and say "fuck it, I'm done"

I can't, I'm just too addicted to the longer kill times. I love engaging in meaningful, fair gunfights.

Ugh the loudouts killed it for me. Especially since running around YYing both shotguns makes you practically invincible.

Static Rifle + Combat Shotgun is where it's at.

The loadouts (and 2-weapon limit) are the fundamental problem with Doom 4's MP. The multiplayer combines elements of the modern military shooter (progression, weapon-limits, loadouts) with those of the classic arena-shooter (tight, confined maps, simple game-modes). It ends up a bastardized hybrid somewhere in the middle, with the virtues of neither and the vices of both. 

The absence of loadouts and the presence of weapon-pickups, as well as the ability to carry as many weapons as you want, is fundamental to the classic arena shooter which DOOM essentially created the basis for. It's not dreadful(its gotten marginally better with recent updates and SnapMap is cool) but it's clearly a game being pulled in two directions at once and not strongly enough by either. It gets even worse if you compare it to its predecessors like Doom 2, which while known for its great SP, was actually one of the first MP games to be played in a large tournament setting open to the public and essentially is nothing like Doom 4 in terms of speed,look,feel,weapon layouts, map design,ect...They essentially gave the middle finger to anyone who ever liked Doom MP in the past like that community never existed. If you look at the Steam reviews it got they are horrible for a reason. Doom 4 MP took the weak "shotgun"(pun intended) approach to MP that many id fans and AFPS fans in general hate about modern AAA FPS titles and fear that id under Bethesda(even though CA is mostly at fault for Doom 4 MP) has taken to first QL, now Doom, and  potentially Quake's detriment. Part of the backlash was undoubtedly due to the recent QL updates and the growing distrust of id from the core community. We just want a simple fast-paced, and skill-based DM FPS.

Yeah I agree with all that. For someone who played previous Doom games and really any Arena shooter fan, Doom 4 must feel like a slap in the face not unlike the 343 Halo games is a slap in the face of Halo fans.

If I had the power to do so, I would instantly remove loadouts and turn Doom into a true Arena shooter. It is nowhere near its full potential, I know that. CA fucked up big time.

But the game as it is still provides a lot of fun for me and is IMO a better shooter than H4/5 and up there with many other popular games like OW/BF/CoD. The pseudo-Halo, but faster-paced gameplay coupled with the wide array of gamemodes, varied weapon sandbox and the great map design is a breath of fresh air in a stale af genre and kinda scratches the Halo itch. There is a decent shooting skill gap, something I haven't seen in any AAA FPS game released in the last few years.

And if MultiLockOn's claims are right, id will do the next Doom MP in-house and it will be much better than Doom 4 so there's that.

I hate the pseudo-sprint and the fact that every power weapon is an instakill autoaim machine. It has a decently solid base as a Halo clone, but fails in so many little aspects that add up.

Please elaborate on pseudo-sprint? Fully agree, the power weapons are ******edly OP.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please elaborate on pseudo-sprint? Fully agree, the power weapons are ******edly OP.

Probably referring to the number of changes made to traditional sprint, such as the mechanic of being shot out of sprint if you don't reach terminal velocity, slow sprint speed in general, and shields not recharging while sprinting. Just general band aid fixes that probably alienate newer players more than they try accommodating, as the changes mislead them into thinking that this mechanic should be familiar, instead of creating a different game approach and not letting them set any initial expectations.

I remember reading something like this for Halo 5 and then on launch day the same person said they were buying the game.

Weak.

I thought you knew better than to play Halo 5.

FTFY

It's my fault for being primarily an FFA player since '09. I try to enjoy myself. I really, genuinely TRY as hard as I fucking can to force myself to like it. But I just can't fucking do it with Halo 5. This game is literally the paragon, the absolute embodiment of pure wasted potential. There are no other words to describe it. The game could be so much better than it is if 343 would grow a pair, pull their incredibly incompetent heads out of their grossly arrogant asses, and actually DID something worthwhile for the core game.

I just forced myself to play FFA for several hours tonight, hoping something would click in me that sparked any, ANY kind of joy or love of the game. Roughly 40 games of pure torture later, it never came. Not. Fucking. Once.

I hate the movement.

I hate the piss easy, broken as shit autos.

I hate the piss easy, might as well go back to Perfect Dark auto aiming, rifles.

I hate this skilless, lazily balanced, Rock Paper Scissors, shallow as fuck, poor excuse of a sandbox.

I hate the snowbally as fuck EVERYTHING.

I'm sick of how utterly infuriating the motion track is.

I'm so incredibly sick and tired of this aiming system.

I'm sick of the bland, unmemorable maps.

I'm sick of the fucking frame drops on shit tier forge maps that won't die in a hole where they belong.

I'm sick of having absolutely NOTHING to work towards.

I hate how Warzone gets all the goddamn attention while we get jack shit.

But the one thing I hate more than anything, the one thing that supercedes my hatred of Halo 5, is my hatred for myself. For loving Halo and everything that it could be, I hate myself for hoping one day, I'll come on this forum, and at the top of the screen will be an official post by 343 Industries, saying "We're Sorry. We Will Make Things Right, Starting Now".

I'm sorry for my rant. But FUCK, I have a lot pent frustration from the past couple of years. I'll go back to my usual lurking now.

As it says in my bio, I love what Halo could be, not what it is.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Probably referring to the number of changes made to traditional sprint, such as the mechanic of being shot out of sprint if you don't reach terminal velocity, slow sprint speed in general, and shields not recharging while sprinting. Just general band aid fixes that probably alienate newer players more than they try accommodating, as the changes mislead them into thinking that this mechanic should be familiar, instead of creating a different game approach and not letting them set any initial expectations.

I actually think he's referring to the fact that despite not having a Sprint mechanic in doom, you move faster forward than any other direction so you kinda have to walk straight

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, he's not wrong, sprint was nerfed quite a lot relative to the previous games

I used to agree with this but dont anymore. The addition of the crap that sprint "unlocks" (thrust+slide and charge) totally negate any of the nerfs to sprint itself, and then some.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A must for Halo 6 co-op, customs and potentially social.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You can move at a decent pace, but only forward. The strafe and backpedal speed is really slow.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can't, I'm just too addicted to the longer kill times. I love engaging in meaningful, fair gunfights.

​Honestly, I feel for people who just can't move on from this series in its current state. I still hope the series can correct course before it's really too late, but there are plenty of better games to play as far as I'm concerned. 343's games are a waste of time, money, and effort. Counter-Strike has more meaningful, fair gunfights than Halo 5. So does GoW4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually think he's referring to the fact that despite not having a Sprint mechanic in doom, you move faster forward than any other direction so you kinda have to walk straight

Just read the original post in context, and now I'm officially an idiot.

I'm actualy starting to feel bad for 343, just a little bit.

At this point is pretty obvious that they don't want to be making Halo games and would much rather do their own thing.

I would support them in making new games that aren't Halo. Its been said before by many, Halo 5 is a good game, just not a good Halo game. They drop the Halo namesake, their games would become waaay more popular. it wouldn't be a case of "The old Halo games were better this game is shit"

it would be "Wow, This game is actually pretty good"

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm actualy starting to feel bad for 343, just a little bit.

At this point is pretty obvious that they don't want to be making Halo games and would much rather do their own thing.

I would support them in making new games that aren't Halo. Its been said before by many, Halo 5 is a good game, just not a good Halo game. They drop the Halo namesake, their games would become waaay more popular. it wouldn't be a case of "The old Halo games were better this game is shit"

it would be "Wow, This game is actually pretty good"

Yep. They do the bare minimum to keep it a Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Now I don't usually watch Greenskull, or any Halo youtubers for that matter, but this showed up as recommended and I had to take a look.

I'm not sure if Sony and Microsoft are run by idiots, or they just want to slap that "4K" marketing gimmick on their products to increase sales of uninformed consumers. I would much prefer having any Scorpio titles run at 1080p-1440p with max or near max settings at 60FPS rather than some stupid half assed 4k with inconsistent frame times and lower graphical settings. 

if they really want 4k, then they should give users a choice between that and lower resolution with higher framerates.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Now I don't usually watch Greenskull, or any Halo youtubers for that matter, but this showed up as recommended and I had to take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jZV4B-UnlA

I'm not sure if Sony and Microsoft are run by idiots, or they just want to slap that "4K" marketing gimmick on their products to increase sales of uninformed consumers. I would much prefer having any Scorpio titles run at 1080p-1440p with man or near max settings at 60FPS rather than some stupid half assed 4k with inconsistent frame times and lower graphical settings.

if they really want 4k, then they should give users a choice between that and lower resolution with higher framerates.

Dude. Frankie says the game will explode if it drops under 60 fps.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Yep. They do the bare minimum to keep it a Halo game.

Which makes no sense. They were put together to make Halo. This franchise is fucked.

Lol what a constructive post by myself. I have lost all hope.

• Upvote (+1) 2