CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Ya'll are still missing the point. 

Each one of these colored blocks represents 8 feet.

Both of the large pale blocks are at the same height. If I don't want the player to reach the block on the right by jumping, it has to be 40 feet away from him. 

This is how far the block has to be in Halo 5 to cut off access to that platform. 112 feet, or ALMOST THREE FUCKING TIMES AS FAR AWAY

Oh, and your pistol's red reticle aim assist stops after about here by the way.

So that's distance. Let's look at height. The block on the bottom right is 8 feet tall and 32 feet away from the Spartan. He can't jump up to it. 

This is how high the block has to be to prevent him from getting up there in Halo 5. I'll give you one guess how much taller it is than him. 

If i want that area to be in red reticle range, but off limits to the player, it has to be at least 56 feet away and at least 24 feet high.

What's the moral of the story here? 

In previous Halo games, there was a good mix of vertical and shallow maps, and big maps and small maps. In Halo 5, you don't have a fucking choice, because otherwise players can pretty much go wherever they want. 

Oh, and this would pretty much be non existent without Clamber in the game. You can still fly across the fucking map with Sprint Thrust Slide Stabalize and Ground Pound, but at least you wont be able to clamber up anything. 

edit: I suppose I should acknowledge the loopholes for argument's sake. Yes, you can put railings on the platforms or you can shrink the left block so the player cannot get a sprinting start. But both of those are forced on the designer. 

motherofgod.jpg

Edit: Please make a video of this. 

Unfortunately I don't ever see clamber going away because 99% of the population don't understand the flaws with it, and even if they did the fact they like it would negate the negatives on gameplay in their mind, however, you can definitely mitigate clamber by removing sprint and making thruster not thrust you as far and as fast as it does in Halo 5. They also need to design the maps better to allow players to make jumps without clamber instead of forcing it upon us, but either way if Halo 6 has sprint I won't be getting it anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Clamber isn't even that much of an issue in games like BF (up to BF4) and CoD, because you have to be perpendicular to the edge and it has very small range, it's mostly used to jump over cover and because of the short kill times it's a true death sentence to be caught mid-clamber.

In true 343 fashion though, H5 clamber has enormous range, does not require specific timing, does not require players to be perpendicular to the edge and can be activated in mid-air. They have the nerve to dumb down the ideas they steal from CoD even further.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Clamber isn't even that much of an issue in games like BF (up to BF4) and CoD, because you have to be perpendicular to the edge and it has very small range, it's mostly used to jump over cover and because of the short kill times it's a true death sentence to be caught mid-clamber.

In true 343 fashion though, H5 clamber has enormous range, does not require specific timing, does not require players to be perpendicular to the edge and can be activated in mid-air. They have the nerve to dumb down the ideas they steal from CoD even further.

Bo3 clamber let's you do it in any direction (even backwards). And you keep your gun up while doing it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Bo3 clamber let's you do it in any direction (even backwards). And you keep your gun up while doing it.

in other words: blops3 implements it in the Least shitty way possible.

Ya'll are still missing the point. 

Each one of these colored blocks represents 8 feet.

Dd9ujeK.png

Both of the large pale blocks are at the same height. If I don't want the player to reach the block on the right by jumping, it has to be 40 feet away from him. (edit: The player could still reach it with Sprint, but pushing it to 50 feet cut off access.)

hkXGBA3.png

This is how far the block has to be in Halo 5 to cut off access to that platform. 120 feet, which is THREE FUCKING TIMES AS FAR AWAY. When people say you can fly across the map in Halo 5, it's not an exaggeration. That's 112 feet between the blocks. 

Oh, and your pistol's red reticle aim assist stops after about here by the way. 

GQMVN0u.png

So that's distance. Let's look at height. The block on the bottom right is 8 feet tall and 32 feet away from the Spartan. He can't jump up to it. 

dmAg1z6.png

This is how high the block has to be to prevent him from getting up there in Halo 5. I'll give you one guess how much taller it is than him. 

482Rwk1.png

If i want that area to be in red reticle range, but off limits to the player, it has to be at least 56 feet away and at least 24 feet high.

qV5WNl2.png

What's the moral of the story here? 

In previous Halo games, there was a good mix of vertical and shallow maps, and big maps and small maps. In Halo 5, you don't have a fucking choice, because otherwise players can pretty much go wherever they want. 

Oh, and this would be non existent without Clamber in the game. You can still fly across the fucking map with Sprint Thrust Slide Stabalize and Ground Pound, but at least you wont be able to clamber up anything. 

edit: I'm eliminating variables like slopes, cover, long ranged weapons and vehicles for obvious reasons, but I suppose I should acknowledge the loopholes for argument's sake. Yes, you can put railings or bevels on the platforms or you can shrink the left block so the player cannot get a sprinting start. But both of those are forced on the designer. 

Quality post.

Really does show how bad it is...

With an animation penalty that's what, 1 second long? Lol how about just missing the jump.

The amount that maps have to be upscaled in H5 to accommodate clamber is insane

It takes just over a second to kill someone... especially when they are locked in a predictable animation. so a 1s penalty isnt insignificant.

Just missing the jump is fine by me too (prefered actually), but i could live with a clamber that wasnt isnt implemented so poorly.

The reason that maps have to be upscaled so much to accommodate clamber is because of where 343 chose to draw the line for a successful clamber.

Since we can currently clamber ledges that are above our heads, any ledge 343 doesnt want clambered has to be above the crouch-jump-stabilize height. If it were designed so that our knees needed clear the ledge, then far less upscaling would be neccisary.

Snip

Insightful post. But eliminating clamber and spartan abilities isn't the only way to control map movement.

As i mentioned above they could have made it so that the spartan has to elevate ABOVE a ledge in order to clamber. They could increase sprint warmup time and shorten approaches to jumps. Etc.

There are plenty of ways for devs to limit where players can go and when, even with Spartan abilities, they just chose not to use them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone who's listened to HW2's soundtrack snippets Gamecheat leaked, can you tell me your thoughts? I didn't get to hear it before he took it down. Are there a lot of classic cues, does it remind you of the old Halos, or is it just more unremarkable sci fi filler music?

Listened to Isabel's Awakening and Run Little Demon. From what I understand these were officially released. Anyways, it's very well made, very powerful stuff, but it falls in with the rest of the forgettable Hollywood style OSTs. It's some of the best of that kind of music I've heard so far, but it's ultimately unremarkable. The melody doesn't stand out, there's no catchy hooks, the percussion is there to serve a purpose and it shines no more than that. Of course, I'm judging based on the two songs I've heard, so I'll still hold out hope for the rest of the soundtrack, but I suspect it'll be like H5's score.

Snip

Posts like this are the reason I browse this forum everyday. Up-repped and added to my Halo Related favorites folder.

Really, though 343, get Tom Salta on that H6 train. Call Marty, get them to collab, whatever. You have access to a lot of talent, so access it.

QFT

Spartan Assault secretly best soundtrack since ODST

• Upvote (+1) 1

My favorite part of WZA is when you are allowed to call in 4 tanks at the same time. Great game design I must say. Maybe sprinkle some Hannibal Wasps in and you've got yourself the hottest game mode of 2017

• Upvote (+1) 4

Have I ever mentioned that Mythic WZFF sucks? I bet that 343 themselves haven't beat this mode once, outside of their pro team (if that even means anything).

Rewatch this video by Wpns Grade and give it an extra view. Then go tweet it at a 343 employee 10 times:

Does this actually work? The only time I've ever seen a 343 employee watch a "Return to Classic Halo/Enhanced Abilities need to be removed" video was on Favyn's twitter.