CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Not as good as party restrictions, but I'll honestly take this if it means WZ and WZA's squad max stays at a squad of 6. So much more tolerable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know if it's a good thing Josh is coming back because I remember at the start of Halo 5, if you reached champs, you could not find any games at all, forcing you to use smurfs account....

This was not Menke's decision.

haloaccess_25223.nphd.jpg

They failed in all three of those:

• Can't even play the game without buying custom gear
  • new players get shredded by to4 or farmed in Warzone thanks to no party restrictions and a sub-par ranking system
  • the story is a mess now

I don't want to believe they actually read that sign and still came up with Halo 5. 

I mean; when I play it feels like they were being deliberate in doing the opposite. Or not, I dunno... You never know with 343. They seem pretty set in their ways so either they decided not to use it following Halo 4 or just pretended to not know what the sign said.

They would've had to have been going down each individual bullet point carefully plotting out the opposite. The literal opposite.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't want to believe they actually read that sign and still came up with Halo 5. 

I mean; when I play it feels like they were being deliberate in doing the opposite. Or not, I dunno... You never know with 343. They seem pretty set in their ways so either they decided not to use it following Halo 4 or just pretended to not know what the sign said.

They would've had to have been going down each individual bullet point carefully plotting out the opposite. The literal opposite.

Didn't that come up after Halo 4 when Halo 5 was well into production?

Didn't that come up after Halo 4 when Halo 5 was well into production?

I think so, they did show it at GDC 2013.

Lol i already do for X and Y. The other 2 fuck my aim up though.

I've been a proponent of claw for years now, and this week I finally started trying to play without it.

My god.

No other Halo has had my aim get thrown off so much by clawing like H5. The game definitely still has its accel jump issues, but it seems that jump is in the worst place in the stick in H5 compared to older installations, as my aim doesn't get nearly the twitch while clawing in 1-4 as it did in 5.

That said, the first couple days have been rough getting used to feeling gimped in a sense, but I can't argue with my accuracy consistently being ~55-60%+ rather than 40-50%.

Clamber is singlehandedly going to kill Halo

I wouldn't say that, but I started to dislike it more in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't say that, but I started to dislike it more in Halo.

I dont like how it has devalued crouch jumping. I am honestly fine that it exists, but think it should take longer to execute and only be required for select, difficult, nerdy jumps. Everything else should be at least barely crouch-jumpable. Separate the people who can make those jumps consistently from the ones that dont.

The thing that has been pissing me off the most recently is the ridiculously fucked damage:ease-of-use ratio of all the weapons. Ie You cannot challenge a sniper because descoping them doesnt really do shit. A descoped sniper isnt significantly more difficult to use.

• Upvote (+1) 1

clamber completely breaks map design. trash mechanic with nothing to add to Halo 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I dont like how it has devalued crouch jumping. I am honestly fine that it exists, but think it should take longer to execute and only be required for select, difficult, nerdy jumps. Everything else should be at least barely crouch-jumpable. Separate the people who can make those jumps consistently from the ones that dont.

Actually, Crouch jumping is valued more now because players that know which jumps don't have to be clambered will move faster than players that just clamber everything.

Clamber is still a long enough animation that you can punish it if they do so in front of you. It doesn't need to be longer imo since it would ruin alot of the more skillful jumps that clamber works well with.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

clamber completely breaks map design. trash mechanic with nothing to add to Halo

I think it's the map design that breaks clamber.

The map designers deliberately put jumps into the game that HAVE to be clambered- that's the wrong approach. THEY are telling players, "if you want to get here, you HAVE to be facing in this direction, and you have to expose yourself by putting your gun down.

Instead, skill jumps need to be possible with crouch-jumps and spring-jumps. Clamber could be used as a crutch when jumps are missed, but it comes with the animation penalty. This would reward superior map knowledge and skill, without making maps locations completely inaccessible to players who haven't mastered advanced movements.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Actually, Crouch jumping is valued more now because players that know which jumps don't have to be clambered will move faster than players that just clamber everything.

Clamber is still a long enough animation that you can punish it if they do so in front of you. It doesn't need to be longer imo since it would ruin alot of the more skillful jumps that clamber works well with.

What kind of situations have you actually seen that properly reward players for crouch-jumping instead of clambering in pro league, and not this sort of theoretical idea that no one actually thinks about? The animation may not be preferable in the middle of a gunfight, but saying that crouch-jumping noticeably rewards players when moving around the map is an overstatement.

You mean the jumps that 343 forces us to use clamber with, instead of actually presenting an option for us to also crouch-jump on? Those sort of jumps are more reliant on having a proper button layout to use all the Spartan abilities than you actually requiring skill to pull off. It may be unnecessarily complex, but that doesn't mean it is skillful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The map designers deliberately put jumps into the game that HAVE to be clambered- that's the wrong approach. THEY are telling players, "if you want to get here, you HAVE to be facing in this direction, and you have to expose yourself by putting your gun down.

Instead, skill jumps need to be possible with crouch-jumps and spring-jumps. Clamber could be used as a crutch when jumps are missed, but it comes with the animation penalty. This would reward superior map knowledge and skill, without making maps locations completely inaccessible to players who haven't mastered advanced movements.

That has nothing to do with what I said. 

Clamber encourages people to go wherever they want. If you see a ledge, you'll want to go there. Whether you can or not is irrelevant, and so too is the animation. The fact that something on the map is inviting to the player because clamber is in the game is fucking stupid. It's basically saying "ignore all the paths and just go wherever you want." 

Imagine if you could Clamber all over Prisoner. You know how fucking big that map would have to be to prevent you from clambering?

The way you can just fly wherever the hell you want in this game pisses me off. It's like 343 looked at people jetpacking on Boardwalk in Reach and said "How can we build a whole game around this sandbox experience?" 

• Upvote (+1) 7

That has nothing to do with what I said.

Clamber encourages people to go wherever they want. If you see a ledge, you'll want to go there. Whether you can or not is irrelevant, and so too is the animation. The fact that something on the map is inviting to the player because clamber is in the game is fucking stupid. It's basically saying "ignore all the paths and just go wherever you want."

Imagine if you could Clamber all over Prisoner. You know how fucking big that map would have to be to prevent you from clambering?

The way you can just fly wherever the hell you want in this game pisses me off. It's like 343 looked at people jetpacking on Boardwalk in Reach and said "How can we build a whole game around this sandbox experience?"

Again, that's a combination of map design and poorly balanced mechanics. They can largely control where players go, even with Spartan abilities by adjusting Spartan Jump heights and the height of designed jumps appropriately and by Limiting the success rate/usefulness of Spartan abilities.

They DECIDED to allow abilities to dictate map design, then designed the maps to require the use of Spartan abilities. The result is a complete loss of control.

With an animation penalty that's what, 1 second long? Lol how about just missing the jump.

The amount that maps have to be upscaled in H5 to accommodate clamber is insane

• Upvote (+1) 6

Halo needs a renaissance. Anyone still in denial about Halo's decline watch this.

Yes.

Will we see it? Probably not. 343i are pretty confident their "Halo" is just fine.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Halo needs a renaissance. Anyone still in denial about Halo's decline watch this.

Whats sad is this video that speaks nothing but truth - would just get downvoted to hell on r/halo

• Upvote (+1) 4

Sigged.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Crouch jumping still applies in a lot of areas... the way I see it though, Stabilize jumps are the "new" Crouch jumps. Plus, some clambers can't be executed without Crouch jumping, so there's also that...

Clamber doesn't really bother me much honestly. You just have to think about additional ways encounters can present themselves now. Usually this isn't too difficult when you catch a dude on radar. And there's still a minor penalty in doing it, so if you're being attacked, it's not like you're getting completely blindsided...

You just have to be craftier than the other guy in how you navigate the map, a lot of times...

Know the map, know the game. That's how I see it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Crouch jumping still applies in a lot of areas... the way I see it though, Stabilize jumps are the "new" Crouch jumps. Plus, some clambers can't be executed without Crouch jumping, so there's also that...

Clamber doesn't really bother me much honestly. You just have to think about additional ways encounters can present themselves now. Usually this isn't too difficult when you catch a dude on radar. And there's still a minor penalty in doing it, so if you're being attacked, it's not like you getting completely blindsided...

You just have to be craftier than the other guy in how you navigate the map, a lot of times...

Know the map, know the game. That's how I see it.

Ugh. No, sorry. You're wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2