CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

100% agreed, H3 was my favorite sniper :)

Mine too, it was the only sniper (apart from ce?) that when I got a back of the head blain, I would think that was a great shot. I guess the physics added something to it, nothing more satisfying then watching that backflip when you tore someone's face off.

• Upvote (+1) 1

With that being said, give it to me straight folks: Is this game going to kill Halo? Or can it bring us back to a Reach-esque community (not very large, but respectable).

It can be an 'okay' game, but not a 'Halo'.

Not saying much from a Beta standpoint, but that's what it's looking like so far.

I feel an interesting way to balance automatics would be to have their damage/bullet increase based on how many consecutive shots landed. For example, if you landed every shot consecutively or very close to it the kill time could be around 1.1 seconds, but if you were to fire shots slowly and not reach the timing threshold to increase the damage per bullet, the killtime could be 1.7 seconds.

I think it would bring the effective range of the automatics back in without turning them into spray/pray weapons and also increase their skill gap. 

I'm sure someone could come up with a good lore based explanation for it as well, such as "spartan IVs shield system weakens exponentially when presented with a constant rapid barrage in one area".

This could work. It would at least provide emphasis on being more precise when just blasting away at an opposition player with the AR (that's all you really need to do now).

I was wondering if 343 could make the AR damage dependent on where the rounds land on the target e.g. rounds landing on the head area = 100% damage, body 75 % etc. Would that make any difference?

I disagree. I think that the only chance the Halo Community has is right now, during this beta, to get it removed. If it is not removed after the beta, then I agree with you.

Where's the best place to let them know we don't want it? We need to make moves.

I disagree. I think that the only chance the Halo Community has is right now, during this beta, to get it removed.  If it is not removed after the beta, then I agree with you. 

This is the fact that makes me sad, Since even though here its pretty linear on what needs to happen, on Waypoint for every 1person that speaks up agisnt it, theres 5people bashing him for doing so, So even if theres more that don't like it, several are cowed into submission

This could work. It would at least provide emphasis on being more precise when just blasting away at an opposition player with the AR (that's all you really need to do now).

I was wondering if 343 could make the AR damage dependent on where the rounds land on the target e.g. rounds landing on the head area = 100% damage, body 75 % etc. Would that make any difference?

Currently the AR does provide extra damage for headshots, which is why alot of the AR battle seem random since of the spread and randomly getting headshots or not.

Where's the best place to let them know we don't want it? We need to make moves.

Quinn has said the best place for feedback is https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics

Good luck, They hate us over there just for being alive it seems.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think it is crazy that if they simply removed sprint and increased base speed it would cause a domino effect, eliminating a good amount of problems and truly improve the game.

Sprint Removal:

- Shoulder Charge would be gone (by default).

- Thruster Pack would mean A LOT MORE, and truly become important.

- The AR wouldnt be as OP because you wouldnt be able to just run up on somebody via sprint and mow them down. 

- They wouldnt have to spend countless man hours balancing sprint / trying to figure out how to make it work and focus on more important things.

- I feel like Skill Jumps would turn into "Skill Clambers" as funny as that sounds. Right now you can sprint off ledges and clamber onto almost anything, so it isnt even cool. If a pro did a no sprint clamber onto some ledge or something that nobody knew existed it would be a hell of a lot cooler than some random sprint jump/clamber.

It honestly seems like sprint is more trouble than its worth.  This game is so damn close to being really good, leaps and bounds ahead of Halo 4. 343 really needs to take a hard look at community feedback and apply it, or Halo 5 will be yet another Halo game that "almost had it".  

I for one am tired of talking about Halo in the context of "Well if this was out it would be good". I want one game, where everything is incredible. We have Ranks, Spec Mode, Weapons that actually take skill, etc. in Halo 5, but a few things are holding the game back.

I agree with you for the most part. I still think thruster is completely ridiculous and needs to be removed or at least be nerfed similar to the h4 which went a very short distance unlike the current h5 one where you basically fly miles.

Even after all the polls, the negative feedback, the constructive feedback, the numbers from previous Halo games etc it won't change the fact we're stuck with sprint =\. Doesn't help most pros/personalities are settling for it.

Mine too, it was the only sniper (apart from ce?) that when I got a back of the head blain, I would think that was a great shot. I guess the physics added something to it, nothing more satisfying then watching that backflip when you tore someone's face off.

I loved how the bullets sometimes had an affect on the body rather than it being a scripted animation. Shot to the back of the head and he would faceplant. Sniped while jumping and he would do a back flip...etc etc. Instead now the bodys just go limp or do a falling animation.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It was everything about the game that contributed to that snipe feeling so rewarding. It wasn't easy to use. The medal popping for only headshots looked visually pleasing the way it played across the screen as well as letting you know you got a better shot than a body shot. The medal itself for headshots looked great. The physics of the body falling when you hit them was instant and rewarding because it looked like they got by a train. So it had a very responsive feel as well as making the bullet feel like it had serious power behind it. All of that on top of the fact that most weapons flat out sucked in H3 made instant killing someone feel extremely rewarding vs the drawn out battles with anything else. 

The game just did a great job of making that skillful moment when you brained someone look and feel very important/rewarding and the fact that it wasn't just handed to you only enhanced that feeling. 343 really needs to take some notes from bungie right here on how a single medal/action can feel more rewarding than every medal in their entire game. Whoever designed all of that was a genius because the small details of all of that added up to giving a totally different feeling than any other Halo game

Great post, The time is now. If 343 truly "gets it" then they will make the right decision to remove it. Isn't this the reason the beta is 11+months out from release to drastically change elements of the game aka remove certain "abilities" and not just a smart marketing campaign etc. 343 went 50/50 to what I thought would happen in 2013 after Pax Prime when I was able to talk to them face to face. Yes, they corrected a lot of mistakes that they made between 2012-2013 however they are still the same company that made H4 and I won't forget that. I have mixed emotions with this halo5 Beta, I'll have to play with different maps and BR starts to really see what 343 is trying to do with H5. Am i happy with the result thus for the H5 Beta? No I expect a lot more from 343  considering that they put the halo community into a tail spin since 2012.  throwback of certain events --> http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/2841-my-thoughts-on-h4gc/ 

If 343 is willing to let the community vote on weapons why not actually elements that effect real gameplay? as in abilities. If 343 doesn't remove sprint for the final build it would not faze me. 343's bigger picture is to appeal to the masses and with the H5Beta it seems like its working. 

I really want to believe that everybody at 343 is listening to the feedback to the halo community not making the same mistake for the 3rd time in a halo title. I put a lot of faith in Quinn and the rest of the 343 Pro team to make the best Halo game possible, am I too naive to believe that? only time will tell.  

I'm not going to give thorough feedback yet I'm going to wait until the beta is actually over. But something small I would like to see changed is the kill feed on the top and the callouts on the bottom of the radar.  Once everyone learns the callouts, it will become second nature and the kill feed gives relevant information that is constantly getting updated. Say you make two people weak, and a teammate kills one, you can look at the kill feed since it is right in your face and call that second guy out. 

It's not that big of a deal, but I just think it would be beneficial for everyone to see information that is constantly changing, easier to find and look at. (And also to see who got 4-shotted or backsmacked.) 

Edit: Also in the feedback thread I've been seeing a lot of people saying that sprint shouldn't be in the game because "It isn't Halo".

C'mon. I know you can make a better argument than that... For the record I don't think that sprint should be in the game either, but at least come up with a halfway decent argument against sprint than "It's just not Halo". That doesn't really tell them anything. Because (just playing Devil's Advocate here) why can't sprint be Halo?

• Downvote (-1) 1

I think it is crazy that if they simply removed sprint and increased base speed it would cause a domino effect, eliminating a good amount of problems and truly improve the game.

Sprint Removal:

- Shoulder Charge would be gone (by default).

- Thruster Pack would mean A LOT MORE, and truly become important.

- The AR wouldnt be as OP because you wouldnt be able to just run up on somebody via sprint and mow them down. 

- They wouldnt have to spend countless man hours balancing sprint / trying to figure out how to make it work and focus on more important things.

- I feel like Skill Jumps would turn into "Skill Clambers" as funny as that sounds. Right now you can sprint off ledges and clamber onto almost anything, so it isnt even cool. If a pro did a no sprint clamber onto some ledge or something that nobody knew existed it would be a hell of a lot cooler than some random sprint jump/clamber.

It honestly seems like sprint is more trouble than its worth.  This game is so damn close to being really good, leaps and bounds ahead of Halo 4. 343 really needs to take a hard look at community feedback and apply it, or Halo 5 will be yet another Halo game that "almost had it".  

I for one am tired of talking about Halo in the context of "Well if this was out it would be good". I want one game, where everything is incredible. We have Ranks, Spec Mode, Weapons that actually take skill, etc. in Halo 5, but a few things are holding the game back.

This would also allow them to start making decent maps again.

Groundpounded T2 three times in a row in one match. I truly think GP is not that hard to use :P

Two questions:

Was it fun?

Was it Halo-esque?

Best place for feedback? There? That's asking for the worst experience for Halo.

Yeah I think we should invade those forums and get are voices fucking heard. No sprint thread after no sprint thread until the beta ends.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I loved how the bullets sometimes had an affect on the body rather than it being a scripted animation. Shot to the back of the head and he would faceplant. Sniped while jumping and he would do a back flip...etc etc. Instead now the bodys just go limp or do a falling animation.

Yeah the faceplant was pretty awesome. Only after Reach came out and it was so easy to snipe someone in the back of the head we started saying "I just Reach blained him" when we'd snipe someone in the back of the head on H3.

It was everything about the game that contributed to that snipe feeling so rewarding. It wasn't easy to use. The medal popping for only headshots looked visually pleasing the way it played across the screen as well as letting you know you got a better shot than a body shot. The medal itself for headshots looked great. The physics of the body falling when you hit them was instant and rewarding because it looked like they got by a train. So it had a very responsive feel as well as making the bullet feel like it had serious power behind it. All of that on top of the fact that most weapons flat out sucked in H3 made instant killing someone feel extremely rewarding vs the drawn out battles with anything else. 

The game just did a great job of making that skillful moment when you brained someone look and feel very important/rewarding and the fact that it wasn't just handed to you only enhanced that feeling. 343 really needs to take some notes from bungie right here on how a single medal/action can feel more rewarding than every medal in their entire game. Whoever designed all of that was a genius because the small details of all of that added up to giving a totally different feeling than any other Halo game

Exactly, I was saying this in a post before, I do not want a medal for every single kill I get, I mean c'mon there's a medal for "generic kill", why do I need a medal for this? I liked how on H2/H3 you could finish a game with 12 kills and 0 medals, Reach started the trend with stupid medals but it came in full force in H4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Best place for feedback? There? That's asking for the worst experience for Halo.

Sadly the truth of the matter.  But for some reason they want to look there for more then any other site,  Most likely since most people there would agree with making swat the primary competitive gametype.  It pleases them to hear more then anything else they are making the right decisions.

As much as I like sprint, I know it's not what Halo needs and hopefully 343 sees that with all the feedback from those playing the beta.

• Upvote (+1) 1

plz plz plz for the love of halo...just remove sprint. Up the speed to about the same as when you walk around with the sword or a bit faster and the shit would be dope. The other abilities I can live with, because they are situational or just irrelevant to the overall game. I had someone slide under my snipe shot earlier and 4'd me, utterly disgusting...salute to him. The rank system is very addicting, although it can still be tweaked to have more competitive matches with matching players properly. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sG7qo8VDqCs

I really love the clamber + ground pound jumps, even though they might not have been put there on purpose. They definitely have the potential to replace skill jumps (though not completely because skill jumps were amazing in H3). Bottom mid to top mid on Truth (NOT shown in the video) would be a lot more useful if the bottom mid play was removed. Top blue/red to top mid (also not in the vid) is beneficial to get to the sword faster than the people who use window to get to it.

I know people want skill jumps, but 343 could really use these jumps to work great competitively.

:)