CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I agree with about all of this. HOWEVER, I do think Slayer should become 5v5 if made social, and Skirmish become 100% objective (put some One Flag, One Bomb and KOTH) and lose all the Arena game modes.

Also, I think it would make sense to have Snipers ranked but I don't think it matters much regardless. Def merge the two variants though.

What about the Oddball yo?

I think 5v5 saw a lot more success when we had maps that were designed with multiple player counts in mind like Last Resort, High Ground, etc.

Every single Halo 5 Arena map is designed for 4v4. The only reason to make it 5v5 is so you could put BTB maps in which I don't think anybody wants... again.

I hate associating social with chaos. Sometimes people just want to play Halo and not care about rank.

I really don't agree. I've played my fair share of 6v6's and 7v7's on a bunch of the stock arena maps designed around 4v4 because, on H5F, that's basically all the lobbies you find. I always have a blast. I definitely considered it social, but not just pure chaos as you mentioned. The games are always close and action packed. Some of the only times I've gotten Killtrocities, manjaro's and such outside of BTB. I think 5v5 would bring in just the right amount to speed the game up, and like Vetoed said, present opportunities for multis. You're right, I don't want to have to play BTB to get a social experience. 4v4 is already so slow and boring in H5 because of all the spartan abilities and sprint. In my person experience, bigger player counts on the stock maps have made the game more enjoyable to play, even with the shit stock mechanics.     

Lighten the fuck up.

Where's your sense of humor? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

What? How? This is a wierd one.

Faster projectiles that are more accurate. Only has to hit a couple shots out at long range and just switch to the pistol for a less punishing noob combo. Plus it's still like a 2-3 shot beat down. It's way more versatile than the SR with very little trade off.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Faster projectiles that are more accurate. Only has to hit a couple shots out at long range and just switch to the pistol for a less punishing noob combo. Plus it's still like a 2-3 shot beat down. It's way more versatile than the SR with very little trade off.

What confuses me the most is why they chose a brute rifle specifically.

You'd think they'd have enough sense to make it green instead of shamelessly copying Bungie's assets.

I agree with about all of this. HOWEVER, I do think Slayer should become 5v5 if made social, and Skirmish become 100% objective (put some One Flag, One Bomb and KOTH) and lose all the Arena game modes.

Also, I think it would make sense to have Snipers ranked but I don't think it matters much regardless. Def merge the two variants though.

As Moa elaborated on, anything based on core Arena should remain 4v4 for consistency and balance sake.

I disagree that Skirmish needs to go full objective as well as differentiate from Ranked Arena. Majority of competitive games offer an environment to play their competitive rule set in both a ranked and social settings. In a perfect world the DLC content would have been held to the same standard as Vanilla H5 and the two playlists could be the same, or very similar.

And as for Snipers, at the end of the day, it's still a niche mode/experience akin to Breakout, Grifball, SWAT, etc. it's just slightly more competitive. Ranked/CSR should be reserved for core player counts modes with the most competitive rule sets, but I'll talk about that in a few days. Therefore, I still think Snipers should be relegated to Social.

The trade off being that it sucks vs. health? Like a normal covie weapon should? The noob combo is still much easier to use than the BPR -> Magnum. It's accuracy is a good thing, since you can actually lead targets at range to hit them with the shots then swap to the magnum for the cleanup. 

The BPR and the Sentinel Beam are two of the best designed weapons in the Halo 5 sandbox w/ direct parallels to old arena shooter weapons. Complaining about an accurate BPR is like complaining about the plasma gun in quake.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The trade off being that it sucks vs. health? Like a normal covie weapon should? The noob combo is still much easier to use than the BPR -> Magnum. It's accuracy is a good thing, since you can actually lead targets at range to hit them with the shots then swap to the magnum for the cleanup.

The BPR and the Sentinel Beam are two of the best designed weapons in the Halo 5 sandbox w/ direct parallels to old arena shooter weapons. Complaining about an accurate BPR is like complaining about the plasma gun in quake.

Yea man cross map shield melting weapons are so great let me tell you. It deals way too much damage and is still god tier in cqc. Health damage isn't really a problem because switching to the pistol is instantaneous and hitting a headshot isn't hard at all. It's just as dominant as the SR at more ranges. Sentinel beam is way weaker than the BPR lol it's not even comparable.

Yea man cross map shield melting weapons are so great let me tell you. It deals way too much damage and is still god tier in cqc. Health damage isn't really a problem because switching to the pistol is instantaneous and hitting a headshot isn't hard at all. It's just as dominant as the SR at more ranges. Sentinel beam is way weaker than the BPR lol it's not even comparable.

Only issue I have is the three shots to break shields. Waaaaaay to fast. The accuraccy is fine.

Only issue I have is the three shots to break shields. Waaaaaay to fast. The accuraccy is fine.

Yea that's my issue. It melts shields too quickly and it's super accurate. It's a combination. Take away the damage and it's fine.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Yea that's my issue. It melts shields too quickly and it's super accurate. It's a combination. Take away the damage and it's fine.

I agree. Say what you want about h3's sandbox it had great plasma weapons. The pr in h3 took out shields in like 6 or 7 shots, H5 does it in 3.

HCE's Plasma Rifle also broke shields in 3 shots. AND was way more accurate with even faster projectiles. And stunned people. With headshot multipliers too.

The issue with H5? Once again, weak AF utility weapons. (Which is fixed to a certain extent in Evolved BTW)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not more accurate. And the bigger difference is in H1 you had to take your pistol out of its case, disassemble it, clean it, blow on it, and reassemble it before you could fire it.

Oh and the melee wasn't two hit with a lunge range of a H3 sword

• Upvote (+1) 6

All good points, guys.

But I still don't see how the BPR is a more terribly balanced weapon than the Storm Rifle, which doesn't really need help from a melee or pistol headshot to straight up melt you. The Storm Rifle projectiles also travel faster and are just as accurate burst-fired.

The BPR is still at least somewhat niche. The Storm Rifle isn't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think 5v5 saw a lot more success when we had maps that were designed with multiple player counts in mind like Last Resort, High Ground, etc.

Every single Halo 5 Arena map is designed for 4v4. The only reason to make it 5v5 is so you could put BTB maps in which I don't think anybody wants... again.

I hate associating social with chaos. Sometimes people just want to play Halo and not care about rank.

Here's the thing about Social. It's not treated at all like the old games. There's zero incentive to care about winning because the EXP system in H5 isn't rewarding. Of course, a good amount of people who don't win most of their games (AKA EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE A PREMADE SQUAD READY TO GO 24/7) will end up preferring Social, because for them, there's no real point in Ranked.

But the thing is, in the end, H5 is a PvP game, and winning should be the main goal. Ranked creates an incentive for that and makes people engaged to the game. Without Ranked, there's no point as the EXP and gear grind isn't appealing or long-lasting enough. You end up with a Destiny PVP kind of experience where, unless there's new content/patches all the time, the game falls off people get bored and find it repetitive... and H5 sure as hell doesn't get a new refreshing experience each month, let alone an update at all.

You might think that it's fine since both Ranked and Social can co-exist, but the reality of the situation is that H5's population blows and Ranked search times are getting worse and worse. Before the recent update, "high" level FFA died for almost an entire month. It wasn't uncommon not to find Arena games late at night, even in the best region for it. Forget regions like ANZ or EU. And of course, when search times suck, then people just get off. What's the point?

Another good example is how Team Snipers was close to dead on arrival because Shotty Snipers was just more fun and easier for noobs, so no one even bothered with the Ranked version except the sweatiest kids, creating a frustrating experience for whoever searched without a premade. And of course, the population is too small to support strict team-size matchmaking.

TL;DR - Ranked and Social can't co-exist while delivering similar experiences. Focusing too much on either also hurts the game on the long run.

As far as format goes, I think there are a few default maps that support 5v5 better than 4v4 (Plaza, Stasis, Torque, Riptide, Mercy), but it would also be a great chance to implement Forge maps in MM too, assuming that the performance stops being a disaster.

@@Infinity might be interested in reading this too

• Upvote (+1) 3

HCE's Plasma Rifle also broke shields in 3 shots. AND was way more accurate with even faster projectiles. And stunned people. With headshot multipliers too.

The issue with H5? Once again, weak AF utility weapons. (Which is fixed to a certain extent in Evolved BTW)

everyone on this forum should give evolved a look see. Smartan here has been slaving away making it as good as he can with some other people on this forum like @@Soul flame.

I am including myself in this btw. When I get my external HD I plan on giving it a go.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is it normal for every game to have awful connections now?  Every shot feels like there's a small amount of delay to it now and the game is constantly eating them as well.

All good points, guys.

But I still don't see how the BPR is a more terribly balanced weapon than the Storm Rifle, which doesn't really need help from a melee or pistol headshot to straight up melt you. The Storm Rifle projectiles also travel faster and are just as accurate burst-fired.

The BPR is still at least somewhat niche. The Storm Rifle isn't.

Agreed, it is more niche, I don't dispute that, I welcome it. Problem is it is a tad OP at it's niche in Halo 5 (a Halo 5 weapon being OP in it's niche, shocking, I know)

• Upvote (+1) 1

The trade off being that it sucks vs. health? Like a normal covie weapon should? The noob combo is still much easier to use than the BPR -> Magnum. It's accuracy is a good thing, since you can actually lead targets at range to hit them with the shots then swap to the magnum for the cleanup. 

Well, the BPR in particular is clearly different for a few reasons. Things that come to mind: you have an actual strafe in Quake, plasma gun projectiles are slower (especially relative to Quake movement speed), kill times are slower, you don't move like a turtle in every direction but forward with your weapon lowered (which makes closing the distance with autos easier than running away), and Quake doesn't feature completely excessive bullet magnetism.

• Upvote (+1) 2