CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You are now awake. Welcome.

Simpsons-Join-Us.gif

I was on the stop hating on 343 train until I made the mistake of thinking I would have fun playing FFA.

• Upvote (+1) 3

My Gamertag was GoatDownOnHer once. 

It didn't last very long. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Beat the CE campaign again while listening to Karl Pilkington talk a bunch of bullshit on the Ricky Gervais Show. Game was on mute, still fucking brilliant. On to H2 now.

Running along exploring the frigate parked on Cairo Station. Gonna try to see if the battle where you're outside next to the MAC will load if I skip the indoor fights to it. If it were made by 343 the outdoor sequences of the level would be entirely scripted or just a cinematic, they'd not want you to do any exploring whatsoever, just run along the straight line they call a level.

Conclusion: Halo 2 > Halo 5

Random thoughts on what should change in matchmaking:

I agree with about all of this. HOWEVER, I do think Slayer should become 5v5 if made social, and Skirmish become 100% objective (put some One Flag, One Bomb and KOTH) and lose all the Arena game modes.

Also, I think it would make sense to have Snipers ranked but I don't think it matters much regardless. Def merge the two variants though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree with about all of this. HOWEVER, I do think Slayer should become 5v5 if made social, and Skirmish become 100% objective (put some One Flag, One Bomb and KOTH) and lose all the Arena game modes.

Also, I think it would make sense to have Snipers ranked but I don't think it matters much regardless. Def merge the two variants though.

I would agree with 5v5 thing if we had more than just generic, boring and honestly bad 4v4 Arena maps

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would agree with 5v5 thing if we had more than just generic, boring and honestly bad 4v4 Arena maps

Yea spawns are already pretty broken with 4 people on the map. With 5 you're gonna get some crazy bad spawns. No bueno.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I don't understand the appeal of 5v5 at all. Always Pissed me off, even in social.

It worked in H3 because of maps like Standoff and Valhalla being in Social Slayer. Ever since Reach it's flat out terrible though.

I don't understand the appeal of 5v5 at all. Always Pissed me off, even in social.

More people, more action, more frequent and bigger multikills. I don't think it's supposed to feel organized or thoughtful, just dumb action where even noobs are bound to get a few occasional multis.

It's one of the reasons BTB is popular. It makes it more rewarding for lesser skilled people without having to the dumb down the actual game's mechanics... although in H5's case it's a little late for that. It also has the benefit of being a different format from the ranked experience, which motivates people to check out both, creating healthier populations and longer engagement to the game.

For instance, I can tell you that I have no interest in Skirmish because a lot of its game modes are the same as Arena, I match teams that try as hard as if it was Arena, but when I win, I don't get rewarded like in Arena. I don't have a reason to bother with it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

More people, more action, more frequent and bigger multikills. I don't think it's supposed to feel organized or thoughtful, just dumb action where even noobs are bound to get a few occasional multis.

It's one of the reasons BTB is popular. It makes it more rewarding for lesser skilled people without having to the dumb down the actual game's mechanics... although in H5's case it's a little late for that. It also has the benefit of being a different format from the ranked experience, which motivates people to check out both, creating healthier populations and longer engagement to the game.

For instance, I can tell you that I have no interest in Skirmish because a lot of its game modes are the same as Arena, I match teams that try as hard as if it was Arena, but when I win, I don't get rewarded like in Arena. I don't have a reason to bother with it.

Yeah, but the difference is BTB has maps designed to support more players. I think the additional chaos is fun, but when you're tripping over your own teammates, it's just annoying on these tiny arena maps.

I would like it if Skirmish would deviate more from the Team Arena playlists. It's an opportunity to get funky with the weapons and powerups on map. and they should add some Forge mini games like King and Extermination, IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think 5v5 saw a lot more success when we had maps that were designed with multiple player counts in mind like Last Resort, High Ground, etc.

Every single Halo 5 Arena map is designed for 4v4. The only reason to make it 5v5 is so you could put BTB maps in which I don't think anybody wants... again.

I hate associating social with chaos. Sometimes people just want to play Halo and not care about rank.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Mythic WZFF is up. Raid on Apex 7 is the map this weekend.

Round 1: Tough Luck
Round 2: Tough Luck – Blackeye
Round 3: Tough Luck – Blackeye – Thunderstorm
Round 4: Tough Luck – Blackeye – Thunderstorm – Catch
Round 5: Tough Luck – Blackeye – Thunderstorm – Catch – Mythic

I hope Halo succeeds enough so @@automatousbeing and @@Hard Way will have the motivation to stick around and keep writing these excellent forum posts

Thanks man. I'm not going anywhere though. Even in Halo's darkest time (Vanilla Reach, for me at least), I was still coming to Halo forums despite only playing Bad Company 2.  I just love talking about Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What is the top post of r/Halo today?

A showerthought: What if Marines suck at driving because in the furture cars drive themselves.

r/Halo: Tackling the REAL issues of the Halo franchise.

On a unrelated note, there are confirmed reports of Halo fans dying of suffocation, with witnesses claiming to have seen the fans digging deeper and deeper holes at the nearest beaches and putting their heads in them.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

What is the top post of r/Halo today?

A showerthought: What if Marines suck at driving because in the furture cars drive themselves.

r/Halo: Tackling the REAL issues of the Halo franchise.

On a unrelated note, there are confirmed reports of Halo fans dying of suffocation, with witnesses claiming to have seen the fans digging deeper and deeper holes at the nearest beaches and putting their heads in them.

Lighten the fuck up.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2