CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I feel an interesting way to balance automatics would be to have their damage/bullet increase based on how many consecutive shots landed. For example, if you landed every shot consecutively or very close to it the kill time could be around 1.1 seconds, but if you were to fire shots slowly and not reach the timing threshold to increase the damage per bullet, the killtime could be 1.7 seconds.

I think it would bring the effective range of the automatics back in without turning them into spray/pray weapons and also increase their skill gap. 

I'm sure someone could come up with a good lore based explanation for it as well, such as "spartan IVs shield system weakens exponentially when presented with a constant rapid barrage in one area".

That wouldn't work at all, based RNG would decide far too many battles when 1 bullet decides to go astray and interrupts the charge up

If you want to weaken the automatics the real solution here is to increase the health buffer so that they have facemelting properties when paired with someone backing you up with BR fire or whatever but not in 1v1 situations

The game is the hardest since CE.

Furthest thing from the truth. This game's easy as hell -- the only thing going for it is that its 343's first itteration that's not stupidly easy to land shots in, but then its still really easy. I mean Halo 3 even has harder shooting mechanics. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

That wouldn't work at all, based RNG would decide far too many battles when 1 bullet decides to go astray and interrupts the charge up

If you want to weaken the automatics the real solution here is to increase the health buffer so that they have facemelting properties when paired with someone backing you up with BR fire or whatever but not in 1v1 situations

I don't think that would be a huge issue. There will obviously always be some degree of randomness with spray based weapons, so its not like my system would be hugely different from the current system, except you'd be punished more for missing shots either via missing or bullet spray. The solution would just be to tighten the spread on automatics which already happens when you enter scope. Tightening the spread would be good for the skill gap as well. 

You could also have the weapons operate the way Reach's AR did; make them have very tight spread when fired in controlled bursts but bloom outward as you fire faster. Skilled players could base their fire rate on the distance between them and the target in order to get the fastest possible kill time at that range. 

Rarely post in these but I really don't want to play solo.  Played solo in the early access and landed in onyx.  If i didn't have such a busy weekend I would have got into semi-pro

I won't be on until Jan1 around 11:30pm

GT: cCanuck

Customs and/or MM

Toronto area, Canada

The game is the hardest since CE.

another outrageous honeymoon phase comment. I've seen many since Reach...

• Upvote (+1) 7

So, has anyone had a lot of trouble with Bumper Jumper? That's all I use on MCC, but I was sucking terribly today in the beta. Switched to default and played so much better. The scoping is much better with the left trigger in this game. Quick scoping almost sort of works with default, but it is completely different with the stick.

Honeymoon Phase over.

The ADS is one of the biggest issues I have with the game its aesthetic is gross and doesn't make sense in a lore fashion the old system was better

The Ranking system is flawed

The Automatics are ruined by smart scope

Its better than Reach Still but Halo 4 is miles better than this game....

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I know it's been said before, but I just wish people who play/love Halo worked on this title. It makes me cringe every time one of these devs talks about why they included *random spartan ability* in this game. :(

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree with everything you are saying,but i honestly don't think 343 is going to remove sprint. If they haven't been convinced by now, they never will

I think it is crazy that if they simply removed sprint and increased base speed it would cause a domino effect, eliminating a good amount of problems and truly improve the game.

Sprint Removal:

- Shoulder Charge would be gone (by default).

- Thruster Pack would mean A LOT MORE, and truly become important.

- The AR wouldnt be as OP because you wouldnt be able to just run up on somebody via sprint and mow them down. 

- They wouldnt have to spend countless man hours balancing sprint / trying to figure out how to make it work and focus on more important things.

- I feel like Skill Jumps would turn into "Skill Clambers" as funny as that sounds. Right now you can sprint off ledges and clamber onto almost anything, so it isnt even cool. If a pro did a no sprint clamber onto some ledge or something that nobody knew existed it would be a hell of a lot cooler than some random sprint jump/clamber.

It honestly seems like sprint is more trouble than its worth.  This game is so damn close to being really good, leaps and bounds ahead of Halo 4. 343 really needs to take a hard look at community feedback and apply it, or Halo 5 will be yet another Halo game that "almost had it".  

I for one am tired of talking about Halo in the context of "Well if this was out it would be good". I want one game, where everything is incredible. We have Ranks, Spec Mode, Weapons that actually take skill, etc. in Halo 5, but a few things are holding the game back.

I agree with everything you are saying,but i honestly don't think 343 is going to remove sprint. If they haven't been convinced by now, they never will

I disagree. I think that the only chance the Halo Community has is right now, during this beta, to get it removed.  If it is not removed after the beta, then I agree with you. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

after playing 60 games of halo 5 I have to say its a really fun game, but does need a few tweaks. Im going to start off with the good. 

What I liked

• low aim assist
  • balanced weapons (apart from minor AR and SMG problems)
  • Godly ranking system
  • entertaining gun fights
  • good maps
  • some awesome metals (perfect kill)
  • and fast gameplay

Tweaks

Sprint: To be completely honest I didn't really mind the inclusion of sprint in the beta because it felt balanced. That being said I felt the inclusion of sprint was unnecessary. This game would play at an even faster pace if 343i removed sprint, and increased base movement speed by around 150% with minimal strafe acceleration so that movement doesn't feel like your ice skating around the map. This would increase the skill further by making strafes even more important. To tie this into lore for you 343i employees I think a spartan should be able to move at full speed 100% of the time. If is not going to be removed nerf it so that you can not sprint when shields are not at 100% unless you are already at terminal velocity.

Thrusters: I liked the inclusion of thrusters in the game but felt they needed to be used more offensively. To make this ability more offensive I would make it so that you can shoot while thrusting, and increase the cooldown to around 15 seconds. The use of thrusters should also reset the shield recharge time like sprint to further push the ability to be used offensively.This would increase the skill gap even more and make gameplay even faster.

Smart Scope: Smart scopes animation needs to be instant for all weapons so that smart scope is literally a re skinned zoom function. 

WeaponsThe only weapons that need tweaking are the AR, SMG, and pistol. The AR and SMG should be way less effective at range. I would make the zoom function slightly increase accuracy instead of greatly increasing the accuracy. As for the pistol I think that it either needs to be a 4sk, or the red redicle range (when zoomed) needs to be doubled, or maybe even tripled so that it can stand its ground against the BR, DMR, and even the assault rifle at range. The sniper should also have a higher rate of fire, and less aim assist.

Flinch: I heard this was a glitch, but if it isn't it NEEDS to be removed. It makes gun fights inconsistent. 

Clamber: I didn't mind the inclusion of clamber, but think it needs to be more skillful to use. I think that someone should only be able to clamber at the peak of their jump and once they start to fall, they shouldn't be able to clamber. This would actually make clamber a skill jump and add another layer of skill to the game. Or you could scrap it and add a mini double jump mechanic which would be enough of a boost to get to clamber only spots, but only if you crouch while doing the jump.

Ground PoundI didn't really find this ability OP at all, and thought that it added another epic way to out play people, like successfully pulling off a ninja. One thing that did bother me though was how the ability was mapped to the crouch button. It totally ruins crouch jumping, and Gandhi hopping.

Announcer: I never liked the announcer since halo 4. The way Jeff talks is too optimistic and weird, instead of deep, and epic. I would strongly advise making Jeff announce metals the way he did in halo 3, and reach.

Empire/Eden: Both maps have power weapons placed in spots that promote camping. I would suggest placing a power weapon somewhere in the middle of empire and remove the outside, or tower snipers. For Eden spawns should be switched to so players actually spawn in blue and red bases, and power weapons spawn in bottom middle, and outside. This would force players to move outside of the bases, which are currently the best spot on the map.

Audible Hitmarkers: very annoying for some players, should be removed.

So yeah, those are my thoughts on the Beta. Overall its a solid game that is fast paced, and fun. Way better than reach and halo 4. I will probably add more things in the future.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it is crazy that if they simply removed sprint and increased base speed it would cause a domino effect, eliminating a good amount of problems and truly improve the game.

Sprint Removal:

- The AR wouldnt be as OP because you wouldnt be able to just run up on somebody via sprint and mow them down. 

- They wouldnt have to spend countless man hours balancing sprint / trying to figure out how to make it work and focus on more important things.

- I feel like Skill Jumps would turn into "Skill Clambers" as funny as that sounds. Right now you can sprint off ledges and clamber onto almost anything, so it isnt even cool. If a pro did a no sprint clamber onto some ledge or something that nobody knew existed it would be a hell of a lot cooler than some random sprint jump/clamber.

It honestly seems like sprint is more trouble than its worth.  This game is so damn close to being really good, leaps and bounds ahead of Halo 4. 343 really needs to take a hard look at community feedback and apply it, or Halo 5 will be yet another Halo game that "almost had it".  

I for one am tired of talking about Halo in the context of "Well if this was out it would be good". I want one game, where everything is incredible. We have Ranks, Spec Mode, Weapons that actually take skill, etc. in Halo 5, but a few things are holding the game back.

Agreed. Everyone really needs to make a push to get sprint out now. If we don't take this opportunity were gonna be stuck with sprint for good.

Sprint Removal:

giphy.gif

And lets be honest, the map size isn't that big of a problem when you raise the base speed and keep thruster.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can we talk about the sniper real quick? One thing I personally would like to happen to the sniper is for it to be more on par with the Halo 3 sniper. The H3 sniper was probably the one that took the most skill to master. At least I thought it was. Let's also leave out the shit registration H3 had. We already know this no need to keep bringing it up. When I say I would like it to be like the H3 sniper I don't mean a carbon copy. I mean on par with the H3 sniper in terms of difficulty. Anyone else agree or have any thoughts on this? Let's please have a debate/discussion rather than an argument and such.

I haven't played the beta because I got a refund for that broken turd MCC, and I don't plan on buying it within the next few weeks, so I won't be playing the beta.

With that being said, give it to me straight folks: Is this game going to kill Halo? Or can it bring us back to a Reach-esque community (not very large, but respectable).

Only problem I can see in removing sprint is they might still keep it in the "BTB" experience. I just have a hunch that that experience would be like Battelfield and campaign esque that they couldn't just take it out of that experience. I don't know

Can we talk about the sniper real quick? One thing I personally would like to happen to the sniper is for it to be more on par with the Halo 3 sniper. The H3 sniper was probably the one that took the most skill to master. At least I thought it was. Let's also leave out the shit registration H3 had. We already know this no need to keep bringing it up. When I say I would like it to be like the H3 sniper I don't mean a carbon copy. I mean on par with the H3 sniper in terms of difficulty. Anyone else agree or have any thoughts on this? Let's please have a debate/discussion rather than an argument and such.

100% agreed, H3 was my favorite sniper :)

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Everyone I've played with has immediately agreed that the game would be better without sprint. They can all agree that weapons, with the exception of the AR being too strong and the snipe being too easy and clunky as all hell with the slow zoom, are in the best place they have been in since before H3 dropped. They all also agree that the flinch mechanic is just stupid/pointless. I haven't seen this much agreement and unified opinions on anything since pretty much ever. Even bloom in Reach had more of a controversy. Seems to be the general consensus everywhere. I honestly feel like if 343 doesn't listen now they never will and they aren't worth the effort because they'll have clearly ignored their community. There will be no excuses this time. The beta is very early and the feedback is extremely loud.

• Upvote (+1) 3

*Sigh*

Arena FPS involve longer engagements in which the player HAS to be able to move and shoot(or R+G) seamlessly from long-med-short range in  various order depending on the situation and what weapon you are using/what weapon your opponent is using. The player should also be able to dodge/air-dodge or strafe without movement impediment/loss of accuracy as the risk-reward of more evasiveness for a harder shot is already built into the core of the game thus no sprint mechanic is necessary. In Halo the moving from one niche range to the next obviously doesn't happen as fast as a game like Quake/UT(which is why having players at various angles/map positions is so important to teamwork in the game) but the core concept remains the same. Without players able to move seamlessly from short-med-long range niches with the ability to shoot, the game loses a ton of meta, combat balance, and predictability which is counter-intuitive to the core design of the game and results in more random/unbalanced gameplay and weird combat situations like people have been clipping where Halo essentially turns into  "Ring-around-the-rosy" in shooter form with the offensive player unable to effectively punish the defensive player. I guess that was that #Immersion Josh Holmes was talking about.

Can I steal this to reply to that guy? I'll probably get a response just as stupid as his original post but oh well.