CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Can't watch right now , but lore should never take precident over game design.

What's funny about halo 5 is that their 'Smart-Link' overlays are cited as being part of the Lore, but they actually COUNTER the lore. If the guns view finder is linked to the Spartans Visor, he has no need to aim down the sights.

So its bad design and anti-lore. I hope that's mentioned in the vid

It was.

Man do we need a reboot with this company. Only like 5 people here even go for this shit. Why bother being in the company if you aren't going for Achilles? Makes no sense to me.

@@Infinity. Please. PLEASE prune our company of the people that clearly don't give a shit if they get achilles, and replace them with active players. We're working at like 5% here. Please don't ignore this.

Edit: And if you're in our company, please turn on your assassinations. It's our last place commendation because so many people have them turned off. You're in the company. Contribute.

Also, try some ground vehicles. They're pretty fun once you get comfortable with them.  FYI any kills from any warthog's turret will not count toward the ground vehicle kills commendation. Those count as "turret" kills for some dumb ass reason, not warthog kills.  But the ghost, wraith, gungoose, scorpion and mantis are all fair game and very deadly once you're used to them. But we have a lot of people in here that never get in them.  We need everyone to chip in.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Infinity. Please. PLEASE prune our company of the people that clearly don't give a shit if they get achilles, and replace them with active players. We're working at like 5% here. Please don't ignore this.

Edit: And if you're in our company, please turn on your assassinations. It's our last place commendation because so many people have them turned off. You're in the company. Contribute.

Also, try some ground vehicles. They're pretty fun once you get comfortable with them. FYI any kills from any warthog's turret will not count toward the ground vehicle kills commendation. Those count as "turret" kills for some dumb ass reason, not warthog kills. But the ghost, wraith, gungoose, scorpion and mantis are all fair game and very deadly once you're used to them. But we have a lot of people in here that never get in them. We need everyone to chip in.

I would help, but I value my sanity more than that armor. Besides, that armor just gives me negative vibes. The very nature of how it's earned through soulless grinding and the way players go about earning it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: More power to you guys though. I'm not bashing anyone.

• Upvote (+1) 2

UPgYrXu.jpg

OW gets limited amount of ranked playlists and working party restrictions, two things Halo has had in the past. Meanwhile we're stuck with H5's ranking system :uncledrew: :mj:

so is it just 8 minutes of him saying no? I mean, there's nothing else to say.

He mentions if lore had anything to do with gameplay it should be the explanation of the gameplay.. Not the other way around.

Say for example if 343 said "elites don't like the spartan simulation in pvp" and then uses that as an excuse for no playable elites (which is wait they said, i'm not joking) that would be 200% bullshit.

But say for example, if 343 brought no sprint into halo 6 and said "spartans now have different armour" to explain the change that would be ok.

What 343 is doing is using the lore to make excuses, it all started when they said they are making multiplayer canon and it's all one simulator... Which is a terrible concept

• Upvote (+1) 5

But say for example, if 343 brought no sprint into halo 6 and said "spartans now have different armour" to explain the change that would be ok.

What 343 is doing is using the lore to make excuses, it all started when they said they are making multiplayer canon and it's all one simulator... Which is a terrible concept

One of the worst things 343 did. It's actually less immersive if I'm costantly reminded that I'm playing a game within a game.

• Upvote (+1) 6

He mentions if lore had anything to do with gameplay it should be the explanation of the gameplay.. Not the other way around.

Say for example if 343 said "elites don't like the spartan simulation in pvp" and then uses that as an excuse for no playable elites (which is wait they said, i'm not joking) that would be 200% bullshit.

I recall them saying they focused on Spartan vs. Spartan combat for Halo 4. Bringing elites into the mix would have caused less balance - even less than what Halo 4 had already. 

Removing Elites is probably one of my favourite things that they've done, honestly.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I recall them saying they focused on Spartan vs. Spartan combat for Halo 4. Bringing elites into the mix would have caused less balance - even less than what Halo 4 had already. 

Removing Elites is probably one of my favourite things that they've done, honestly.

What was wrong with elites only being in certain playlists

One of the worst things 343 did. It's actually less immersive if I'm costantly reminded that I'm playing a game within a game.

now every single fanboy uses that argument and thinks they are the king of debating.

So stupid those people are, very stupid.

And the person who thought it was a good idea to make multiplayer canon is also stupid.

I don't want to play a book of a game of a game, I want to play a game.

What was wrong with elites only being in certain playlists

I personally saw it as a waste of resources in terms of balance, armour sets/customisation, etc. 

The only argument I see thrown around for Elites to be re-included these days for Machinima despite the fact that the Spartan vs. Elite crap in Machinimas was an overdone thing even before Halo: Reach came out.

If you bring them back you need to think about armour customisation, weapon balance for Covenant weapons, making spartan abilities fit onto the Elite model and player, etc.  

I'd much rather they focus on nailing balance, customisation, spartan abilities, etc all work on the Spartan which we aren't even close yet. Customisation in Halo 5 is a mess, spartan abilities need massive work (mainly spartan charge), balance is a problem when it comes to weapons.

They might have said that the reason it isn't included is because of canon but that can easily be changed - the true reason is use of resources and thankfully someone at 343 saw that as a giant waste of time prior to Halo 4's launch. Shame no one saw it for Breakout (and its refresh).

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I personally saw it as a waste of resources in terms of balance, armour sets/customisation, etc. 

The only argument I see thrown around for Elites to be re-included these days for Machinima despite the fact that the Spartan vs. Elite crap in Machinimas was an overdone thing even before Halo: Reach came out.

If you bring them back you need to think about armour customisation, weapon balance for Covenant weapons, making spartan abilities fit onto the Elite model and player, etc.  

I'd much rather they focus on nailing balance, customisation, spartan abilities, etc all work on the Spartan which we aren't even close yet. Customisation in Halo 5 is a mess, spartan abilities need massive work (mainly spartan charge), balance is a problem when it comes to weapons.

They might have said that the reason it isn't included is because of canon but that can easily be changed - the true reason is use of resources and thankfully someone at 343 saw that as a giant waste of time prior to Halo 4's launch. Shame no one saw it for Breakout (and its refresh).

343 have made a lore excuse on why they aren't in halo 5 though

343 have made a lore excuse on why they aren't in halo 5 though

Like I said, they can claim it's because of "lore" but that can easily be changed. Something something Swords of Sanghelios, something something partnership, blah blah Elites in Multiplayer. 

They aren't in Halo 5 because they didn't want to waste the time and resources, just like Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

now every single fanboy uses that argument and thinks they are the king of debating.

Yeah ever since Josh Holmes used #immersion in his post explaining why yet another Halo has to ship with the cancer known as sprint I've seen fanboys all over reddit/youtube using "immersion" as justification for all kinds of shit. Why do I have to waste time looking at powerup animations? Immersion. Why did Halo ever need ADS? Immersion. Why does the sniper rifle have a scope glint now? We need that Battlefield fanbase on board Immersion!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah ever since Josh Holmes used #immersion in his post explaining why another Halo would ship with the cancer known as sprint I've seen fanboys all over reddit/youtube using "immersion" as justification for all kinds of shit. Why did Halo ever need ADS? Immersion. Why does the sniper rifle have a scope glint now? We need that Battlefield fanbase on board Immersion!

I think it's more "we made the sniper far too powerful and we don't want to nerf it for some reason so have some sniper glare instead" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote (+1) 9

I think Reach did it perfectly, where you could never choose for yourself, it was always elite vs elite or human vs elite, with their different attributes seamlessly adding to gameplay variety. In social playlists they were just an occasional extra option, which made perfect sense.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think Reach did it perfectly, where you could never choose for yourself, it was always elite vs elite or human vs elite, with their different attributes seamlessly adding to gameplay variety.

Yeah, Reach was pretty decent. I didn't mind playing Elite Slayer in Multi-Team every so often.

The problem was when Elite vs Spartan stuff came up. The Elites usually had the worse weapons (DMR vs Needle Rifle, Focus Rifle vs Sniper Rifle, etc) and it made Invasion incredibly one-sides sometimes. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah, Reach was pretty decent. I didn't mind playing Elite Slayer in Multi-Team every so often.

The problem was when Elite vs Spartan stuff came up. The Elites usually had the worse weapons (DMR vs Needle Rifle, Focus Rifle vs Sniper Rifle, etc) and it made Invasion incredibly one-sides sometimes. 

I'd agree but I'd say the map design was way more of a crutch on the balancing. Even though the DMR had a higher TTK and more utility, the needle rifle was GOAT against no-shields enemies, which was a role fulfilled by all the shield-stripping elite weapons and pp secondary. Focus rifle was the same in the sense that it was hella weak compared to the sniper but still had the potential to be devastating with a bit of teamwork. Repeater was only viable in CQC where it shredded, and where it shat on the AR which had a much better range and consistency. Needler was also really niche but had it's moments. Also remember elites had plasmas which were nukes in Reach.

But yeah I don't think it was too bad, the map design was the big ticket issue with that mode.

I wish Halo had that  :(

OW gets limited amount of ranked playlists and working party restrictions, two things Halo has had in the past. Meanwhile we're stuck with H5's ranking system :uncledrew: :mj:

I'm gonna make another giant thread/post soon as a last ditch attempt to try and explain to 343 why they are completely missing the mark on ranked play.

Why in the world are there still Carbines on Truth? It's so obviously OP for that map and yet it's still there on its fast ass timer.

I don't think the Carbine would have been a problem with the preview variant of Truth. Now that both rifles are in power positions, they are both going to cause snowballing, whereas with the BRs in the bases there was a clear dynamic between the four components of the map.

Pink (Strongest Power Position): No Rifles

Carbine (Secondary Power Position): Carbine

Bases (Deficit/Spawn Traps): Battle Rifle

Now there are literally no weapons in either base on Truth, and that's going to make the Carbine and BR go rampant with power.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm gonna make another giant thread/post soon as a last ditch attempt to try and explain to 343 why they are completely missing the mark on ranked play.

I don't think the Carbine would have been a problem with the preview variant of Truth. Now that both rifles are in power positions, they are both going to cause snowballing, whereas with the BRs in the bases there was a clear dynamic between the four components of the map.

Pink (Strongest Power Position): No Rifles

Carbine (Secondary Power Position): Carbine

Bases (Deficit/Spawn Traps): Battle Rifle

Now there are literally no weapons in either base on Truth, and that's going to make the Carbine and BR go rampant with power.

Why can't they just have no rifles on truth? with only the sword as a power weapon top mid it would play so much better.

• Upvote (+1) 3

And the person who thought it was a good idea to make multiplayer canon is also stupid.

I don't want to play a book of a game of a game, I want to play a game.

It's worse than that. It's 343 controlling the character of multiplayer instead of it being purely player-defined.

With canon multiplayer, you can only play as a 343 employee.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Don't most people here want the stupid 1-50 ranking system ??

we want a 1-50 ranking system that isn't stupid.
  • Upvote (+1) 3