CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm actually surprised people still get on Halo 5 every night. As much as I love Halo, Halo 4 and 5 just about killed my desire to continue playing. There are so many better games out there now. 

Oddball & KoTH are the greatest Halo gametypes of all time btw. 

tbh is the most decent game on consoles

Okay I'll look for *any game with a 2 stronghold spawn trap

Once again. The fact that we AGREE that it's the ideal setup and strategy is all the matters. If a team isn't skilled enough to execute it doesn't mean the gametype doesn't revolve around it and mimic slayer. It just means they personally can't do it. If a pro team was set up in snipe tower and got breached (which happened just about every game) that doesn't mean snipe tower isn't the best setup and completely 1 dimensional. It just means they're not perfect.

First let's focus on where you were objectively wrong.

1) getting 2 cap does not equal setting a spawn trap

2) getting a 3 cap does not equal losing the ability to set a spawn cap

Those two false premises were the basis of your argument.

Now that that's out of the way yes there is an ideal setup on SHs. But that's not unique to strongholds. There is an ideal setup in every gametype.

Do you take exception to the fact that in Truth CTF you ideally block bubble spawns and control top mid to secure a cap?

Or that you ideally force elbow spawns on Coli CTF?

Or are you just bias against strongholds?

Further more the fact that there IS an ideal setup doesn't mean that it's an easy or common thing to accomplish. Most of the time, when teams are scoring, they haven't actually set up a spawn trap, because most of the conditions haven't been met. Yes they would like to create those conditions, but the other team would like to stop that from happening. successful traps are far less common in SH than slayer, because the need to secure, defend, reset the objective, pulls you away from trap positions, which creates many spawn openings for the enemy, voiding the trap.

This is similar to how the need to play and defend the objective in CTF often pulls teams away from their ideal positioning.

In your attempts to undervalue the impact of the objective in strongholds you ignore the many ways the the objective ensures that the game plays much differently than slayer.

Sure the ideal setups are similar conceptually, but in SH it's harder to obtain and sustain due to the objective requirements and the decision making needed to achieve them.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Further more the fact that there IS an ideal setup doesn't mean that it's an easy or common thing to accomplish. Most of the time, when teams are scoring, they haven't actually set up a spawn trap, because most of the conditions haven't been met. Yes they would like to create those conditions, but the other team would like to stop that from happening. successful traps are far less common in SH than slayer, because the need to secure, defend, reset the objective, pulls you away from trap positions, which creates many span openings for the enemy, voiding the trap.

I'd like to add that the ideal "set-up" is a trip-cap where you collapse spawns. No one wants to settle with 2 hills, but usually the flow of the game prevents them from pushing for 3.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Compared to every other console shooter H5 is goat.

Titanfall 2 is much better than Halo 5 for what it is

Edit: which is a casual shoot em up experience, as opposed to Halo 5 being spr cereal

• Upvote (+1) 1

Compared to every other console shooter H5 is goat.

BF1, CoD, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, GoW 4, Rainbow Six: Siege. Did I miss any other shooters on the Xboner with better competitive and/or casual offerings than H5? I'm leaving Rocket League off because it is not a shooter (despite having comparable high quality offerings to OW). I guess if you really want an FPS that vaguely resembles an arena shooter on console, Halo 5 is your best bet, though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

For the record with the proper map and stronghold placement it actually could be "pretty okay". Someone would just have to make it.

Going off of this quote, I would like to say that most of the default dev maps that Strongholds is played on are absolutely terrible for the gametype.

Rig and Plaza both have a Nest hill that easily overlooks a Basement/Bottom Mid hill, with the last hill boxed away in a corner. These maps are notorious for the absurd strength of the ideal 2-plot setup, and I think they completely undermine the value of the Strongholds gametype.

Then you have Empire, which is even worse, with the symmetrical base hills both being easily capped with the majority of the match becoming an absolutely indecisive clusterfuck while trying to fight over bottom mid.

The only good map left for Strongholds is Eden, where not a single hill becomes a mindless clusterfuck and at the same time the ideal 2-plot setup is no where near as disproportionately strong as on the first 2 maps.

Blue base may be the least desirable hill on Eden, but it is still viable enough to make do with having both it and either Catwalk to somewhat overlook it, or Red Nest to almost completely lock down Rockets when needed and/or focus fire back at Catwalk. There is a lot more potential for rotating Strongholds on Eden and is why it is so much better than the other 3 maps.

Rig, Plaza, and Empire should NOT have Strongholds played on them and be removed from the gametype, and better maps for Strongholds should be made via Forge or something.

BF1, CoD, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, GoW 4, Rainbow Six: Siege. Did I miss any other shooters on the Xboner with better competitive and/or casual offerings than H5? I'm leaving Rocket League off because it is not a shooter (despite having comparable high quality offerings to OW). I guess if you really want an FPS that vaguely resembles an arena shooter on console, Halo 5 is your best bet, though.

> Paying $60 more to play multiplats on xbox

im not stupid

Console OW (LUL) , and the rest are modern military shooters that have 0 competitive value . And pls don't bring competitive CoD that is more of a joke than Halo4.

Console OW (LUL) , and the rest are modern military shooters that have 0 competitive value . And pls don't bring competitive CoD that is more of a joke than Halo4.

A game doesn't have to be competitive to be fun. But if you want competition gears 4 is good

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah there are console games with better competive OR casual offerings... but none that have better competive AND casual offerings, imo.

What's sad is that halo was once the best in both categories. Now it's just mediocre in each.

• Upvote (+1) 4

A game doesn't have to be competitive to be fun. But if you want competition gears 4 is good

I find enjoyment in balanced competition and even starts, i love the sweaty matches that everyone hates , I enjoy winning a difficult match. This is the reason I rarely ever play the social gametypes (I didn't even played the H5 campaign) , I also play a lot of Starcraft and LoL
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I find enjoyment in balanced competition and even starts, i love the sweaty matches that everyone hates , I enjoy winning a difficult match. This is the reason I rarely ever play the social gametypes (I didn't even played the H5 campaign) , I also play a lot of Starcraft and LoL

I get that, I'm the same way.

From a John Wayne movie. 

I happen to share the name of the character in the movie. 

That movie is top shelf.... I'm so pleased by this that I will now find begin to auto up vote your posts :D

• Upvote (+1) 1

> Paying $60 more to play multiplats on xbox

im not stupid

I mean, we're talking about the experience "on consoles," though. Playing H5 everyday makes no sense if you have access to a decent PC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Last night I had five or so sudden and random lag outs of Halo 5, specifically. Tonight I already have three. Seriously, what in the fuck is with this game's stability.

:bman:

What exactly does OW being a primarily PC game have to do with the fact that it offers a better competitive and casual experience on console than H5? Oh, right. Nothing. "Modern military shooters with 0 competitive value?" I take it you don't really know anything about any of those games.

• GoW4 has an extremely high skill gap, equal starts, and clear arena shooter influence. Also, it's a sci-fi shooter, so there's that.
  • Siege is heavily influenced by CS and has a strong, growing competitive following.
  • CoD. I don't like CoD, but it's pretty hilarious to me when people talk about it lacking competitive merit while clinging to the idea that Halo at this point is meaningfully better. CoD has a healthier competitive scene and developers that actually rebalance things and ban broken garbage.
  • Titanfall 2 is mechanically the sci-fi "mobility" shooter that H5 wishes it was. It is, however, fundamentally designed as a casual game (which is the biggest turn off for me, I admit)
  • BF1 is everything that H5 Warzone wishes it was and has a much more significant shooting skill gap than H5. The potential is there in the mechanics, the overall presentation is good, and EA is apparently interested in creating a competitive platform for BF. I don't really follow sweaty BF, though.
Also, Rocket League.
Have you played OW on console?, cuz I have, and the sniper class is literally unplayable , the aiming system is so bad that even in the higher ranks you see people stacking tobjorns

I guarantee you the reason Control in Destiny was made a 3 Plot Slayer Hybrid in the first place was because Bungie realised what 3 Plots was actually about spawn trapping and killing, and they also understand seeing your individual kills increase the score is more gratifying and rewards both indivual skill AND team work.

-Bungie

-Understanding the meta of a mp game

Pick one

• Upvote (+1) 2

Have you played OW on console?, cuz I have, and the sniper class is literally unplayable , the aiming system is so bad that even in the higher ranks you see people stacking tobjorns

You can only pick one of a certain character, so what are you even talking about?
  • Upvote (+1) 1