CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

What would you guys think of a weapon that shot a paralysis core similar to the device Locke attempted to implant on Chief on their big encounter? It would disable movement for 2 seconds as a projectile weapon and potentially stop a push by exploiting the paralysis to reverse the advantages.

I guess I'd need more info like:

-Can the person shoot back while paralyzed?

-Is it an AoE or not?

It's kind of a weird balancing act of trying to figure out where it fits in the weapon tiers.  On one hand paralysis is very useful.  On the other hand, being able to kill people outright with Rockets, Snipes, PP, etc. is even more useful.  Yet if you made paralysis more frequently available than those weapons it could get annoying to constantly encounter.

I guess that's why weapon stun is more tolerable, since it's a much milder form of "paralysis".

I guess I'd need more info like:

-Can the person shoot back while paralyzed?

-Is it an AoE or not?

It's kind of a weird balancing act of trying to figure out where it fits in the weapon tiers. On one hand paralysis is very useful. On the other hand, being able to kill people outright with Rockets, Snipes, PP, etc. is even more useful. Yet if you made paralysis more frequently available than those weapons it could get annoying to constantly encounter.

I guess that's why weapon stun is more tolerable, since it's a much milder form of "paralysis".

In my mind, the weapon has no AoE, but the player cannot shoot back while paralyzed, hence the 2 second effect. He is literally frozen in place.

Oh, entirely. Then there's the aspect of it giving out free information about where people are, even if you don't see them which is hilariously stupid on its own. Nothing good comes from them. 

Happy soon to be new year. (for me).

Pre-nading used to be "i think someone is here because [callout, spawn prediction, high traffic area, im making a push]" and now its just used as sonar and leads to more thoughtless nade spam and kill chasing.

Watched Firefly for the first time. IDK why, but I got major nostalgia for the OG Halo trilogy while watching.

you watched it... for... the first  time???

Better late than never i guess but damn.  Make sure you watch Serenity now too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pre-nading used to be "i think someone is here because [callout, spawn prediction, high traffic area, im making a push]" and now its just used as sonar and leads to more thoughtless nade spam and kill chasing.

you watched it... for... the first time???

Better late than never i guess but damn. Make sure you watch Serenity now too.

Serenity was awesome. Really hoped that there would be an another movie oh well

I actually watched Serenity a long while ago, not knowing it was part of the same story or universe. Fuck me I need Season 2 of Firefly, why'd they stop?

I actually watched Serenity a long while ago, not knowing it was part of the same story or universe. Fuck me I need Season 2 of Firefly, why'd they stop?

Low ratings i guess.

In my mind, the weapon has no AoE, but the player cannot shoot back while paralyzed, hence the 2 second effect. He is literally frozen in place.

That sounds awful. You might as well just kill the person outright.

2 seconds? Thats an eternity.

2 seconds? Thats an eternity.

What I did have in mind is that the moment the player takes damage, he is immediately free from paralysis.

That sounds awful. You might as well just kill the person outright.

Think of it as a sleep dart from Ana on Overwatch, except on a much faster effect.

Think of it as a sleep dart from Ana on Overwatch, except on a much faster effect.

That's not making it any better. The idea of taking all control away from a player instantly just sounds dumb. I could understand slowing a player and making him more vulnerable, but there's no reason to outright freeze someone without killing them.

Watched Firefly for the first time. IDK why, but I got major nostalgia for the OG Halo trilogy while watching.

Same, they had season 1 on Netflix, watched the first episode and couldn't stop. Definitely has the banter I would expect from a halo game.

Pretty good show though in general

Cuz fox was stupid. They changed the day and time like 3 times and showed the episodes in the wrong order so it was never able to gain an audience.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What would you guys think of a weapon that shot a paralysis core similar to the device Locke attempted to implant on Chief on their big encounter? It would disable movement for 2 seconds as a projectile weapon and potentially stop a push by exploiting the paralysis to reverse the advantages.

It would be funny to do it as a counter to someone spartan charging you, but it would be too jarring to have it in the game. I think if someone was moving somewhere or trying to do something and then all of a sudden they couldn't move would just piss them off and cause frustration. It would be like having armor lock forced on you.

Found a neat little trick by accident. If you set a script to a powerup that despawns it on interaction, it shortens the animation drastically while still giving the powerup's effect.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Found a neat little trick by accident. If you set a script to a powerup that despawns it on interaction, it shortens the animation drastically while still giving the powerup's effect.

I was thinking of just setting a small proximity trigger around a powerup that automatically applies the effect when you walk near it, so there wouldn't even be an animation.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I still wonder why they made power-ups have an animation/exist physically. It's not even like you can drop it if killed (which might actually be interesting). As it stands, it serves no purpose other than to delay the effect.

It would be nice if that little trick could be made universal.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was thinking of just setting a small proximity trigger around a powerup that automatically applies the effect when you walk near it, so there wouldn't even be an animation.

A potential issue with that is that you can't apply the Overshield effect to a player without using the powerup. And you give up the onscreen camo timer.

A potential issue with that is that you can't apply the Overshield effect to a player without using the powerup. And you give up the onscreen camo timer.

The OS tint doesn't apply if it's done through trigger volumes? You're kidding right lmao what is with the lazy ass programming in this game

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's 2017, and I just had to QTB because I couldn't start up a matchmaking, custom, forge, or theater game. Great game