CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

A bunch of characters of different sizes and shapes in an arena shooter?

Sounds like he wants another Halo 2 to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I see this question come up quite a bit and wanted to take some time to actually construct a good answer to it. I've taken the time to go on Forgehub and screenshot every one of these maps and upload them for your convenience (since FH embeds the pictures in some BS HTML5 slideshow and you can't copy the picture URL). I've also hyperlinked every map for you.

If someone wants to copy this post into a dedicated thread that people could update progressively feel free. I'm not going to include anything I've made in this list.

On a related note, myself and another forger might be sponsoring a 1v1 Map contest within the coming months and we'll be donating several hundred $ out of our pockets to drive forgers to create some awesome maps within this category since we feel like it should be explored further. Afterwards we're hoping to partner with Forgehub to actually host a competition on the maps that win, so keep an eye out for that :)

Anyways, hope that helps everyone out.

PS I spent 2 hours on this post give me ur rep

Dude I don't even know what to say, thank you so much! I wish I could rep this ten times.

He was on top of his teammates head when his teammate thrusted in the air. At least I think that's what happened, interesting interaction to say the least.

different angle http://imgur.com/3sUCAid

Ahh okay so it's just a thrust bump. That was the other possible case. Sucks, that makes it even more difficult to reproduce because of the interaction so precise.

343 Logic:

Slide/Strust Dropping ect needs to be removed soon as possible

But crappy aiming, horrible weapon balancing and ghost melee are fine

• Upvote (+1) 5

so how are the odds Brad Pitt is actually Frankie on his quest to unite Halo fans?

He just comes here and posts so much crazy shit that even the biggest hardcore-critics find some semi good words for 343 at the end of the year :kappa:

Surprisingly true. 

That affects intermediates, and I'm not as worried about them. A ranking system does nothing but benefit new players, as there's nowhere to go but up. Those are the players that it's most vital to protect, because they're the most impressionable. Once they learn the game, you can start throwing tougher matches at them that actually feel competitive (but still not blowouts).

Sure they have. Dropping Infinity settings was pretty huge. I don't think any of us would still be playing if that shit had persisted. Flag juggling is another example. Even starts. No ball throwing. Sprint nerfs.  Unfortunately, all of these are examples of them taking things closer to how they were before everything got all fucked up, but its still an example of recognizing mistakes and not repeating them. In those regards, they're trending upwards, which is more than I can say for Bungie.

As for stuff that was good before but isn't anymore, this is where I really facepalm with 343. The content drought at launch is inexcusable. So is the aiming. Fortunately, theres a HUGE list of things that they backtracked on at launch that have since been rectified, and you can say the same thing about Halo 4. Again, these are things you can't say about Bungie since April of 2005.

The vast majority of players do not like competitive matches. Especially back to back to back competitive matches.

The vast majority of players do not like competitive matches. Especially back to back to back competitive matches.

Many players would rather just get stomped and get it over with than play in a sweaty 50-49 match.

I'm not one of those people, but this site is pretty niche in that regard.

Many players would rather just get stomped and get it over with than play in a sweaty 50-49 match.

Ya.

I think this is something a lot of people fail to grasp. 343 clearly did when h5 launched with all ranked playlists.

For a lot of people playing in games where everyone is really close in skill and the score is really close is the least enjoyable scenario. Well, short of being utterly dominated and spawn killed/farmed. 

Mixed matchmaking is the most fun for the majority of people because sometimes they get the power trip of doing really well and sometimes they get blown out. Neither of these experiences are all that stressful. Occasionally they will play in tight games but they are infrequent enough to provide an enjoyable experience.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You also have to keep in mind that Arena shooters have been struggling to stay relevant since the late 90's. It's no surprise to anyone that skillful games that places skill at the forefront of their design aren't the most popular. Hell, it's not even exclusive to FPS games. Bloodline Champions was a super competitive 3v3 game on PC, heralded to be the next big thing, and that failed to get any traction because it wasn't casual friendly at all. The controls were just like any MOBA/Overwatch, but without giving the ability for anyone of any skill level to be relatively competent from the get-go, it was doomed from the start.

Until someone finds a way to reform the basic tenants of an Arena shooter into a casual friendly experience that is on par with what the games of today offer, I feel like arena shooters as a whole will stay extremely niche like they have been. Personally, I feel like that isn't really possible without sacrificing what makes an Arena Shooter what it is.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Fair enough, but there still needs to be some way to protect new players from getting crushed constantly, since it's high skill gap playlist. The only way I can think to do that is to ensure they play each other, because anything else would only be harder.

What about a choice? Like a checkbox next to the playlist. "Match with players like you", or "Match with anyone".  After a few beatings of "Match with anyone", I bet new players would want to check the other box. I know I would if I were new to the game.

Of course if we take that route then maybe the playlist can't be ranked.

• Upvote (+1) 1

http://imgur.com/a/59HAk

"Halo became less popular because of competition from other games."

(also, how do I directly paste the image in the post without having to link it?)

Click the little image icon on top, 2 items to the right of the "link" icon, and paste the direct image url in the dialog like so:

ADODR65.png

You have to do the direct link to the image, not the page you linked in your OP.

Click the little image icon on top, 2 items to the right of the "link" icon, and paste the direct image url in the dialog like so:

ADODR65.png

You have to do the direct link to the image, not the page you linked in your OP.

thx now pls remove the picutre or i report 4 plaguerize

• Upvote (+1) 5

Reach BTB is literally cancer. Wayont, Abridged, Trident, Mt. Lam Lam, Utopie, Rasu, Delta Facility, Hemmorhage, Renegade and Paradiso are all hot garbage. The only other BTB maps were either Invasion maps or maps that had no business being in BTB, like BoardJetpackInsteadOfWalk. And then you have Reach's shitty vehicle balance on top of that.

The only decent BTB maps in Reach were Timberland and Headlong (remakes btw) and neither of them are even playable in BTB anymore. 

You can make a case for Vanilla Destiny, but not Vanilla Reach and certainly not BTB on all those awful Forge maps. 

Also Squad DLC in Halo 4 is the best thing 343 ever did. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

thx now pls remove the picutre or i report 4 plaguerize

fk u dude i find yur famly in 5s flat

Reach BTB is literally cancer. Wayont, Abridged, Trident, Mt. Lam Lam, Utopie, Rasu, Delta Facility, Hemmorhage, Renegade and Paradiso are all hot garbage.

Trident and Mt Lam Lam are pretty good and I don't mind Abridged. I agree on all the other maps though. No idea how some of them made it into MM, especially the BTB heavy maps are absolute fucking AIDS. Paradiso/Utopie could have had potential if the map wasn't so damn big and imbalanced by giving one team easier access to the mountain.

Slide/Strust Dropping ect needs to be removed soon as possible

I won't lie, I found the removal of that (On top of other shit like slide boosting, or the melee for a "quicker" powerup) to be soooooo dumb. It's like they intentionally want to slow the game down/dictate how we play, be it navigation wise or with just a pickup and nullifying a dumb animation that shouldn't even be there in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You also have to keep in mind that Arena shooters have been struggling to stay relevant since the late 90's. It's no surprise to anyone that skillful games that places skill at the forefront of their design aren't the most popular. Hell, it's not even exclusive to FPS games. Bloodline Champions was a super competitive 3v3 game on PC, heralded to be the next big thing, and that failed to get any traction because it wasn't casual friendly at all. The controls were just like any MOBA/Overwatch, but without giving the ability for anyone of any skill level to be relatively competent from the get-go, it was doomed from the start.

Until someone finds a way to reform the basic tenants of an Arena shooter into a casual friendly experience that is on par with what the games of today offer, I feel like arena shooters as a whole will stay extremely niche like they have been. Personally, I feel like that isn't really possible without sacrificing what makes an Arena Shooter what it is.

It really is unfortunate... I'd love to see more stuff like Unreal Tournament, or something else of the sort, make it to Xbox One/console.

• Upvote (+1) 1

MOBAs are the opposite of casual friendly. My parents and friends, who know nothing about modern competitive gaming, can watch Halo or CSGO and have a general idea of what's going on. MOBAs look like nerdy gibberish to them.

• Upvote (+1) 3