CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You don't need to FORCE players out of party chat, you just strongly encourage them to join team chat. Like the Overwatch dev said, they're not going to force players in Overwatch to join team chat, they're just going to very strongly encourage them to by displaying a large prompt and making it very easy for players to switch chat channels. Or you do what CoD used to do and don't allow party chat in ranked matches.

And honestly, why wouldn't you? It's a team game and if you don't communicate with your team you have more chance of losing. Most people don't like losing so it only makes sense to join team chat if offered the opportunity, especially in a ranked game.

You're also completely ignoring the fact that most people are lazy. Only the most hardcore players are going to bother setting up a Discord channel when they could just use the games in built system. Obviously Halo 5's inbuilt chat system is garbage which is what causes everyone to use party chat to begin with, so that needs to be fixed. If it was fixed however I'd like to see the game encourage team chat over party chat.

Lack of communication in the game = no community = dying online population. It's all connected.

And what you fail to realize is that, for whatever various reasons that could be discussed in another topic, players in general don't want to talk to each other.

Think about people who are in Party Chat for a second. They are either:

1. Already in a group playing together. No need to talk to anyone else because there is no one else.

2. Talking to friends outside the game and are not interested in talking to you in the first place.

Option one doesn't do anything, since there's no communication issues. They are already talking to each other. We're talking about random players we meet online during solo queue, so this group doesn't matter in the conversation.

So this brings us to option two. He/she already is in party chat in a ranked playlist. It's implied that they don't care about communications or their matches from this action alone. Say you enforce party chat restrictions on this player through the ranked playlist; what will stop them from unplugging their mic and/or muting everyone in the lobby? If a player does not want to talk to you, there is no system in the world, short of being in the same room with them and putting a gun to their head, that will "encourage" them to talk to you. There's a reason party chat restrictions for lobbies aren't everywhere in gaming (the last game I had to deal with party chat restrictions was Modern Warfare 2) and that reason is they don't fucking work. They don't "encourage" anyone to talk. That's why I wouldn't do it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Tell you what. Send me 100 gold packs and I'll post episode 4 in a week.

I will send you actual gold if you finish your video in a week.

• Upvote (+1) 2

And what you fail to realize is that, for whatever various reasons that could be discussed in another topic, players in general don't want to talk to each other.

Think about people who are in Party Chat for a second. They are either:

1. Already in a group playing together. No need to talk to anyone else because there is no one else.

2. Talking to friends outside the game and are not interested in talking to you in the first place.

Option one doesn't do anything, since there's no communication issues. They are already talking to each other. We're talking about random players we meet online during solo queue, so this group doesn't matter in the conversation.

So this brings us to option two. He/she already is in party chat in a ranked playlist. It's implied that they don't care about communications or their matches from this action alone. Say you enforce party chat restrictions on this player through the ranked playlist; what will stop them from unplugging their mic and/or muting everyone in the lobby? If a player does not want to talk to you, there is no system in the world, short of being in the same room with them and putting a gun to their head, that will "encourage" them to talk to you. There's a reason party chat restrictions for lobbies aren't everywhere in gaming (the last game I had to deal with party chat restrictions was Modern Warfare 2) and that reason is they don't fucking work. They don't "encourage" anyone to talk. That's why I wouldn't do it.

Party chat kills games and stunts community growth.

Honestly it's one of the unsung heroes of early Halo games. Those games just felt so alive. It's one of the biggest things early XBL had over PSN and even PC online gaming. So many voices.

Now it's like we may as well be playing against bots.

It's like making a rule where nobody on the street can speak because some people are assholes. The earth would feel cold and empty.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Forcing team chat in ONE playlist isn't the end of the world lol. In the competitive playlist you want to promote communication as a team. If you want to catch up with your buddy then just don't play that list. It's not some crazy thing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why the fuck do games start 3v4? How fucking difficult is it to type some code so this doesn't happen? It would probably take 3 fucking minutes. Pure laziness, nothing else.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Okay so I'm noticing a lot of hostility right now.

If you guys could just please wait until after finals to express your opinions that would be appreciated.

• Upvote (+1) 8

FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST. REMOVE SPARTAN CHARGE FROM EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

• Upvote (+1) 2

The refusal to many any meaningful weapons tweaks in this game isn't just embarrassing, it's downright pathetic. 

How dare you mention that you can easily modify weapons similar to both Halo: Reach and Halo 4 (after their patches) and then not utilise it to nerf the automatics, sniper rifle, etc which have been complained about since the beta in December 2014.

Then what are the bad kids and bonnie going to use when they play

Forcing team chat in ONE playlist isn't the end of the world lol. In the competitive playlist you want to promote communication as a team. If you want to catch up with your buddy then just don't play that list. It's not some crazy thing.

That's not the point. The point is they're bemoaning the fact players aren't communicating enough and throwing around suggestions like restricting party chat will not achieve their desired results.

Even if Halo 5's game chat wasn't spotty, hell it could be the most flawless gamechat you've ever heard, party chat would still be the better option for the type of players that are interested in communicating effectively in an online competitive environment. Restricting party chat will only maintain the status quo of no one talking to each other, but with less convenience for everyone else.

If you actually want to get somewhere with improving communication with players, start with systems like Battlefield's Com Wheel, or GoW's spotting system. "Gameify" it.

If you guys could just please wait until after finals to express your opinions that would be appreciated.

DAE think the autos are just fine???

DAE think the autos are just fine???

Personally, I think the headshot multiplier should be at least 2.5x. 

Pfft you guys aren't even talking about the most IMPORTANT change:

Base speed slowed, sprint speed doubled. You're welcome team beyond.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pfft you guys aren't even talking about the most IMPORTANT change:

Base speed slowed, sprint speed doubled. You're welcome team beyond.

Spartan charge's range should be doubled too. Talk about an amazing spectator experience! 

Your new avatar. 

Tcp6lIw.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

I better get one of these when i hit gold

bitch you ain't never gonna hit gold. My momma'll drop dead before you amount to nothin in these parts boy.

If you guys didn't know, the new classic armors in Halo 5 they added last don't have the thruster jets on them so they don't make any noise when you hover and shit. You're silent pretty much the whole time you traverse the map. As far as I'm concerned this game isn't equal starts anymore lol

The refusal to make any meaningful weapons tweaks in this game isn't just embarrassing, it's downright pathetic. 

How dare you mention that you can easily modify weapons similar to both Halo: Reach and Halo 4 (after their patches) and then not utilise it to nerf the automatics, sniper rifle, etc which have been complained about since the beta in December 2014.

Because outside of here most people playing the game like how the sandbox is balanced.

I regularly see comments saying that H5 has the most balanced sandbox in the series on Reddit and NeoGAF etc. 

• Downvote (-1) 6

Because outside of here most people playing the game like how the sandbox is balanced.

So because people like unbalanced things it should never change?

I'm sure the majority were happy with Halo 4's sandbox and how there was zero reason to use anything other than the DMR but that didn't stop from changing almost every aspect of the sandbox 7 months in.

• Automatics overpowered
  • Sniper Rifle is far too easy to use outside of scope and scoped in due to its magnetism
  • Spartan charges magnetism is far too high - beta was almost perfect
  • Upvote (+1) 7