CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Am I the only one who thinks the new UNSC logo looks like a shitty children's toy decal? The Halo logo redesign looks bad, too. Bungie and 343 took away all the cool nuances it had. Small nitpick, I know, but it still bothers me.

I think it looks a bit more professional. I always thought the original one looked out of place.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Am I the only one who thinks the new UNSC logo looks like a shitty children's toy decal? The Halo logo redesign looks bad, too. Bungie and 343 took away all the cool nuances it had. Small nitpick, I know, but it still bothers me.

"Maybe"? Honestly, I like the new Halo logo a lot more. Just looks soooooo much better, to me. Mainly comes from the Forerunner esque hexagonal design used on it (Like with Halo 4's), and the simplified and smooth letters. Always hated how the old Halo logo had random changes in "sharpness"(?) for the edges. Some were rounded edges, others were sharp. It just looks jarring to me, especially for certain logos where it looks arguably downright terrible, like Halo Wars' and to a point, ODST's with the shift in font types. The only thing I think the old logo has on the new may be texture. I do like how "pushed out" and bold the old Halo logo is, but don't mind the defined glass-like nature of the new one. Between the new and old UNSC, I'm indifferent. I like them both.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it looks a bit more professional. I always thought the original one looked out of place.

IDK I've always thought the old one seemed like something the actual UN would come up with. New just seems to have that overused future aesthetic that CoD and TF2 use.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

It's random and stupid, but it doesn't have to be completely broken. Adding the weapons to the right REQ level and giving both teams the same REQ progression would go a long way to make it less snowbally.

I've said it a bunch of times already, but dump the REQ system. Just use a standard marketplace where everyone has ready access to the same base weapons and vehicles, and also the customization options to tweak them as they see fit (attachments etc.). Break it up into 3 progression levels as to fucking nine REQ levels. As opposed to what's currently happening, where some guy on the other team has infinite whiplashes and prophets' banes while I'm sitting here with hydras and lawgivers, all thanks to REQ pack RNGesus and the fact that I don't get on to play as often as he does. Gee thanks.

I'm telling you, this would make the experience a 100x better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Meanwhile on Halo 5 PC.....

C0BnHrMVEAAwr7V.jpg

Can relate.  Wait till you play a big team match with C.E. pistol.  I had like 6 or 7 times the amount of kills as everyone else.  I was in a discord lobby and they all thought I was cheating. 

JT17EDN.png

"stfu you spoiled brat"

"No hard feelings"

lol fucking end my life

"modern fps standards"

No, YOU fucking end MY life.

I hear you, professional developer here as well, so I have my own set of theories. Gonna be pretty anecdotal from here on out, but I've had plenty of time to stew about all this.

Also, you may know all this Apollo, but I'd at least like to see the conversation hashed out further.

I definitely think there's merit to the dynamic resolution theory, and that it has some effect on input handling, and perhaps hit boxes. I also think there is a syncing issue with what you see in terms of player geometry, player hit boxes, and its effect on hit registration and aim assist. In a perfect world the hit box lays right on the geometry, and the aim assist is using that model for its calculations, so it truly aids your aiming and you don't notice it.  I would love to see the game just get locked at 900p (hoping that will retaing 60 fps) and stop using dynamic resolution.  I am a big believer in simplicity that is just executed really well, and dynamic resolution is not simple.  Finding the range of allowable resolutions and balance between when to switch and when not to is introducing a lot of extra variables that in my opinion are just unnecessary.  Honestly being able to do this is impressive technologically, but also complicated enough that QA'ing issues it might be causing with things other than framerate (like aiming, hitboxes, etc) is probably a bitch and a half.  

The Beta was locked at 720p and the aiming was good for it. lets lock it again, eliminating a bunch of variables, and move from there.

Given all that, another theory I've had is that not all Xbox Ones are created equal.  Yeah i was thinking about this too.  Most computer parts can be binned differently, react differently to heat, etc.  With how damn weak the xbox one is in the hardware department, i bet these admittedly tiny differences could be causing a perceptual performance differences between boxes when they are pushed to the limit of the capabilities.  That's pretty hard to test though without being able to push overclocks and observe temperatures and voltages and whatnot.  Plus there is the issue  with the "Instant On" feature.  I have that enabled and when the system starts acting up, i do a full reboot which always helps, but i bet a lot of people don't.  I would be curious to see one group always hard reset their xbox before playing for a few weeks while another group only uses instant-on and compare their experiences.

Like I said, plenty of anecdotal opinions, and I could ramble on about other theories for hours, but I'm curious what others have thought about all of this.

Removed some stuff for space but i did want to add to some things there ^

• Upvote (+1) 3

why do they always mess up game type chances... action sack could be so great but instead you get race gametype every othe game or minotaur or sbattle golf or something else totally stupid

/rant

• Upvote (+1) 1

why do they always mess up game type chances... action sack could be so great but instead you get race gametype every othe game or minotaur or sbattle golf or something else totally stupid

/rant

Same goes for Social Skirmish, which they should really just rename Social Slayer since it would be more accurate.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The spitting image of someone who will get Halo 6 early access. 

It's 343's target demographic. *shudders*

• Upvote (+1) 2

lmao that's why hearthstone on mobile is like 2g

My friend at work bought a whole new phone because of hearthstone. lol

I didn't know it was the foreign language packs taking the space. They should just have region versions for download.

JT17EDN.png

"stfu you spoiled brat"

"No hard feelings"

lol fucking end my life

I don't know how to respond to that. I'm just done. See you guys. Going to live in the bush away from people and the internet.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Same goes for Social Skirmish, which they should really just rename Social Slayer since it would be more accurate.

also I literally get matched against Champs every other game, either top players love to smurf in that playlist or the skillmatching is way off

also I literally get matched against Champs every other game, either top players love to smurf in that playlist or the skillmatching is way off

I do too but honestly i am ok with that.  I find that i get a pretty even mix of games where i do the smashing, get smashed, or its pretty tight.  It still "Feels" social to me which is good imo.

I just wish there wasn't so much damn slayer

• Upvote (+1) 2

Removed some stuff for space but i did want to add to some things there ^

100% agree on dynamic resolution being alright in theory, but probably something that wasn't planned from the beginning (because why would it be?), and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that a lot of things prior to its implementation were tied to a resolution, which results in a lot of moving parts dependent on static values that now needs to, as you said, handle a range.

Also, I hadn't thought about the instant on causing bigger issues, but my friends and I often find ourselves doing hard resets, used to do it all the time with MCC. Might start doing a hard reset prior to every play session just to see.

I do too but honestly i am ok with that.  I find that i get a pretty even mix of games where i do the smashing, get smashed, or its pretty tight.  It still "Feels" social to me which is good imo.

I just wish there wasn't so much damn slayer

When I think Social Skirmish I think Halo 3's where it's just straight Objective games. Played a few slayers on Orion in that playlist, and now I will never touch it again.

• Upvote (+1) 3