CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

On what planet is this shit "the fastest main Halo game in the series"?

fastest base movement speed

I mean impossible to rank down as in it would take like 10 losses in a row. That's just my experience with it, like I just had me and 3 other onyx's vs 2 onyx 1 diamond 1 plat. We lost but I only lost about 10 points. Should've lost way more than that

It's the opposite for me. Takes 4/5 wins in a row to go up a stage but if I lose 2 games out of 3 I go down.

Orion and Pegasus show up WAY too much in Team Skirmish! I would actually be down to play Riptide Strongholds or Torque anything.  But I never see them...

Sorry for the delayed reply, it's been a busy time at work and I'm sick, but cannot stay home for deadline-reasons. So I just didn't see the post here until now. (It also didn't help that I got no notification of being mentioned by name.)

These are the numbers that @@Celestis posted.

HALO CE:

7m/s

HALO 2:

7m/s

HALO 2 ANNIVERSARY:

7.6m/s

HALO 3:

7m/s

ODST:

5.5m/s

REACH:

6.85m/s (Base)

10.75m/s (Sprint)

HALO 4:

6.6m/s (Base)

10.75m/s (Sprint)

H5G:

8.3m/s (Base)

10.75m/s (Sprint)

I have no idea what method he used to arrive at those numbers.  I do want to know though.

I am using known vehicle lengths in forge, then measure the time needed to run that distance in order to calculate the speed.

The only exception were Halo CE, 2 and ODST, which didn't have forge.

For CE, I used the nav point on the level "Pillar of Autumn", where you encounter three grunts just before you enter the maintenance tunnels.

For ODST I used custom map markers/nav points.

For Halo 2.... you know, I actually forgot. No, really, I don't remember.

For some speeds I made video proof, but for some others, I simply forgot. Mea culpa. If neccessary, I can just re-do the measurements and film them.

Halo 3

Halo 4 (Base)

Halo 2 Anniversary

H5G (Base)

H5G (Sprint)

The values from CE, 2, 3 and Reach are consistent with what we saw in the game files (2.25WU/s for CE,2,3; 2.20WU/s for Reach). I am unaware of anybody looking into the game files of 4 and 5, but from my measurements, sprint speed stayed consistent over these titles. So Occams Razor suggests that they merely changed BMS, instead of changing both speeds and the vehicles' lengths.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Orion and Pegasus show up WAY too much in Team Skirmish! I would actually be down to play Riptide Strongholds or Torque anything. But I never see them...

Everything should be weighted equally. I get slayers being weighted more heavily because people want a social Slayer playlist, but for the love of god I feel like I'm playing the same maps over and over. I play this playlist for the variety but I don't even get any.

I did have a NASTY comeback on Coli Strongholds though to win 100-99. Lot of fun on a rare gametype. I'd like more of that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really like that idea. It sounds very similar to the Gears of War spotting system. I assume you're meaning that an enemy will show up on radar if a teammate or yourself has them in their field of view?

What if a spotting system was implemented? Have someone click the stick for the enemy that they see show up on teammates' radar for a short period of time.

Yeah basically as long as someone has a line of sight on an enemy he will show up on radar, after the sight is lost the dot slowly fades away.

On manual spotting: I like the spotting system battlefield uses, but I think it could get annoying in faster gametypes to also have to manually spot enemies all the time. Plus it would be just another barrier to entry like the overcomplicated control schemes H5 requires (I think we'd run out of buttons on the Xbox controller too haha)

Yeah basically as long as someone has a line of sight on an enemy he will show up on radar, after the sight is lost the dot slowly fades away.

On manual spotting: I like the spotting system battlefield uses, but I think it could get annoying in faster gametypes to also have to manually spot enemies all the time. Plus it would be just another barrier to entry like the overcomplicated control schemes H5 requires (I think we'd run out of buttons on the Xbox controller too haha)

That's true. I hadn't considered that. It works in Gears as there isn't as many input commands. Now that I think about it, both L3 and R3 are used for crouching and melee on my scheme, so that wouldn't work out too well.

I like the idea you suggested, though. At this point I think an unconventional method to radar in Halo should be used. It seems that it doesn't work well being on or off, so a middle ground perhaps.

fastest base movement speed

That might be the case, but perceived movement speed is relative to the size of the maps you play on though.. Ie, movement speed could be doubled, but if all the maps are 10x bigger, movement will still be perceived as slow. Also, I seriously doubt it actually has the fastest base movement speed if you're not sprinting. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

That might be the case, but perceived movement speed is relative to the size of the maps you play on though.. Ie, movement speed could be doubled, but if all the maps are 10x bigger, movement will still be perceived as slow. Also, I seriously doubt it actually has the fastest base movement speed if you're not sprinting. 

It does, buy a fair difference.

Global 8 second respawn time.

Constant thrusting back into cover every time you get hit once.

Much fast.

"Fastest paced Halo game ever..."

H5 4v4 Slayer games take longer than CE 2v2 Slayer games to the same kill count for fuck sake. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Yea I am officially gonna QTB whenever I get slayer. The most awful gametype in this game and it's less fun than anything I can think of. Power weapons, power weapons, power weapons, power weapons, autos, rifles. Super fun.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yea I am officially gonna QTB whenever I get slayer. The most awful gametype in this game and it's less fun than anything I can think of. Power weapons, power weapons, power weapons, power weapons, autos, rifles. Super fun.

All the gametypes are awful. The dev maps are awful. The base game is awful. Less awful than Halo 4, which was 8 gigs of grease trap sewage, but still awful. There's a much better game available within the settings that have been made available to us, but people talk it down and refuse to discuss anything that isn't "evolved" settings because a) it won't get enough exposure so fuck it why bother, b) Saucey hates alternate settings and will spam stupid fedora memes every time someone tries to start a discussion on them, and c) apparently none of the suggestions to improve things are "punishing" enough. As if the weird (and hilarious) obsession with "punishing" your game's audience isn't what brought about this latest round of cobbled-together shit in the first place.

• Downvote (-1) 1

All the gametypes are awful. The dev maps are awful. The base game is awful. Less awful than Halo 4, which was 8 gigs of grease trap sewage, but still awful. There's a much better game available within the settings that have been made available to us, but people talk it down and refuse to discuss anything that isn't "evolved" settings because a) it won't get enough exposure so fuck it why bother, b) Saucey hates alternate settings and will spam stupid fedora memes every time someone tries to start a discussion on them, and c) apparently none of the suggestions to improve things are "punishing" enough. As if the weird (and hilarious) obsession with "punishing" your game's audience isn't what brought about this latest round of cobbled-together shit in the first place.

What new settings are you referring to?

Regarding the last sentence, I would argue that recent games had the exact opposite intention.  Instead of punishing poor play (perhaps "mistakes bearing consequences" suits you better?), instead they reward you for doing nothing. Random ordinance. Sprinting out of danger. Thrusting around corners. The list goes on and on. I feel like your anger is misplaced.

Can I play customs cross platform (Xbox/PC)? My brother got Halo 5: Forge for Windows 10 and was wondering if he could join me in custom games while I am on the Xbox One console. Is it possible?

Can I play customs cross platform (Xbox/PC)? My brother got Halo 5: Forge for Windows 10 and was wondering if he could join me in custom games while I am on the Xbox One console. Is it possible?

Nope.

I just realized...

HALO 5 IS 90 GIGS HOLY FUCK

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just joined a FFA custom browser, played on multiple maps, and the settings were:

8 players

Pistol only starts(unlimited ammo)

Default starting grenades and grenades on map.

No power weapons

No power ups

24m radar.

Simply. Amazing. Most fun I've had in FFA since Halo 2. It's a shame something like that will never get into matchmaking because it's only Pistols and nades. But holy shit that was fun.

What new settings are you referring to?

Regarding the last sentence, I would argue that recent games had the exact opposite intention.  Instead of punishing poor play (perhaps "mistakes bearing consequences" suits you better?), instead they reward you for doing nothing. Random ordinance. Sprinting out of danger. Thrusting around corners. The list goes on and on. I feel like your anger is misplaced.

GoldPro was ignored right at game launch, despite providing a similar experience to Evolve.

Personally I don't agree with the philosophy of "remove and change absolutely everything we can"

I just realized...

HALO 5 IS 90 GIGS HOLY FUCK

I thought the same exact thing when he mentioned Halo 4 at 8 gigs.

Makes me wonder why it's so ridiculously big.

GoldPro was ignored right at game launch, despite providing a similar experience to Evolve.

Personally I don't agree with the philosophy of "remove and change absolutely everything we can"

Nah but I agree with the philosophy "make the settings as competitive as possible" so if that means removing a lot of the fluff then so be it.

Less changes are required when the game is actually good.

Nah but I agree with the philosophy "make the settings as competitive as possible" so if that means removing a lot of the fluff then so be it.

I can get behind smaller changes like removing sprint/radar, limiting AR ammo off spawn or removing the AR as a spawn weapon completely. I don't think promoting lazy strafe, removing thrust, and making the jumps super high/floaty makes the game any more competitive than it already is.

Less changes are required when the game is actually good.

My main problem with the Evolve settings is that the settings try to force the game into something it isn't. The options are too limited and the settings just don't end up feeling good to me. I disagree with throwing the baby out with the bathwater; as much as everyone loves to meme about it, not everything new in H5 is broken or uncompetitive.

• Upvote (+1) 1