CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Just got an email from Certain Affinity, they said they don't have any openings in level design at this moment but they loved my work and they'll get back to me the second there's a position available. Such an awesome feeling :)

Can you save them from making bad MP's

If anyone can its you

• Upvote (+1) 1

halo 6 will have wall running

quote this in a year when its first trailer is released

And here are the top 5 excuses people will use to support this change:

1. Every other modern FPS has wall running
  2. I read it in "Insert random ass book" so its canon
  3. It makes me feel like a Super Soldier
  4. Bungie always wanted to include it in a game, they just ran out of time
  5. It makes the game faster
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I will buy H5 if they make an Evolved playlist (and it stays for more than a week)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ah, the good 'ol "we need a classic playlist desperately" part of the Halo timeline, as is tradition for every game. And as is tradition, it will be removed due to low population because all the people who would play that left long ago and then the developer will say "Looks like the fanbase doesn't like classic Halo after all."

Can't wait.

Because the only people still play halo 5, like halo 5.

So they aren't gonna enjoy a classic playlist.

Maybe, just maybe they can update the MCC?

Or are we just entitled fucks that demand too much?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ah, the good 'ol "we need a classic playlist desperately" part of the Halo timeline, as is tradition for every game. And as is tradition, it will be removed due to low population because all the people who would play that left long ago and then the developer will say "Looks like the fanbase doesn't like classic Halo after all."

Can't wait.

Damn you're always a step ahead.

• Upvote (+1) 1

halo 6 will have wall running

quote me in a year

You must have really bad internet for this late of a double post

• Upvote (+1) 3

Unreal Tournament 4 has wall-running, wall-kicking, "thrusting", but the game plays fine.

Just something to consider.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm willing to bet that everything we dislike is going to be doubled down on.

SPRINT TWICE AS FAST<

THRUST TWICE AS MUCH

10 SHOT KILL MAGNUM

TWICE AS POWERFUL AUTOMATICS

TWICE THE AMOUNT OF POWER WEAPON CALL OUTS

686 INDUSTRIES

TWICE AS MANY PREMIUM REQ PACKS

WE HIRED PEOPLE WHO HATE HALO TWICE AS MUCH BECAUSE OF X, TO GIVE YOU TWICE AS MUCH OF THE SHIT YOU HAAAATTEEE.\

• Upvote (+1) 4

Unreal Tournament 4 has wall-running, wall-kicking, "thrusting", but the game plays fine.

Tell me when Halo has uniform movement speed and non recharging shields, no clamber, and not dog shit multiplayer maps and we might have a comparison

• Upvote (+1) 3

SPRINT TWICE AS FAST<

THRUST TWICE AS MUCH

10 SHOT KILL MAGNUM

TWICE AS POWERFUL AUTOMATICS

TWICE THE AMOUNT OF POWER WEAPON CALL OUTS

686 INDUSTRIES

TWICE AS MANY PREMIUM REQ PACKS

WE HIRED PEOPLE WHO HATE HALO TWICE AS MUCH BECAUSE OF X, TO GIVE YOU TWICE AS MUCH OF THE SHIT YOU HAAAATTEEE.\

That's where I lost it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Considering that much of the Halo community regards Halo 5 as a return to form, I'd wager your bet is true.

Frankie also has said that the foundation that Halo 5 has laid down, at least in regards to how it plays, is something to be refined and not reinvented. :/

And when you have a 343 employee lowkey mocking us when they sarcastically say that Mass Effect Andromeda having a ground pound breaks the game, you know we're in for a rough time.

(Yes, the last part happened, I engaged with them myself).

Like honestly, just give us one fucking game with everything that is "classic" Halo and let the community run it. After that you can do fuck all with Halo 6,7,8,9,10...etc

I like the Gears dev's philosophy of "Let's do it right before we do it different." 343 take fucking note.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Considering that much of the Halo community regards Halo 5 as a return to form, I'd wager your bet is true.

When you say "Halo community" in that context, I have to assume you mean the low population that still play Halo 5, not the millions who have left the franchise since 343 took over.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Tell me when Halo has uniform movement speed and non recharging shields, no clamber, and not dog shit multiplayer maps and we might have a comparison

Let's just assume Halo Ce as a base.

Wall Running and Wall Kick - These would allow players additional juking and route options.  I assume your point about non-recharging shields is concern towards these abilities being used to flee.  Yet sufficiently fast killtimes, as well as the health system if you choose to include it, both make that an infeasible usage of these abilities.  I mean your shields recharge in Ce, but the killtimes are so fast and the recharge so slow it only really matters after you actually won the fight.

Slide - I don't recall a single person ever complaining about its inclusion in Halo 5.  It doesn't have much of an impact but it's hard to make the argument it has any negative effect on the game.

Alternate Firing Modes - Bungie thought about doing it as far back as Halo 2, 343i tested the waters with this in Halo 4 and Halo 5, and if you count the Plasma Pistol it's been in the franchise in some form since Ce.  I think more weapons with alternate firing modes would do wonders for the depth and variety of the sandbox, without necessitating the inclusion of tons of pointless redundant weapons.  The new weapons that utilize it, such as the Plasma Caster and Lightrifle, seem to have been received well.

I realize 343i's assorted bullshit has left a sour taste in people's mouths, but I don't think we should just handwave new or different ideas altogether because of it.

That's where I lost it.

@

He had me at 10-shot Magnum.

Because history has proven something like that could actually happen...

• Upvote (+1) 1

That really is how 343 operates. When the Halo fanbase dislikes a certain new concept introduced, 343 doesn't take it to mean that the concept is inherently fucking bad, they instead think "this mechanic or concept is cool, we just didn't implement this thing in the proper way", and then reintroduce it in a different manner that is just as bad. They're too stubborn to admit that something they created isn't good.

Example: Because people dislike the gametype, the Breakout playlist ends up drawing in an extremely low population to the point of it being hard to find games. 343 removes the playlist. At this point, one would think they would use the extra playlist spot they've just cleared to introduce one of the many playlists that Halo fans have been requesting such as Social Slayer, permanent Classic playlist, Team Objective, Team Snipers, etc. Instead, they figure "Nahh, it's impossible that Breakout just isn't fun, COD has a single life gametype and people love it. We just didn't do it in the right way.  Let's add shotgun starts and radar to it and reintroduce it. THEN people will like it."

• Upvote (+1) 6

@

He had me at 10-shot Magnum.

Because history has proven something like that could actually happen...

Dual wielding Magnums in Halo 3 got you an 8SK TTK IRCC. We got close, even if by a technicality. XP

That really is how 343 operates. When the Halo fanbase dislikes a certain new concept introduced, 343 doesn't take it to mean that the concept is inherently fucking bad, they instead think "this mechanic or concept is cool, we just didn't implement this thing in the proper way", and then reintroduce it in a different manner that is just as bad. They're too stubborn to admit that something they created isn't good.

Example: Because people dislike the gametype, the Breakout playlist ends up drawing in an extremely low population to the point of it being hard to find games. 343 removes the playlist. At this point, one would think they would use the extra playlist spot they've just cleared to introduce one of the many playlists that Halo fans have been requesting such as Social Slayer, permanent Classic playlist, Team Objective, Team Snipers, etc. Instead, they figure "Nahh, it's impossible that Breakout just isn't fun, COD has a single life gametype and people love it. We just didn't do it in the right way. Let's add shotgun starts and radar to it and reintroduce it. THEN people will like it."

God forbid they get rid of their precious failed experimental gamemode. I'm glad people rejected it. Glad people are still rejecting it. The only thing I liked about it was the fact I could kill someone fast enough before they attempted to thrust/run away.