CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

"games no one cares about"

11Dj8Hi.png

Battlefront peak today was 12k so we can say H5 is probably around the same :thinking:

12K isn't bad.

But it's terrible for halo's standards

• Upvote (+1) 1

We are talking about a very small pool of content creators capable of dev level quality, on top of potential abuse from people running the lobbies.

Battlefield has admin abuse issues, and I think a similar problem will occur with Halo.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong though. I'm excited for custom browsers, but we're going to have to come to terms with potential problems that come with it. Just a little devils advocacy.

This is something I feel like nobody is talking about. I hope everyone is aware and ok with the fact that 75% of the server browser might just be unplayable garbage akin to Assassination Tower, awful infection variants, BTB in a single narrow hallway, and general host abuse disguised as normal games. Unlike in PC games where setting up a server of any permanence requires at least some kind of minimal technical skill level, time, and even money needed to operate, there won't be any barrier to entry to make "servers" on a console, and the lack of permanent servers means atrocious servers will always receive some kind of traffic and persist far longer than they would on PC. Small minutia in the details of the server browser will butterfly into having huge effects on the content it contains.

A server browser with the occasional butthurt lobby host is way better than having no server browser at all.

In all my years of Halo PC it was pretty much never an issue to run into abusing admins anyways.

Halo PC has a whole host of more important issues. When your average server is Rockets + infinite grenades + max vehicles CTF on Blood Gulch with the teleporting health packs mod and zero network fixes like nolead/fixed lead, admin abuse is honestly a trivial issue anyway.

As long as there isn't any commitment required for server upkeep, and servers spontaneously appear and disappear, abuse and awful content will become a norm. I hope all of this doesn't happen or at least is more minimal than the picture I've painted, but past experiences with the same ideas have left me skeptical.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Won't the issue solve itself over time?

You will have hosts and communities who become respected in the Halo fanbase for their consistently high quality servers.

You see a server saying "Official Team Beyond Lobby" hosted by...idk...say Infinity...and you'll trust it.

Then the people who consistently abuse will have word of it spread, and their lobbies will go ignored.

I suppose the risk for lobbies that pop up and disappear randomly always remains.  But I'm sure people will set up more "permanent" servers.

Halo PC as a game has tons of issues but I don't see how that relates to admin abuse.

I hope everyone is aware and ok with the fact that 75% of the server browser might just be unplayable garbage akin to Assassination Tower, awful infection variants

The point of a server browser is to cater to all interests and let people find the experience that is right for them.

So I'm okay with this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or they could just stop putting them in matchmaking and add a Custom Game/Server Browser to promote more socialization, variety, and community interaction :)

Or they could just say they are going to do that and really just not do it or just take a significantly incompetent amount of time to do so, or just lie and hype people right before a REQ pack release.  

or just all of the above

There should be both a customs server browser AND custom maps and game modes in MM.   

It doesn't have to be one or the other.  

There should also be a greenlight type system where when a map gets enough support and community backing, it automatically gets rolled into it's corresponding MM playlist. Let the community decide.  

They already have the stats and metrics needed to do so built into the content browser system. They have the metrics. DO SOMETHING WITH THEM 343.  Nothing that grinds my gears like unused metrics.   

...the fact is that 343 cannot keep up with the amount of audiences that Halo has presently.

A tripple A dev should be able to with ease.

You could have just removed the hash tag Infinity. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Titanfall 2 just got it's first update and they added a Field of View slider 70-110 on all platforms, they even did some weapon balancing and they added an insane amount of options to look controls.

343 should take notes on how to do it, BF 1 did it right with the first update and so did T2.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I was playing some Halo 5 score attack before to get some achievements and I just wanted to ask why there is a fucking dumb noise every time you get a damn medal. Ugh, that's a small thing that pisses me off about Halo 5. Little noises for EVERYTHING. I won't even be shocked if every time you get a kill in Halo 6, the announcer says "Good job! You got a kill!"

Now that's what I call moderation.  Someone cleaned up my quad post for me.  Thanks whoever did that. 

I was playing some Halo 5 score attack before to get some achievements and I just wanted to ask why there is a fucking dumb noise every time you get a damn medal. Ugh, that's a small thing that pisses me off about Halo 5. Little noises for EVERYTHING. I won't even be shocked if every time you get a kill in Halo 6, the announcer says "Good job! You got a kill!"

I also hate it when you get multi kills and they don't get announced because too much is happening.  I don't know how many times I've got killtacs and the announcer doesn't even announce it :(

Really grinds my panties in a wod. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just watched LNG's video on 343's soundtracks. I need an Act Man video to wash the taste out. I'm finding it less and less easy to get behind what LNG says in his videos.

Just watched LNG's video on 343's soundtracks. I need an Act Man video to wash the taste out. I'm finding it less and less easy to get behind what LNG says in his videos.

Yeah he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I honestly believe console games shouldn't even give you acceleration controls. Solid smooth aiming shouldn't need to be tweaked to test extent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I honestly believe console games shouldn't even give you acceleration controls. Solid smooth aiming shouldn't need to be tweaked to test extent.

I don't mind having the option, personally. As long as the game tells you what aiming option range is within the industry standard, kind of like when you turn on dev mode on Android phones, I feel it's fine.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah he doesn't know what he's talking about.

He had a pretty hilarious debate with Gamecheat on twitter last week. I 'll try to find it.

Edit: So I can't link it because there's too many versions of the thread, but it happened on Nov 14 (not last week) and HaloCanon, TehSpearhead, and LNG were excusing Halo 5's lack of features because of the retooling of the Halo engine between 4 and 5. Gamecheat and another guy pretty much prove him wrong on every post he makes.

• Upvote (+1) 3

He had a pretty hilarious debate with Gamecheat on twitter last week. I 'll try to find it.

Edit: So I can't link it because there's too many versions of the thread, but it happened on Nov 14 (not last week) and HaloCanon, TehSpearhead, and LNG were excusing Halo 5's lack of features because of the retooling of the Halo engine between 4 and 5. Gamecheat and another guy pretty much prove him wrong on every post he makes.

Game cheat is the homie

• Upvote (+1) 4

Going through some of my old YouTube videos. One of my most viewed and commented. Lol, almost forgot. 

--Video Snip--

Inspired me to go look up my oldest Halo Video. 

Not only is it my oldest Halo video on YouTube, it's my first ever YouTube upload as well.

Dear lord, they are turning the likes of the HCS thread shenanigans into a Reality TV series. Why is three four three wasting time negotiating on things like this?  

Where's the damn server browser for PC?