CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

yup

Is it also for new accounts?

I made an FFA account and won 9 out of 10 games (my first was a quit), but I got ranked in Gold 3. Some guy on Waypoint says the cap for new accounts is Plat 6, but I'm not exactly sure. Also, my first smurf lost 9 games and got ranked in Gold 6. Go figure.

Is it also for new accounts?

I made an FFA account and won 9 out of 10 games (my first was a quit), but I got ranked in Gold 3. Some guy on Waypoint says the cap for new accounts is Plat 6, but I'm not exactly sure. Also, my first smurf lost 9 games and got ranked in Gold 6. Go figure.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if it's new or not. I think It matters against who you're matching up against. Playing solo unranked on a new account I'm sure starts you off near the lower totem pole I assume, however if you were on a team of high Onyxes I would imagine it would be higher. I say this because on the two or three new accounts I've played on, I've always placed Onyx because I'm always playing with someone who's at least onyx-champ to match higher players and was placed higher because of it. However, I have not played in a significant amount of time so I could very well be wrong on how it currently stands. However I believe one of those accounts were post 1700 cap update.

Fair enough, but I hope you understand why I read it the way I did.

I still believe my post is relevant though, and I don't think you've nearly gone to the proper lengths to prove or even validate your thought process. It's a lot of guesswork, and it may even be accurate, but I don't think it's nearly enough to warrant dramatically changing Halo's formula. Especially when nearly the entire population is opposed to it.

Oh for sure, its a super complicated issue. And I literally don't expect Halo's formula to dramatically change, I just wish they would push towards making the community a little bit more uniform with game presentation in the future. Thanks for understanding haha

I see what @@Infinity is trying to convey. However, I think the only way such a setup would work is if we have a proper server browser so niche experiences are still easily available for everyone. The only issue I have with it is unlike matchmaking based experiences approved by the devs, there will be a noticeable lack of quality control. Granted that's the trade off, but the sheer amount of content the Halo community can produce is staggering, and everyone will be trying to push their own content, regardless of quality.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if it's new or not. I think It matters against who you're matching up against. Playing solo unranked on a new account I'm sure starts you off near the lower totem pole I assume, however if you were on a team of high Onyxes I would imagine it would be higher. I say this because on the two or three new accounts I've played on, I've always placed Onyx because I'm always playing with someone who's at least onyx-champ to match higher players and was placed higher because of it. However, I have not played in a significant amount of time so I could very well be wrong on how it currently stands. However I believe one of those accounts were post 1700 cap update.

Yeah, that's not true anymore. New accounts are hard capped at plat 6 due to no mm history to enhance the algorithm. 

I see what @@Infinity is trying to convey. However, I think the only way such a setup would work is if we have a proper server browser so niche experiences are still easily available for everyone. The only issue I have with it is unlike matchmaking based experiences approved by the devs, there will be a noticeable lack of quality control. Granted that's the trade off, but the sheer amount of content the Halo community can produce is staggering, and everyone will be trying to push their own content, regardless of quality.

I'm willing to bet the community can do better than 343i can on quality control.

The Halo Custom Games club on Xbox is now the only way I play H5, besides smurfing.

Yeah, that's not true anymore. New accounts are hard capped at plat 6 due to no mm history to enhance the algorithm. 

Really? When did this change occur? I got Diamond 4 on a fresh FFA account in August, it must have been something I've missed.

Best players retention since H3 guys

https://store.xbox.com/en-us/Xbox-One?page=1&sortby=MostPopular

But that doesn't measure game population. Judging by the words "most popular", the metric they want to convey is clearly the amount of times people log into the game in a set amount of time. And since Halo 5 is so good, people rarely log off which in turn means that people also rarely log on. Therefore, by these rankings, H5 is actually doing pretty well.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm willing to bet the community can do better than 343i can on quality control.

The Halo Custom Games club on Xbox is now the only way I play H5, besides smurfing.

We are talking about a very small pool of content creators capable of dev level quality, on top of potential abuse from people running the lobbies.

Battlefield has admin abuse issues, and I think a similar problem will occur with Halo.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong though. I'm excited for custom browsers, but we're going to have to come to terms with potential problems that come with it. Just a little devils advocacy.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A server browser with the occasional butthurt lobby host is way better than having no server browser at all.

In all my years of Halo PC it was pretty much never an issue to run into abusing admins anyways.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really? Wow. I suppose that makes sense... I don't know what do I care lol. Thanks for the correction if this is true.

But that doesn't measure game population. Judging by the words "most popular", the metric they want to convey is clearly the amount of times people log into the game in a set amount of time. And since Halo 5 is so good, people rarely log off which in turn means that people also rarely log on. Therefore, by these rankings, H5 is actually doing pretty well.

There is still no way Halo 5 has better player retention than Reach. Reach had 80,000 players on nightly over a year after release, Halo 5 is nowhere close to that. Probably not even 20k per night
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Best players retention since H3 guys

https://store.xbox.com/en-us/Xbox-One?page=1&sortby=MostPopular

Here you have the most played list. Its region based so in order to get a estimate you need to switch it around to see what's most played for each region.

UK most played

https://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/store/most-played/games/xbox

US most played

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox

There is still no way Halo 5 has better player retention than Reach. Reach had 80,000 players on nightly over a year after release, Halo 5 is nowhere close to that. Probably not even 20k per night

I actually looked it up a few minutes ago. The metric they use the rank the "most popular" list is by the frequency of reception of rfZ signals from each game's respective server allocations. Perchance, this happens to be a hobby of mine.

You can actually receive some of these signals as noise with a UHF radio. Each server "ping" will be marked by a brief noise, many of which sound somewhat like the "white noise" you'd get on a TV. It's an interesting experiment.

The issue with using this as a metric to judge game population is that different games will be allocated different types of servers based on their LPS values (load per second). Battlefield 1 for example uses LL (low load) servers, and therefore requires many more than a game like Halo which uses HL (high-load). Because BF1 has more servers, it'll transmit a greater frequency of rfZ signals, and be ranked higher on the "most popular" list.

I can actually usually find Team Arena games on H5 within 7-8 minutes, so the population is probably healthy and possibly comparable to H3. There just isn't enough data to draw conclusions.

Halo 5 servers also suck fucking ass so they probably aren't transmitting any type of signal for extended periods of time if I had to take a guess.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can actually usually find Team Arena games on H5 within 7-8 minutes, so the population is probably healthy and possibly comparable to H3. There just isn't enough data to draw conclusions.

You aren't allowed to defend Halo 5's population. That's my job, please adhere to the forum script.

You aren't allowed to defend Halo 5's population. That's my job, please adhere to the forum script.

Based on some of the things you have said regarding the subject, I can safely say that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Here you have the most played list. Its region based so in order to get a estimate you need to switch it around to see what's most played for each region.

UK most played

US most played

wait more people are playing black ops 3 compared to infinite warfare???

wuut

wait more people are playing black ops 3 compared to infinite warfare???

wuut

CoD is kind of split between IW and MWR, however with that being said, a lot people didn't even buy IW because of that bundle. I would say it's a slight possibility it has a higher population. I know when Black Ops came out MW2 held a pretty hefty population for quite a while. Both of those game used to hold top spots on the most played games list month to month for a while.

UK most played

US most played

"games no one cares about"

11Dj8Hi.png

Battlefront peak today was 12k so we can say H5 is probably around the same :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 1