CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Halo is turning 15. I was 9 years old when I played my first game ever on Halo CE on Blood Gulch. I feel old.

People really need to approach this as if H3A will never happen , and the 15th will pass without any major developments. You are all setting yourself up for disappointment. This is 343. You should expect NOTHING... that way, there's a slight you might get pleasantly surprised, but no chance of being disappointed.

• Upvote (+1) 5

People really need to approach this as if H3A will never happen , and the 15th will pass without any major developments. You are all setting yourself up for disappointment.

Yea. What's the saying? A key to a happy life is expecting less.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea. What's the saying? A key to a happy life is expecting less.

In this case it's more "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'd bet the classic playlist was in the works for awhile based on that reddit post. They probably had plenty of time to mess with the settings to get it right, but instead we get this. Unreal.

The only thing worth playing for that 343 added was the Achilles armor/helmet, but it's locked behind so much crap that it's almost not even worth trying to get.

I'd be down to push for it still, but I think the BE spartan company has completely lost the drive to play for it. We're to a point where it does require a specific playstyle now, and unfortunately that includes playing Warzone because we need a shitload of marine kills. Are you in our company?

Destroying Vehicles: About 1300 more

Driver Snipes: About 130 more

Marine Kills: About 21,000 more

Spartan Charges: About 7,000 more

Splatters: About 3,700 more

Kills With Ground Vehicle: About 26,000 more

Assassinations: About 4,600 more

If we feel like playing Halo together again, this could be a fun way to get some people together for some Beyond play nights. I still want Achilles.

In this case it's more "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

That too. I've stuck with being hopeful about 343's direction for Halo for far longer than most. I want a H3A as much as the next guy, but I find myself being pessimistic of how it would turn out.

That too. I've stuck with being hopeful about 343's direction for Halo for far longer than most. I want a H3A as much as the next guy, but I find myself being pessimistic of how it would turn out.

343 is a studio made up mostly of contractors, I'd say as little as 40% of their games are made by in house employees. That's even more true of the anniversary edition Halos. The one aspect that 343 handles is networking, which to be fair was an absolute mess in MCC. The same would be true of H3a. Saber interactive handles the graphic engine in the campaign. Certain affinity builds the mp. Some random shmuck company does the UI.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 is a studio made up mostly of contractors, I'd say as little as 40% of their games are made by in house employees. That's even more true of the anniversary edition Halos. The one aspect that 343 handles is networking, which to be fair was an absolute mess in MCC. The same would be true of H3a. Saber interactive handles the graphic engine in the campaign. Certain affinity builds the mp. Some random shmuck company does the UI.

What is 60% of the studio doing?

What is 60% of the studio doing?

Loooooots of contractors brought on for temporary work, that's how a lot of the industry works now. Certain affinity possibly being the most notable studio that has a hand in so many games. Most of the contractors are artists, programmers, voice actors, level designers. Basically people that will be of no use to a game studio once the game is actually released. From that point you just need some small teams on maintenance, maybe UI updates, playlist management, while the remaining studios build the groundwork for the next title until contractors are brought in again. Ever notice how certain affinity handled all the dlc for Reach and the 4?

This is the reason there's so many issues and discontinuities with 343 games. Such a large percentage of their work force are temporary contractors that don't have a huge knowledge of Halo, and it takes excellent management to keep THAT many new employees up to date on tasks on a daily basis. Everyone does their own thing and no one knows what the fuck is going on because half the people there are only present for a few months under difficult crunches. Which means that the larger your studio get the more growing pains there are and nothing gets done. It's why Halo 5 has dick for content despite them having 3 years to make the game. It wasn't a continuation from Halo 4, it was a fresh start because everything outside of the campaign in the 4 was done by certain affinity. There's cohesion within that single studio. Come Halo 5 where certain affinity has no hand in the pot and you've got workers coming from every studio imaginable..things get messy. And 343 does NOT have the management skills or time to deal with those problems effectively.

• Upvote (+1) 9

snip

One would think that a tech giant like MS would go out of their own way and actually create a cohesive and competent group that works on the juggernaut household franchise "Halo." Instead they get together a rag tag team of "college graduates" (MultiLockOn, Circa 2016), people who hate Halo, and smug liars for management. 

Look at some of the Sony exclusive devs, like Naughty Dog; they make quality games on a consistent basis, not only in storytelling, but technical accomplishment as well. It would be in Microsofts best interest to create a similarly skilled team, instead they opt for amateurs.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I actually went out of my way recently to pursue a level design position in the game industry after years of telling myself I'm not interested in working on games (I'm an aerospace engineering major, but at the end of the day you've gotta do what you love) I reached out to 4 studios two weeks ago offering my level design portfolio to each of them. 343, certain affinity, id software, and treyarch. The least accomplished studio (343) was the only one to tell me I'm not qualified enough. The other three studios all sent email confirmations that they're looking over my portfolio and I have an interview at treyarch next week.

I don't even know how to reply. Lol. Guess they have begun projecting their own failures onto others, as if they made some amazing maps for H5. Congrats on the recognition by the other giants!

• Upvote (+1) 3

I actually went out of my way recently to pursue a level design position in the game industry after years of telling myself I'm not interested in working on games (I'm an aerospace engineering major, but at the end of the day you've gotta do what you love) I reached out to 4 studios two weeks ago offering my level design portfolio to each of them. 343, certain affinity, id software, and treyarch. The least accomplished studio (343) was the only one to tell me I'm not qualified enough. The other three studios all sent email confirmations that they're looking over my portfolio and I have an interview at treyarch next week.

Good luck. Maybe you can convince Treyarch to stop using a 3 lane rule for EVERY map. Now that would be great.

Treyarch? You must have shown some amazing proficiency at making 3-lane maps :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3A will be teased heavily, or outright announced during the stream. They are putting more effort into stream advertisement then usual, and are obviously trying to get larger than normal viewing numbers for more people see the hype reveal live.

Or it'll be a Falcon fiasco again and nothing will happen.

Haven't played Halo 5 in a couple weeks. Feels good, as it was getting stale as the Oceanic population dwindled. I did try to play doubles, but can't find games in that anymore because of the FPS releases. BF1 is though.

H3A will be teased heavily, or outright announced during the stream. They are putting more effort into stream advertisement then usual, and are obviously trying to get larger than normal viewing numbers for more people see the hype reveal live.

Or it'll be a Falcon fiasco again and nothing will happen.

Has Xbox promoted it heavily anywhere?

If no, expect nothing - especially H3A lmao.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's a bit incorrect - yes, they contract a ton of employees because there's pretty high turnover for a lot of position in game development. Especially artists, QA, etc. because you don't need a full staff of QA if you don't have a game to test yet for example. Those contractors are however in house. There are plenty of contractors at 343 who have been at the studio from 18 months to 3+ years. It's not a 343 strategy, it's just a part of how Microsoft identifies employees. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well here's how I'm looking at it.

Id software is my number 1 choice. The next Doom sequel is heading in an awesome direction, and quake champions is an "arena" shooter which is by far the most fun and flexible type of fps to design levels for. They have probably the very best game engine on console right now, incredible up to date software, and a very home grown team. However, it's in Dallas Texas (ew) and offers the smallest salary (61k annually). I live in socal LA area for the record.

2nd choice is certain affinity just because it'd be interesting designing for a wide prospect of games, being able to stretch your wings. Plus they have close ties with Halo which could be a fun possibility. They're located in Austin Texas (better) and are offering a 67k annual salary.

Treyarch is an incredible studio, if you've played Blops 3 you'll have seen that game is a piece of art. So much top notch talent at that studio. However I could give two shits for COD or designing maps for it, sounds super boring. HOWEVER. It's in santa Monica (1.5 hour drive, not bad really) and they're offering 75k to 95k as a level designer lmao so you can see where all those micro transactions in Activision games go. Itd be nice to not have to relocate.

I could give two shits about working at 343. They're studio is apparently very unsocial and no one really knows what anyone else is doing. I do like the Seattle weather though.

Id - Dallas - 61k

Certain Affinity - Austin - 67k

Treyarch - Santa Monica - 75k +

You can see there's an inverse relationship with where I want to work versus the situations surrounding each studio.

This is assuming I even land the job of course which is still up in the air :) I could bomb the interviews.

I'm freakin' thrilled for you man. I know you'll do great things, and I can't wait to see them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

IT = Contractors.  Even if you work at a place for years, you could still be considered a "Contractor".  We are acting as if this is out of the norm for game/software development everywhere.  And whatever percentages people are throwing are are of course horseshit, we have no way of knowing that.